Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='slowdive21']I should be at C2E2 and wizard world (CCC) this year. I am trying to get both conventions on the radio shop show again this year. I have to call them this week about C2E2 because the tickets are much cheaper when they get them. I'll post it in the Chicago thread if they are on the show. ( http://www.wrmn1410.com )

Yeah that would be cool to have a mini meetup. I think weaponx2099 and mrrosowo go too. I'm usually with my brother and my Dad, but they tend to need breaks anyway.[/QUOTE]

I went to C2E2 2 years ago, but I do wanna go this year.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I went to C2E2 2 years ago, but I do wanna go this year.[/QUOTE]

Update: C2E2 will be on the radio shop show. I think last year it was (2) 1 day passes for $40, but I don't remember. They will get them in March. I'll keep you guys posted.

Just finished Happy last night. I Liked it, I liked it alot. I Kinda feel Morrison writing mini-series (not gigantic cross overs) is where he shines and can condense a story without it going over my head. Also curious to see if the movie adaptation does get off the ground or not.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Tfaw or gmart is where I'd look. But if you're looking for pp 9 you won't find it at a comic store online already looked at the major ones. eBay is unfortunately the only way to go for that one.[/QUOTE]

People are big fans of Peter Panzerfaust?

Well, looks like every major media outlet has spoiled Batman. Thanks for releasing all this annoying ass PR and ruining it for all your customers, DC.

Are you referring to the Batman Inc spoilers? I'm extremely bitter about being spoiled as well as what was actually spoiled.

[quote name='Tsel']Are you referring to the Batman Inc spoilers? I'm extremely bitter about being spoiled as well as what was actually spoiled.[/QUOTE]
What spoilers for Batman Inc.?! I Was talking about for Arkham City! OH you sonuvabitch!

Though in all seriousness, yup, that. Would it literally kill the big two companies to really just let people read and find out and get the big information out a week later or so? I Think I'm more pissed about that more then what happens in the comic. Like now I want to pick it up, but Jesus I hate tactics like this where they gotta hype something big and spoil it before it even happens.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember Marvel ever spoilering a death days in advance of release, though you can see the deaths coming a mile away. This new "death" from DC doesn't really bother me since I have never read Batman Inc.

Last night one of the news anchors I work with just blurted it out. "Hey did you hear they killed *****"

I hadn't read the issue yet. I looked at him for a second and kinda exploded. It was all in good fun but I could tell he felt really bad. Then we got into a discussion about comic book deaths and how no one actually stays dead anyways. It probably would've been spoiled sooner or later anyways.

[quote name='GhostShark']Off the top of my head, I can't remember Marvel ever spoilering a death days in advance of release, though you can see the deaths coming a mile away. This new "death" from DC doesn't really bother me since I have never read Batman Inc.[/QUOTE]
Captain America? Hell, that was maybe spoiled a month before the book actually came out just so they could sell a ri-goddamn-diculous amount of issues since everyone bought it figuring it'd be an instant collector's item.

While this death is a pretty big deal to me because I love him and Batman Inc. is the shit, you had to know it was coming. In the issues that take place in the future he mentions being killed before and being brought back to life through his deal with a Demon (I'm sure you all know who that alludes to), so he'll be back before you know it. He has too much of a fan following to stay dead for long.

I don't remember Cap's death being spoiled a month before it happened, maybe a week or two, and it wasn't plastered all over Marvel's site or any other credible internet medium. I also tend to see this happening a lot more in the future. It used to be that only a death was announced, not who died (Avengers vs X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc), but now they are actually spoiling deaths to sell books. It's smart from a business standpoint, but rather poor because it rips all tension away from the narrative.

Maybe if this was happening in Snyder's Batman, I would care more sine that's the only Batman that matters. Speaking of which, I'm curious as to where Snyder is going after Death of the Family. More Harper Row, please.

[quote name='GhostShark']I don't remember Cap's death being spoiled a month before it happened, maybe a week or two, and it wasn't plastered all over Marvel's site or any other credible internet medium. I also tend to see this happening a lot more in the future. It used to be that only a death was announced, not who died (Avengers vs X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc), but now they are actually spoiling deaths to sell books. It's smart from a business standpoint, but rather poor because it rips all tension away from the narrative.

