Cheapassstudents.com?

Thought I'd share what I posted over at VGTalk.

Hello All, (I believe this is my first post.)

Well said. Your post certainly clarifies the issue but I have to disagree with your point about a copyright. CheapyD may not own the rights to "Cheap Ass" but lets be realistic here. It was his site that established that brand. I find it extremely unethical of the people who have contracted your technical services to be using the "Cheap Ass" brand in such a manner. Make no mistake, I understand what your involvement is and I am not blaming you. I just feel it's necessary to point out the difference between legally acceptable and morally unethical. I for one hope this doesn't get ugly. Only time will tell.

cheapy D, if you don't mind my asking...what's the history between you and the vgtalk guy? i'm fairly new here...only been chilling for about 6 months, so i don't really know much behind the history.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='blademan88'][quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='blademan88']As for the people thinking I'm doing something wrong, think whatever you want, I honestly could care less. Perhaps I should take the more common CAG approach I seem to be finding.[/quote]

Glad I have your permission. Why don't you take the approach of leaving? You're clearly not wanted here, and your pathetic attempt to act as a liason to the VGT end of things only makes you look like one of the douchebags.

[quote name='blademan88']By the way, I think it says a little bit something about your staff when you can't even find out who deleted my post.[/quote]

Nevermind. You won't be here long enough to leave voluntarily.[/quote]

that is a little bit overboard blademan....have a nice vacation[/quote]
Yep, way out of line after all the trash talk was spit at me.[/quote]

You came over here voluntarily. Nobody forced you to post. You put yourself in that position, and now you're bearing the brunt of the reaction. Enjoy.[/quote]

This should be cheapy's fight not yours...being like that makes you the dumbass. I'm not calling you out...just a fellow CAG'er asking you to tighten up.

Oh and not to be an ass...but lets face it...Cheapy unfortunatly does not have a case. Not in this day in age...Give it 3-4 more years and maybe.

Lets all just try to be civil and let the better man win. Competition brings out the best in us....

Oh, and ethical should not be an issue here...you cant talk about ethical and then turn around and talk to the new employee of a place that doesnt price match and try to get him to price match CC when you know he cant.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Oh, and ethical should not be an issue here...you cant talk about ethical and then turn around and talk to the new employee of a place that doesnt price match and try to get him to price match CC when you know he cant.[/quote]

What does that have to do with someone ripping off CheapyD's brand idea? I realize this is the off topic forum but you really missed the mark there.

Wow, after reading VGTalk's response I realize we were right all along and he is pretty much just a giant shit bag. Hopefully the cheapassnetwork tanks, as I'm sure no one from this site will be visiting them anytime soon.

[quote name='daphatty'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Oh, and ethical should not be an issue here...you cant talk about ethical and then turn around and talk to the new employee of a place that doesnt price match and try to get him to price match CC when you know he cant.[/quote]

What does that have to do with someone ripping off CheapyD's brand idea? I realize this is the off topic forum but you really missed the mark there.[/quote]

It relates on how everyone is complaing how "un-ethical" it is. It may be un-ethical, but this site is filled with too many un-ethical people riding their high horse. I'm not try to just be a dick everyone....I'm just telling it straight up.

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='blademan88'][quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='blademan88']As for the people thinking I'm doing something wrong, think whatever you want, I honestly could care less. Perhaps I should take the more common CAG approach I seem to be finding.[/quote]

Glad I have your permission. Why don't you take the approach of leaving? You're clearly not wanted here, and your pathetic attempt to act as a liason to the VGT end of things only makes you look like one of the douchebags.

[quote name='blademan88']By the way, I think it says a little bit something about your staff when you can't even find out who deleted my post.[/quote]

Nevermind. You won't be here long enough to leave voluntarily.[/quote]

that is a little bit overboard blademan....have a nice vacation[/quote]
Yep, way out of line after all the trash talk was spit at me.[/quote]

You came over here voluntarily. Nobody forced you to post. You put yourself in that position, and now you're bearing the brunt of the reaction. Enjoy.[/quote]

This should be cheapy's fight not yours...being like that makes you the dumbass. I'm not calling you out...just a fellow CAG'er asking you to tighten up.[/quote]

You call me a dumbass and then ask me to lighten up? :rofl: fucking douchebag.

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='daphatty'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Oh, and ethical should not be an issue here...you cant talk about ethical and then turn around and talk to the new employee of a place that doesnt price match and try to get him to price match CC when you know he cant.[/quote]

What does that have to do with someone ripping off CheapyD's brand idea? I realize this is the off topic forum but you really missed the mark there.[/quote]

It relates on how everyone is complaing how "un-ethical" it is. It may be un-ethical, but this site is filled with too many un-ethical people riding their high horse. I'm not try to just be a dick everyone....I'm just telling it straight up.[/quote]

Glad you were straight up with us....but I got news for you. You come off as a dick anyways. This site was started as a business...and I am sure if this was YOUR site would have a problem with someone infringing on your intellectual property as well. Also note that CheapyD is NOT commenting or even complaining. He didn't even start this thread.

I will not comment any further about the matter.

I thought everyone would like to know about this. Copied over from VGTalk.

FYI, I got the green light yesterday, and the video game deals satellite site is no more.

As for the student site, what got me interested in helping to create it was based on the history of VGtalk when it first started out. During the first attempt of the site back in 2001, it was a video game deals / student deals site (check out the archive here: http://web.archive.org/web/20010629183420/http://www.vgtalk.com )

The site eventually fizzled out and was rekindled again last year, now focused only on video game deals. When I was presented earlier this year with the idea of another student deals site, I jumped on it as the technical consultant. I never wanted to head the site because I mainly wanted to keep my focus on expanding VGtalk.

In retrospect, I do understand many of your views on this situation. Associating myself with the CheapAssDeals network given my current situation as being a competitor with CAG may not have been the wisest decision I have made. However, the issue of greed has been brought up and I'd like to address this. VGtalk.com as well as other deals sites on the web are able to stay online due to receiving affiliate referral commissions from links posted on their respective sites. VGtalk.com is owned and operated solely by myself, and believe me, this is no get-rich-quick scheme -- the commissions I receive gets put back into this site to keep it up. Like many of you, I have a daytime job and whatever spare time I have I put into this site. So as for the CheapAssDeals network, as of now, I do not receive any commissions for my work on the site. Ask anyone close to me and they'll tell you it's been a personal hobby of mine to help people save a little bit of money here and there wherever they can. My point here is that greed is not the driving force behind my actions.

To close this, I just wanted to say that I'm glad to have been apart of this growing community here at VGtalk.com over the past year. You all have been a great group of people to be associated with, and I look forward to the many more years to come. While my actions due to my associations may be interpreted differently by many different people, for those of you that view me as the anti-christ, I just wanted to point out the fact that my actions do not reflect the tight-knit community here at VGtalk.com.

Regards,
Nam

bread's done
Back