Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

So I just finished reading the TPB for Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. It was ok, but nothing special. Not sure if I am going to jump into the current Batman arc or if I will catch up on some back log I currently have going.

Updated this weeks comics.

Been reading the Transformers comics both movie & non-movie. I enjoyed the Reign of Starscream movie prequel #1. The movie didn't really give us much on the Decepticons so this book sheds more light on their side of the battle. Which in my opinion is a far more interesting perspective. Plus it's got a cool cover that mimics an older 1980's TF cover:

transformers1b.jpg
015.jpg

As much as I hate Starscreams robot design in the movie I do like the way they developed his character in the comic. Hopefully that carries over into the next film.

I have not been keeping up with Transformers, a friend of mine has a crap load of the alternator figures, but I may look into it now. Come to think of it, I have not been keeping up with anything. I still have to try to get the last couple of SI tie in comics, and some other series I missed out on. Like Marvel 1985, Iron Man Legacy of Doom, Iron Man Viva Las Vegas, American Dream, Young Avengers Presents, and(I kick myself every time I remember that I forgot) Wolverine #66 Old Man Logan Part 1:cry::cry::cry:

Forgot about the Wolverine #66 "Old Man Logon" run with Millar and McNiven. Thanks for reminding me, just added it to my list. Should be good stuff.

Haven't been 100% hooked on Millar's Fantastic Four yet, but with that said it's definatly been better than the previous arcs. ANyone else been reading this? I don't like it when the FF temporarily replace members which they recently did with Storm and Black Panther. It can never feel like a real FF adventure.

Well Black Panther is pretty cool, but your right its not the same. I read a little bit of the FF, but stopped after #556. I like the FF and all, but it just wasn't me.

Its reported on G4.com that there might be a marvel ultimate alliance 2

'Marvel Ultimate Aliance 2' Revealed?

Posted by Patrick Roche-Sowa - Monday, June 16, 2008 12:04 PM

633492147851517115.jpg
In another one of the possible leaks we've uncovered, it appears that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 will follow the Civil War storyline detailed in the comics.
If the game is real, and sees the light of day, players will be able to choose which side they want to fight for, and can assemble a team from over 20 Marvel superheroes, including the Hulk, Wolverine, Spiderman, Venom, and the Human Torch.
Players can also reportedly combine the superpowers of their team to create new and exciting abilities, like allowing Storm and Spiderman to generate lightning-webs. Neato. We'll give you any more details as they are revealed, but for now, we're interested.

There also seems to be a spider man vs marvel zombies game, here is the site G4 gave. It looks like good stuff

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312708

[quote name='Rodimus']fuckin' ain't that the truth. I hate all the Thunderbolt delays. I just finished the last issue with Norman
turning back into the Green Goblin
and it was my favortie comic I read in the past several months. If there are people in this thread that hasn't picked up a T-Bolts issue yet I urge you to go back, pick up the trades, and get on board with this series. Truly one of Marvels finest.

I'm starting to get hooked on Spider-Man OMD, I hated all the snow storm, Aztec god, Freak, Menace (wannabe Goblin), etc. crap so this month I swore I was gonna give it up. But it delivered slightly:
Mary Jane coming finally making her debut & I hear there will be an update on Eddie Brock in the next month or so.
[/quote]
I so feel ya on the spiderman. The snow storm sucked the stupid villians sucked and lets not talk about
the other spider man

Got back from my local Comic store and picked up a few. Mainly one shots & first issues that I missed. Plus a few other goodies. Trying to collect some older Thanos stories. Can't find locate Marvel: The End tpb.

Wolverine: The Amazing Immortal Man
Captain Britain and MI 13 #1
Cable #4
Hulk vs Hercules: When Titans Collide
Eternals #1
Dead She Said #1
Thanos: Cosmic Powers #1
Infinity Gauntlet #6
Y: The Last Man vol.7
Marvel Magazine: Doctor Doom w/ mini-statue

Yeah, they had like 20 left. And from what I've heard it's very good. Big spoiler at the end
apparently Captain Britain dies!!!