Maybe if this was happening in Snyder's Batman, I would care more sine that's the only Batman that matters. Speaking of which, I'm curious as to where Snyder is going after Death of the Family. More Harper Row, please.[/QUOTE]

Riddler is the next big arc and it's supposed to be longer than DOTF

Morrison has said this Batman Inc. event is permanent so take that for what you will. I Also remember DC hyping weeks in advance over one of one of their "important" characters being gay and the week before the event everyone leaked it and it was so pointless and raises more questions then anything else that it made me think the idea for the "event" came first and the ramifications later.
[quote name='Javery']I'm really enjoying Batman (New 52) right now.[/QUOTE]
As am I. It really does a great job in making all the villains seem like massive threats in that world.
[quote name='GhostShark']

Maybe if this was happening in Snyder's Batman, I would care more sine that's the only Batman that matters. Speaking of which, I'm curious as to where Snyder is going after Death of the Family. More Harper Row, please.[/QUOTE]
Harper Row is suppose to play a big part in this new arc. I Keep wanting to think she's going to be the new Oracle, but we'll see.

[quote name='GhostShark']I don't remember Cap's death being spoiled a month before it happened, maybe a week or two, and it wasn't plastered all over Marvel's site or any other credible internet medium. I also tend to see this happening a lot more in the future. It used to be that only a death was announced, not who died (Avengers vs X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc), but now they are actually spoiling deaths to sell books. It's smart from a business standpoint, but rather poor because it rips all tension away from the narrative.

Pretty much all of the comic book-related news sites covered Cap's death and it was all over pretty much every National News Channel. I know I couldn't turn on CNN without either seeing it scroll across the bottom or seeing their interview with Joey Q about it. I do agree with you about hating seeing it spoiled, though... There's no real surprise about anything anymore. I think the last good surprise was Superior Spidey.

And Snyder's Batman being the only one that matters? For shame! They all matter (except Dark Knight or Teen Titans).

[quote name='DestroVega']Riddler is the next big arc and it's supposed to be longer than DOTF[/QUOTE]
I can't fucking wait for that. Hopefully they'll stick with him being as awesome as he was in Hush/Gotham City Sirens.

[quote name='bardockkun']Morrison has said this Batman Inc. event is permanent so take that for what you will. I Also remember DC hyping weeks in advance over one of one of their "important" characters being gay and the week before the event everyone leaked it and it was so pointless and raises more questions then anything else that it made me think the idea for the "event" came first and the ramifications later.

As am I. It really does a great job in making all the villains seem like massive threats in that world.

Harper Row is suppose to play a big part in this new arc. I Keep wanting to think she's going to be the new Oracle, but we'll see.[/QUOTE]
If this actually ends up being a permanent event I'll be surprised. Morrison almost always pays off on his future-y stuff and if he doesn't bring him back to life I'll be pretty disappointed in him for once.

And oh man, I totally forgot about the gay character thing! That was lame. Then again, so was the whole Northstar getting married thing. One of the worst issues of anything I read last year. I totes agree about Harper likely being the new Oracle too. Seems like a perfect candidate for it.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
If this actually ends up being a permanent event I'll be surprised. Morrison almost always pays off on his future-y stuff and if he doesn't bring him back to life I'll be pretty disappointed in him for once.[/QUOTE]
First, thank you for bringing up Gotham City Sirens. Second is as much as a rollercoaster of a relationship I have with Morrison's writing and as much as I enjoy the character he's created, I would be both upset and applaud him if he kept it permanent. I Wouldn't put it past him if this was part of his end game all along since I know the story was years in the making (despite many confusing points, MANY) and he did it all just to establish consequences for Batman's long ass epic that seems all connected from past-present-future. So I kinda do see where he's going with this in a way for once if it stays.

And you bought Astonishing X-Men wedding issue? Oh you poor, sick man...

