CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Oh, no. It became such a "formula" for what worked. We learned pretty quickly that speed and acceleration made very little difference if you just put your endurance at 99 and used the hustle button the entire game. I can't even picture EASHL this year if you won't be able to get up to a 99 AND you'll have to actually use different skating tactics. People are going to lose their minds, lol. :)[/QUOTE]

will most of them even know there are tactics to skating? I'm curious to find out!

I'm liking it a lot. Can't wait for the game.

I like how the ice is skated over in some parts and other parts nothing. AI is actually good and so are the goalies. I'm truly impressed. No more post whistle shit either.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I'm liking it a lot. Can't wait for the game.

I like how the ice is skated over in some parts and other parts nothing. AI is actually good and so are the goalies. I'm truly impressed. No more post whistle shit either.[/QUOTE]

Pucks seem to get deflected more, tougher to get around defensemen, etc.

Goalies also seem better and more aggressive but I don't know if I like all the animations. Broduer was nonchalantly using his blocker at times pretty far out if the crease.

Does seem like a better true feel overall.

Just downloaded it now and the first thing I loaded up was Free Skate...which to me is the best way to test glitches. Right away, I could tell the goalies are much more reactive. They follow the puck better and will move with you when you cut across the net, as opposed to just lunging across at the last second. This makes for much easier saves on simple shots. Even when I was able to get ahead of the goalie with dekes or speed, he still had the desperation saves to fall back on, and in this instance, was still able to keep the puck out of the net.

Now, getting to where I think a glitch could possibly come from (granted, I've only played about 5 minutes, but I've gotten this to work twice): the old "skate backward at the goalie then turn and whip it by him" thing. The goalie seems much slower to react to this and leaves a lot of holes. I invite everybody to try it out. I'm doing it by skating straight at the goalie, holding LT at center ice. Then, when I'm about at the hash marks, let go of LT and take your shot as your skater is turning. The timing can be a little tricky to ensure that you spin back toward your forehand instead of doing that stupid spinorama shot that we're all used to. But if done right, the goalie seems to really struggle with it.

EDIT - All right, well, I'm not sure how I feel about skating backward at the goalie. It does seem to increase your chances at scoring (at one point, I scored on 3 consecutive shots doing this move), but in a weird way, I could swear that the goalie was actually learning as he started to play it better. Maybe my skill at doing it wasn't totally consistent, but I do feel like there's something there. If you alter the move a bit...kinda dance around while you're skating backward, it gets the goalie moving more, which can help. I also started skating at him on the left post, then cutting across in front of him right at the crease, and then letting go of LT to turn and shoot short side at the right post (with Kopitar...a lefty. You'd do the opposite with a righty). This made it easier to turn back to my forehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
The feeling of the weight/momentum of the skaters is crazy good and the dump in strategy seems so much more realistic and effective, this is much more strategic and less arcade-y then past NHL games, imho. Learning to glide before moving the puck around is new for me and I am still trying to get a good feel for offensive

On the plus side (I guess?) I have played the NHL moments thing several times and gone to multiple OT's against the Coyotes. I do the switch with the camera and feel that going down this year has a big advantage over going up on the default camera. I switched my view to Classic and that pulls the camera up a bit, more visible ice, that seemed to fix it.

Anyone try the new Dynamic Camera view?

[quote name='wiz2020']Learning to glide before moving the puck around is new for me and I am still trying to get a good feel for offensive

On the plus side (I guess?) I have played the NHL moments thing several times and gone to multiple OT's against the Coyotes. I do the switch with the camera and feel that going down this year has a big advantage over going up on the default camera. I switched my view to Classic and that pulls the camera up a bit, more visible ice, that seemed to fix it.

Anyone try the new Dynamic Camera view?[/QUOTE]

I finally went into the Play Now mode, and I had the same thought. It feels really weird to let go of the left stick during play. Definitely something I need to get used to. It's been so ingrained in me to hurry up and do things as fast as I can before I get destroyed, it makes me wonder how much people will adjust how they play.

I've been using the Ice Camera High setting for years now. I do always up though. I can maybe see how going down might make it feel more natural to let go of the left stick, but I think I'll get used to it eventually, so having an alternating camera would probably just confuse me more than anything. Haven't looked at the Dynamic Camera...but if it's anything like the BAP "Action" camera, I'll pass, lol.

Oh, for anybody who doesn't know, you get a free HUT pack for beating the NHL Moments Live scenario and another one for sending a NHL 13 Demo invite (you don't actually have to send it. Just select one of your friends and then back out of the message). I was having some trouble staying connected to the EA servers (shocking, I know), so I had to do the NHL Moments Live thing again. But it worked the second time.

