Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Yeah, the direct subscription from DC is exactly what was stated before, 3 weeks after release but not in a horrible mangled condition. If you're a collector and need everything mint then stay away. If you just want to read stories cheaply and don't care about mint condition then go this route. I've been doing it for the past two years. I've stopped with the relaunch because I may go the digital route after one month for $1.99/issue. If not I'll be going to trades.

[quote name='Gamehead']Has anyone been using Marvel or DC's subscription services? i just picked a lot of books off both of them because of how cheap they were. And DC is offering a Buy 4 get 1 free deal.

Any issues I should know about that?[/QUOTE]

I've used both and you can see the DC opinion up top. Marvel arrives in the same condition but usually within a week of hitting shelves so you don't have to wait as long. There have been a couple of cancelations for what they've offered in the past two years like New Mutants, which is still ongoing, not being offered by mail. They'll just fold the remaining issues of your subscription into something else automatically and you have the option of changing it towards a different title. The only issues I've had with that is that some lazy ass doesn't look up your account number and just creates a new account for a title you're already subscribed to so I've had two of the same issues of Avengers coming each month until they corrected the issue. Happened twice.

Outside of that, the rates were better than DC and when it's time to renew they've usually offered even lower rates. Renewals can also be done for 2 years instead of 1.

Again, as with the DC post above, if you are a collector and want mint copies then go to a store or order from a place like DCBS. If you just want to enjoy comics cheaply and a reader copy is fine, this is your best bet legally.

Finally read Ultimate Doomsday Trilogy and I must say I didn't like how it all turned out in the end. I hope everything is touched again at a later point so I can rage about it.

Daredevil is really, really good. I know nothing about the character and after the first issue I'm totally down to put this on my pull list.

Punisher was enjoyable, I read the first three issues, just not my thing... I'm gonna pass for now. Captain America was also very enjoyable, but I didn't really get into the character, TBH, and I have like 23 books on my pull list. I'm gonna pass on him too.

Did anyone read Batman TDK or Superman last week? I can't even. TDK was like a sick joke it was so bad, and Superman bored me to tears. I took them both off of my list, especially because Action, Detective and Batman are all really, really good.

Also, Aquaman is a fucking badass and I can't wait for the next issue. Flash is fun, and All-Star Western is really fantastic, I'm hooked on that too.

If anyone hasn't tried Severed and likes horror, you're missing out. Scott Snyder is the man. Near Death is another new Image comic that really got me hooked, it's like a strange crime/hitman story so far.

I liked Captain, I just don't have the money for it right now, honestly. I need to cut back on my list and I'm not really captivated by his character so it's a shame I can't follow the monthlies, but I definitely enjoyed it.

[quote name='Rocko']Did anyone read Batman TDK or Superman last week? I can't even. TDK was like a sick joke it was so bad, and Superman bored me to tears. I took them both off of my list, especially because Action, Detective and Batman are all really, really good.

Also, Aquaman is a fucking badass and I can't wait for the next issue. Flash is fun, and All-Star Western is really fantastic, I'm hooked on that too.

If anyone hasn't tried Severed and likes horror, you're missing out. Scott Snyder is the man. Near Death is another new Image comic that really got me hooked, it's like a strange crime/hitman story so far.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all accounts. TDK was probably the most disappointing thing I picked up while Aquaman was surprisingly good, although I think they delved too deep into the 'he's a joke' joke.

I still need to read Daredevil and The Cap.

I bought Dark Knight, haven't read it yet but I think I'll stop buying it anyway based off word of mouth and reviews.

I got into quite a bit of titles and I need to trim down on them anyways.

So here's what I'm now buying: TMNT, Detective, Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Ghostbusters.

I think that's good to roll with, I don't wanna get too crazy with the titles.

But I am very interested in Daredevil, they have issue #1 for $10 but 2, 3, and 4 are all regular price. Is it really that good? I did like Daredevil when I was younger.

[quote name='Rodimus']Started playing Spider-Man: Edge of Time and I really like it. Inspired me to pick up Timestorm: 2009 - 2099.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing that as well. It's good stuff.

[quote name='Indignate']Agreed on all accounts. TDK was probably the most disappointing thing I picked up while Aquaman was surprisingly good, although I think they delved too deep into the 'he's a joke' joke.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, TDK may pick up, but honestly, #1 was so bad and there are two other quality Batman titles (and a couple other Bat-books that are worthwhile as well) so I see no point in keeping it around.

