Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Rodimus']Wow, forgot about this thread, thanks for bumping. I'll share some of my comics book thoughts. SI better end with a bang and not a whimper. I have mixed feelings about the Secret Invasion, but overall I'm enjoying it. Whenever I get my stack it's always the first I read. Some of the tie-ins seem unnecessary, but I'm enjoying the T-Bolts, Thor, & Inhumans.

Spider-Man Brand New Day finally got good with the "New Ways to Die" arc. But I have a feeling it'll slip back into mediocrity afterward.

Anyone else reading Incredible Herc besides me? The Secret Invasion arc seemed forced and way too serious for Herc's silly nature. But this new arc with the amazons is a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

Incredible Herc is great. He really gets around. The Inhumans tie in is really not that great, I do like the Deadpool tie in, but it couldn't have really been that easy to screw up their entire line of super skrulls.

I want to know when Blackbolt was switched. The Inhuman's recent timeframe seems screwy and I want to see it make sense. But I have to agree Deadpool was a lot of fun too. Nova wasn't too bad either.

I've only picked up Inhumans and New Avengers for tie ins. I like them for the most part but I definately got to agree with you Rodimus on the whole when was Blackbolt switched along with the time line stuff. Also Incredible Herc is better now I want to say with this amazon arc for sure. Otherwise only other marvel title that has me interested in is Hulk. I wonder who red hulk is...any ideas?

[quote name='LXL_Guy'] I wonder who red hulk is...any ideas?[/quote]

Hulk is terrible...

Planet Hulk was good, Hulk was a interesting character at the end of it.

So what happened? They made him dumb again...:roll:

A-Bomb? Awful...

Depowering a character to make another look 'bad*ss' is a cheap stunt(see Thor v Red Hulk)

And at this point, since all of the people that'd have an actual impact if they were 'Rulk'(*snicker*) have been debunked, it's gonna be a dissapointment no matter what.

Red Hulk is really...... Galactus :shock: But seriously no clue. I agree with manthing: The Thor/Rulk fight was a cheap trick to make the Rulk look badass. But in the end Thor could take him out and he is ultimately less powerful than we thought. And even thought it was cheap the fight itself was pretty cool.

Fantastic Four is also really good.

I've been slogging through all the SI tie-ins since the whole event started and I've finally found my favorite:

DEADPOOL!

Specifically issue #2, I can't remember the last time a comic has made me laugh so hard!
Issue 3 was pretty good as well and I'm looking forward to future issues.

I'm LOVING Amazing Spider-Man too, but I'm confused as to when the SI stuff fits in...
Is this whole battle with Venom/Bullseye/Osborn taking place BEFORE SI or after?
*shrug*

Fantastic Four definately has been really good. I'm enjoying that one for sure. If anything I like the Ultimate universe just a tad bit more then the 616 one.

A year ago I would agree with you but 616 FF got more interesting. Ultimate FF was excellent for the first 30 issues (especially during Millar & Land's run.) The Ultimate Thanos arc was terrible. I love reading anything Thanos but those issues put me to sleep. I stopped reading shortly after that.

Yeah hopefully they will answer a lot of questions in the Inhumans. I just don't like the writing and how they are portraying Medusa.

X-men tie-in is horrible too. Hulk just seems childish right now.

Nova is really hardcore right now. I hope they keep him that way. It really shows what being in a war does to you.

I couldn't agree with you more on Nova. Until 2 years ago he was always a cheap Green Lantern knock off that had lowly cameo roles. He's now the leading man in Marvel's space saga. And now the term "Blue Blazes" is acceptable.

Recently I dislike all X-Men tie-ins for the Marvel 616. So I haven't touched the SI one.

Walking Dead is good though an Image comic so that was random to be thrown in. Has anyone read the Secret Invasion spidey comic tie-in?! Worth picking up or no?

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Walking Dead is good though an Image comic so that was random to be thrown in. Has anyone read the Secret Invasion spidey comic tie-in?! Worth picking up or no?[/quote]

Is this a DC/Marvel thread only? Yes posts focus on them, but it doesn't mean talk of other publishers is forbidden.

I read Walking Dead every month, but the past few months have been slooooow.

And I hope you LOVE Spidey's supporting cast, as that what his SI book is about

[quote name='manthing']And I hope you LOVE Spidey's supporting cast, as that what his SI book is about[/quote]

Seriously, it's a Spidey book without Spidey. It's a pass.

Anyone else reading "All Hail Megatron"? I get the feeling that I'm the only one on this board that reads the Transformers comics.

[quote name='Rodimus']Seriously, it's a Spidey book without Spidey. It's a pass.

Anyone else reading "All Hail Megatron"? I get the feeling that I'm the only one on this board that reads the Transformers comics.[/quote]

Possibly...

I've read the GI JOE/TF crossovers though...