[quote name='bardockkun']First, thank you for bringing up Gotham City Sirens. Second is as much as a rollercoaster of a relationship I have with Morrison's writing and as much as I enjoy the character he's created, I would be both upset and applaud him if he kept it permanent. I Wouldn't put it past him if this was part of his end game all along since I know the story was years in the making (despite many confusing points, MANY) and he did it all just to establish consequences for Batman's long ass epic that seems all connected from past-present-future. So I kinda do see where he's going with this in a way for once if it stays.

And you bought Astonishing X-Men wedding issue? Oh you poor, sick man...[/QUOTE]
Exactly! I haven't ever been too upset about anything he has done or been too terribly confused by stuff, but I must agree with you on seeing where it could go. I just can't wait to see where it actually goes. Morrison tends to Zig when I think he's going to Zag (I still wish Superman was Wingman).

I read it online at first, but my stupid OCD about collecting all of the Astonishing books made it a must buy. Been thinking for a while about just getting rid of all of my Astonishing collection after Ellis' run.

I Got to admit, this does make me want to pick up Batman Inc. now and the one or two issues I've missed now. Damn you Morrison! Playing on my emotions both in comic and out! Though the otherside of me still doesn't want to encourage these sales tactics that ruin stories for sales. Ugh, moral decisions with comic books.

Oh and speaking of DC hyping something up before a comic is released, the stupid Superman and Wonder Woman being a couple. I Think this is the most memorable thing in Geoff Johns' Justice League run has established and that's pretty sad.

I also was a little pissed off that I found out about it. It was linked all over the place so there was almost no way to avoid it.

I think it is funny everyone just finished reading a deathless Death of the Family and then a death happens in Batman Inc.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I also was a little pissed off that I found out about it. It was linked all over the place so there was almost no way to avoid it.

I think it is funny everyone just finished reading a deathless Death of the Family and then a death happens in Batman Inc.[/QUOTE]

If you strictly look at it literal.

[quote name='DestroVega']If you strictly look at it literal.[/QUOTE]

I imagine they will be a big happy family again in the long run (minus one). If anything it looks like Jason Todd has been getting closer and closer to the Bat family for a while now.

Well, asked my friend if he picked up Batman Inc. and he said no and he then asked why and well...now he's in shock and disbelief and is debating on dropping all the Bat books now.

He took it...pretty good.

In a week with a relatively big death, Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1 (stupid numbering) and Hawkeye steal the show. Seriously, I had my doubts about Bendis on GOTG, but not anymore. McNiven's pencils and his ability to show perfect emotion is just fucking fantastic.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Got to admit, this does make me want to pick up Batman Inc. now and the one or two issues I've missed now. Damn you Morrison! Playing on my emotions both in comic and out! Though the otherside of me still doesn't want to encourage these sales tactics that ruin stories for sales. Ugh, moral decisions with comic books.

Oh and speaking of DC hyping something up before a comic is released, the stupid Superman and Wonder Woman being a couple. I Think this is the most memorable thing in Geoff Johns' Justice League run has established and that's pretty sad.[/QUOTE]
For me the most memorable thing in Johns' run has been that Darkseid had the most mediocre arc of the series.

[quote name='GhostShark']In a week with a relatively big death, Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1 (stupid numbering) and Hawkeye steal the show. Seriously, I had my doubts about Bendis on GOTG, but not anymore. McNiven's pencils and his ability to show perfect emotion is just fucking fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Wondering if I should read GOTG. Ill probably see the movie, and I know nothing about the property at all.

This is a good jumping on point. Bendis basically told the previously confusing origin of Peter Quill in a more simpler and unique fashion. Also, Rocket Raccoon.

[quote name='GhostShark']This is a good jumping on point. Bendis basically told the previously confusing origin of Peter Quill in a more simpler and unique fashion. Also, Rocket Raccoon.[/QUOTE]

That's mostly why I'm reading it, and I think Gamora looks cool, even though I know almost nothing about her other than what I read on wikipedia, haha (but being the adopted daughter of Thanos probably means she's bad ass, well assuming she doesn't suffer from his character flaw of being in a position where he should be almost guaranteed to win but somehow manages to lose, every time, haha). Groot seems interesting too.

If you like Rocket Raccoon and Gamora, you should read Nova #1, if you haven't already. It's a little cliche, but it's something actually good from Loeb. Plus the Skottie Young variant for it is amazing.

