Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='GhostShark']Probably not since they will always cost more, though there are some that are basic cover price, but sketch variants and stuff of that nature are always 50-200 bucks.

And yes the awesome Punisher monthly by Rucka is down, and Punisher: War Zone is going on now and it's pretty bad, which sucks because Rucka is better than this story.[/QUOTE]

Are they planning on rebooting Punisher in 2013?

I might end up getting variants for a few issues. I didn't realize that they would be more money. So they're not all the base brice of $3 or $4? I already have a huge pull list for variants probably isn't worth it.

Any opinions on the Black Beetle series from Dark House? I don't know anything about it but it looks kind of interesting.

So far, there are no plans to bring back a monthly Punisher series (that's decent). Though you can find him in Thunderbolts, but that's been pretty awful so far.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']I'm liking All New X-Men.[/QUOTE]
I'm definitely interested to see how it develops. It's my favorite mutant book currently. Wolverine and the X-men was at that spot but the AvX arc really took that book down a few notches in my opinion.

I'm also enjoying the continued Ultimate Spider-man and Ultimate X-men. Ultimate Spider-man I was initially against just because I really enjoyed the Ultimate version of Peter Parker. So far the death is lasting (backdoors planned to bring him back I assume somewhere) and it has shown to have an impact on a lot of characters. The latest issue goes into that with Jameson. If anyone else reads it don't know if it needs spoilered but
was that the Bombshell girl in the classroom with Miles and Ganke? Wasn't sure if they were spotlighting the girl because it was her or she realized that something is going on.
Ultimate X-men seems a bit slow and has a lot of hanging threads currently but there is great potential there I believe.

X-Factor is the only mutant book I need. I gave All New X-Men a shot (3 Issues) but I didn't like it. I get enough books that are 4 bucks as is, and this one isn't worth it. Maybe in TPB form.

And reading the spoilers for Spider-man #700 makes me glad I dropped that title literally decades ago. Marvel has had no idea what to do with Peter Parker and this just further cements it, though it won't matter because things will return to normal status quo in less then a year, but it'll just be another in a long line of botched stories from Marvel.

First 2 issues of New X-Men were good, but I hear issue #3 takes a dive. I'll continue to get it. But yeah, Ghost Shark nailed it, it's all about X-Factor. The wrapping up of the series is sad but it's being handled well. Not rushed or forced unlike the last run of Thunderbolts. That was bad.

Dropping Venom finally. It's a shame, it started out good but it's been pretty awful the last several issues. I hung in there for the Minimum Carnage arc but it sucked. I swear artist cant get a consensus on how to draw Cetus Cassidy, he looks diffrent in every book I see him in.

I'm scared to read Spidey #700. Honestly I've enjoyed the book since Big Time.

If anyone is interested I am selling all of my MarvelNow digitial codes, just use my CML link. Back on topic, X-men Legacy seems to be the underrated title of the relaunches, the first three issues have really taken me by surprise. Definitely worth a look.

[quote name='Rodimus']
I'm scared to read Spidey #700. Honestly I've enjoyed the book since Big Time.[/QUOTE]
I'm going to say Clone Saga levels of stupid. The fact that it's...

well...

$7.99!!!?!?!?!?!?! For a story that in all intents and purposes is made to piss people off is ridiculous.

Saying it was made to piss off people is a little pretentious and wrong. Dan Slott has said numerous times that this was his end goal, and I applaud the man for that. Even though I don't read the book (I'm not a huge Spidey fan), he does not deserve the hate he gets for doing something different. Some comic book fans need to get off their high horses and deal with change. If everything stays the same, what chance does the industry have for evolution?

And to say this is as stupid as the Clone Saga is just crazy, because this hasn't even started yet. Give Superior Spider-Man a shot before dismissing it.

[quote name='GhostShark']Saying it was made to piss off people is a little pretentious and wrong. Dan Slott has said numerous times that this was his end goal, and I applaud the man for that. Even though I don't read the book (I'm not a huge Spidey fan), he does not deserve the hate he gets for doing something different. Some comic book fans need to get off their high horses and deal with change. If everything stays the same, what chance does the industry have for evolution?

