CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

I don't see a lockout happening. I say this cause I booked two Rink of Dreams games already for the opening day and closing day. If it does happen how ever, I still have two dates for open ice! Lol. so at least we get to see the new huge ads jumbo tron they put up!

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I want to throw a trade out there right now.

H: Vinny Lecavier
W: Some one decent!! Throw some proposals out![/QUOTE]

Cody Hodgson, Ville Leino, and a 1st

[quote name='DestroVega']Concerning the lockout, the owners are being really stupid. Another season lost would be very damaging to the sport.

If you look deeper into it, it's actually more about owners vs owners than owners vs players but the result, unfortunately, will still be the same.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the NHL has increased profits since 2005. But not all teams have seen the increase. Honestly, I feel like most of this is Phoenix's fault, lol. They won their damn division last year (which was extremely competitive) and STILL had shitty attendance. So, it's not even a matter of fans not wanting to pay to see a bad team at this point. Just give them to Hamilton already and get this shit over with. I realize the Predators were in the same situation a few years back, but their attendance has never been as bad as Phoenix's. Nashville got new ownership, found a way to get people excited about the team, and have had their best attendance ever. None of that came from revenue sharing.

You can look at the league attendance numbers here.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

[quote name='Canbanana']Woo getting slim pickings, I'm in for the Wild I guess. Gamer tag is Canbanana in CST and very flexible schedule. I have the game ordered through Toys R Us so I may be a few days late to the party.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Glad to have you here.

For those keeping track, that puts us up to 19 teams total. 10 Western Conference and 9 Eastern Conference. Only 11 spots left!

I heard from someone who knows a pretty reliable source that there is now way the season starts in time. Just hope we only miss a month of the regular season.

[quote name='jza1218']I heard from someone who knows a pretty reliable source that there is no way the season starts in time. Just hope we only miss a month of the regular season.[/QUOTE]

I mean, you don't even need to know some sources it won't start on time, nothing has happened and they will definitely lock out.

The problem is, I just don't know where you go from here, especially when it's owners vs owners.

If the owners want to scale back salary, why would they be giving out $96 million contracts? It's because some teams don't care and some owners are like "WTF are you doing?"

It's not fair to scale back again, and they already fixed the problem with the hard cap being totally tied in to the revenue stream.

This isn't really about players and their contracts, it's about Philly offering Weber a ridiculous offer sheet, his team having to match, and then complain about it.

Recently Betteman was quoted as saying the NHL recovered from the last lockout because they have some of the greatest fans...I don't think its worth testing that theory again. The problem with NHL, MLB, NFL, and NBA lockouts is that thers no alternative, so of course leagues will eventually recover given enough time.

It will start late. Great thing with NHL is that the players can play any where else. Mostl they go to the khl. Still playing and making bank. Problem is owners signing ten year deals. Make the cap 4 or 5 at least.

Yeah, I agree. I don't really like long term deals either. They're almost never worth it in any sport. It's unreasonable to predict how a player is going to perform at 35 based on how he's performing at 25. It's just stupid. And yeah, with the Weber situation, part of me even wonders how much the Flyers wanted that deal...or if they knew that Nashville would have no choice but to match it...thus just driving the price up. I guess Nashville could have always told Philly, "Fine, you pay him." But it just feels dirty having other teams dictate the market like that.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I agree. I don't really like long term deals either. They're almost never worth it in any sport. It's unreasonable to predict how a player is going to perform at 35 based on how he's performing at 25. It's just stupid. And yeah, with the Weber situation, part of me even wonders how much the Flyers wanted that deal...or if they knew that Nashville would have no choice but to match it...thus just driving the price up. I guess Nashville could have always told Philly, "Fine, you pay him." But it just feels dirty having other teams dictate the market like that.[/QUOTE]

Yup, Philly was really trying to stick it to them in my opinion.

Also about long contracts, ask the Islanders about long contracts, lol.

[quote name='DestroVega']Yup, Philly was really trying to stick it to them in my opinion.

Also about long contracts, ask the Islanders about long contracts, lol.[/QUOTE]

Why would Philly try to stick it to Nashville of all teams?

[quote name='Twick87']Why would Philly try to stick it to Nashville of all teams?[/QUOTE]

No idea. Maybe the owners have squabbled about the league financial structure. But it's obvious they made him a crazy offer, and seemed totally indifferent on actually landing him.

