Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

The comparison to Star Wars is stretching it (wikipedia lol) because it carries vastly different tones and emotions than Star Wars does. Also, the covers are fantastic. Another one of Fiona Staples strengths as a penciler/artist. I'm a fan of having less on a cover, with the exceptions being Avengers and Justice League books. But, hey, people have different opinions on artwork.

Saying that about Staples, I feel her work on Mystery Society is superior, but nobody read that because people are stupid and don't like to give awesome books a shot.

http://KNCI.NET

Are you uniform at the moment looking for the complete Valentine’s Light of light of day prize suited an eye to that distinctive someone in your life? Shopping malls are filled with vibrant pink and red displays mien traditional get-together gifts. You beget seen the shelves filled with flowers, confectionery, intelligence cards and candles. These items partake of failed to collar the quiddity of your feelings because they are plainly too ordinary.

replica rolex

Challenge yourself this Valentine’s Lifetime to look olden times the au fait and descry an incredible Valentine’s Epoch gift. There is a extra clock on the procure to hand proper for the loved the same on your Valentine’s Vague daylight shopping list. Use watches are endless, smart and effective gifts that evidence your destroy of sincerity. Select from a heterogeneity of styles that are worthwhile investments, in style accessories, and tailored to chance on the needs of wearers from all walks of life.

http://EXDROB.COM

Are you at rest looking an perception to the perfect Valentine’s Touch off of day jackpot suited for that singular someone in your life? Shopping malls are filled with vibrant pink and red displays bearing household tea break gifts. You beget seen the shelves filled with flowers, sweetmeats, greeting cards and candles. These items deliver failed to bring the essential nature of your feelings because they are plainly too ordinary.

replica rolex

Struggle yourself this Valentine’s Hour to look olden times the common and disinter an signal Valentine’s Daytime gift. There is a sybaritism clock on the call fitting because the loved anybody on your Valentine’s Lifetime shopping list. Use watches are changeless, spiffy and sound gifts that get across your steady of sincerity. Opt from a number of styles that are gainful investments, in accessories, and tailored to meet the needs of wearers from all walks of life.

http://EXDROB.COM

Are you placid looking into the mark Valentine’s Light of day jackpot suited for that special someone in your life? Shopping malls are filled with vibrant pink and red displays pertinence traditional holiday gifts. You beget seen the shelves filled with flowers, sweetmeats, intelligence cards and candles. These items be struck before failed to collar the chief nature of your feelings because they are plainly too ordinary.

replica rolex

Gather out yourself this Valentine’s Daytime to look preceding the fair enough and feel an remarkable Valentine’s Daytime gift. There is a enjoyment knowledge on the procure handy proper for the loved anybody on your Valentine’s Lifetime shopping list. Sumptuousness watches are unlimited, with it and pragmatic gifts that bring into contact with your unflappable of sincerity. Pick from a covey of styles that are worthwhile investments, fashionable accessories, and tailored to into the needs of wearers from all walks of life.

[quote name='GhostShark']The comparison to Star Wars is stretching it (wikipedia lol) because it carries vastly different tones and emotions than Star Wars does. Also, the covers are fantastic. Another one of Fiona Staples strengths as a penciler/artist. I'm a fan of having less on a cover, with the exceptions being Avengers and Justice League books. But, hey, people have different opinions on artwork.

Saying that about Staples, I feel her work on Mystery Society is superior, but nobody read that because people are stupid and don't like to give awesome books a shot.[/QUOTE]
Well if we were to take another space opera (if that is indeed what Saga is), lets say, the Metabarons... every single page in that massive collection is filled with amazing artwork. You can seriously open the book to any page and have your jaw dropped.

Like you said, art is subjective so its down to personal taste but I'd personally rather have this:
metabarons1original.jpg

Than this:
1346175648saga6.png

Theres just so much more detail. So many more interesting things to see. Thats the whole point of comics to me. Not the plain old solid shadowed Marvel pop-art.

[quote name='slowdive21']Longbox or short box are the way to go, but...
Priority mail medium flat rate box (free at every PO) are great for comics. Alternate the bindings since they are going to be stacked. If you ever want to sell them they are ready to go. ;)[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'll have to make a trip to the post office. Do you just ask for one and they give it to you free? How many comics do each one of those hold?

Where would I be able to get some long or short boxes at? Any free places?