EDIT - Ok...maybe that's why I was having trouble staying connected. I just got dropped from Xbox Live and when I reconnected, I was told I had to do a system update. Smartglass? Full ESPN? Please????

I found out EA server had dropped out after I won a 4 OT game! And that was like my 14th try, late for work playing it this morning just to have to go home and do it again and hope the servers hold.

While playing the HUT part of the demo I noticed some of the bad AI from last year. The D-man stepped up at the worst time and missed the puck and then blocked me from getting back as well. Both D also were in one corner at one point, leaving the other half of the ice completely open.

Not game breaking, but also not a great sign.

If you start a HUT team is that gonna save over to the main game? I remember last year it brought up the team I had the year before automatically.

[quote name='DestroVega']If you start a HUT team is that gonna save over to the main game? I remember last year it brought up the team I had the year before automatically.[/QUOTE]

Not in the demo. If you remember, they just give you a "starter pack" (which is actually loaded with NHL players) in the demo to screw around with. But every time you leave the mode, it wipes it clean. HUT in the full game will probably carry over though. They talked about giving you the puck bonus for how much you played the mode last year on the livestream yesterday.

I really like how passes are constantly being broken up because of sticks actually doing things. It's nice that you can't just slip a pass by a defender and have them stand there and do nothing. Also, the difference in speed from player to player is very evident. Pretty excited thus far.

Got home from work and got to play some more. Thank god for no more post whistle crap. This feels exactly like how it feels to skate. Turn to high at a good speed, you'll dig your heel in which I have seen a few times. Something little I noticed is that people take pictures now. Those little flashes of light are neat. Getting in fights takes some good time as well.

Edit- Game went to shoot out and it literally went through the rosters twice before I scored the game winner. Five Hole slap shot. I hate to say it but....I'm impressed.

edit -Even more excited! http://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/ylgn0/ea_has_already_fixed_one_of_the_glitch_goals/

[quote name='jza1218']I really like how passes are constantly being broken up because of sticks actually doing things. It's nice that you can't just slip a pass by a defender and have them stand there and do nothing. Also, the difference in speed from player to player is very evident. Pretty excited thus far.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I liked that too. It made the default difficulty feel a lot harder. Another thing I noticed was that the way the CPU approaches the forecheck is completely different. New Jersey's forwards didn't just give up on the puck once I had control of it. They came at me hard trying to get it back. Kind of took me by surprise.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']edit -Even more excited! http://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/ylgn0/ea_has_already_fixed_one_of_the_glitch_goals/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see I'm not the only person who thought the "skate backward at the goalie whip shot" felt glitchy as well.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I liked that too. It made the default difficulty feel a lot harder. [/QUOTE]

First thing I thought when playing was "hmmm maybe the gm connected league shouldnt be the hardest difficulty". Haha.

[quote name='DestroVega']First thing I thought when playing was "hmmm maybe the gm connected league shouldnt be the hardest difficulty". Haha.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that will definitely be taken under advisement, lol. It's damn near impossible to predict what you're going to get with an EA game. Really, with patches and tuner sets, it's tough to judge how closely the full game will even resemble the demo.

One thing I hope they tune is the goalies coming out of the net to play the puck. Playing the NHL Moments mode, I saw Smith come out of the net to play a puck near the top of the faceoff circle in his zone. The problem was I was right near that area and got him to flip it over the boards for a delay of game penalty. It was a puck he never should have come out to play, because my guy had a full head of steam heading into the zone and was ahead of the defenders. So hopefully that gets tuned a little.

I like that honestly cause that happens a lot. I liked how my goalie in Hut, played the puck on a Power play and threw it up the ice to me. I had a awesome Hut team too with Stamkos, St. Louis, Nugent-Hopkins, Nash, and Thomas to name a few! Had a couple more nhl guys I forget.

Is anybody else having a hard time with faceoffs? I don't know if it's the timing or what, but I feel like I just get tied up like every freaking time. I'm not sure if I've won one outright yet, lol.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Is anybody else having a hard time with faceoffs? I don't know if it's the timing or what, but I feel like I just get tied up like every freaking time. I'm not sure if I've won one outright yet, lol.[/QUOTE]

It's been a mixed bag for me. But I've lost more than I've won I think.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Is anybody else having a hard time with faceoffs? I don't know if it's the timing or what, but I feel like I just get tied up like every freaking time. I'm not sure if I've won one outright yet, lol.[/QUOTE]

I think they fixed it! Don't get ready so early, other wise the computer reads it. Just like in IRL, I don't put my stick on the ice or get into position until I know the ref is dropping the puck.

