Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

im enjoying the superman story theyve got going with him walking across the country. its a cool concept something i dont think ive ever seen done before and i like the diff responses he gets from meeting people. you dont think about how bigger than life he is when hes with other heroes but among regular people it puts his fame into perspective and its cool to see how humble he is about it all.

Picked up the first 12 issues of Chew. I like it so far and think I'll put it on my pull list. I need more non-cape & tights comics anyways.

Read the first issue of DC Vertigo's Beware of the Creeper. I have to say that it went nowhere and didn't make me want to read the others at all. That is with me being able to get them for twenty cents.

[quote name='Rodimus']Picked up the first 12 issues of Chew. I like it so far and think I'll put it on my pull list. I need more non-cape & tights comics anyways.[/QUOTE]

The Walking Dead, DMZ, Fables, Highwaymen and Unknown Soldier if you haven't read those already. Did you get the Omnivore edition of Chew?

Fables is on my pull list and I plan on getting the Walking Dead Compendium soon. I need to catch up with the story before I start getting the comics monthly. I got the single issues of Chew. My local store had the bundle for $40. Kinda expensive and more of an impulse buy, but I'm glad I got them.

How many issues is DMZ at?

Read Incredible Hulk #611. Really good issue, almost brought a tear to my eye at the end. Can't wait to see the next issue which should be the end of World War Hulk. Curious where they are going to take Banner after that storyline.

Ultimate Avengers 3 #1 was meh. They got rid of Leinel Yu and brought in Steve Dillan in, which i am not a fan of his art. Miller is still writing so i may stick around since he is writing. Don't feel to pumped over another vampire story though. :(

XForce Sex & Violence #2 was actually pretty good. I was hesitant to keep buying them but i am glad i did. Really violent, and sexual. Which is odd to see i guess.

Thought it was funny that they're naming Xforce, Uncanny XForce!!

Is Ultimate Avengers 3 Millar & Dillan's first work together? I always though they'd make a good pair. They both have a nack for violence. I wasn't a Dillan fan until I read Preacher. Also liked his Punisher stuff too.

[quote name='Rodimus']Is Ultimate Avengers 3 Millar & Dillan's first work together? I always though they'd make a good pair. They both have a nack for violence. I wasn't a Dillan fan until I read Preacher. Also liked his Punisher stuff too.[/QUOTE]

I guess it is. I only liked Dillan when he did Preacher. His style just doesn't set well with me. But I'll buying and see where the story takes me. It's not like the artist or the writer sucks, i just don't like the style.

ive read throgh the ultimates series this past week and man that was he wildest shit ever. i thought ultimate spiderman was amazing bt that series was a mind blower especially with how the depicted everyone and oddly enough it made sense.

Don't read Ultimate Avengers series 3. Millar shoehorned Blade in just to make it a vampire story and Steve Dillon's art has no business anywhere near an Ultimate book. It's awful.

I like Steve Dillon's art and I think the story has potential. I just know its going to escalate to everyone becoming a vampire. I did enjoy the issue though.

Also, for Rodimus, I think DMZ is at 56 or 57 issues. Around there.

[quote name='neocisco']Don't read Ultimate Avengers series 3. Millar shoehorned Blade in just to make it a vampire story and Steve Dillon's art has no business anywhere near an Ultimate book. It's awful.[/QUOTE]

I agree on the art factor for Ultimate titles.

When i think of a Ultimate title, i think of art that exaggerated or heavy stylized.

Dillon's art wasn't that.

Thanks for clarifying that. Dillon's art works on certain titles but Ultimate books aren't for him. As for the writing, the current series of Ultimate Avengers books just seem really rushed, like a thin story is getting stretched over 6 issues for the express purpose of being collected in a trade. Oh wait, that IS what they're doing.

[quote name='neocisco']Thanks for clarifying that. Dillon's art works on certain titles but Ultimate books aren't for him. As for the writing, the current series of Ultimate Avengers books just seem really rushed, like a thin story is getting stretched over 6 issues for the express purpose of being collected in a trade. Oh wait, that IS what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I totally forgot about the beginning where hawkeye or someone asks why the daytime avengerz can't handle the problem, fury says there off somewhere else.

