Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Kick Ass 2 isn't that good. It's that same Millar shock factor that's gotten stale and a bit over the top.
The scene were the villains kill the mother and rape the girl was too much and disturbing.

I'm about to head out and try to locate X-Men Schism 1-5, Regeneration, and Uncanny #1 and Wolverine #1. I didn't realize that they were doing this new jumping on point, so I want to catch up and get into the X-universe.

My LCS didn't have Schism 3, so I decided to just skip that and picked up the Regenesis one-shot and then Uncanny and Wolverine. So I should know what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']Yeah and #4[/QUOTE]

Two more I have to pick up. Should last a good 10 minutes lol

[quote name='Rodimus']Kick Ass 2 isn't that good. It's that same Millar shock factor that's gotten stale and a bit over the top.
The scene were the villains kill the mother and rape the girl was too much and disturbing.
[/QUOTE]

I'm still a fan of the comic cause I can't wait for it to be made into a movie.

[quote name='Rodimus']Kick Ass 2 isn't that good. It's that same Millar shock factor that's gotten stale and a bit over the top.
[/QUOTE]

This series is nothing less than revolting. Millar has become nothing more than the comic equivalent of a radio shock jock. Absolutely unimaginative and essentially incapable of telling a coherent story with any real substance.

All Millar is doing is making books in hopes that they get picked up by the studios. His work has gotten to be both annoying and borderline boring.

im kind of mad at marvel. you guys and i know (even though im a comic noob because i leave and comeback and leave) but within a couple months marvel will reboot the series over and over. every event is just overshadowed by another event and another and another. i want to get into the new xmen stuff but there are to many stories, to many comics, and uninteresting fueds...

should i even bother picking up x-force or new mutants? i dont like side/none canon stuff

i am going to get
wolvie and x-men #1, uncanny #1-2, avengers academy

OK people. I need some trades to read. What is worth reading from the past 10 years or so of comics? Assume I have already read the older/classics like watchmen, v, DKR, Year One, Killing Joke, SIN City, 300, Basically everything Alan Moore and Frank Miller have done, etc.

I am currently reading walking dead. I recently read "Y the last man", Joker, 1602, Origin, the Maxx full series.

I am going to start DMZ when I am done with walking dead vol 15 and the rise of the governor.

I read avengers/invaders and was disappointed mainly because I was unfamiliar with some of the characters.

I would like to get into some marvel and DC books, but I am not sure where to start. Is there a marvel or dc universe with continuity? I don't want to read 'fantasy' one offs. Or have 500 issues erased (like I think they did in ASM. I hope that isn't true.)

[quote name='slowdive21']OK people. I need some trades to read. What is worth reading from the past 10 years or so of comics? Assume I have already read the older/classics like watchmen, v, DKR, Year One, Killing Joke, SIN City, 300, Basically everything Alan Moore and Frank Miller have done, etc.

I am currently reading walking dead. I recently read "Y the last man", Joker, 1602, Origin, the Maxx full series.

I am going to start DMZ when I am done with walking dead vol 15 and the rise of the governor.

I read avengers/invaders and was disappointed mainly because I was unfamiliar with some of the characters.

I would like to get into some marvel and DC books, but I am not sure where to start. Is there a marvel or dc universe with continuity? I don't want to read 'fantasy' one offs. Or have 500 issues erased (like I think they did in ASM. I hope that isn't true.)[/QUOTE]

All the major events (Civil War, Secret Invasion, Siege) Marvel has had over the past 10 years haven't been retconned out of existing (yet). If I were you, I'd read some of the background info on some of the hero's who pique your interest and start there and branch out as you go along. Otherwise, I started with Avengers Disassembled and went through the major arcs from there myself. While doing so, I began to develop a like for certain heroes (Cap/Daredevil/Iron Fist) I had never liked/knew about before.

[quote name='advanced']All the major events (Civil War, Secret Invasion, Siege) Marvel has had over the past 10 years haven't been retconned out of existing (yet). If I were you, I'd read some of the background info on some of the hero's who pique your interest and start there and branch out as you go along. Otherwise, I started with Avengers Disassembled and went through the major arcs from there myself. While doing so, I began to develop a like for certain heroes (Cap/Daredevil/Iron Fist) I had never liked/knew about before.[/QUOTE]

Okay I would read

Runaways (All Volumes) Mostly self contained and very good
Nextwave (1&2) funny and odd and self contained
Astonishing X-Men (Issues 1-24 and Giant Size 1) Mostly self contained and very good
Secret Wars. cool little mini series
Thing: Idol of millions tpb. Good solid read.