I think I partly figured it out. The only way I was really able to start winning some back to my d-men was by actually selecting and holding my grip before the drop. I know they added that for NHL 12, but a lot of times, it didn't make any difference, as you could just tap down on the right stick (or sometimes double tap) and win them most of the time. It'll be pretty interesting if your grip actually matters this year.

Shows in the manual that it does. I love the new shot blocking. Instead of just dropping they either stand straight up with their shins together or kneel down protecting their face. Apparently, two different punches added to the right stick as well from the manual.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Shows in the manual that it does. I love the new shot blocking. Instead of just dropping they either stand straight up with their shins together or kneel down protecting their face. .[/QUOTE]

Thats been in previous games. Low shot blocking rating gave the standing block, higher rating was the diving one.

Random thoughts after about 7 "games":

In Hut, my A.I RW for some reason got into a fight right off the opening draw with their center.
Seems like health regenerates in fight much quicker if you aren't getting punched (I only got in one fight, so I might have imagined it)

No more live goalies
As a result, seems like there are weird acceleration issues when you go in and out of the bubble.

Dump and chase is way more effective

Stamkos is a fast mofo

No more "push puck"

Goalie still has trouble finding a puck trapped under him but not frozen

I can't get the stick sweep on D going. My guy will jab once, and that's it.

Break in play cut scenes look like Madden

Players getting stick lifted still recover very quick and can still get the puck back before the Dmen can take it away
Got a cool animation on a stick lift, the stick of the guy I was stick lifting actually flew out of his hands, rather than just drop to the ice.

Hip Checks are fixed as far as realism goes.

No stagger from blocking shots.

Point to point slapshot one timers are harder to do (I always end up with a weak snap shot)- don't really think I even did one successfully.

Board play is weird to initiate sometimes- sometimes when I think im in range, nothing happens, other times it drags me into the player if I think I'm too far away.

Haven't seen a goalie play the puck yet on PPs, etc.

I would be in for the St. Louis Blues if no one else wants to. Only thing is my work schedule sucks and this will be the first hockey game I have ever played. Hell I just started watching hockey again last October/November. So if no one else signs up to play them my gamer tag is shazo I'm in central time and my schedule sucks. I work a 2-2-3 so I'm off every other Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

In 12 it was luck of the draw when shot blocking, this one right before they shoot it will choose the animation, if you're watching him skate around he'll just drop(like we do after winning a game, not the diving one). Seems like the AI part reads it as, point man getting into position to shoot instead of 12 where it was just random. Have to hold the poke check button. If you think Stamkos is fast, try St. Louis. Even faster than Stamkos. I'm amazed by the goalies. I have been robbed more times than I can count. One thing I noticed is that the AI LOVES to board play with every chance they get

Yeah, it's weird that they took the live goalies out. I guess they really just don't want to call penalties properly since the idiots online would complain that they spend "half the game in the box". I asked Gary this last night, but has anybody gotten called for boarding yet? I've been intentionally TRYING to get thrown out of a game by just destroying people into the glass, but not only have they not called a misconduct, I haven't gotten called for a penalty on a hit like that at all. No roughing, boarding, checking from behind...nothing.

I do like that pushing the puck ahead is gone. To me, it was just too loose. You'd throw it up, and then half the time, the d-man would beat you to the loose puck anyway (especially if it was AI). I like that it just does it automatically now, and in a much more controlled movement.

I also noticed that passing feels different. Brandon mentioned it to me the other night, but it almost seems like the game is trying to account for who it thinks you're trying to pass to (why they don't just add icon passing, I'll never know), like instead of an AI player getting in the way and taking a pass not meant for him, they'll let it go by if there's someone beyond them that it "could" go to.

[quote name='sendme']I would be in for the St. Louis Blues if no one else wants to. Only thing is my work schedule sucks and this will be the first hockey game I have ever played. Hell I just started watching hockey again last October/November. So if no one else signs up to play them my gamer tag is shazo I'm in central time and my schedule sucks. I work a 2-2-3 so I'm off every other Saturday, Sunday and Monday.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome to join, but yeah...if you're saying you can really only play every other weekend, that's probably not going to work (unless you're ok with the CPU playing for you). They are supposed to have the option where you can set up your preferences for how you want the AI to play for you in your absence. But that's up to you. Also, people do need to be available to communicate, so if you're difficult to get in touch with, that's something to consider as well.