[quote name='GhostShark']If you like Rocket Raccoon and Gamora, you should read Nova #1, if you haven't already. It's a little cliche, but it's something actually good from Loeb. Plus the Skottie Young variant for it is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, maybe, haha. I haven't read it but that comic really turned me off before it even came out. I wasn't impressed by the preview of it, I'm not really into the art, and the small amount of stuff I've read by Loeb of his recent work hasn't been very good (the only older thing I've read by him was Batman: The Long Halloween and that was actually really good). I'm also trying to narrow down some of the titles I'm reading to get rid of some of the series which I'm not feeling as much, so I was mostly hoping I'd get enough story about those two by just reading Guardians of the Galaxy, we'll see though, maybe I'll at least give the first issue a try.

Speaking of narrowing down titles, I am done with Uncanny Avengers. I appreciate the Red Skull and what they're trying to do with him, but it is just falling flat right now. Young Avengers may be going down that route, but I will give it at least 2 more issures before final judgement there. Everything else that is new that came out of Marvel NOW (Avengers, New Avengers, FF, Fantastic Four, Journey Into Mystery, Hulk, Thor, and Nova) have been decent or amazing, and I hope that continues.

I'm now just eagerly awaiting the Thanos series, GotG and Brian Wood's X-Men.

I need to drop some books because I'm reading a bit too much at the moment. It's getting a tad overwhelming. As of now, I'm reading:

Animal Man
Aquaman
Batman
Batman - The Dark Knight
Batman Inc
Batman and Robin
Batgirl
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Justice League
Nightwing

Avengers
Captain America
Daredevil
Deadpool
Fantastic Four
FF
Indestructible Hulk
Iron Man
New Avengers
Superior Spider-Man
Thor God of Thunder
Thunderbolts
Uncanny Avengers
X-Men Legacy

Walking Dead

I'm enjoying the majority of them, but it's hard to keep up with. I actually just started reading Green Arrow and Aquaman this past week and I've already marathoned through all of the issues so I'm all caught up there. All of the other books, I don't get more than a couple issues behind.

[quote name='Tsel']I need to drop some books because I'm reading a bit too much at the moment. It's getting a tad overwhelming. As of now, I'm reading:

Animal Man
Aquaman
Batman
Batman Inc
Batman and Robin
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Justice League

Avengers
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
FF
Indestructible Hulk
New Avengers
Superior Spider-Man
Thor God of Thunder
Thunderbolts
Uncanny Avengers
X-Men Legacy

Walking Dead

I'm enjoying the majority of them, but it's hard to keep up with. I actually just started reading Green Arrow and Aquaman this past week and I've already marathoned through all of the issues so I'm all caught up there. All of the other books, I don't get more than a couple issues behind.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if you were asking for opinions, but that's the stuff I'd keep. Green Lantern isn't as great without the companion books of GLC and New Guardians, so it'd probably be easier to just drop it and pick it up in trade. Batgirl is good, but is getting kind of slow, so you'd probably be better off dropping that for a while.

If you wanted to you could also probably drop the Walking Dead since the trades for that come out crazy fast.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I'm not sure if you were asking for opinions, but that's the stuff I'd keep. Green Lantern isn't as great without the companion books of GLC and New Guardians, so it'd probably be easier to just drop it and pick it up in trade. Batgirl is good, but is getting kind of slow, so you'd probably be better off dropping that for a while.

If you wanted to you could also probably drop the Walking Dead since the trades for that come out crazy fast.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't specifically asking for opinions, but they're completely welcome. Green Lantern is one of my favorite characters, but the book isn't living up to my expectations. I haven't started GLC yet, but I'm going to soon. I was reading New Guardians but I fell way behind on it. I wanna catch up on those so I can read Rise of the Third Army without being confused.

I'm only reading Dark Knight for the sake of it being Batman. Nightwing should be better than it is, but I still enjoy it for the most part. Same with Batgirl.

Deadpool is surely on the chopping block. Yeah, it's fun, zombies, sharks, dead presidents, and whatever else, but that's just not what I'm looking for in a comic these days.