I'm on a Thanos comic quest right now. Buying all his important appearance comics. Need to finish up my Infinity Gauntlet collection and locate a copy of Logan's Run #6 which includes his first solo story. I saw one in the store but they were asking for too much.

[quote name='yukafls']Did they have any more Captain Britain and MI13 #1 left??? I would kill for one of those.;)[/quote]

It shouldn't be too hard finding it since a second printing of it shipped this week.

I got a nice little haul today at the comic store today. I still haven't quite sorted out everything I wanna stick with, but I'm getting there. I'm finally starting to branch out from the Marvel side of things a little more. Anyhoo, ended up picking up:

Wolverine 66 Old Man Logan
The Incredible Hercules 118
X-Factor 32
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
The Dresden Files 2
Manhunter 31 (finally checking out something on the DC side of things!)
Caliber First Canon of Justice 2
George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards 1

Old Man Logan is good, but felt really short. I'm hoping the next issues get better in that regard. I was hoping to pick up the variant cover, but the $30 they were asking for it was way too damn much for me.

Joe Quesada interview about Secret Invasion done back at the NY Comic-con. He doesn't really say anything new, but if you're reading the series it's worth a watch.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uidY08jCaXA[/media]

[quote name='Rodimus']Joe Quesada interview about Secret Invasion done back at the NY Comic-con. He doesn't really say anything new, but if you're reading the series it's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uidY08jCaXA[/quote]

Good interview with Quesada. I has me hyped for what the House of Ideas has still to reveal.

Okay, entirely random, but here's my current pull list. I need to eliminate some titles from it, as my comics are getting WAY too expensive. I have some ideas on what I wanna cut, but I figured, what the hell, why not ask the comic thread for their opinion. So here goes:

DARK HORSE BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
DC COMICS ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER
DC COMICS BATMAN
DC COMICS BOOSTER GOLD
DC COMICS BRAVE AND THE BOLD
DC COMICS DETECTIVE COMICS
DC COMICS FABLES
DC COMICS FINAL CRISIS
DC COMICS GREEN ARROW BLACK CANARY
DC COMICS GREEN LANTERN
DC COMICS GREEN LANTERN CORPS
DC COMICS JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA
DC COMICS JUSTICE SOCIETY of AMERICA
DC COMICS TEEN TITANS
IMAGE COMICS INVINCIBLE
MARVEL COMICS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
MARVEL COMICS ASTONISHING X-MEN
MARVEL COMICS AVENGERS INITIATIVE
MARVEL COMICS CAPTAIN AMERICA
MARVEL COMICS DEADPOOL
MARVEL COMICS EXILES
MARVEL COMICS FANTASTIC FOUR
MARVEL COMICS INVINCIBLE IRON MAN
MARVEL COMICS IRON MAN
MARVEL COMICS NEW AVENGERS
MARVEL COMICS NEW WARRIORS
MARVEL COMICS RUNAWAYS
MARVEL COMICS SECRET INVASION
MARVEL COMICS THUNDERBOLTS
MARVEL COMICS ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN
MARVEL COMICS UNCANNY X-MEN
MARVEL COMICS X-MEN
MARVEL COMICS YOUNG (NEW) X-MEN

I'm currently thinking of dropping: Brave and the Bold, Exiles, Iron Man: Director of Shield, New Warriors, Thunderbolts (since Ellis is done after this issue this week), and Young X-Men.

Here are my suggestions and comments

DC COMICS ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER

- Only released bi-monthly(at best). It's so stupid it's almost parody. But I'd wait for a trade if you really dig it

DC COMICS GREEN ARROW BLACK CANARY

- Don't understand who this book is aimed at, but at least it isn't 'Titans' bad

DC COMICS JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA

- I really want to like this due to McDuffie, but I just can't
Amazo again? /yawn

DC COMICS TEEN TITANS

-I'm still digging this, but there's so much better out there

MARVEL COMICS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

- The new status quo is too much of a regression to me. But I've been reading just to see where they go with it

MARVEL COMICS AVENGERS INITIATIVE

- I thought this was done soon anyway?