Honestly I thought that was perfect, because it draws the reader in. They made the situation in the book exactly what the real world is like. How seriously does anyone ever take Aquaman? How many times has he been the butt of a joke on Family Guy or Robot Chicken? I know I didn't want to pick the book up until I heard how good it was. I think it was done well because the reader can immediately identify with what's going on in this particular universe because the reader can identify with the attitude of the city and its citizens at large.

I might have to pickup Aquaman if you guys are saying its that good. I actually passed on it because he's a huge joke to me. Maybe this turns him around in my eyes.

Quick question for you guys, in regards to getting rid of comics. What are good options, online of possible to get rid of them. I thought about potentially donating them, but nowhere around here makes sense. I'd love to keep some, buy had to cut down considerably. If anyone is interested, it is mainly DC stuff from 90s and early 2000s. I know one of the bigger runs was Robin from '94.

[quote name='Rocko']Honestly I thought that was perfect, because it draws the reader in. They made the situation in the book exactly what the real world is like. How seriously does anyone ever take Aquaman? How many times has he been the butt of a joke on Family Guy or Robot Chicken? I know I didn't want to pick the book up until I heard how good it was. I think it was done well because the reader can immediately identify with what's going on in this particular universe because the reader can identify with the attitude of the city and its citizens at large.[/QUOTE]

I think they just laid it on too thick. I mean even if all he does is 'talk to fish' do you go up to the guy and grill him about his supposed worthlessness? Do you give disbelieve towards the existence of Atlantis in this type of universe? This isn't what the real world is like so perspectives should be different. I think they tried too much to delve into the readers perspective of Aquaman so it just came out kind of...I don't know, out of character for me, broke immersion. That type of thing.

[quote name='advanced']I might have to pickup Aquaman if you guys are saying its that good. I actually passed on it because he's a huge joke to me. Maybe this turns him around in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest picking it up. I don't really know much about Aquaman but I really like Johns' writing and I thought it was really good.

Also picked up the first 5 issues of Thor: The Mighty Avenger. Really fun read. I recommend it to any fan of Thor as it's a more lighthearted/humor retelling of Thor's origins. It deals more with a "man out of place" scenario that creates a lot of funny scenes. Also the art is perfect for this book. Defiantly going to pick up the last remanning issues. I wonder if it got cancelled or just completed it's run? Wish it was still going as I'd defiantly put it on my pull list.

I know I just mentioned this, but really, if you like horror and/or absolutely brilliant character development, buy Severed. I just read issue 3 and it is so good. It makes me really excited not only for the rest of the series, but to read Swamp Thing 2 because Scott Snyder knows what he's doing.

Also, for whoever said the can't get Daredevil #1, you can always order the second printing online, Midtown Comics has the second printing for $3.39.

Edit: Just finished The Strange Talent of Luthor Strode #1 (of 6) (Image). It's been described as Kick-Ass for actual nerds. A really great read, like Kick-Ass, but better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I found my favorite digital comic reader for a tablet. ComicRack for Android. It can be synched from ComicRack on the PC and managed very cleanly.

Batman, DC Universe Presents Deadman, Justice League, and Near Death were on my pull list, though Near Death didn't come in.

Also picked up Wonder Woman 1 and 2 since I missed it last month, as well as the first issue of the new 30 Days of Night series.

Fear Itself ended just how I figured it would. While I love these superevents from Marvel, I'm really tired of them never finishing and just leading into a new event.

Reading the ending to Fear Itself right now. Turned out exactly like the last few events....
That Captain America thing with Thor's hammer though... Surprising I guess.

Anybody ready Uncanny X-Men this week?

Finally got around to reading a few comicbooks over the last few days. I read:

Daredevil #1 - really impressed with this. never really cared about Daredevil, but I am looking forward to getting into this series.

Savage Hawkman #1 - I enjoy this one, similar to Daredevil for me. never really cared for Hawkman, but I at least liked the first book enough to give the series a try.

Supernatural #1 (of 6) - not sure how I feel about this book. on one hand it is Supernatural so it has that going for it. on the other hand, I don't really feel compelled to give the rest of the series a shot.

Justice League of America #1 - really liked it, but I didn't figure otherwise.

Next reads are likely to be Suicide Squad, Deathstroke, Batman/Detective, and Superman/Action.

Superman isn't too hot, IMO. Action Comics is absolutely fantastic, but I removed Superman (and TDK) from my pull list after one issue. Just didn't do much for me at all.

I just finished Wonder Woman 1 and 2, and damn, this is a good read. I was hesitant because I'm not a big fan of that character, but this series is really great. Kind of horror-esque.

[quote name='slowdive21']Update. Finished the first 48 issues of the walking dead...now I have to wait a week or two to read the rest (form the library).[/QUOTE]

I cant read the Walking Dead anymore. It's great, but I want the whole story. I'll maybe read it up to the 100th issue, a month or 2 after it comes out.

