Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='GhostShark']Kid Loki has a few cheap laughs and sarcastic lines, but outside of that, there isn't much there.[/QUOTE]

JIM #645 alone kind of disproves that statement because there was basically none of that, but I honestly felt like there was a lot of characterization to Kid Loki across the entire run beyond your very narrow description.

[quote name='GhostShark']And I don't see that changing in a team book such as Young Avengers.[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair Kid Loki isn't really Kid Loki anymore, so who knows what's going to happen...

[quote name='jza1218']Final Crisis is a great concept and really strong for the first three issues. But it fell apart after that, and made little sense.[/QUOTE]
I think it made perfect sense. You just had to read it with Superman Beyond 3D to get the whole picture.

[quote name='icebeast']
Well to be fair Kid Loki isn't really Kid Loki anymore, so who knows what's going to happen...[/QUOTE]
I don't know, I think that the whole thing with Kid Loki is that despite his trying to change he will revert to his old self in the end. The only question is not if, but when.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I think it made perfect sense. You just had to read it with Superman Beyond 3D to get the whole picture.

[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have to read a miniseries to get the whole picture for another book. I just think the whole thing fell apart halfway through. And I like Morrison, his X-Men run is one of my favorite runs and I loved We3. But Final Crisis just didn't work.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I don't know, I think that the whole thing with Kid Loki is that despite his trying to change he will revert to his old self in the end. The only question is not if, but when.[/QUOTE]

I mean possibly, but I kind of feel fairly confident that Loki is actually in Kid Loki's body and there is nothing left of Kid Loki presently. In JIM #645
it's fairly obvious that Loki intentionally backstabbed Kid Loki without him knowing about it, because it's clear that Kid Loki didn't want the result of that backstab. Then I mean you also have the fact that Loki makes it fairly clear that the only way to get rid of the crown which is going to cause the problem is to eliminate Kid Loki who keeps it in existance, so I'm kind of under the impression that Loki just convinced Kid Loki to delete himself from his own body so Loki could take his place, waiting until Kid Loki did what he couldn't do himself which was to make everyone not see him as a villain (which is what Kid Loki sees as his only win in the situation, that he did something that Loki could never do himself).

I Enjoyed the Geoff Johns tie in issues of Final Crisis. That alone made me say it was worth it enough. Otherwise it kinda doesn't matter anymore since if we were to all dissect the things that happened in Final Crisis and add in the relaunch of 52 and how somethings exist and some don't and all the continuity errors that still exist, well, I think we'd all literally bash our heads through the walls.

[quote name='bardockkun']But the thing is in the Iron Man films the Mandarin can't be Asian because Tony isn't kidnapped in Vietnam like back in the old days of the 60's. It's even established way beforehand or hinted at that he won't be Asian since Tony was kidnapped in the first movie in the very beginning by a terrorist group called The Ten Rings.[/QUOTE]
The middle east is technically west asia.

[quote name='icebeast']JIM #645 alone kind of disproves that statement because there was basically none of that, but I honestly felt like there was a lot of characterization to Kid Loki across the entire run beyond your very narrow description.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's very narrow at all. I read about the first 10 issues of Journey Into Mystery (when it all rebooted during the laughable Fear Itself) and I had to drop it because of Kid Loki. I'll admit Leah was cool because of her antagonistic nature towards KL, but it wasn't nearly enough to warrant a monthly buy. If it takes more than ten issues of a book for a character to show something new then I will drop the book. That being said, it was during Fear Itself and that was a poorly plotted and delivered event. So my dismissal of the book (and subsequently, the character) could be skewed by that. The book did have some rad covers, though.

And while we are on the topic of Journey Into Mystery, I would like to see Marvel bring back Tales of Suspense, and they can sort of be like the Detective and Action Comics of Marvel. Or maybe Tomb of Dracula so we can get to see some more of that part of the Marvel universe. I've always liked books like that. It's a shame we don't more of that.

[quote name='jza1218']You shouldn't have to read a miniseries to get the whole picture for another book. I just think the whole thing fell apart halfway through. And I like Morrison, his X-Men run is one of my favorite runs and I loved We3. But Final Crisis just didn't work.[/QUOTE]

Eh, the only thing Superman Beyond did was explain Mandrak or whatever his nsme was. Final Crisis as a whole felt like it should have been longer and was rushed near the end. I think Superman Beyond should have been incorporated into the main book, but DC had a thing for 7 issue crisis events at the time. Pretty much everything is explained in the book, but Morrison doesnt bash the reader over the head with it like some writers do.

The art changes (as much as I like the other artists) were a detraction not to mention the rumors behind the whys of it, and Countdown forced Morrison to rewrite parts of the book. Morrison didnt get the full treatment like Johns did during Infinite Crisis, and it shows. Though I still think Final Crisis is my favorite event book.

