Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='slowdive21']hhmmmm. Give me a head's up when they are running the 10 cent sale. I may have to make a roadtrip. Find out if they do the comic cons too while you're at it! :D

I'll be hitting a couple of stores...One is the store I used to buy comics from that screwed me over on a large supplies order, so now I only go there for FCBD stuff. The other is an old school store that has nice high grade books at decent prices.

I also have garage sales to hit in the morning and I have some BB coupons to use up from the April @gamer mag.[/QUOTE]

The 10 cent sale is in August, I know. I'm not sure of the exact date, but I believe it's held during the annual Cornfest. Cheesy, I know. I've never been to it before, but I do planning on going to it this year.

Maybe we can meet up and hit some yard sales afterwards? :lol:

Hit two stores, grabbed a ton of free comics, a free Lady Mechanika poster(!!!!) and Thor HeroClix figures. Picked up my subscriptions, bought a comic I'm not subscribed to yet, my Tentacle Monster Cthulhu paint I needed for a custom My Little Pony, and some bags and boards. Now I'm sitting at home coughing a lung up because the person behind us in line before the store opened chainsmoked the entire time... I've never wanted to kick someones ass so much before.

Am I the only one here that like Morrison's Action Comics? They're obviously not masterpieces as far as scripting goes and he beats you over the head with themes, but I find that he brings up really interesting subject matter.

Just got back from the local comic shop - they were so generous. We got 12 comics plus a hardcover book. I also picked up Avengers vs. X-Men #3.

Super generous on my end as well, got Bongo comics, Mega Man, Sonic, yadda yadda. And three issues of Ultimate Fallout for free.

I haven't done Free Comic Book day in nigh on 8 years.

yeah, the guy and girl that run the local shop recognize my kids when we go in - we make a trip every 2-4 weeks. My kids were super excited to get so many comics and especially for free. The place was packed and there were people dressed as Darth Vader, Storm Troopers and other Star Wars characters outside taking pics with all the kids. One other kid showed up as Optimus Prime and was able to "transform" into a semi. Fun time all around.

[quote name='dohdough']Am I the only one here that like Morrison's Action Comics? They're obviously not masterpieces as far as scripting goes and he beats you over the head with themes, but I find that he brings up really interesting subject matter.[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one. I've been enjoying them as well. Just read issue 9 today. Good stuff.

I hit up 2 two stores today. The first had every comic under 4.99 for $1. 20 dollars caught me up on a few titles, and the second store was 25% off and because of Where you shop I had a coupon. And I picked up Saga #1, first print. Didn't read. You guys were talking about highly , so..

[quote name='Tsel']The 10 cent sale is in August, I know. I'm not sure of the exact date, but I believe it's held during the annual Cornfest. Cheesy, I know. I've never been to it before, but I do planning on going to it this year.

Maybe we can meet up and hit some yard sales afterwards? :lol:[/QUOTE]

You better be ready to hit some sales when I show up at your front door!
___

FCBD I hate my area. I hit both stores. Neither one had Mouse guard, Transformers, 2000AD, or Star Wars. Ended up dropping $51 on back issues between the two stores. One had $1 for any non wall book. Other guy has 50 cent books that I cleaned up on. ;) I did get the Thor Heroclix and apparently there were several books that were short print because of a truck crash.

We made out like bandits at our FCBD, but I'm known at that store because I went to college with the guy who runs it and I play Heroclix there regularly. The girls were both in costume (Supergirl and Batgirl) and everyone loved it. They came home and were trading issues around on the floor and the oldest reading a bit to the little one. :)

I decided to skip out on FCBD this year. I hate being a store filled with little kids running around so I passed. However, since I am on DC's press list, I got all the books they were releasing today. And I got friends picking me up what I missed.

[quote name='bhk']You're not the only one. I've been enjoying them as well. Just read issue 9 today. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's pretty good. It's pretty much the only book that I'm following right now and I haven't regularly picked up any comics for years.