[quote name='neocisco']This series is nothing less than revolting. Millar has become nothing more than the comic equivalent of a radio shock jock. Absolutely unimaginative and essentially incapable of telling a coherent story with any real substance.[/QUOTE]

His recent writing has been really bad, does he write drunk or something? Is it me or do you guys think Romita Jr's needs to get out of Kick Ass? It's like asking Disney to do an animated version of Kill Bill.

[quote name='advanced']Hmm. Must have glossed over that. Is the Lady Sinister that was in X-23 a while back the same as this one? And is he some sort of puppet master or something? Or what?[/QUOTE]

I'm not huge into Marvel, so I may be wrong in some areas. I forgot what trade it is and personally I didn't like the story too much.

In the past, Sinister had a machine that would allow his mind to basically hop into a different body in case his body was destroyed or whatever. Anyways, when he was killed, the machine basically mindhopped him into Xavier's body.

Anyways, this lady (who became Lady Sinister) found the machine and she wanted to use it on herself. Xavier/Sinister, Shaw, and Gambit all showed up to stop her. Xavier was able to purge Sinister from his body. At the end of the story arc, Miss Sinister shows up. I'm not sure if she actually is Sinister and that's where his mind ended up going or what, but from the story itself, I think that's kind of what it hinted at.

[quote name='slowdive21']OK people. I need some trades to read. What is worth reading from the past 10 years or so of comics? Assume I have already read the older/classics like watchmen, v, DKR, Year One, Killing Joke, SIN City, 300, Basically everything Alan Moore and Frank Miller have done, etc.

I would like to get into some marvel and DC books, but I am not sure where to start. Is there a marvel or dc universe with continuity? I don't want to read 'fantasy' one offs. Or have 500 issues erased (like I think they did in ASM. I hope that isn't true.)[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge, most of the recent Batman and Green Lantern stuff are still intact even after the New 52 reboot. So if you want into DC, I would recommend picking up any Batman with Grant Morrison as the writer (starting with Batman and Son) or John's Green Lantern run.

And if you haven't read Preacher yet by Garth Ennis (a Vertigo book) I would pick that up too. It was one of those books where I would pick up the first TPB...then when I was done go and pick up the next two...then the next two...until it was over. Amazing book, besides some irks I had with some repetitious moments with Tulip and Jesse and there's one trade in particular that felt like filler, but I don't regret reading that series one bit. One of my favorite comics ever.

So what is the deal with Action Comics (2/3), only books I've noticed so far? Why is there like 10 pages of BS in the back, as opposed to the 3 or so in Batman/Detective/Suicide Squad/Green Arrow (at least the first in all of those series)?

[quote name='4thHorseman']I'm not huge into Marvel, so I may be wrong in some areas. I forgot what trade it is and personally I didn't like the story too much.

In the past, Sinister had a machine that would allow his mind to basically hop into a different body in case his body was destroyed or whatever. Anyways, when he was killed, the machine basically mindhopped him into Xavier's body.

Anyways, this lady (who became Lady Sinister) found the machine and she wanted to use it on herself. Xavier/Sinister, Shaw, and Gambit all showed up to stop her. Xavier was able to purge Sinister from his body. At the end of the story arc, Miss Sinister shows up. I'm not sure if she actually is Sinister and that's where his mind ended up going or what, but from the story itself, I think that's kind of what it hinted at.[/QUOTE]

Thanks 4thHorseman. I totally missed ALL of that. I don't follow all of the X titles, so thats probably why.

[quote name='craven_fiend']So what is the deal with Action Comics (2/3), only books I've noticed so far? Why is there like 10 pages of BS in the back, as opposed to the 3 or so in Batman/Detective/Suicide Squad/Green Arrow (at least the first in all of those series)?[/QUOTE]

So they can charge you an extra dollar.

[quote name='advanced']All the major events (Civil War, Secret Invasion, Siege) Marvel has had over the past 10 years haven't been retconned out of existing (yet). If I were you, I'd read some of the background info on some of the hero's who pique your interest and start there and branch out as you go along. Otherwise, I started with Avengers Disassembled and went through the major arcs from there myself. While doing so, I began to develop a like for certain heroes (Cap/Daredevil/Iron Fist) I had never liked/knew about before.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Okay I would read

Runaways (All Volumes) Mostly self contained and very good
Nextwave (1&2) funny and odd and self contained
Astonishing X-Men (Issues 1-24 and Giant Size 1) Mostly self contained and very good
Secret Wars. cool little mini series
Thing: Idol of millions tpb. Good solid read.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='4thHorseman']To my knowledge, most of the recent Batman and Green Lantern stuff are still intact even after the New 52 reboot. So if you want into DC, I would recommend picking up any Batman with Grant Morrison as the writer (starting with Batman and Son) or John's Green Lantern run.

