[Canada] Few Crazy EB Price Drops

Arcturian

CAGiversary!
As of yesterday (April 19) in Fredericton, NB the two EBs here reduced the following NEW games to the following RIDICULOUSLY LOW prices. please note I have listed the game's titles, system, price, and a symbol which indicates with which emotion you should respond to said prices.

Stranglehold CE:360 - $15.00 (!)
Spiderman: Friend or Foe - $10.00 (forget which system) (?...)
Chibi Robo: Park Patrol:DS - $10.00 (!!)
uhhh other actually good games which I am forgetting right now.

I bought El Strangleholdo for this price, mmhmm.

ROCK AND ROLL

Saw Stuntman Ignition and Fantastic Four at EB in Markville Mall. Decided to hold onto my money. It should still be there if anyone is interested. They stopped selling used blu-rays or something! I remember seeing a big stack of them a few months ago but now they're all gone. Workers there said they don't sell them anymore. If anyone can pick up a used copy of Spider-Man 3 for me, would be much appreciated. Picked up FES today, and unsurprisingly, have been too busy to even read the backcover. Oh yeah, how exactly does Halo 3 Collector's Edition work? I saw the Normal one and the Legendary Edition in the black cube cardboard box, but didn't see any Limited/Collector's Edition.

[quote name='gamer602']Yay! Ranzo's finally here!

So..... i ve heard theres a trade 1 wii game get 1 wii game for $10 promo....do you have any details????[/quote]

They have flyers up for it, I asked about it yesterday.

Trade select games, get Mario Kart Wii for $10. It started yesterday, and goes until May 25th.

There were six titles that qualify. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl were the only DS ones. I believe the Wii ones were Super Mario Galaxy, Mario & Sonic, Smash Bros Brawl, and something else.

[quote name='Bandit64']They have flyers up for it, I asked about it yesterday.

Trade select games, get Mario Kart Wii for $10. It started yesterday, and goes until May 25th.

There were six titles that qualify. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl were the only DS ones. I believe the Wii ones were Super Mario Galaxy, Mario & Sonic, Smash Bros Brawl, and something else.[/quote]

This would be pretty hot. Pokemon D/P can be found for $15ish used in Toronto, and likewise with Mario & Sonic. I'd love to know what other games work, but seeing as the TTC decided to have a little fit this weekend, I can't go out and check.

Went to 2 EB's here in Ottawa and none of these deals were on. Very frustrating. I did pick up Prey for $5 used though.

[quote name='gamer602']did u actually ask them to san the game?[/quote]

Both times I asked them to scan and they did.

[quote name='ashgotti']Both times I asked them to scan and they did.[/quote]

Stranglehold has gone back up to regular price; Halo 3 Collectors Edition (double thick tin box) is on sale only, not regular or Legendary (Legendary comes with helmet).
Actually, at EB Trainyards beside the Walmart and Train Station in Ottawa, they had a Legendary version Halo 3 game (that's disc, manual and DVD case with brown logo only, no helmet) used for $4.99 yesterday.

[quote name='ashgotti']^ Halo 3 was still $5x.xx and Stranglehold was $3x.xx. I tried the one in Barrhaven and in Rideau Mall.[/quote]

I'm almost certain I saw Halo 3 CE there for $10 yesterday, and Stranglehold I picked up at the sale price last weekend from there, but it went back to it's regular price on Tuesday or Wednesday.

^ I only saw one copy of Halo 3 used, without the case and had him scan it and it came out regular price. I went yesterday too. This is frustrating. Do I get it from the used wall or the normal wall? Can I just ask if they have Halo 3 CE?

championship poker and bad boys for xbox are 1 cent :) i got the poker cause it comes with a dvd so may as well watch it, try and play it on my 360, if it fails than i'll just trade it in to BBV

[quote name='JnJosh']championship poker and bad boys for xbox are 1 cent :) i got the poker cause it comes with a dvd so may as well watch it, try and play it on my 360, if it fails than i'll just trade it in to BBV[/quote]

:whistle2:s Is that a TIV? I've never seen a store sell something for 1 cent... other than penny candies!

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']:whistle2:s Is that a TIV? I've never seen a store sell something for 1 cent... other than penny candies![/quote]
you have a lot to learn.
I've bought skins to games to guide books for 1 cent

FIRESTORM,
add these games:
crush $10
buzz party $10

I called in on friday at eb games and they told me the following games were added to the ps3 deal list:
fantastic 4 ($10)
nhl 2k7 ($10)
mlb 2k7 ($10)
Genji ($10)

i ended up picking up nhl 2k7 as i needed a cheap hockey game and this scored a pretty good score on ign

[quote name='marsteam']Stranglehold has gone back up to regular price; Halo 3 Collectors Edition (double thick tin box) is on sale only, not regular or Legendary (Legendary comes with helmet).
Actually, at EB Trainyards beside the Walmart and Train Station in Ottawa, they had a Legendary version Halo 3 game (that's disc, manual and DVD case with brown logo only, no helmet) used for $4.99 yesterday.[/quote]