Walking Dead I tend to fall behind on and then do a 3-4 issue marathon to catch up.

[quote name='Tsel']Walking Dead I tend to fall behind on and then do a 3-4 issue marathon to catch up.[/QUOTE]

This is probably the best way to read it, or in trades. I'm just so impatient I can't wait.

[quote name='Tsel']I need to drop some books because I'm reading a bit too much at the moment. It's getting a tad overwhelming. As of now, I'm reading:

Animal Man
Aquaman
Batman
Batman - The Dark Knight
Batman Inc
Batman and Robin
Batgirl
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Justice League
Nightwing

Avengers
Captain America
Daredevil
Deadpool
Fantastic Four
FF
Indestructible Hulk
Iron Man
New Avengers
Superior Spider-Man
Thor God of Thunder
Thunderbolts
Uncanny Avengers
X-Men Legacy

Walking Dead

I'm enjoying the majority of them, but it's hard to keep up with. I actually just started reading Green Arrow and Aquaman this past week and I've already marathoned through all of the issues so I'm all caught up there. All of the other books, I don't get more than a couple issues behind.[/QUOTE]

I cant add much as im several months behind, but i know i always found Geoff Johns stories to be better in collected fotrmats, so u may trade wait with those. Then who knows what happens to Batman Inc when Grant leaves this year, so that may come off regardless.

I have no idea how someone can read Animal Thing without reading Swamp Thing. Rotworld and the buildup must be so weird if you're only reading one of the books.

[quote name='GhostShark']I have no idea how someone can read Animal Thing without reading Swamp Thing. Rotworld and the buildup must be so weird if you're only reading one of the books.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Even before Rotworld I considered them companion books. Now that Snyder has wrapped Swamp Thing, I might stop reading Animal Man too.

I'm considering dropping Swamp Thing since I hear Animal Man is supposed to be doing his own thing now. I at least want to give the new writer a chance first, though, but he is fighting an uphill battle.

I've never really read comics or gotten into them, but I recently just read through the Walking Dead trade paperbacks #1-17 (I think thats all the tp's that have been released from what I read) and holy shit. They are much better than the show obviously, and are really really good, but sometimes I cant believe what I am reading
(I actually felt sick when they killed Glenn in the 17th book)
. Really though I cant wait to read the 18th book (in June I think), and I just started reading the Watchmen, which seems pretty good so far. I also have Sin City and Fables, but looking for other suggestions if people have them

What are some other comics/ graphic novels anyone would recommend? I'm not really big on superheroes so much but I can get into them from time to time, it seems like some of the Batman stories are really good

[quote name='MrshllJcb']I've never really read comics or gotten into them, but I recently just read through the Walking Dead trade paperbacks #1-17 (I think thats all the tp's that have been released from what I read) and holy shit. They are much better than the show obviously, and are really really good, but sometimes I cant believe what I am reading
(I actually felt sick when they killed Glenn in the 17th book)
. Really though I cant wait to read the 18th book (in June I think), and I just started reading the Watchmen, which seems pretty good so far. I also have Sin City and Fables, but looking for other suggestions if people have them

What are some other comics/ graphic novels anyone would recommend? I'm not really big on superheroes so much but I can get into them from time to time, it seems like some of the Batman stories are really good[/QUOTE]

Preacher and Y the Last Man are two of my favs.

If you're strictly looking for non-superhero novels, than I'd look for anything by Brian K. Vaughan (Y The Last Man, Ex Machina, Saga, etc), Brian Wood (DMZ, most notably) and The Luna Brothers (Girls and The Sword).

I have to second the DMZ recommendation. Also some non superhero books to check out: The Losers, Chew, Locke & Key, The Activity.

[quote name='GhostShark']I have no idea how someone can read Animal Thing without reading Swamp Thing. Rotworld and the buildup must be so weird if you're only reading one of the books.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DestroVega']I agree. Even before Rotworld I considered them companion books. Now that Snyder has wrapped Swamp Thing, I might stop reading Animal Man too.[/QUOTE]

I read both during Rotworld, but I haven't kept up with Swamp Thing as regularly as the others.

bread's done
Back