Then at the end cap shows up ready to lead the back ops team. Wut da f.

We need more ulitmate hulk.

is there still something going on w spiderman and ms marvel? i remember when she got possessed by venom something was said about how deep her feelings were for him or something and then nothing. he starts macking on the csi chick and black cat and i think that blonde chick from the paper wants him too but there was never any other mention of their budding relationship.

Anybody else excited about the final issue of Ex Machina this week? I've been collecting the deluxe edition hardcovers and put this series right up there next to Y The Last Man. The art is just incredible.

[quote name='sotc1988']Anybody else excited about the final issue of Ex Machina this week? I've been collecting the deluxe edition hardcovers and put this series right up there next to Y The Last Man. The art is just incredible.[/QUOTE]

I've got the first paperback (The first hundred days) and I thought it was just ok, but it is BKV and I love me some BKV. I may wait till they release an omnibus that collects the whole series.

Speaking of omnibuses and deluxe editons, I'm thinking of picking up the Y the Last Man ones even though I've got most of the single issues.

[quote name='lokizz']is there still something going on w spiderman and ms marvel? i remember when she got possessed by venom something was said about how deep her feelings were for him or something and then nothing. he starts macking on the csi chick and black cat and i think that blonde chick from the paper wants him too but there was never any other mention of their budding relationship.[/QUOTE]

As far as I've read that Dark Reign one-shot is the most up-to-date mention. They had a Ms Marvel issue several months back where Spidey and Marvel actually went on a date, however I never read it. Personally I think it's an interesting topic which writers should play around with a little bit more. He's had a couple playful conversions with Spider-Woman as well. IMO Spidey is better written as a single dude. Sorry MJ, but you just drag Web-head down.

[quote name='Rodimus']As far as I've read that Dark Reign one-shot is the most up-to-date mention. They had a Ms Marvel issue several months back where Spidey and Marvel actually went on a date, however I never read it. Personally I think it's an interesting topic which writers should play around with a little bit more. He's had a couple playful conversions with Spider-Woman as well. IMO Spidey is better written as a single dude. Sorry MJ, but you just drag Web-head down.[/QUOTE]

i can see that but it would be cool to see him dating a super chick. that way hed be with someone who would know who he really is and understand what its like to have to live 2 seprate lives. on top of that he wouldnt have to be as worried for their safety as he does with normal chicks.

speaking of which i wonder if luke cages kid will end up with any powers since i dont think either him or his wife were born with powers.

[quote name='lokizz']speaking of which i wonder if luke cages kid will end up with any powers since i dont think either him or his wife were born with powers.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's much of a factor. The FF weren't born with powers but one of their kids is a 4-year old super-genius and the other can create pocket universes.

Speaking of Fantastic Four, Franklin Richards is the best part about Hickman's run so far on Fantastic Four. I hope it never ends.

Also, I can't wait for Hickman's Ultimate Thor.

Anyone read Blackest Night, yet? I'm still making my way through older Green Lantern TPBs and I'm loving them. Just wondering how Blackest Night is compared to something like Rebirth or No Fear. Wanted, Hal Jordan and Sinestro Corps Wars Vol. 1 are currently on the way from Amazon. Can't wait :).

[quote name='GhostShark']Speaking of Fantastic Four, Franklin Richards is the best part about Hickman's run so far on Fantastic Four. I hope it never ends.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's about time they did something meaningful with the FF kids. They have been sitting in the background for the last several years without any development. Hickman is doing what Millar should have.

My only problem is that the FF deals with time travel and alternate futures so much that it will ultimately make the arc inconsequential. I've been exposed to about 20 different alternate Marvels futures in the last 5 years.

if you all read any comic this week make sure its the newest thunderbolts. easily one of my all time favorite comics now lol. sealed luke cages rep and us agents rep as ultimate badasses.