[quote name='DestroVega']No idea. Maybe the owners have squabbled about the league financial structure. But it's obvious they made him a crazy offer, and seemed totally indifferent on actually landing him.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know that I'd say they were indifferent on landing him. They needed a defenseman bad (still do). But I do think they offered more than they would have had Weber been an unrestricted free agent. I don't think they really expected to get him...and if they had, they may have thought "Damn! Wish we hadn't spent so much money!" lol. Whether or not you think that's the same as "driving up the price" is subjective, but it definitely backed Nashville into a corner.

[quote name='DestroVega']No idea. Maybe the owners have squabbled about the league financial structure. But it's obvious they made him a crazy offer, and seemed totally indifferent on actually landing him.[/QUOTE]

I think they actually wanted to get him. Obviously they don't want to pay anyone more than they have to, but they knew (or thought) that overpaying was the only way that Nashville wouldn't match. He got more from the offer sheet than I think he would've gotten as a UFA, he probably would've gotten 12 years in the 80-90 million range as a UFA.

[quote name='Twick87']Why would Philly try to stick it to Nashville of all teams?[/QUOTE]

Why not? Owners dislike each other. It's part of the territory. To drive up the price would piss the owner off of course. It's like me saying "I have Stamkos for trade." Matt offers me up Quick and Kopitar and I deny him and take Nates Weber. I generally didn't like Matt so his offer is refused (JUST an example Matt!) even of how awesome it is and I take Nates cause I liked him more. Nashville countered and said fuck you, he's ours. Thus, Philly sticking it to Nashville.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Why not? Owners dislike each other. It's part of the territory. To drive up the price would piss the owner off of course. It's like me saying "I have Stamkos for trade." Matt offers me up Quick and Kopitar and I deny him and take Nates Weber. I generally didn't like Matt so his offer is refused (JUST an example Matt!) even of how awesome it is and I take Nates cause I liked him more. Nashville countered and said fuck you, he's ours. Thus, Philly sticking it to Nashville.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Most recent example is in the NBA. Dwight Howard wanted to go to Brooklyn desperately, and they had a better offer on the table than LA, but they didn't want to placate him and took the lesser deal. Actually was the lesser of 3 other deals lol.

When you are hurting your own franchise though, I think that's stupid.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Why not? Owners dislike each other. It's part of the territory. To drive up the price would piss the owner off of course. It's like me saying "I have Stamkos for trade." Matt offers me up Quick and Kopitar and I deny him and take Nates Weber. I generally didn't like Matt so his offer is refused (JUST an example Matt!) even of how awesome it is and I take Nates cause I liked him more. Nashville countered and said fuck you, he's ours. Thus, Philly sticking it to Nashville.[/QUOTE]

1. That's a completely different scenario. In a trade teams can just say no thanks and keep the player and wait for better offers. In this case, Tampa Bay has all the leverage. With an offer sheet, the team is forced to make a difficult decision rather quickly.

2. I don't think any NHL gm would turn down a superior offer just because they don't like the other gm. In your example Tampa would most likely take LA's offer unless they thought Weber was more valuable than Kopitar + Quick (although they need a goalie so I'm sure they don't).

NHL GM's sign players to $110 million contracts to make their team better, not to "stick it" to other teams.

[quote name='DestroVega']Yup. Most recent example is in the NBA. Dwight Howard wanted to go to Brooklyn desperately, and they had a better offer on the table than LA, but they didn't want to placate him and took the lesser deal. Actually was the lesser of 3 other deals lol.

When you are hurting your own franchise though, I think that's stupid.[/QUOTE]

Trading a player for draft picks is a lot different than being forced into either signing your best player to a $110 million contract, or giving him up for a few late 1st round picks.

[quote name='Twick87']NHL GM's sign players to $110 million contracts to make their team better, not to "stick it" to other teams.[/QUOTE]

But that still doesn't address whether they overbid due to Weber being a RFA...which in turn forces Nashville to overpay. Like I said, as good of a player as Weber is, if the Preds had opted to let him walk, you have to wonder if Philly would have any buyer's remorse. But at the end of the day, they got let off the hook. I guess that's the biggest thing I didn't like about it. The Flyers 100% dictated the contract that the Preds have to foot the bill on. I don't know what a better alternative would really be though, other than extending your players before they can talk to other teams. But I'm sure a lot of guys would still want to "see what they're worth".