I Think it also didn't help that I bought all 52 issues of the weekly Countdown titles about Todd, Starfire and whoever else trekking through different universes. It was already a bleh to mediocre read, but once Morrison said that none of those titles meant shit. I Absolutely lost it that I spent THAT much for nothing more then watching Batman of an alternative universe get his head crushed in by Ultraman.

[quote name='Clak']The middle east is technically west asia.[/QUOTE]

You sassy jerk.

[quote name='GhostShark']I don't think it's very narrow at all. I read about the first 10 issues of Journey Into Mystery (when it all rebooted during the laughable Fear Itself) and I had to drop it because of Kid Loki. I'll admit Leah was cool because of her antagonistic nature towards KL, but it wasn't nearly enough to warrant a monthly buy. If it takes more than ten issues of a book for a character to show something new then I will drop the book. That being said, it was during Fear Itself and that was a poorly plotted and delivered event. So my dismissal of the book (and subsequently, the character) could be skewed by that.[/QUOTE]

I mean maybe this is just my strange taste showing or something, since I honestly haven't met very many people who actually read that whole arc. Although of the people I know and the ones I've seen commenting on it online who did read the whole thing most everyone seems to be a fairly dedicated fan. I've seen some really awesome cosplays of Loki and Leah too from fans, and I'd personally love to do Leah but I'd have to find someone to do Loki, haha.

[quote name='GhostShark']The book did have some rad covers, though.[/QUOTE]

The covers were really awesome, and all of the issues that Stephanie Hans illustrated and colored were gorgeous as well, I hope she gets to work on more Marvel stuff in the future.

[quote name='jza1218']You shouldn't have to read a miniseries to get the whole picture for another book. I just think the whole thing fell apart halfway through. And I like Morrison, his X-Men run is one of my favorite runs and I loved We3. But Final Crisis just didn't work.[/QUOTE]
I agree that you shouldn't have to read more than the main book, but that's kind of how things are in comics these days. If you get the trade it has Superman Beyond included so you get the whole story, at least.

[quote name='jza1218']Just wondering, does anyone buy the print versions of any of Marvel's Ultimate books and not use the digital codes?[/QUOTE]

I sell my codes for the books that I buy. You can check my trade list, I update it every week with the books that I picked up.

I just got back into comics and was wondering if there were any comics that you guys recommend? I picked up Iron Man #1 and know now to avoid it, so far I've picked up and have been enjoying the new Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and the Batman Death of the Family arc. I also picked up the new Young Avengers and Superior Spider-Man comics. I've never been a big fan of Daredevil but is the new one by Mark Waid any good?

Yes, the new Daredevil by Mark Waid is amazing. It pretty much did a clean sweep on every single Comic Book award last year. And if you like that, check out Waid on Indestructible Hulk.

Got the Ghost in the Shell graphic novel, and I remember reading the second edition as a kid. It's really funny that the second edition, which has that sex scene, is worth a lot more than the first edition. I don't think that measly two page spread is worth an extra $60 on Amazon, especially becuz of internetz. I still recommend getting the Dark Horse version, especially since Kondansha USA can't localize worth a fuck.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yes, the new Daredevil by Mark Waid is amazing. It pretty much did a clean sweep on every single Comic Book award last year. And if you like that, check out Waid on Indestructible Hulk.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to pick up the Daredevil and Indestructible Hulk back issues that my local comic shop has. I picked up issue #1 of the new Star Wars comic by Brian Wood and issue #1 of Deadpool Killustrated is there anything else I should look into?

I'm quite fond of Thor: God of Thunder, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Mara, Saga and Swamp Thing right now. I am actually surprised you managed to find a copy of Star Wars #1. That book sold out in the first week.

So the long awaited (or at least for me) issue of Scarlet #6 is coming out this week. I Want to be excited, but I'm afraid it'll be delayed and I won't have it...still.

X-Men Legacy is fucking fantastic. Marvel Now has added so many new titles to my pull list, it's ridiculous. I've fallen behind on everything but the Death of the Family arc on the DC front, but Marvel is definitely picking up the slack for me.

[quote name='GhostShark']I'm quite fond of Thor: God of Thunder, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Mara, Saga and Swamp Thing right now. I am actually surprised you managed to find a copy of Star Wars #1. That book sold out in the first week.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised my comc shop had it too since I read it went to a third printing already. I haven't had time to read it yet, but I got it because I'm a fan of Star Wars. Thanks for the reminder about Saga I knew I forgot to check for a comic but couldn't remember the name till now. I already have all the Hawkeye issues and I'll check out Thor when I go back this week.

Chris Pratt of Parks and Rec. and Zero Dark Thirty to play Starlord for Guardians of the Galaxy. I Am totally fine with this.

[quote name='moon_knight']I would've preferred shia labeouf or michael cera[/QUOTE]

God no. Lebeef is terrible, and Cera would not be right for the part. Pratt wasn't someone I thought of, but I like it.