I am failing to see how Fiona Staples is "Marvel pop-art". I mean, what does that even mean? You mean something like Bagley, Finch or Yu? Because, even then, I am not seeing it. As for detail, Staples is one of the few pencilers that is known for her amazing attention to detail with characters, and the details of the character's wide range of emotions. When you say "pop-art", I think of something like Mike Allred (which is awesome). Or to a lesser extent, JRJR.

[quote name='Blackout']Cool, I'll have to make a trip to the post office. Do you just ask for one and they give it to you free? How many comics do each one of those hold?

Where would I be able to get some long or short boxes at? Any free places?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the double post!

Most comic shops carry them. They usually range from 5-10 bucks. I believe, long boxes can hold up to 400-500 comics.

[quote name='GhostShark']I am failing to see how Fiona Staples is "Marvel pop-art". I mean, what does that even mean? You mean something like Bagley, Finch or Yu? Because, even then, I am not seeing it. As for detail, Staples is one of the few pencilers that is known for her amazing attention to detail with characters, and the details of the character's wide range of emotions. When you say "pop-art", I think of something like Mike Allred (which is awesome). Or to a lesser extent, JRJR.[/QUOTE]

All art isn't for everyone. Hell, of the two images they posted, I prefer the second over the first. All that detail makes the color lose intensity (or at least that one page seems kind of washed out) while the colors on the Saga page are much more vibrant and make the images kind of 'pop', for lack of a better word.

[quote name='GhostShark']Sorry for the double post!

Most comic shops carry them. They usually range from 5-10 bucks. I believe, long boxes can hold up to 400-500 comics.[/QUOTE]

Do these do a good job of keeping the comics straight up and prevents bending?

I will also toss in a vote for Saga. It is definitely one of my consistent favorites each month.

I am a lover of all things zombies, but I am starting to lose interest in Walking Dead. Even the big issue 100 didn't drag me back in. It just feels flat to me these days. I kind of hope Kirkman will end it soon, though I doubt that will happen for a very long time. On the other hand I felt the same way with Invincible but now I am very excited by 100 coming out soon.

Out of the new Marvel stuff I kind of think Thunderbolts suck so far. Not a big fan of Red Hulk and I don't like anything they are doing with Venom and Punisher. I also dislike the art quick looks a lot like volume 2 of Punisher Max. I don't really know many artists, but it just feels super flat and lifeless.

I recently read Alabaster Wolves and thought it was awesome and I may need to pick up the books on the character.

Did anyone get tired of Morning Glories. I stopped months ago because it just felt like it was going nowhere, but I see tons of praise. Maybe I should try again.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I will also toss in a vote for Saga. It is definitely one of my consistent favorites each month.

I am a lover of all things zombies, but I am starting to lose interest in Walking Dead. Even the big issue 100 didn't drag me back in. It just feels flat to me these days. I kind of hope Kirkman will end it soon, though I doubt that will happen for a very long time. On the other hand I felt the same way with Invincible but now I am very excited by 100 coming out soon.

Out of the new Marvel stuff I kind of think Thunderbolts suck so far. Not a big fan of Red Hulk and I don't like anything they are doing with Venom and Punisher. I also dislike the art quick looks a lot like volume 2 of Punisher Max. I don't really know many artists, but it just feels super flat and lifeless.

I recently read Alabaster Wolves and thought it was awesome and I may need to pick up the books on the character.

Did anyone get tired of Morning Glories. I stopped months ago because it just felt like it was going nowhere, but I see tons of praise. Maybe I should try again.[/QUOTE]

You're pretty much right about Thunderbolts. Steve Dillon's pencils have always been lifeless and dull, at least in the books he draws.

I am nearly done with Morning Glories. It's been over 20 issues, and there is still no coherent plotline or narrative outlook for the series. I literally have no idea what is going on half the time, and Spencer keeps tossing new characters in with every single issue. It's a shame, too, because I love the artwork and covers. I figure I will give it another issue or two and if the same stuff keeps happening, it will be dropped.

Dillon is a mixed bag for me. I think it's his need to draw full lips all the time that gives his charcters that pouty look. I never hated his stuff but in IMO he's better suited for non-super hero books.

I'm a few issues behind in Morning Glories. That book dropped off the deep end quick. It's a shame since I like to have several non-superhero books in my pull list, but when a story isn't going anywhere what can you do.