MARVEL COMICS EXILES

-Complete trash. Forgettable before Claremont came aboard. Since the relaunch, cancer-causing terrible

MARVEL COMICS FANTASTIC FOUR

- First arc had a terrible ending. I have a feeling it'll just be Millar's crazy ideas w/ weak resolutions

MARVEL COMICS IRON MAN

- This the SHIELD one? If so, the new one is better

MARVEL COMICS NEW AVENGERS

- I'd say keep this through at least SI, since it seems to be where we'll learn ALL the good stuff...;)

MARVEL COMICS RUNAWAYS

- The current arc is bad, and seems to be taking forever. Aren't they
still in the past?

I agree with New Warriors & Exiles, drop em' they both suck. Whedon's run on the Runaways is done and like manthing said I heard it was bad, why not drop that? One Iron Man comic is enough for me, the Invincible Iron Man seems to be the best one out their, cancel anything else. Sorry I can't help you with DC stuff, the only one I started to collect was Batman.

Personally I would stick with The Thunderbolts. I really like the team, plus I heard a rumor that Speedball is coming back. I want to see if that's true.

As for Spider-Man it's a love/hate thing. It obviously eats away at our wallets since it's 3 times a month, and the stories have been pretty shitty. But like everyone else I just can't drop it. I feel the same torwards the Fantastic Four. The last arc didn't meet my expectations but it wasn't all that bad.

I feel like I'm willing to keep ASBaR on the list since it doesn't come out often and it's gotten to the point where I just laugh at the pure ridiculousness of it. Plus Jim Lee on art is never a bad thing and his art almost single-handedly saves Frank Miller's senility.

Green Arrow Black Canary is one of those titles I KNOW I should drop, yet I can't bring myself to. Mostly this is cause GA is prolly my favorite DC character not called Batman, and I feel like I should support this series, even if it's getting pretty ridiculous. But yeah, at least it isn't as bad as Titans. I picked up 3 issues of that and I'm pretty sure I'm done with that, :lol:

JLofA is definitely one I'm considering dropping. The fact that Red Tornado and Vixen are taking up the spotlights in the arcs instead of the Big Three or even more of Red Arrow and Hawkgirl just irks me. I keep holding on, hoping eventually Batman, RA or Hawkgirl will become important. Hell, the only thing that made me excited last issue was it seemed like McDuffie is going to shoe-horn Zatanna on the team since she actually was listed in the roster at the beginning.

Teen Titans is another of those books that isn't great, but I'm strangely enjoying it. I can't explain why, but it's just fun. Though I can't wait for this stupid Terror Titans plot to be over with. It's so meh.

As for Spider-Man....I know a lot of people aren't enjoying Brand New Day, but besides the horrid Bob Gale-written issues, I've been really enjoying it. I still sorta wish that JMS got his original ending to OMD and had Gwen Stacy come back instead of Harry. Oh well. This is one of those titles I know I prolly shouldn't be enjoying but I strangely do. It's definitely like Rodimus said; it eats at my wallet, but I just can't drop it.

Is Avengers: The Initiative ending? I hadn't heard anything like that, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm not too sure I like this new class of members that came up, so that's why I'd consider dropping it. Task Master is one of the few things that makes me wanna keep reading. Him, Ant Man, and the potential to finally find out who that damn Mutant Zero is...

I started reading Exiles solely cause of Psylocke, and holy shit is Chris Claremont a horrible writer anymore. I just can't stand him anymore. It's like he's gone to the Frank Miller School of Senility. Not even my love of Psylocke can save this title me-thinks, and it makes me glad that everyone else is telling me "DROP THIS", :lol:

Fantastic Four....The first arc was kinda meh, but I absolutely LOVE Doom, so this can stay at least for the next arc since Doom is gonna play a huge role in it.