I went to that location today but no Halo 3 was there :(

[quote name='trixR4kids']I called in on friday at eb games and they told me the following games were added to the ps3 deal list:
fantastic 4 ($10)
nhl 2k7 ($10)
mlb 2k7 ($10)
Genji ($10)

i ended up picking up nhl 2k7 as i needed a cheap hockey game and this scored a pretty good score on ign[/quote]

which EB's? all of the EB's I went to listed Genji as 54.99. I chked at Scarborough Town and Morningside

oh its trixR4kids. I use another id here, but on RFD I am 'thechampion116'.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaptainCharismaCCC']which EB's? all of the EB's I went to listed Genji as 54.99. I chked at Scarborough Town and Morningside

oh its trixR4kids. I use another id here, but on RFD I am 'thechampion116'.[/quote]

for gengi it was the michaelango's one

[quote name='trixR4kids']Michael-angelo's Marketplace
8555 Woodbine Ave, Unit B-1
Markham ON, L3R4X9 CA
(905) 305-1774
[/quote]

oh i think I've been there before when EB had the original $10 sale for PS2 and PSP games.

I'll drop by there if they do have Genji 2 for $10. I like those types of games.

For the CAG members, on the 'other' site, someone mentioned that more prices will drop like this, but probably not as frequent as this week was. It was due to a few EB's going under in the US and there stock being sent to Canada.

[quote name='CaptainCharismaCCC']For the CAG members, on the 'other' site, someone mentioned that more prices will drop like this, but probably not as frequent as this week was. It was due to a few EB's going under in the US and there stock being sent to Canada.[/QUOTE]
Can anyone confirm this?

It doesn't make much sense to me. Why go through the hassle and cost of importing a bunch of games only to cut prices and sell them way below cost?

Also all 8 games I bought are the Canadian releases so I'm not sure if I believe this claim at all.

I don't think this has anything to do with US stock as it would just cost a lot to move all of the crap up here to sell at 5-10$.

Sounds like nonsense to me. I think these games just aren't selling well in general, so prices were lowered to clear out some stock and bring people into the stores, and hey, it worked.

[quote name='CaptainCharismaCCC']oh
For the CAG members, on the 'other' site, someone mentioned that more prices will drop like this, but probably not as frequent as this week was. It was due to a few EB's going under in the US and there stock being sent to Canada.[/QUOTE]

No. This has happened every spring for the last three years it was called Game Deal of the Day. It's to sell overstock. I personally would call it Cheap Customer Appreciation Sale :lol:

I picked up Stranglehold for the PC for $20 on Sunday.

They still had a few games on sale and according to the store manager this discount cycling on inventory is supposed to keep going for a few more weeks.

Is the "Halo 3:CE" known as the Limited Edition or Collector's Edition in Canada? I called around to all of the EBs in the area (About 4 or so) and none of them had any Collector's available, I didn't think to ask for Limited Edition at the time so I may try that later on.

Ok, having run an EB games for 6+ years, I can explain what's going on here. Basically, these titles are overstock. Games that will take over a year to sell through at their current inventory. For example: EB games canada has 1200 copies of "Sonic" in stock for the whole chain. Sonic is selling, on average, at a rate of 2 copies per day for the chain. And let's say there's 300 stores in the chain. So at that rate, it will take EB Games 600 days to sell through Sonic. So what happens now, is that they drop the price dramatically in hopes to clear off stock, making room for newer/better moving inventory (there's a budget on this, like anything else). So what this means is, they need to sell enough copies of sonic so that they only have 730 copies of sonic in stock (2 a day, you still following?) So once EB games sells through 470 copies (just more than 1 per store, in reality) the price returns to regular retail as they no longer need to push that particular product. And usually, that doesn't take more than a day or two.

Kind of a long explanation, but that's the jist of it!

[quote name='SamuraiSmurfette']Ok, having run an EB games for 6+ years, I can explain what's going on here. Basically, these titles are overstock. Games that will take over a year to sell through at their current inventory. For example: EB games canada has 1200 copies of "Sonic" in stock for the whole chain. Sonic is selling, on average, at a rate of 2 copies per day for the chain. And let's say there's 300 stores in the chain. So at that rate, it will take EB Games 600 days to sell through Sonic. So what happens now, is that they drop the price dramatically in hopes to clear off stock, making room for newer/better moving inventory (there's a budget on this, like anything else). So what this means is, they need to sell enough copies of sonic so that they only have 730 copies of sonic in stock (2 a day, you still following?) So once EB games sells through 470 copies (just more than 1 per store, in reality) the price returns to regular retail as they no longer need to push that particular product. And usually, that doesn't take more than a day or two.

Kind of a long explanation, but that's the jist of it![/quote]

hey! can you tell us which eb store you ran?