I watched an episode of Ultimate Spider-Man today. How the hell does that garbage get another season but Avengers EMH gets canned? That was probably the best Marvel cartoon since the 90's X-Men. Marvel really needs to take a que from DC about their animated stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvel should adapt more of their comic storylines into animated movies like DC does. Ulitmate spiderman disappointed the hell out of my since I love the comics and at least theres the new avengers coming cartoon coming out.

Also Young Justice is amazing imo.

I wasn't disappointed by the Ultimate Spider-man show itself, but I was a little disappointed that they used the title but has nothing to do with the Ultimate Marvel line.

[quote name='Blackout']Cool, I'll have to make a trip to the post office. Do you just ask for one and they give it to you free? How many comics do each one of those hold?

Where would I be able to get some long or short boxes at? Any free places?[/QUOTE]

Yeah they give them out free. They may even be in the lobby at some locations. They hold about 50 comics that are bagged and boarded. A longbox or shortbox would be better, but the PO boxes work well for short term storage and sorting.

just wondering if ppl use kickstarter and support some of the comic projects there? i got two books this month and can post pics of the finish product

[quote name='Dokstarr']Did anyone get tired of Morning Glories. I stopped months ago because it just felt like it was going nowhere, but I see tons of praise. Maybe I should try again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GhostShark']I am nearly done with Morning Glories. It's been over 20 issues, and there is still no coherent plotline or narrative outlook for the series. I literally have no idea what is going on half the time, and Spencer keeps tossing new characters in with every single issue. It's a shame, too, because I love the artwork and covers. I figure I will give it another issue or two and if the same stuff keeps happening, it will be dropped.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm a few issues behind in Morning Glories. That book dropped off the deep end quick. It's a shame since I like to have several non-superhero books in my pull list, but when a story isn't going anywhere what can you do[/QUOTE]

I'm with all of you, that book is just too hard to read monthly because it's really hard to keep track of the cast which has been constantly expanding and changing, and the plot has been slowly getting stranger without any real resolution to anything to make reading new issues seem meaningful. I totally agree with you GhostShark though the artwork is nice. I ended up dropping it a month or two ago, and I think I'll just wait for it to finish (and then based on impressions of the ending) look into picking up TPBs from where I left off.

--

Also, add me to the loves Fiona Staples artwork camp. I really like her style and I think it fits Saga perfectly.

[quote name='moon_knight']Marvel should adapt more of their comic storylines into animated movies like DC does. Ulitmate spiderman disappointed the hell out of my since I love the comics and at least theres the new avengers coming cartoon coming out.
[/QUOTE]
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes I find to be quite awesome though. As for their straight to retail movies, God, they really wasted Ultimates. Especially with all the hype they had on how they followed it panel by panel (they didn't) or how they matched Hitch's artstyle (sure as fuck didn't). Though Hulk Vs. was pretty good.

Though I can't really think of any specific Marvel stories I can see easily adatable in 70-90 minutes. That or just can be easily condensed. It feels majority of Marvel's big memorable stories always seem to immediately tie into the next crossover before it's even established what it is is the problem I see. Like you can't end a Civil War animated movie with Cap either arrested or dead.

Planet Hulk was good. Maybe a follow-up with World War Hulk would be intresting. But most of all I would kill for an Annhilation animated movie.

The only Marvel animated films I enjoyed were Doctor Strange, Planet Hulk and the first Ultimates. I wish they would expand upon it. Maybe adapt the events (House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Annihilation, Chaos War, etc) to films.

I am digging the IDW My Little Pony Comics! since its my first comic series in general I am going to start taking a look at other series from IDW which ones do you CAGs recommend?

IDW isn't all that great. They deal mostly in comics based on movies and TV shows (Dr. Who, Godzilla, Ghostbusters, Star Trek, etc) and are often times average at best. The real gems and best series come from the other, bigger publishers.

While I don't personally find it appealing, I've heard many people give praise to Locke and Key.
However, the same guy did "The Cape", which I did enjoy.

Both are IDW titles.

I heard that Star Trek, Ghostbusters, and TMNT were all great, at least from initial impressions on earlier issues.

And Earth's Mightiest Heroes was awesome. I finished the series last month and it's on par with the DC animated stuff. Sad that they decided to can it just to make way for a more tied in tie in. We'll see how that does.