I did like the issue of Thunderbolts, but -- like I said in my review in my blog -- the pacing is too inconsistent with Avengers Academy. Not a bad issue, though.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Anyone read Blackest Night, yet? I'm still making my way through older Green Lantern TPBs and I'm loving them. Just wondering how Blackest Night is compared to something like Rebirth or No Fear. Wanted, Hal Jordan and Sinestro Corps Wars Vol. 1 are currently on the way from Amazon. Can't wait :).[/QUOTE]

Hi, welcome to some of the greatest comic book stories you will ever read.

Everything from Rebirth till the end of Sinestro Corp war is amazing. Pure adrenaline "fuck yeah!" green lantern moments.

As far as Blackest Night goes, I loved it at the beginning but then it copped out with the deaths and rebirths. I've read comics for quite a while so for someone like me, the whole death and rebirth thing needs to be toned down a bit. Skip it if you're tired of heroes dying and coming back, read it if you're into that kind of stuff.

After that, if you like Batman at all, jump into Grant Morrison Batman from the beginning all the way till the end of Final Crisis. Don't bother with Batman and Robin.

52 is a must read. Geoff Johns Booster Gold run is also amazing.

It's really a shame about the death and rebirth condition of comic book characters, cause I've stopped reading comics all together because of this.

Don't bother with Morrison's Batman and Robin? That series has been fucking great since the get go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished Batman: Dark Victory, thought it was pretty awesome. Really enjoyed all three of the Jeph Loeb Batman TPB's: The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Hush.

Can anyone recommend some other Batman TPB's similar? I've also already read year one, dark knight returns the war games series, and the killing joke. Still need to pick up the dark knight strikes again.

Dark Knight Strikes Again is worth one read, but it is so bad. It's like Frank Miller forgot he was writing Batman.

I'd recommend the Batman and Robin series by Grant Morrison (which is still going). Batman: Arkham Asylum is pretty good too and also by Grant Morrison. Also, Batman Year One Hundred.

I've read the first issue of Batman & Robin and enjoyed it, but my main concern going into it is the fact that I'm not caught up at all with recent affairs surrounding batman and bruce wayne... I don't know how much that would affect that series for me. What would be the best starting point to get caught up with the on-going publications?

I've always been a big batman fan, but I hadn't started seriously getting into comics [broadly] until about a year and a half ago - and I'd like to add a few batman series to my pull list other than the kevin smith series.

Edit: forgot, thanks for the heads up on year one hundred

Not sure why I left it out, but I already own Arkham Asylum- which I enjoyed. As nice as Mckean's artwork was I found it distracting at times- I need to go through it again.

I actually really like the dynamics in the Bat family with Bruce gone. Everyone's grow together like brothers coming back after a feud, even Batgirl has been a fun read. I've even learned to like Damien. I hope they don't destroy this harmony once Bruce is back.

Rayeh, I don't believe in starting points. I've always just jumped into a series whenever it sounded interesting. It's how I started reading comics, I just jumped into Uncanny X-Men around 253 after seeing the Pride of the X-Men cartoon. It took a little getting used to, but in a time were there was few trades to fill in on back story, you learned to make it work. If you're at all interested in a different series, just jump in and give it 3-4 issues, I believe this is the best way to get a feel for it.

[quote name='SithFran']
Rayeh, I don't believe in starting points. I've always just jumped into a series whenever it sounded interesting. It's how I started reading comics, I just jumped into Uncanny X-Men around 253 after seeing the Pride of the X-Men cartoon. It took a little getting used to, but in a time were there was few trades to fill in on back story, you learned to make it work. If you're at all interested in a different series, just jump in and give it 3-4 issues, I believe this is the best way to get a feel for it.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've jumped in and out of a few of the bat series recently for small arcs- and I fully intend to read Batman & Robin. It's just that I am very interested in also reading the backstory leading up to, during, and after the departure of Bruce Wayne. I didn't have the fortune of reading it as it was being published and I'm just at a loss as to which TPB's those would be to have a well rounded experience :whistle2:? It also doesn't help that I've been trying to intentionally keep myself in the dark about the events until I've had the chance to read them.

heres a question who is really the first ever mutant? i was always under the impression apocalypse was but now they have a comic cming out with namor calling him the first mutant.