I loved the first 25 or so issues of Iron Man when Ellis and the Knaufs were writing, and it was sort of like the Iron Man equivalent of Captain America, with a giant arc going on in the background of little arcs. However, with the Knaufs leaving the title, I don't have much faith in it, and Invincible Iron Man is SO much better. That's why I think this one is getting kicked to the curb.

At least with Runaways, I've stuck with this title since the very beginning. I wouldn't say Whedon's arc was bad, it was just incredibly slow. I mean, it took him over a freaking year to get through one six-issue arc. That's ridiculous. At least his arc is done after today, and the new volume is starting next month. I think this'll stay at least through the beginning of the new volume, so I can see how Terry Moore and Humberto Ramos do on it.

I enjoyed New Warriors at first, but it's gotten to the point where every issue is the same. We get it....Jubilee doesn't trust Night Thrasher...Night Thrasher flakes out and is doing something else shady....Team gets in trouble....Rest of the team proves useless...It just gets tiring.

As for Thunderbolts....I dunno. I love the team, but I'm not sure how well Christos Gage will do now that he's going to be writing the REAL issues that will have consequences. I got onto this title for Warren Ellis, and it just feels wrong to see another person carrying on his vision.

So I take it New Warriors hasn't picked up in the last few issues. It's like they don't know what to write about so they're stalling. After World War Hulk the series went into the dumpster. Not to mention besides Thrasher and Jubilee the rest of the team is forgettable. 7 issues in and I have no clue what each of their powers are.

I haven't heard any info on the Initiative ending either. I now Slot's run is done and that's were I jumped ship on the series. And like you mentioned Karsh, Taskmaster was the best thing in the series.

If you want to drop T-Bolts go ahead. I'll let you know if the arc is any good when it comes out.

I'm also considering dropping a few comics. My student loans went up and I may have to take a sacrifice. I'll make a list of several comics I'm considering to drop soon and see what you guys think.

Here's my subscription list, what do you guys think I should drop?

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
AVENGERS FAIRY TALES
BLACK PANTHER #39
BUCKAROO BANZAI
BUCKAROO BANZAI THE PREQUEL
BUDDHA STORY OF ENLIGHTENMENT
CAPTAIN AMERICA
CAPTAIN MARVEL
DARK TOWER
FANTASTIC FOUR
GENEXT
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY
HULK
INCREDIBLE HERCULES
INVINCIBLE IRON MAN
KICK ASS
LOCKE & KEY
MARVEL 1985
MIGHTY AVENGERS
MS MARVEL #28
NEW AVENGERS
NEW THUNDERBOLTS
NEW UNIVERSAL
NOVA
SECRET INVASION
SECRET INVASION: FANTASTIC FOUR
SECRET INVASION: RUNAWAYS YOUNG AVENGERS
SHE-HULK 2 #31
SKAAR SON OF HULK
SPIDER-MAN WITH GREAT POWER
THOR
THOR AGES OF THUNDER
THUNDERBOLTS
TRANSFORMERS
TRANSFORMERS SPOTLIGHT
TRANSFORMERS REIGN OF STARSCREAM
ULTIMATE ORIGINS
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN
ULTIMATES 3
UNCANNY X-MEN
VENOM: DARK ORIGINS
WOLVERINE
WOLVERINE ORIGINS
X-FACTOR
X-FORCE

I'd look at dropping, if it was me:

Wolverine Origins, Genext, Avengers Fairy Tales (though it IS only a mini-series), and Hulk. Jeph Loeb is horrid. A-Bomb? Who thought that was a good idea?!? Add in that it takes him like twelve years to get one issue done, and it just seems like that could be dropable. Though, that's sorta like me and ASBaR, so I prolly don't have much to stand on there, :lol:

I'm loving Wolverine Origins, however the art is a little odd. Everyone looks like a plastic doll. The last arc with Deadpool was alot of fun, but not really keeping true to the "Origins" idea. I can see why people are turned off.