And if you haven't read Preacher yet by Garth Ennis (a Vertigo book) I would pick that up too. It was one of those books where I would pick up the first TPB...then when I was done go and pick up the next two...then the next two...until it was over. Amazing book, besides some irks I had with some repetitious moments with Tulip and Jesse and there's one trade in particular that felt like filler, but I don't regret reading that series one bit. One of my favorite comics ever.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips guys. Preacher is on my list of series to read, I just haven't gotten around to it yet (so is Sandman). I noticed the same thing with the walking dead...some of the dialogue/scenes are similar or the same as some of the previous issues.

Is the Thing Idol TPB reprint issues 1-8 of the 80's series or did he have a newer series?

[quote name='slowdive21']Thanks for the tips guys. Preacher is on my list of series to read, I just haven't gotten around to it yet (so is Sandman). I noticed the same thing with the walking dead...some of the dialogue/scenes are similar or the same as some of the previous issues.

Is the Thing Idol TPB reprint issues 1-8 of the 80's series or did he have a newer series?[/QUOTE]

It's the 2000's series right before the Civil War.

[quote name='neocisco']So they can charge you an extra dollar.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. People will buy it because it is Superman, even if it is full of "fluff" at the end.

Finished Batman: Year One. Good Stuff. I also picked up Batman 1&2 and Batgirl 1&2. I like both. Swamp Thing #2 was also good and I hate I missed #1. I want to pick up Green Arrow and Green Lantern eventually.

So I usually hit the comic store I've been going to now every Wednesday and never really have a problem getting anything. Then I found out I was two weeks behind on Ghostbusters, missed #2, they said they sold out almost immediately... so I go to midtown online and it's sold out there too... what gives? It's that popular? The store still has a few issues of #1 for what it's worth.

[quote name='neocisco']Swamp Thing 1 has gone to a 3rd printing so it shouldn't be too hard to find.[/QUOTE]

Oh good.. My local shop was out of the 2nd printing. We are going to visit my in-laws in a week or so and I was just going to find it there. The shop near their place is more comics, while my only local shop is more games. Planed on checking out Green Arrow there also. I feel like I'm neglecting Marvel as the only thing I pick up with any regularity right now is Uncanny X-Force. :)

If you folks are like me and enjoy comic discussion but wish that CAG had a larger comic community, and are also a redditor, I invite you to pop into /r/comicbooks and check out the various links, discussions, and AMAs that pop up there.

Got an email from marvel digital comics

30% off an annual subscription with code:

CYBER11

It looks like it gives you access to every marvel comic they have online, but I am not sure. Must have gotten on the list form a comic con. ;)

Wow, this one's been dead for a long time. Anyway, I got some graphic novels for the holidays. Mostly usual fare that most people in this thread have read already. I did get Batman: Noel, though, and really enjoyed it. Not the strongest story, but the artwork is stunning.

I has been dead. I had to cut back a little on my comic book pull list. Got rid of Herc and all X-Men titles (except X-Factor) Didn't care for Schism. If they ever get a single Uncanny title again I might pick it up.

Probably my favorite titles at the moment are TMNT, Venom & Chew.

I'm a little indie in my tastes, but I've been digging on Loose Ends from 12 gauge, King City, and Strange Case of Luther Strode. Oh and can't forget Blue Estate. Men in tights don't move me.

How tough is it to get tickets for Comic Con when they open up for purchase. Last year I was over in San Diego a few days before the convention and really wished I went since it looked pretty good with all the people piling in. I look online and I see horror stories from previous years. I tried to get BlizzCon tickets a few years ago but that was a total bust. I guess I will just try and hope for the best. At least I will have Anime Boston and PAX East at the least. On a side note, the one my girlfriend though she preregged but then realized later she didn't we waited in line about 15 hours for Anime Boston tickets. It was gruesome. It felt like a never-ending Disney line. Every 3 or 4 hours I thought I was there and you would make another turn around a corner and bam god knows how many more loops.

I don't follow this thread but does anyone on CAG here buy/sell/trade comics/trades right here on CAG? I've listed some TPBs and HCs in my trade list in the past but they got no attention.

DC officially announced prequels to Watchmen. As much as I love Watchmen, this seems like a really, really, really bad idea. It's one of those things that should just stand on its own.

I thought it was a bad idea at first, also. Then I saw the amazing talent on board with it and I'm now looking forward to it. Brian Azzarello doing a 4-issue Rorschach series? Sign me up for that. JMS and Cooke being involved have me wanting it even more.

However, I don't really view it as necessary, but it will definitely sell.

For all the awesome titles (Animal Man easily being the best followed by Swamp Thing and Batman), they're some pretty bad clunkers in the bunch. They are cancelling some and starting others, though. So it's here to say.

[quote name='GhostShark']For all the awesome titles (Animal Man easily being the best followed by Swamp Thing and Batman), they're some pretty bad clunkers in the bunch. They are cancelling some and starting others, though. So it's here to say.[/QUOTE]

I'm buying batman, animal man, swamp thing, i, vampire and detective, though I think I'm done with Detective. The others are stellar.