And I got to say, favorite thing I read last year was Danger Club. Mostly because it's been awhile since I read anything where from the first issue shit is just going down and it continues escalating. That and ridiculously brutal. It's basically Teen Titans mixed with Lord of the Flies in a way. fucking love it. I Just hate that it's constantly getting delayed.

A little late, but I've been curious about the villains as heros books for awhile. Are Thunderbolts or Secret Six worth a read?

I read through most of a Suicide Squad with Deadshot and Harley (new 52?), but it didn't hold my interest.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']A little late, but I've been curious about the villains as heros books for awhile. Are Thunderbolts or Secret Six worth a read?

I read through most of a Suicide Squad with Deadshot and Harley (new 52?), but it didn't hold my interest.[/QUOTE]

Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Simone's Secret Six are usually praised. Might want to look into those.

The Marvel NOW Thunderbolts has been getting mostly thumbs down.

Secret Six was one of the few DC books I bought every month before the New 52. It's a shame that the book didn't transfer over, nor did many of the characters become anything thus far.

[quote name='bhk']Punk Rock Jesus was pretty fun.[/QUOTE]
Indeed, though it still has so many questions unanswered.
So was Gwen saved by an angel or not? It felt so random with the rest of the book in that last page even with the flashback to Thomas' "vision."

In short I'd gladly buy more.

Have any of you seen "The Big Easy"?

Do you think Gambit was based on Dennis Quaid's character, Remy?

On a related not Dennis Quaid would make a good '80s joker', like a Brian Bolland version.

[quote name='kodave']Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Simone's Secret Six are usually praised. Might want to look into those.

The Marvel NOW Thunderbolts has been getting mostly thumbs down.[/QUOTE]

NOW has Red Hulk/Punisher right?

I'm thinking the Ellis run, or the one with Luke Cage as the lead. I'm a little worried about how they tie into Civil War and the Fear Hammers archs, but the line-ups are interesting.

Secret Six (Simone) is looking pretty good. Looked up the Suicide Squad TPB I read and it was "Kicked in the Teeth (New 52)," I thought it was ok.

[quote name='GhostShark']The all-female X-Men book has very good potential. The only negative I can see is vampire Jubilee.[/QUOTE]

I'm intrigued by the idea. I'd like to add more X stuff to my pull list, hopefully this series is a keeper.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Really looking forward to Rising Thanos by Jason Aaron. I'm really enjoying Thor right now, so I'm sure the story should be good for Thanos.[/QUOTE]

What is this new Thanos book? I am intrigued.

So Jubilee is still a vampire? I remember reading New Warriors after Civil War thinking they couldn't possibly fuck up her character anymore. I was wrong.

Well, she may or may not be. I don't really care. I stopped reading X-Men (and X-Books except X-Factor) after she became a Vampire. But let's be honest here, she wasn't that interesting, even before Wanda's three little words at the end of House of M #7.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']NOW has Red Hulk/Punisher right?

I'm thinking the Ellis run, or the one with Luke Cage as the lead. I'm a little worried about how they tie into Civil War and the Fear Hammers archs, but the line-ups are interesting.

Secret Six (Simone) is looking pretty good. Looked up the Suicide Squad TPB I read and it was "Kicked in the Teeth (New 52)," I thought it was ok.[/QUOTE]
The Ellis run of Thunderbolts has no tie-ins to Civil War aside from the fact that the team spun out of the event. So you have to worry about no spillover whatsoever since it stays extremely self-contained. Now, you will have to read the One-Shots to get the whole story though because the main books references a literal fuck ton of things that happen in the one-shots for Songbird, Radioactive Man, and Penance.

The newer Thunderbolts book in which Cage led the team was also pretty great, but nowhere near the level of awesome that Ellis' stuff was, but how could it be without Norman Osborn crucifying people, amIright? The only problem you may have with that run is that The last couple of arcs in it are kind of mediocre and deal with a post apocalyptic future and a super blatant Judge Dredd ripoff.

[quote name='Indignate']I heard that Star Trek, Ghostbusters, and TMNT were all great, at least from initial impressions on earlier issues.

And Earth's Mightiest Heroes was awesome. I finished the series last month and it's on par with the DC animated stuff. Sad that they decided to can it just to make way for a more tied in tie in. We'll see how that does.[/QUOTE]
I agree with every inch of this.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']A little late, but I've been curious about the villains as heros books for awhile. Are Thunderbolts or Secret Six worth a read?