And to say this is as stupid as the Clone Saga is just crazy, because this hasn't even started yet. Give Superior Spider-Man a shot before dismissing it.[/QUOTE]
I Feel more my hate stems to Joe Quesada since every big event for Spider-man has fallen flat because he has no idea what to do with the character. Every major change from the organic web shooters after he cocoons himself in HIS own body, revealing his identity, EATING ANOTHER MAN'S FACE and taking out Mary Jane all have been pointless and just frustrating. Hell, I'm not even going to bring up the twins debacle. What made Peter Parker great as a character is his own personal humanity, this is evidence in Spider-men #5 where it took time to focus on his character and reflect with the Ultimate versions of Gwen Stacy and Aunt May. Friggin fantastic, but Marvel has done enough where everytime they make an overblown event for Spider-man it just serves to piss people off before a year or so later they quietly change it and hope people forget about it. It's not a high horse I'm on, it's just I hate that this is the only way they feel they have to do these GIGANTIC changes to make people recognize.

I've seen some reviews of spidey 700 and they were all fairly positive. Seems like most of the hate is from people who haven't even read it.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Feel more my hate stems to Joe Quesada since every big event for Spider-man has fallen flat because he has no idea what to do with the character. [/QUOTE]

This is the problem with the comic industry now. Everyone who is responsible for the crash are in positions of power and making the same mistakes.

Somehow I managed to avoid spoilers and read Spidey #700. I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either. It's just... weird, intense but weird. I'm intrigued enough to pick up Superior Spider-Man and see where this is going. Still, it's just such an odd concept but zany enough that only a comic book could pull off.

Still I can't see this being a permanent thing.

[quote name='Rodimus']Somehow I managed to avoid spoilers and read Spidey #700. I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either. It's just... weird, intense but weird. I'm intrigued enough to pick up Superior Spider-Man and see where this is going. Still, it's just such an odd concept but zany enough that only a comic book could pull off.

Still I can't see this being a permanent thing.[/QUOTE]

I also avoided spoilers and was surprised but not sure how I really felt about the ending. At the very least, it's unexpected and different, but there's no way this will last. I have not agreed with a lot of the direction Parker's life has taken over the past 10 years or so, but I have enjoyed Slott's run on ASM so I'll refrain from judgement until I get through the first few issues of Superior.

Looks like the artist changes will continue. Noto will replace Dillon on Thunderbolts and Simonson will replace Yu on Hulk. I would normally be upset with Yu being off the book, but he rarely ever stays on a book for extended periods of time.

Walt Simonson on Hulk? Yech. Those few issues of Avengers he did were not well done at all. I'm all for appreciating the work someone has done in the past but the work he's doing now is far below where he used to be in his heyday.

Noto goes from Uncanny X-Force to Uncanny T-Bolts. Same general premise, same artist. I like Noto so I'll try it for a few more issues. IMO, though, T-Bolts is essentially a What If? story since it shows no regard for previous continuity and character development.

Waid has said he wants to make the book mure superhero-y and campy, and Simonson can do that, but you're right. His stuff on Avengers was pretty bad. I will probably stick with the book because Waid is awesome.

In non-lame comic news I finally got Conan volume 7, I was hesitant since I really liked Nord's artwork and the preview pages on amazon for 7 look a lot less painterly and more like "standard" comic art.

It actually wasn't that bad. In the book there is an ongoing story being told within the story which is done in a different art style. I think that part was done very well. I'm not going to rush into 8 but I did enjoy the where the plot went and it gives me hope for the future volumes if/when I decide to get them.

Then you're kray kray.

Just read Star Wars #1. It's off to a good start. A little loaded with exposition, but Brian Wood has me hooked on the next few issues. D'Anda's pencils are pretty damn amazing, too.

[quote name='Rodimus']Why wouldn't you want to read Saga?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't get that at all, Saga is awesome.

In other related news, the Y, the Last Man movie hired a commercial director to helm the film ::facepalm::

[quote name='DestroVega']Yeah I don't get that at all, Saga is awesome.

In other related news, the Y, the Last Man movie hired a commercial director to helm the film ::facepalm::[/QUOTE]

Seriously? That is ass, pure ass.
I want none of that :nottalking:

[quote name='DestroVega']Yeah I don't get that at all, Saga is awesome.

In other related news, the Y, the Last Man movie hired a commercial director to helm the film ::facepalm::[/QUOTE]

There's still hope. Zack Snyder used to direct commercials before he hit it big.
I'd be more worried about the casting of Yorick. Shia Labeouf's name kept popping up a couple years ago.:cry:

[quote name='moon_knight']Because comics are for nerds.[/QUOTE]

Why are you in this thread then? Not an attack, just an honest question.