HAHA, yeah, they ain't going back for quite awhile. But don't worry. When the eventual sales lag comes, Superboy-Prime will punch the Source Wall from within Dimension X, give the Anti-Monitor a headache, and in his rage, the AM will will let out a scream that should reactive the Multiverse, and Earth-1.5 will contain the older, newer set of heroes that you love...

I'm not really a huge follower of Marvel and DC - the timelines get so crazy. Wolverine is in X-factor the same time he is running the new school as he is tracking down the people who sent him to hell, and fighting with Ninjas in Japan...

But, as not a hardcore DC person I am wondering how does this relaunch work? Like what does it change? I read Batman, Catwoman and Dark Knight so far. Catwoman doesn't know who Batman is anymore though? Is Hush, Harley Quinn, and all the rest still out there? I am just wondering a bit what to expect...

I guess I should just stick with Image, Boom, and the rest that I can follow a bit easier.

Harley Quinn is now part of the Suicide Squad but will be returning to Gotham and getting her 52 origin told soon. The DC 52 reboot is different because they kept parts of some of the original origins and storylines that happened in the old continuity and mixed it in with these new beginnings. It seems like these changes will be around for a while too since the new Superman movie costume is close to what he wears in the 52 books.

[quote name='GhostShark']I thought it was a bad idea at first, also. Then I saw the amazing talent on board with it and I'm now looking forward to it. Brian Azzarello doing a 4-issue Rorschach series? Sign me up for that. JMS and Cooke being involved have me wanting it even more.

However, I don't really view it as necessary, but it will definitely sell.[/QUOTE]

Oh, it will sell, and I am sort of looking forward to it, too. Just don't think it's the greatest of ideas. Has that "The Kingdom" or "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" feel written all over it.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I'm not really a huge follower of Marvel and DC - the timelines get so crazy. Wolverine is in X-factor the same time he is running the new school as he is tracking down the people who sent him to hell, and fighting with Ninjas in Japan....[/QUOTE]

X-Force actually, but I agree, there's no secret he's spread thin. I dropped both his X-Men book and his regular ongoing. Since his Origin series canceled his current arc seems irrelevant.

Sabretooth's back. I was wondering what took em' so long. Loki only took a month or two revive. Cable, Human Torch & Black Bolt took a little longer. Only a matter of time for Nova, Star Lord & Thanos to have some cosmic imbalance that revives them too. I remember someone in Marvel saying "Human Torch is really dead" trying to convince people to buy the comic. You brought back Bucky, when do was get to see Uncle Ben again?

Sabretooth returning annoys me since his death was definitively written. Besides, that character doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant being brought back. The outcry for Sabretooth's return was deafening in it's silence. At this point, Marvel is a joke, even by comic book standards, when it comes to event deaths.

[quote name='neocisco']Sabretooth returning annoys me since his death was definitively written. Besides, that character doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant being brought back. The outcry for Sabretooth's return was deafening in it's silence. At this point, Marvel is a joke, even by comic book standards, when it comes to event deaths.[/QUOTE]

I thought Sabretooth had a pretty good death, then we find him in hell. Okay well he is in hell and then beheaded in hell with the hellsword or whatever the magical sword was... But now he is back and causing problems. Only ones who stay dead are the Waynes and Uncle Ben.

as for the new 52, is there any idea of what the changes were. Catwoman not knowng Batman is Bruce is a big change. I just felt like I was in a good place following batman with gotham city sirens and the other batman comics.

I hope Harley is still awesome. She is what partially got me into comics - starting with Batman animated series and then into the comics. I really liked the Harley series too from a while back. I got 2 overpriced Harley statues too.

On other comics how do people feel about Invincible right now? I lost interest for a while, but the last few issues have me interested again.

Walking Dead has been kind of slow to me for the last year.

Anyone else really into American Vampire, Scalped, Irredeemable/Incorruptible, and elephantmen.

[quote name='neocisco']Sabretooth returning annoys me since his death was definitively written. Besides, that character doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant being brought back. The outcry for Sabretooth's return was deafening in it's silence. At this point, Marvel is a joke, even by comic book standards, when it comes to event deaths.[/QUOTE]

They really are a joke. Every time someone dies I instantly think when and how they'll be brought back. Is Thor alive yet or was he ever really dead?

i dunno i think itll be interesting to see sabretooh interact with logans kids especially daken. even more to see him maybe mix it up with his age of apocalypse version. id also like to learn more about how he got out of hell and if their dad made it out as well. and with the way theyve been mixing up interactions between characters more itll be cool to see what fights he will get into aside from the usual him vs logan shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back