Wow....ok, yeah, this game is still definitely capable of some stupid stuff. I've been doing the Play Now game and locking myself in at center (playing as NJ so I could have a right handed center) just to really see how the AI plays in a BAP/EASHL style setting. This last game I played really could have been straight out of NHL 12. I'm skating up the ice about 15 feet ahead of the AI, wide open, and they ignore me, letting me skate offside before they dump the puck in.

They really just seemed reluctant to pass overall. There was a time when they were getting board played in the offensive zone near the faceoff circle, so I went up the boards into the corner so they could kick it to me. I didn't call for it because I wanted to see what they would do. Instead, they kick it toward the slot where it's recovered by a defensive player.

Then, they take a stupid penalty. So, now shorthanded and down 2-1, I got a chance to race one of the Kings players to the puck after a clear. He beat me to it, but I was able to board play and poke at it. Somehow, the puck squirts out, and is coming across right in front of Quick. For whatever reason, he slides off the post, allowing one of my AI players to swoop in, grab the puck, and just tap it into an open net. A minute later, during the same penalty kill, the same scenario comes up. This time, the puck squirts out directly at Quick (though, to me it looked like the Kings d-man kicked it out from the corner). This time, he stays on the post, but it goes between his feet, hits off his skate and goes in (I got credit for the goal).

I also lit a dude up against the glass, knocking his helmet off...still no penalty. Makes me wonder how much of this stuff they'll tweak and what changes that will make to the things we actually like.

EDIT - Also, just to prove that I'm a complete EA shill, I went ahead and bought my Season Ticket today. I do hope that HUT is more like MUT this year. From this livestream the other day, it definitely looked a little more like Madden's. And they did specifically mention that players won't have "career" lengths anymore. So, once you get them, you can put as long of contracts as you want on them.

[quote name='DestroVega']I've only played the demo for about 10 mins so far but I missed the push the puck ahead thing.[/QUOTE]

You can still do it. You just have to use the hustle button. It's not as big of a push, but it has the same effect.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']You can still do it. You just have to use the hustle button. It's not as big of a push, but it has the same effect.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have been doing that, like I said, i have to put in a lot more time.

[quote name='n8rockerasu'] I asked Gary this last night, but has anybody gotten called for boarding yet? [/QUOTE]

I got called for boarding once yesterday during a HUT game.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']You're welcome to join, but yeah...if you're saying you can really only play every other weekend, that's probably not going to work (unless you're ok with the CPU playing for you). They are supposed to have the option where you can set up your preferences for how you want the AI to play for you in your absence. But that's up to you. Also, people do need to be available to communicate, so if you're difficult to get in touch with, that's something to consider as well.[/QUOTE]

If no one else wants the spot I good with the CPU taking over. I will have time during the week also but that will be every other week. I think the game comes out September 11th, and as of right now I'm off that day and the 12th. I have to work the 13th and 14th but I will be off that first weekend the game is out. Won't have much time tonight to play the demo but tomorrow around 3:30 I will be on playing it and some Friday as well.

I would like to give owning St. Louis a shot if that's ok. I will be getting the game on launch day and my schedule is very flexible. My GT is "ajh2298" and as of right now none of my gaming stuff is hooked up since I just moved. I should be up and running by next Monday or Tuesday.

EDIT: I am in the Eastern Time Zone.

All right, well I guess that settles that, lol. Sorry, sendme. I would have been fine with marking you down with the team, but you just seemed a bit apprehensive. I appreciate your honesty though about your availability. If after we get started, you think you could definitely keep up with things, and would like to take a team (I really doubt we'll fill up), just let us know.

I'll go ahead and add ajh2298 to the OP now though.

Of course my division is the first one to be almost full...dammit, lol. Although, with how I've been playing against the CPU, maybe that's a good thing, haha. Damn you, Cataractes!!!

EDIT - It terrifies me to say this considering the alternative...but I almost think the goalies are TOO good on cross crease passes. I just lost another opening round of the HUT tournament game in OT, outshooting them 13-3. I had some nice 2 on 1's where I actually got the pass across clean, and their goalie (who was some European scrub) made some ridiculous desperation saves diving across the net. This is what I worried about a little bit. There was never anything inherently "glitchy" about cross creases other than the passes getting through to begin with when the defensive players were in position. But on an odd man rush, if done properly, it SHOULD be a goal. I didn't really think goalie reaction time on cross creases was ever that bad. Most of the time, the defense in front of them was to blame.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']All right, well I guess that settles that, lol. Sorry, sendme. I would have been fine with marking you down with the team, but you just seemed a bit apprehensive. I appreciate your honesty though about your availability. If after we get started, you think you could definitely keep up with things, and would like to take a team (I really doubt we'll fill up), just let us know.