Namor technically is since Apocalypse is a time-traveller and it is impossible for to determine his birth. Plus, Namor is awesome.

Also, X-Factor is the best X-Men book out now. It's not even close, either.

[quote name='GhostShark']Namor technically is since Apocalypse is a time-traveller and it is impossible for to determine his birth. Plus, Namor is awesome.

Also, X-Factor is the best X-Men book out now. It's not even close, either.[/QUOTE]

YEa i was wondering that myself.

I figured it was Namor though. But i was wondering why they were making it a big deal to label Namor as the first mutant right now.

Never heard Marvel refer to him as the first one until now, or at least never seen Marvel market it as much as they are now.

X-Factor is either really good or really bad. Right now it's defiantly good. The book sucks when it's forced to do crossover stuff.

The first mutant is debatable. Marvel claims it to be Namor but Apocalypse & Selene have been around since ancient times. Even Wolverine could be older than him. I think Namor is considered the first mutant purely because he's the first we've seen as readers. Much like Jim Hammond (the original Human Torch) is considered the first "Marvel" even though super-heroes existed before him in the universe.

Marvel has referenced Namor as being the first mutant, but I see him more as a hybrid. Half human/ half Atlantian. Technically speaking his cells are mutated, but not a random occurrence like most mutants. I don't see where Marvel is taking this either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I agree about X-Factor. I didn't really dig the Civil War and Secret Invasion stuff they did. It was pretty bland, but it has Layla Miller so I'll always be a fan.

Having two Jonathan Hickman books this week is such a great week for comic-fans. He, IMO, is the best writer at the moment. Both Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four had great issues this week and both also have great futures coming up.

[quote name='GhostShark']Namor technically is since Apocalypse is a time-traveller and it is impossible for to determine his birth. Plus, Namor is awesome.

Also, X-Factor is the best X-Men book out now. It's not even close, either.[/QUOTE]

i thought apoc was born during the reign of the pharohs or at least thats what they said in that mini series they did on him back in the day. but then the qestion i guess is which empire is older?

[quote name='lokizz']i thought apoc was born during the reign of the pharohs or at least thats what they said in that mini series they did on him back in the day. but then the qestion i guess is which empire is older?[/QUOTE]

Yea, he was born in the era of pharaohs.

I just think Marvel is Hyping Namor up with this statement for whatever upcoming event that will involve him.

Maybe they will reveal something about his true origins, which i don't think were explored to much. Especially since i never considered him a mutant in the first place.

Maybe he'll get turned into a vampire. :p

[quote name='lokizz']him suddenly being classified as a mutant did seem weird btw does anyone know what his mutant power is?[/QUOTE]

I always thought his mutant ability was "hitting on hot chicks with boyfriends".

WTF on Avengers #4.

I hate endings like that, or i should say i hate continuations like that.

And i think Astonishing Xmen has gone down the drain. Hopefully they get new artist and writer for the next arc.

Yeah, Astonishing X-Men has been pretty bad since Whedon and Cassady left the book.

As for Avengers #4, I loved it. It did what the previous two issued had yet to do: progress the story dynamically.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, Astonishing X-Men has been pretty bad since Whedon and Cassady left the book.

As for Avengers #4, I loved it. It did what the previous two issued had yet to do: progress the story dynamically.[/QUOTE]

Eh don't get me wrong i loved the issue, it's building up nicely.

But why leave me hanging like that!!!

FUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuu

i cant wait for the new xforce to start theres no way that wont be an amazing comic. heres to hoping its gritty and gory. btw wtf is up with wolverine? one minute theyre saying hes a new man and wants to date this chick even goes to the extreme of telling many of the women in his life then nothing and then suddenly hes
banging domino
and now in the recent dark wolverine
hes with her again
????wtf is it are they dating or not?

I've been enjoying Avengers too. I just hope Bendis knows where he's going with this. So many plot twists are being thrown in and I'm getting worried it will end a jumbled mess.

bread's done
Back