Hopefully we will see these conversations pop up when we get out league going. Would be great to see peoples different philosophies factor into trades and such

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But that still doesn't address whether they overbid due to Weber being a RFA...which in turn forces Nashville to overpay. Like I said, as good of a player as Weber is, if the Preds had opted to let him walk, you have to wonder if Philly would have any buyer's remorse. But at the end of the day, they got let off the hook. I guess that's the biggest thing I didn't like about it. The Flyers 100% dictated the contract that the Preds have to foot the bill on. I don't know what a better alternative would really be though, other than extending your players before they can talk to other teams. But I'm sure a lot of guys would still want to "see what they're worth".[/QUOTE]

If the Preds would've let him walk they would have a ridiculously hard time replacing both him and Suter. They'd miss the playoffs, and probably be forgotten about soon enough. They might've even been relocated in a few years once fans stopped coming to watch a losing team.

The Flyers on the other hand would be overpaying, but at the same time they spent what they had to in order to sign one of the best players at a position they desperately needed.

In my opinion, the compensation teams get from having one of their players lost to an offer sheet is not enough. The way it's set up now leaves poor teams at a huge disadvantage. I would like to see the compensation be something like this: a certain % of the contract offer paid to the team as well (ie. 50%). For example if Philly signed Weber to a 10 year, $100 million contract then the compensation would be $50 million to Nashville over the life of the contract. This would help out the poor teams, and it would reduce the contract offers given to RFA's because of the added cost.

[quote name='Twick87']The Flyers on the other hand would be overpaying, but at the same time they spent what they had to in order to sign one of the best players at a position they desperately needed.[/QUOTE]

You can apply this same statement to the Preds based on what actually happened. I agree about compensation though. I guess that's just the thing. In most sports, being a RFA seems to favor the team more than the player. In the NHL, it almost feels like the opposite. Had Weber gotten to UFA status, Nashville would have been able to counter Philly's offer with a different one that may have worked better for them (less years, bigger bonuses, etc). The concept of "match it or lose the player" just seems very limiting. Doesn't seem like Weber was very "restricted", lol.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']You can apply this same statement to the Preds based on what actually happened. I agree about compensation though. I guess that's just the thing. In most sports, being a RFA seems to favor the team more than the player. In the NHL, it almost feels like the opposite. Had Weber gotten to UFA status, Nashville would have been able to counter Philly's offer with a different one that may have worked better for them (less years, bigger bonuses, etc). The concept of "match it or lose the player" just seems very limiting. Doesn't seem like Weber was very "restricted", lol.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Also, from what I read, it sounded like he wanted to play for Philly. Of course after the Preds matched he was saying all the right things but thats one more thing u have to look at when committing that much money to one player is their desire to play for you. If I'm the Preds GM I'm listening to all offers from this point forward and hopefully get a decent return for him.

I've decided to come back to NHL '13 after a couple tears of plauing KHL'12. The whole "Russian text on everything" kind of took away fro the game! ;)

I'm interested in joining the league, and I'm glad they built it up for this year. I'll roll with the Ducks and see what happens.

[quote name='Panther1484']I've decided to come back to NHL '13 after a couple tears of plauing KHL'12. The whole "Russian text on everything" kind of took away fro the game! ;)

I'm interested in joining the league, and I'm glad they built it up for this year. I'll roll with the Ducks and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

In soviet russia, game play you! Alright somebody set the unibomber up with the ducks. :twoguns:

[quote name='Panther1484']I've decided to come back to NHL '13 after a couple tears of plauing KHL'12. The whole "Russian text on everything" kind of took away fro the game! ;)

I'm interested in joining the league, and I'm glad they built it up for this year. I'll roll with the Ducks and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Good to see ya back buddy!

Awesome! With Shady joining as the Ducks, we've got at least 3 human players in each division. That's really encouraging. I really hope everybody sticks with this. I'd like to see us complete several seasons.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Awesome! With Shady joining as the Ducks, we've got at least 3 human players in each division. That's really encouraging. I really hope everybody sticks with this. I'd like to see us complete several seasons.[/QUOTE]

I think that'd be great too. Really excited for this league to take off!