Fear Itself was just okay. Secret Invasion & Civil War were better. And Uncanny X-men was a recap issue, i hate it on TV why would like it in Comic book.

^ I agree, Walking Dead is a much better read in some sort of collected form than single isues. I think I'm going to hold off reading my issues till an arc finishes then read them.

I just finished Batman: The Long Halloween. Fantastic. I've been out of the loop for so long it's nice getting back in and reading some great stuff and catching up.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I just finished Batman: The Long Halloween. Fantastic. I've been out of the loop for so long it's nice getting back in and reading some great stuff and catching up.[/QUOTE]

I just read this for the first time. It was outstanding. Anyone have any other recommendations for Batman collections?

[quote name='gravel']I just read this for the first time. It was outstanding. Anyone have any other recommendations for Batman collections?[/QUOTE]

What have you read?

Year One and The Dark Knight Returns are great Frank Miller titles.

Knightfall is another that's good and Hush is fantastic. There's also Arkham Asylum, Dark Victory, and The Killing Joke.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I cant read the Walking Dead anymore. It's great, but I want the whole story. I'll maybe read it up to the 100th issue, a month or 2 after it comes out.

Fear Itself was just okay. Secret Invasion & Civil War were better. And Uncanny X-men was a recap issue, i hate it on TV why would like it in Comic book.[/QUOTE]

WTF was that stuff with Sinister? Did I miss something there?

[quote name='gravel']I just read this for the first time. It was outstanding. Anyone have any other recommendations for Batman collections?[/QUOTE]

Year One is by far the best Batman story out there. The Dark Knight Returns isn't bad either. Hush is also pretty good.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ I agree, Walking Dead is a much better read in some sort of collected form than single isues. I think I'm going to hold off reading my issues till an arc finishes then read them.[/QUOTE]

I read the Walking Dead compendium 1 -Which reprints issues 1-48. I don't think compendium 2 has been released yet though. It is kind of the end of an arc.

Anyone able to recommend me a good Batman graphic novel to read? Already read through Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum, and Joker.

EDIT: After flipping through Amazon, it looks like Hush is a good choice. Long Halloween was probably my favorite of the ones I've listed, and Hush was written by the same author. Also, to those looking for Walking Dead collections, the hardcover collections are probably the best IMO. They release roughly 1 every six months, and the quality is pretty top-notch. I've bought them all and I haven't been disappointed.

Compendium 2 should be out before the end of the summer. Issue 90 comes out Wednesday and there's just one more arc before we're at 96. I would say closer to July is when we see it.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Compendium 2 should be out before the end of the summer. Issue 90 comes out Wednesday and there's just one more arc before we're at 96. I would say closer to July is when we see it.[/QUOTE]

My reason for saying at least a year is, assuming Compendium 2 includes the same number of issues as 1, the standard trade (16) will be released first with a probable delay until hardcover 8 and then ultimately followed by Compendium 2.

[quote name='advanced']WTF was that stuff with Sinister? Did I miss something there?[/QUOTE]

Sinister is back after being killed in Messiah Complex.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Sinister is back after being killed in Messiah Complex.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Must have glossed over that. Is the Lady Sinister that was in X-23 a while back the same as this one? And is he some sort of puppet master or something? Or what?

Word is that Spaceman is a great title and it's only $1. #1 this week. I'm about to go get my pulls, I think I'm going to try it and Incredible Hulk.

[quote name='Rocko']Word is that Spaceman is a great title and it's only $1. #1 this week. I'm about to go get my pulls, I think I'm going to try it and Incredible Hulk.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I found Spaceman to be..... Almost racist?

Bought Strange Talent of Luther Strode. Awesome shit right there. Picked up #2 today, can't wait to read it.

Also was able to get all the Red Wings. Looking forward to reading that. Also picked up the first two I, Vampires based off of reviews. I'm now way more into comics than I wanted to get lol.

[quote name='DestroVega']Hmmm I found Spaceman to be..... Almost racist?

Bought Strange Talent of Luther Strode. Awesome shit right there. Picked up #2 today, can't wait to read it.

Also was able to get all the Red Wings. Looking forward to reading that. Also picked up the first two I, Vampires based off of reviews. I'm now way more into comics than I wanted to get lol.[/QUOTE]

Thats how I've become lately. Testing the waters has been costly. Hopefully I can weed some more books out, after I catch up on some of the new 52. Well that and getting caught up on Daredevil, thanks for the recommendation whomever recommended it!

bread's done
Back