I thought the TF/GI Joe crossover was horrible. But the covers were nice. And while I'm on the subject, stay away from the TF/Avengers crossover. Great idea, poorly delivered.

I wish people would talk more about non Marvel/DC capes n' tights stuff. I'd like to buy a good independant Graphic Novel every once and a while. Problen is I just don't know what's hot. I used to watch the Stack for all that stuff, but it seems like they've been on a hiatus since Comic-Con.

[quote name='Rodimus']I thought the TF/GI Joe crossover was horrible. But the covers were nice. And while I'm on the subject, stay away from the TF/Avengers crossover. Great idea, poorly delivered.[/quote]

Too late...

:oops:

[quote name='Rodimus']I thought the TF/GI Joe crossover was horrible. But the covers were nice. And while I'm on the subject, stay away from the TF/Avengers crossover. Great idea, poorly delivered.

I wish people would talk more about non Marvel/DC capes n' tights stuff. I'd like to buy a good independant Graphic Novel every once and a while. Problen is I just don't know what's hot. I used to watch the Stack for all that stuff, but it seems like they've been on a hiatus since Comic-Con.[/QUOTE]

TF/Avengers was poorly done. I couldn't even get pass the first issue.

The only reason I got all 4 issues was for the sake of me being a huge TF fan. But the main TF series "All Hail Megatron" is pretty good. They're focusing on the Decepticons more than the Autobots this time around.

I got the read the GJ "snake eyes declassified," it was good but it just seems that the storyline has been used before.

[quote name='manthing']"New Ways To Die" ending was kinda weak...[/quote]

That's sad to hear. It's been pretty good so far. I should get my copy in a few days.

Kinda comic book related, but anyone excited for Spider-Man: Web of Shadows? I'll be renting it next week.

[quote name='lokizz']so who ended up being a skrull?[/QUOTE]

Sarah Palin and John McCain. I heard Bendis and Millar were skrulls too.

[quote name='evilomar']Sarah Palin and John McCain.[/quote]

If their slogan was "Embrace Change" I'd believe it.

Mighty Avengers #19 was horrid. It took me like 2 minute to read the thing since there was no actual reading. I think Bendis is getting lazy with a few of his titles. Having the Avengers titles flesh out the Secret Invasion was nice at first, but now it getting boring. What's next? Howard the Duck is a Skrull and we gotta read about the how & when.

That's the main problem that I've had with Secret Invasion all along. It just seems that they are really dragging these stories for no reason. Hell, if you read New Avengers that just came out yesterday you can see that instead of furthering the Secret Invasion story, it just sets up next years crossover.

Of course I can't say much for Final Crisis either.

Marvel is really starting to piss me off. They solicited the Ultimate Cap annual with John Romita Jr. penciling. I pick it up and not a single page by him. Bait and switch, that's a great way to ingratiate yourself to customers. I also got Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes 1. It was solicited to be 48 pages for $3.99. It was; however, what they didn't tell you was that only 16 pages of that is actual story and art, 8 pages by Alan Davis and 8 pages by Adi Granov. The rest is text and sketch of a cover process. A real ripoff of a week. I won't even get started on late books. Crap like this is why I'm spending less and less money on comics.

^ John Romita Jr. is okay. But I've never bought a book simply for the fact he was the artist. He has a simple yet appealing way of drawing, but it's never been eye candy.

JRJR's style doesn't appeal to everybody, the proportions can seem weird to some people. Part of what I like about him is that he's professional, i.e. he turns his work in on time, unlike so many prima donnas in the business today. Same thing with Mark Bagley, he's really fast plus has an outstanding work ethic. Mark & I go to the same shop and I run into him occasionally. He actually told me he was going to be doing Trinity almost 2 months before DC announced it. Great guy. I just found out today that Brian Reed goes to the same shop too. In fact, I was line in behind him. He looks exactly like what you would think a comic writer would look like.:)

[quote name='neocisco']JRJR's style doesn't appeal to everybody, the proportions can seem weird to some people. Part of what I like about him is that he's professional, i.e. he turns his work in on time, unlike so many prima donnas in the business today. Same thing with Mark Bagley, he's really fast plus has an outstanding work ethic. Mark & I go to the same shop and I run into him occasionally. He actually told me he was going to be doing Trinity almost 2 months before DC announced it. Great guy. I just found out today that Brian Reed goes to the same shop too. In fact, I was line in behind him. He looks exactly like what you would think a comic writer would look like.:)[/QUOTE]

short and balding?

No, although that it was one of the archtypes.:) He had a bit of a belly and glasses. He was actually fairly tall too. OK, maybe I was a little off in my previous post.

Secret Invasion #7 was incredibly boring IMO.

Okay, EVERY Superhero is working together to save Earth. WE GET IT.
Did we really need 20+ pages of one giant fight scene??
*sigh*

I hope the ending (which we already know considering lots of tie-in books have already moved past SI stories), is decent.