I read through most of a Suicide Squad with Deadshot and Harley (new 52?), but it didn't hold my interest.[/QUOTE]
All of Simone's Secret Six/Villains United stuff is perfect. It's one of the things that got me back into comics years ago and it is superb. You will never look at second/third-stringers the same again. after reading it.

As for Suicide Squad, it has a couple of okay arcs and some really, really nice character moments along the way, but I honestly can't say it's worth reading all of. It just isn't as good as ANY of the other Suicide Squad stuff.

Also, I know I'm in the minority, but the new Thunderbolts book is actually pretty damn good writing-wise. I still hate the fuck out of Steve Dillon with every ounce of my heart, but the writing is good enough to distract from the horrible tragedy of him being put on a book with such a fucking great lineup. The best part is that the characters each actually feel true to how they're portrayed in each of their books. This is really something for Deadpool and Venom as they both seem to get abused as stereo-typed versions of themselves all the time with Deadpool literally just being "HAHA! POP-CULTURE REFERENCES! I'M RANDOM!" and Venom being "SEMPER-FI! HOO-AH! I'M A JARHEAD!" Still, not as good as Ellis' run on the book, but then again, few things in life are....

[quote name='GhostShark']Well, she may or may not be. I don't really care. I stopped reading X-Men (and X-Books except X-Factor) after she became a Vampire. But let's be honest here, she wasn't that interesting, even before Wanda's three little words at the end of House of M #7.[/QUOTE]

I always saw Jubilee as my generation Kitty Pride. I wanted to see her develop and mature as a character, but unlike Kitty she never really did. I found her "sidekick" relationship with Wolverine interesting at least.

Hopefully Brian Wood can breathe some life into the character and at least make her moderately relevant.

Anybody else besides me reading Captain Marvel? Before the series, I hated Carol Danvers, but now she is my second favorite Marvel female, behind Spider-Woman. I love varying art styles between the book's artists. And good lord, dat outfit.

[quote name='Rodimus']I always saw Jubilee as my generation Kitty Pride. I wanted to see her develop and mature as a character, but unlike Kitty she never really did. I found her "sidekick" relationship with Wolverine interesting at least.[/QUOTE]
Ditto.

I still think they fucked, btw.

And Jubilee was better in the New Warriors series than anything recently.

Edit: And I've been reading Captain Marvel. Lifelong fan of Carol until this new series. It really doesn't appeal to me in the least and something just feels really off about her character.

Busiek's Thunderbolts run is definitely worth reading. There are three trades in print. Thunderbolts Classic is what it's called.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I will also toss in a vote for Saga. It is definitely one of my consistent favorites each month.

.[/QUOTE]

I still need to read saga I've heard good things. Anyone read thief of thieves? I've had my eye on it.

Invincible and walking dead have been favorites of mine for awhile and were the only series I've read consistently but my interest in walking dead is starting to wane and kinda agree with you on it ending soon but I don't see that happening with all the popularity its picked up.

[quote name='bhk']Comeback has been fun so far.[/QUOTE]

I've found it interesting, especially because I like time travel. But I have a really hard time following the characters and scene transitions in it, because I feel like the characters don't really differentiate themselves enough.

[quote name='GhostShark']The all-female X-Men book has very good potential. The only negative I can see is vampire Jubilee.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly excited for that since it has Rouge in it who I love, and you add to that Psylocke and Storm who I also really enjoy and I'm super interested.

[quote name='GhostShark']Anybody else besides me reading Captain Marvel? Before the series, I hated Carol Danvers, but now she is my second favorite Marvel female, behind Spider-Woman. I love varying art styles between the book's artists. And good lord, dat outfit.[/QUOTE]

I'm enjoying that book too, the most recent issue was really fun too, plus me also being a fan of Spider-Woman it was nice having her appear in the story (especially since she is getting basically no focus in Avengers books outside of Avengers Assemble). I like Carol's new costume (her old one was cool too though), except for the helmet I think that looks a little silly, her new hair style is sweet though.

My list of favorite Marvel females probably goes: She-Hulk (I was excited that she was in FF, and it's turned out to be my favorite Marvel book right now), Spider-Woman, and then Rouge.

bread's done
Back