[quote name='Twick87']In soviet russia, game play you! Alright somebody set the unibomber up with the ducks. :twoguns:[/QUOTE]

Hello this is Peggy! That's Mr UniPanther to you! :p

[quote name='Vulcan2484']Good to see ya back buddy! [/QUOTE]

Glad to be back! Since hockey is really at it's highest point right now, it's a great time to jump back in....wait, what about a lockout?...Aw fuck!

[quote name='Matt Young']Shady, we are now bitter rivals. Prepare for pain! [/QUOTE]

Haha yes Matt. We are as bitter as a hockey rivalry on the sunny West Coast can be! I was going to go with Columbus, but there is no Relocation feature. *rimshot* As long as I can whoop your ass wearing the old school Mighty Ducks uniforms, I'm ready to go! And by whoop your ass, I mean squeak out a 2-1 victory thanks to bad A.I. ;)

Ajh, Captain obvious, Shady, Flyers fan...its like a big NHL alumni reunion *tear*

And for my availability, between 10-12est weekdays, fairly open weekends. Can work my schedule around fairly easily weekdays after 7est with couple days notice

Hey anybody who got season pass, could you play madden today or is it definitely cut off this morning of game release? Wondering cause I have no idea when my copy of NHL will come from toys r us

[quote name='moojuice']Ajh, Captain obvious, Shady, Flyers fan...its like a big NHL alumni reunion *tear*

And for my availability, between 10-12est weekdays, fairly open weekends. Can work my schedule around fairly easily weekdays after 7est with couple days notice[/QUOTE]

This should fit the "welcome back" theme this league is generating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utB81p1erDw

Oh, and I can play whenever.

[quote name='moojuice']Ajh, Captain obvious, Shady, Flyers fan...its like a big NHL alumni reunion *tear*

And for my availability, between 10-12est weekdays, fairly open weekends. Can work my schedule around fairly easily weekdays after 7est with couple days notice[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was hoping this would give us the opportunity to bring a lot of people back in here. It's really our first chance to do an NHL league right...so the more familiar face, the better.

[quote name='DestroVega']Hey anybody who got season pass, could you play madden today or is it definitely cut off this morning of game release? Wondering cause I have no idea when my copy of NHL will come from toys r us[/QUOTE]

I didn't even try my early release of Madden today, but from my understanding, it was only good until midnight. It's not like we'll be starting this league on day one though, so you'll have time.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I was hoping this would give us the opportunity to bring a lot of people back in here. It's really our first chance to do an NHL league right...so the more familiar face, the better.

I didn't even try my early release of Madden today, but from my understanding, it was only good until midnight. It's not like we'll be starting this league on day one though, so you'll have time.[/QUOTE]

Oh I know, but I'm on vacation that week and want to just play as much as possible. It's the main reason I'm considering season pass.

Anybody else having troble beating the demo's HUT Tournament? I have made iy to the last round once or twice only to be beaten buy real flukey goals.

[quote name='moojuice']Haha, they really had to stretch that to make that a music related story. Almost did a spot take at the headline[/QUOTE]

My favorite part was "So...apparently he's pretty good. He's like the Carrie Underwood of hockey." lol

[quote name='ajh2298']Anybody else having troble beating the demo's HUT Tournament? I have made iy to the last round once or twice only to be beaten buy real flukey goals.[/QUOTE]

Yes I am in the same position. I have yet to make it to the final round, but I'll keep firing it at the net and hope.

[quote name='jza1218']So the new legends are disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Not if the female players have beards it won't be! ;)

Also, Dominik Hasek is the only legend I need. I would trade Shea Weber and Gary's right testicle to have him on my team, lol.

[quote name='jza1218']So the new legends are disappointing.[/QUOTE]

That's not all of them though, just a couple. I just want my damn Brett Hull and Miken stick is all.

So are these legends playable in all game modes? Will we get into a bidding war over Gretzky? Can I fire Boudreau and hire Gordan Bombay as my coach? Which retailer is offering the knucklepuck as a per-order exclusive? THESE ARE THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS I NEED ANSWERED?

:whee:

[quote name='Vulcan2422']That's not all of them though, just a couple. I just want my damn Brett Hull and Miken stick is all.[/QUOTE]

I demand Messier.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not if the female players have beards it won't be! ;)

Also, Dominik Hasek is the only legend I need. I would trade Shea Weber and Gary's right testicle to have him on my team, lol.[/QUOTE]

Right one I sold awhile ago, left is still up for trade though!

bread's done
Back