I gave GenNext a shot but issue #1 didn't grab me, I may drop it.

Avengers Fairy Tales is okay. Like you said it's a mini-series. I only have 2 issues left, might as well finish it up. Issue #1 was Peter Pan, #2 was Pinnochio, & #3 looks like Alice in Wonderland.

The Hulk series hasn't got much love from me. However the next issue is supposed to be the Red vs Green so I gotta read that and see if it's any good. Plus I want to know who the R-Hulk is. I have an idea.....

I haven't read comics for a while, but Wolverine Origins was pretty good. I was no to big fan of the Fairy Tales series, it seemed......awkward. And hopefully they do end the Initiative series, after they graduate they just have new people. Its like beating a dead horse.

I've been collecting these mini statues from the Marvel Magazine printed out of the UK. I want to buy a ton of them and fill my shelf with them. Here's a pic of what I have so far. It's missing Yellowjacket who I picked up yesterday:

MarvelStatues.jpg

YEAH!!! I went and got comics today. I picked up

Angle #2-really good series
1985 #1-it is different, not sure where they are going to take it
Runaways/Young Avengers-Thank god it is a 3 issue series, it is drawn kinda like anime style
New Avengers #41, 42-SI is heating up
and Mighty Avengers #13-I missed out on this a while ago and wanted to fill a gap

Not too bad of a score, depending on my funds, I may go back.

Oh, and those action figures are pretty cool. I go to a website where they sometimes have a sale on them, check it out

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=515&company=0&category=2932

That's really sad abut Michael Turner. He was a great talent.

Phew, I just let go of a bunch of comics. Not all are subscriptions, some I wanted 1 or 2 issue of (Tie-ins). It was just getting way too expensive. I spent $130 last month. This'll probably knock off $50.

Avengers Fairy Tales
Batman
Black Panther
Buckaroo Banzai Return of the Screw
Buddha Story of Enlightenment
Genext
Invincible Iron Man
Marvel 1985
Ms Marvel
Newuniversal Shockfront
Secret Invasion FF
Secret Invasion Young Avengers/Runaways
She Hulk 2
Spider-Man With Great Power
X-Factor
X-Force

EDIT: BTW I updated this weeks list in the OP.

The only things I wouldn't have dropped of that are Batman, Invincible Iron Man, and X-Factor. Those three are all absolutely AMAZING comics that are definitely worth reading.

The SI Runaways/Young Avengers is like drawn anime style. Its kinda disappointing, I expected it to be like how it was in SI #1 and 2.

[quote name='karsh']The only things I wouldn't have dropped of that are Batman, Invincible Iron Man, and X-Factor. Those three are all absolutely AMAZING comics that are definitely worth reading.[/quote]

I know, but I've never been a huge fan of the franchises or characters. The only reason I picked them up at all was because people told me to. They're often shoved aside so I can read other comics. There's always TPB.

Anyone else here excited about Stephen King's "The Stand" getting a comic book adaptation?

Its been a while since people posted in here, I got some Darkhawk comics that are pretty good. I would definitely recommend.

Been on vacation for a week, when I got home my monthly comics were waiting for me :D I blazed through a bunch of them already. Secret Invasion is shaping up okay, however the main title is just all over the place. The warping between 5 different settings has me wishing they'd stick to one scene for at least more than 2 pages. Make it a giant-size and charge an extra $1. That's an idea.

There's a comic book social group if anyone cares to join. So far I'm the only member and it's kinda lonely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know about the social groups until now. Anyway, I'm now in the comic group so it should be slightly less lonely now

^ Unfortunatly no. I'm planing on changing my subscription service to have my comics mailed out weekly. I hate waiting a whole month to catch up.

bread's done
Back