I Can see Cera playing a young inexperienced Nova and nervously talking to Worldmind aloud from inside his head over him playing Starlord. LeBeouf though...yeah, he's awful. Everything I've seen him in just makes me want to shake my head and wonder what his appeal is.

[quote name='moon_knight']I would've preferred shia labeouf or michael cera[/QUOTE]

My sarcasm detector is working fine here.

I like Pratts character in Parks n' Rec. He'd have to trim down a bit but I'd be fine with him playing Star-Lord.

[quote name='Rodimus']My sarcasm detector is working fine here.

I like Pratts character in Parks n' Rec. He'd have to trim down a bit but I'd be fine with him playing Star-Lord.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he would have the time to slim down. I'm guessing filming will start on that mid-to-late 2013. Hopefully we get some more casting news concerning GOTG.

I like Pratts character in Parks n' Rec. He'd have to trim down a bit but I'd be fine with him playing Star-Lord.[/QUOTE]
His physique was pretty good in Zero Dark Thirty.

And for some reason I keep thinking Groot as voiced by Vin Diesel and did anyone hear the rumor that we maybe getting a Planet Hulk film for Phase 3?

He'll be just fine.

1355952493_chris-pratt-lg.jpg

Actually reading up on Chris Pratt, he's actually gained 60 pounds for a movie role after Zero Dark Thirty. In short, it'll be interesting to see his body change back and forth in Parks and Rec.

Pratt seems like a guy who would always be about 20 lbs overweight if he just lived his life normal. I'm sure he has to bust his ass to get in that shape in the picture up there.

Usually I hate Marvel announcing their crossovers before the crossover prior has begun, but I'm looking forward to Hickman writing the one after Ultron Unleashed. Especially with how things are shaping up after reading New Avengers, which the last page had a feel similar to another DC Crisis event.

Batman #16 is one of the best comic books I've read in a long long time.

Marvel NOW is pissing me off. It's all over the place. Fantastic Four is garbage, I'm dropping it. Someone let me know if it gets good.

So the incredibly awesome Dredd movie has made me want to read Dredd comics now.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to start?

[quote name='whoknows']So the incredibly awesome Dredd movie has made me want to read Dredd comics now.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to start?[/QUOTE]
I Remember the first Judge Dredd comic I read was the Judge Death arc and it wasn't a bad start off point. That was also the introduction of Anderson and had the movie not tanked, it basically would've been where the sequel would've gone for the films. If you enjoyed that, then go and read Judge Death Lives! which brought this amazing panel that I wish would've been replicated in the movies.

fear.jpg

Goddamn I wish that movie had made a ton more money...

Hickman is completely knocking it out of the park with both Avengers and New Avengers. Especially, New Avengers. He's working towards something huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='combatrhombus']I'm hoping Dredd has a big blue ray/dvd following similar to office space. I bought it just to support it, looking forward to watching it.[/QUOTE]

It has been huge so far on home viewing

[quote name='bardockkun']I Remember the first Judge Dredd comic I read was the Judge Death arc and it wasn't a bad start off point. That was also the introduction of Anderson and had the movie not tanked, it basically would've been where the sequel would've gone for the films. If you enjoyed that, then go and read Judge Death Lives! which brought this amazing panel that I wish would've been replicated in the movies.

fear.jpg

Goddamn I wish that movie had made a ton more money...[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll look for those.

And I agree. Saw it in theaters and thought it was incredibly awesome. Favorite comic movie of last year easy and possibly my favorite movie overall from 2012.

[quote name='whoknows']Thanks. I'll look for those.

And I agree. Saw it in theaters and thought it was incredibly awesome. Favorite comic movie of last year easy and possibly my favorite movie overall from 2012.[/QUOTE]
I Just hate how everyone compares it to The Raid just based on premise and totally agree on best comic movie of 2012. It was also without a doubt the best money I ever put down for 3D in a theater ever. Otherwise if you enjoyed those books just know Judge Dredd books are mostly just one main series minus a few mini series or one shots here and there so it's just one giant continuity and universe all it's own, which I find awesome since some of the characters age and develop as well. It also means that somehow the Batman and Alien crossovers tie into that world as well. Judge Death I think was the 5th or 6th story arc, while Judge Death Lives takes place after the last arc after Judge Death if I remember right.

[quote name='moon_knight']I finally picked up the first trade of Scott Snyder's Batman. Can't wait to see how overrated it is.[/QUOTE]
lRlsKPN.jpg

I Know some Scott Pilgrim/Bryan Lee O'Malley fans here, but he's doing a collaboration with Mondo to create a limited edition Battle Royale poster for Alamo screenings of the film. I Find it pretty awesome, especially in comparison to the film version of what Kitano drew.

Battle%20Royale_variant.jpg

bread's done
Back