I'm personally much more excited about Ultimatum, despite the fact that the Ultimate X-men/Ultimate Fantastic 4 Annual with the future team seems really random and pointless to me.

I'd like to meet Mark Bagley. I loved his long run on Ultimate Spider-Man. Still wish he was on board.

Secret Invasion has been what I expected it to be and a bit on the underwhelming side. Not enough twists and turns for a major event. It's the event that returns the Marvel Universe to the status quo.

Ultimate X-Men/FF was very random. I just finished Ultimate Orgins and while I enjoyed reading about all the little secrets I feel that the Ultimate Universe is losing it's appeal. I still think they fucked up the whole Galactus thing.

I'm getting pretty confused on the general Ultimate storyline.

1. Ultimate Power takes place between Ultimates 2 & 3, right? Then why do I see Fury popping up in the Captain America annual when he should still be in the "Squadron Supreme" universe?

2. What's up with Doom? How did he get out of the Zombie Universe? They never explained this but I have a feeling when they do it's gonna be some kooky lame reason.

3. The Ultimate Spider-Man time frame is weird. The events of the Ultimate Venom arc with the game aren't connecting. I don't get it.

Everything in the Ultimate universe seems like an afterthought. They'll write something cool now, but leave you hanging expecting it to be fully explained. Only it's just a jumble mess of garbage when they do. Besides Ultimate Spider-Man I think the universe has had it's run in the sun and should be laid to rest.

[quote name='Rodimus']
Everything in the Ultimate universe seems like an afterthought. They'll write something cool now, but leave you hanging expecting it to be fully explained. Only it's just a jumble mess of garbage when they do. Besides Ultimate Spider-Man I think the universe has had it's run in the sun and should be laid to rest.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be what Ultimatum is all about. :lol:

Seriously though, the first issue was pretty intense. I'm excited to see where the story goes.

I really enjoyed What If: Fallen Son, and also really liked the art in the new Wizard of Oz, havent read any of the Dark Reign stuff that came out last week, cant be as bad as SI was though.

the thread is brought back to life. I want to get the new what ifs, like fallen son and doctor doom possessed the infinity gauntlet

[quote name='lokizz']if a person is replaced by one does that mean they are dead.[/quote]

The skrulls kept the orginals alive. It's been speculated that they had to in case something went wrong they could copy their genetic code again. This was defintaly the case with the Hank Pym skrulls. The orginals were found and brought back to safety in the end.

[quote name='cdubb1605']I really enjoyed What If: Fallen Son, and also really liked the art in the new Wizard of Oz, havent read any of the Dark Reign stuff that came out last week, cant be as bad as SI was though.[/quote]

I see what they're going for in Dark Reign. It's kind like the
Evil Illuminati
I like the idea. The Skrulls were boring as enimies since you never really care about any of them, plus you kinda expect them to lose or die.

Dark Reign, Issue 1 came out a few days ago. I lean towards liking Maleev's art, though some of it is a bit too busy. I dig Norman, Emma, Doom, and Namor. So, putting a focus on them will keep me from forgetting about the comic.

Namor was drawn weird. He didn't look handsome as he's always portrayed to be. He looked smelly. But I kinda like.

Anyone else see a connection with the Wolverine: Old Man Logan story and the way things are turning out in the Marvel U? I always thought Old Man Logan to be an alternate future, but I'm not so sure now.

:lol:

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking Namor looked like! I just couldn't place it. He looked so retarded, and kinda like a drunk hobo.

I'm really excited to see where Dark Reign goes, and who ends up on each Avengers team. Though Bendis BETTER not fuck too much with Emma. He needs to keep her this conflicted member of the Illumi-naughty, cause I feel like there's been too much positive growth in her character over the years between Morrison's stuff, Joss' stuff and now Brubaker and Fraction's.

I haven't read the thread due to still not finishing SI so I don't know if this has been posted.

Marvel is raising the price on New Avengers and Thor from $2.99 to $3.99. Hulk was raised in last month's solicitation and Dark Avengers is priced at $3.99 from the start. They've been pricing limited series at this price point for a little while, which is the first step to a line-wide increase. You can expect to see almost all mainline titles at this price by the end of 2009. I decided awhile back that $3.99 is the amount when I stop buying comics. $4 for 20 minutes of entertainment is a horrible return on your money. This is why I'm not buying DA even though I'm pretty interested in the book. Marvel's greed is just ridiculous. They completely jumped over the $3.50 point. This is just a blatant "screw you" to the fans because they know they'll just keep buying comics. Sorry, Marvel, but my ride on the train is about to come to an end. They managed to chase me away from Amazing Spider-Man last year, a book I genuinely believed I would never stop reading. Now this is happening. Except for the occasional LS or TPB, I guess I'll be done with comics by 2010. As much as I love reading them, I won't allow myself to be screwed over.

bread's done
Back