[quote name='SamuraiSmurfette']Ok, having run an EB games for 6+ years, I can explain what's going on here. Basically, these titles are overstock. Games that will take over a year to sell through at their current inventory. For example: EB games canada has 1200 copies of "Sonic" in stock for the whole chain. Sonic is selling, on average, at a rate of 2 copies per day for the chain. And let's say there's 300 stores in the chain. So at that rate, it will take EB Games 600 days to sell through Sonic. So what happens now, is that they drop the price dramatically in hopes to clear off stock, making room for newer/better moving inventory (there's a budget on this, like anything else). So what this means is, they need to sell enough copies of sonic so that they only have 730 copies of sonic in stock (2 a day, you still following?) So once EB games sells through 470 copies (just more than 1 per store, in reality) the price returns to regular retail as they no longer need to push that particular product. And usually, that doesn't take more than a day or two.

Kind of a long explanation, but that's the jist of it![/QUOTE]

sweet inside info.

now can you explain why 99.999999% of your clerks are TOTAL JERKS?

particularly the ones in Montreal.

thanks.

[quote name='jeffx']sweet inside info.

thanks.[/quote]

I know many nice EB staffs here in Ottawa. You are too sarcastic about 99.999999. Oh well we have one that fits in 0.00000001% in CAG now!

thanks.[/quote]
At which one were you?

thanks.[/quote]

Heh, they're not *my* clerks...I really can't speak for them (I worked in Ontario). But honestly, I've been to ALOT of different EB's, and there really is alot of folks who don't take their job seriously, and it saddens me. One of the reasons I left. I got sick of standing up for all of the company's idiots. Problem is, too many people get hired not knowing what they're getting into. "I like games" on your resume doesn't prepare you for the stress, customer complaints, erratic hours, etc... but I digress

[quote name='SamuraiSmurfette']Heh, they're not *my* clerks...I really can't speak for them (I worked in Ontario). But honestly, I've been to ALOT of different EB's, and there really is alot of folks who don't take their job seriously, and it saddens me. One of the reasons I left. I got sick of standing up for all of the company's idiots. Problem is, too many people get hired not knowing what they're getting into. "I like games" on your resume doesn't prepare you for the stress, customer complaints, erratic hours, etc... but I digress[/quote]

Question: Can EB games track your trades/returns/preorders???

trades only.

Since to Trade in you need to give your health card number.

returns not at all. But you do have to sign when you return something.

Preorders somewhat they file it with your phone no on their comp. But if you preordered at 2 different stores it wouldn't matter. I don't think you can preorder the same game twice at one store.

As long as you don't make yourself known as "That guy who always returns stuff" you'll probably be fine. Just don't abuse the system, and there'll be no reason for you to need to be tracked. That being said, they do try to stop people who are outright scamming. I've heard things from conference calls in the past. "John Doe has been doing these types of things in stores in this area...he has been told not to shop with us anymore" That sort of thing.

Getting back on topic: grabbed Crush for PSP for $9.89 today :)

/wave @ Fanboy

50 first dates, xxx, underworld and rocky all on blu ray are 4.98.
also tokobot super somthing... for the ps2 and wwe 08 I think.

[quote name='Ranzo']50 first dates, xxx, underworld and rocky all on blu ray are 4.98.
also tokobot super somthing... for the ps2 and wwe 08 I think.[/quote]

are these brand new or preowned?

That's pretty much how all retail markdowns work (a large part of my job is doing stuff almost exactly like this). Interesting that the stock only lasts a day or so though- I'll have to act faster in the future!

Very interesting; thanks for the inside scoop! But I'm wondering, since these are "New" games being marked down, what happens to the profits passed on to the publisher?

How does the publisher make money from game sales, anyways? Does it get a percentage of every item sold, or does it get a lump sum every time EB orders a batch of items from them?

Games are not consignment. They are purchased up front at a pre-determined cost from the publisher. If it's a publisher-initiated markdown (ie, a game goes to greatest hits) EB gets price protection from the vendor. If its a EB-initiated inventory clear-out, then they're losing that money. Which explains again why the markdowns don't last more than a day or two ;)

This is why EB (and other stores) push pre-orders so much...so they can judge how many they'll need to buy. It's a tough job those buyers have sometimes.

[quote name='SamuraiSmurfette']Games are not consignment. They are purchased up front at a pre-determined cost from the publisher. If it's a publisher-initiated markdown (ie, a game goes to greatest hits) EB gets price protection from the vendor. If its a EB-initiated inventory clear-out, then they're losing that money. Which explains again why the markdowns don't last more than a day or two ;)

This is why EB (and other stores) push pre-orders so much...so they can judge how many they'll need to buy. It's a tough job those buyers have sometimes.[/quote]

Damn. I guess all the bargain hunting we do here at CAG really doesn't help support the gaming industry, does it?

bread's done
Back