I'll go ahead and add ajh2298 to the OP now though.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry I was in such a hurry to grab a team I didnt see sendme requested St. Louis ahead of me. I would also be fine with the Canucks if you want to move me.

p.s.
With my move and all i havent been keeping up witht the new version of the game like I used to is there one place better to pre-order than another any sub $59.99 launch day out the door prices?

[quote name='ajh2298']I am sorry I was in such a hurry to grab a team I didnt see sendme requested St. Louis ahead of me. I would also be fine with the Canucks if you want to move me.

p.s.
With my move and all i havent been keeping up witht the new version of the game like I used to is there one place better to pre-order than another any sub $59.99 launch day out the door prices?[/QUOTE]

Well, that's up to you guys. The first thing sendme said was he would take St. Louis "if no one else wanted them"...and then he talked about his availability being a little tough. Now, in the interest of the league, obviously, I'd like us to have as many people/teams as possible, but I don't know how much time everybody has either. He did say he'd be ok with the CPU filling in for him when he's unavailable though...so, up to you. If you wouldn't mind taking Vancouver so he could play some of the time, that's for you guys to figure out.

As for pre-orders, Amazon has a $15 credit (and the exclusive Bauer boost pack...yippee...) on both the regular version and collector's edition. Gamestop has a pre-order bonus of 16 Gold HUT packs (which is a decent value if you play a lot of HUT). Those are probably the best bonuses.

http://www.amazon.com/NHL-13-Xbox-360/dp/B007FTE33O

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/nhl-13/99329

AJH, pre-ordering at Amazon nets you $15 toward a future purchase.

Nate, I agree that the goalies can be a little too good sometimes. I usually manage to beat those pesky Cataractes, but I always end up losing in the 2nd round.

[quote name='ajh2298']I will take the Canucks if you dont mind.[/QUOTE]

Ok, sounds good. I'll go ahead and pencil sendme in as St. Louis too...so we won't have to worry about this issue again. I can tell he wants to play, and since he's ok with letting the CPU handle some games, it shouldn't be a problem.

Glad to have both of you on board!

Thanks for letting me in. If the games don't take long then I can be on by 7:30p.m. CST on the weekends I do work, but if they are later I wont be able to. Hell as bad as I was just playing the demo I might be right about getting more wins with me being the CPU.

I have been through HUT multiple times playing as goalie and tne team you play goalie for, the AI just dominates. I did see that When I had St. Louis and Stamkos on a 2 on 0 and I cross creased, Stamkos got the goal 8 out of 10 times. Also, every time you win you get consumables.

[quote name='sendme']Thanks for letting me in. If the games don't take long then I can be on by 7:30p.m. CST on the weekends I do work, but if they are later I wont be able to. Hell as bad as I was just playing the demo I might be right about getting more wins with me being the CPU.[/QUOTE]

Haha, it's no problem, man. Really, the games shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes. Once the game is out, you should get a better feel for things. And as long as you can keep in touch with opponents through this thread and PMs, you should be fine. Like I said, the more people we have in this league, the more fun it will be.

[quote name='ajh2298']I am sorry I was in such a hurry to grab a team I didnt see sendme requested St. Louis ahead of me. I would also be fine with the Canucks if you want to move me.

p.s.
With my move and all i havent been keeping up witht the new version of the game like I used to is there one place better to pre-order than another any sub $59.99 launch day out the door prices?[/QUOTE]

In addition to the Amazon and Gamestop bonuses, TRU (where I'm preordering from) has it for $45 right now.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13164768

Also, finally played the demo tonight. Did the NHL Live Moments bit and overall gameplay felt a little crisper than 12. Still some questionable AI and puck handling, but I think it'll be okay.

However, I was really hoping something would be done about faceoffs...I dont know what it is about the current mechanic but I rarely ever win them!

[quote name='GamerDude316']In addition to the Amazon and Gamestop bonuses, TRU (where I'm preordering from) has it for $45 right now.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13164768

Also, finally played the demo tonight. Did the NHL Live Moments bit and overall gameplay felt a little crisper than 12. Still some questionable AI and puck handling, but I think it'll be okay.

However, I was really hoping something would be done about faceoffs...I dont know what it is about the current mechanic but I rarely ever win them![/QUOTE]

Is there anything that yoy can do about getting it on launch day from TRU other than paying for overnight shipping?(i.e. in-store pick-up)

bread's done
Back