[quote name='batman1939']Spider-Man 700 question, I read the IGN review and want to know if I got this right
Peter switched bodies with a dying Doc Ock for whatever reason, broke out of prison, died in Mary Janes arms, and Dr. Spider-Ock promised to fight crime as the new Spider-Man
[/QUOTE]

Basically. It was Doc Ock's master plan. I don't remember if it was in Mary Jane's arms, but as he died, he realized that his memories were still in his brain and forced Doc Ock to relive all of it at once. This spurs Doc Ock to promise to be even better.

Personally, it kind of pisses me off. I can already see the back door return of Peter Parker as can anybody with a pulse.

After reading the fourth issue of Thor: God of Thunder, I have come to the conclusion that that Gorr the God Butcher is awesome.

[quote name='bobo2k4']There's still hope. Zack Snyder used to direct commercials before he hit it big.
I'd be more worried about the casting of Yorick. Shia Labeouf's name kept popping up a couple years ago.:cry:[/QUOTE]

It will probably be that kid from 3rd rock that is in every movie. Now he was added to Sin City 2 as well.

[quote name='moon_knight']That wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I read comics on occasion, mostly trades.[/QUOTE]

Yet, the question remains unanswered. Why no Saga?

[quote name='advanced']
Basically. It was Doc Ock's master plan. I don't remember if it was in Mary Jane's arms, but as he died, he realized that his memories were still in his brain and forced Doc Ock to relive all of it at once. This spurs Doc Ock to promise to be even better.

Personally, it kind of pisses me off. I can already see the back door return of Peter Parker as can anybody with a pulse.
[/QUOTE]

Then you're going to love Superior Spider-Man 1. *insert sarcasm here*

I read two arcs of Amazing Spider-Man recently. The Sinister Six one and the Lizard/Morbius. They were both pretty horrible and based off both I'm not surprised how ASM 700 turned out. That's just laughably bad IMO.

If Superior Spider-Man turns out to be a train wreak, I still have Ultimate Spider-Man at least.

And I just learned Joe Hill (writer of Locke & Key) is Stephen Kings son. I had no idea. Mind=Blown

Free Code for Bandette #1 from Comixology. Please post if you use it.

BA79FZ5

Also, in regards to the ending of Superior #1
Peter is still alive, in ghost form.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Saga should be on everyone's list to read.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='moon_knight']What if it's on my list of things I don't want to read?[/QUOTE]
I know I'm clearly in the minority here, but I've read Saga and I really don't like it. It doesn't manage to interest me in the least bit which is seriously disappointing to me since I loved Y so much.

[quote name='oakafanforlife']I'm just getting back into the world of comics... What is this Saga comic you guys keep mentioning?[/QUOTE]

It's easily the best comic out there right now, Hawkeye excluded. BKV's characterization and narrative style is absolutely perfect for a book like this that blends the oddball elements of fantasy and science fiction. And Fiona Staples pencils are amazing, like they usually are. The book has so much going on, so much beauty, that you often times re-read the issue and find something else new about the book. I believe the first TBP is out, so you should do yourself and favor and pick it up, then go to local comic book shop and pick up the latest two issues.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yet, the question remains unanswered. Why no Saga?[/QUOTE]
I do have an interest in Saga, but I plan on finishing some other series I've already started. Also I prefer to read something after the hype has died down.

I'm building up a nice sized collection the past few months of single issues. How are you guys storing your comics so they don't get bent/edges messed up/other physical issues when they're already in bags & boards? I was standing them up on my bookshelf then noticed some of the corners of the issues were getting messed up.

I keep all mine in longboxes, mostly. Otherwise they are just in random stacks around my place until they are in longboxes, haha.

[quote name='GhostShark']I keep all mine in longboxes, mostly. Otherwise they are just in random stacks around my place until they are in longboxes, haha.[/QUOTE]

I've also been stacking them on top of each other and when I look at the stack it looks like they are all bending.

[quote name='Blackout']I've also been stacking them on top of each other and when I look at the stack it looks like they are all bending.[/QUOTE]

Longbox or short box are the way to go, but...
Priority mail medium flat rate box (free at every PO) are great for comics. Alternate the bindings since they are going to be stacked. If you ever want to sell them they are ready to go. ;)

Regarding Saga...

Wiki says its a Space Opera that is heavily influenced by Star Wars. Some people don't like the setting, some people don't like Star Wars.
The cover art looks very standard, another big drawback for me. I expect great things from comic art, otherwise I'd just read a book. Someone mentioned the pencils are great but I haven't seen anything amazing from a quick google search.
I cannot comment on anything other than that, but first impressions are big.

Its not something I'd personally put on my "to read" list.

bread's done
Back