The first store I went to was an absolute disaster. I got there at 11:30, only to find out they didn't open til 12. The sign on the door said 12, but the FCBD poster said 1PM, so I headed back to my car only to be whistled at and waved over by the owner. I though "Oh, cool, he's opening early." He asked what I wanted and I said I was just coming to hang out for FCBD. He let me in and said ONE per guest, which sucked right off the bat. I picked Spider-Man Season One. It was pretty obvious that he was trying to rush me out the door. No other sales or anything, just a table with all the free comics on it. He asked if I needed anything else and then said bye. Wtf? There goes your potential sale, buddy.

The second store was absolutely awesome. You could take however many of the free comics as you wanted and there were probably 7 or 8 long boxes outside that were all .25 cents. I grabbed 80 of them, ranging from Fear Itself to Marvel Zombies to some other limited runs. I was basically trying to pick up whatever limited runs I could find as I like having complete sets. It was also 50% on sets over $10, but I didn't feel like looking through even more stacks. There was even a dude dressed up as Spider-Man. It was a really good costume, too.

All in all, the second store definitely made the trip worth taking and I now have 80 more comics in my collection.

Never been to FCBD before. The store I go to is owned by a real nice guy, there were tons of kids. It was one copy of each free comic per person which is fine by me. Wasn't even all that interested in what they had but checked out a few. He asked me if I wanted the Thor comicklix thing or however you spell it. I took it, have no clue what it's for. No sales that I saw.

[quote name='slowdive21']You better be ready to hit some sales when I show up at your front door!
___

FCBD I hate my area. I hit both stores. Neither one had Mouse guard, Transformers, 2000AD, or Star Wars. Ended up dropping $51 on back issues between the two stores. One had $1 for any non wall book. Other guy has 50 cent books that I cleaned up on. ;) I did get the Thor Heroclix and apparently there were several books that were short print because of a truck crash.[/QUOTE]

You don't want to come to my area. The sales around here are pretty shitty, to say the least. You have to wait until the townwide ones just to get some decent sales.

I'm a little bummed that my store didn't have the Thor figures. I would've loved one. :cry:

[quote name='slowdive21']You better be ready to hit some sales when I show up at your front door!
___

FCBD I hate my area. I hit both stores. Neither one had Mouse guard, Transformers, 2000AD, or Star Wars. Ended up dropping $51 on back issues between the two stores. One had $1 for any non wall book. Other guy has 50 cent books that I cleaned up on. ;) I did get the Thor Heroclix and apparently there were several books that were short print because of a truck crash.[/QUOTE]

Hit up the Graham crackers stores in the area. They tend to be well stocked and cool. The chain Amazing Fantasy out south is good too.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Hit up the Graham crackers stores in the area. They tend to be well stocked and cool. The chain Amazing Fantasy out south is good too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never seem to have time to get to one. I thought they limit 3 comics per person or something like that?

There is a plus to my FCBD. I saw this catwoman...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/catwomanz.jpg/

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year I road trip for Free Comic Day. I traveled from Broward county to Palm Beach hitting 7 stores. I know the comic book stores pay for these books so I always buy books (with cash) from every place; this year I spent around $40 on back issues and an X-Men one-shot from the new releases wall.

Last year, two of the stores went all out with loud music, people in costume, raffles, and various artists signing autographs. This year they didn't do that (one store didn't even participate in FCBD although they had a "every back issue is $1.00" sale). Best place by far was a store called "Tate's" that let you choose 5 books at one table and gave you 2 extra books when you picked them up at another table.

Free comics I picked up:

The Avengers: Age of Ultron
The New 52! (two copies)
Buffy/The Guild (two copies)
Superman Family Adventures/Green Lantern
Transformers
Zombie Kid
Mouse Guard
The Stuff of Legend/Finding Gossamyr
Sonic the Hedgehog (two copies)
Bongo Free For All / Spongebob (two copies)
Lady Death
Mega Man
Voltron
Graphic Elvis
Burt Ward: Boy Wonder/ Wrath of the Titans
Witchblade
Star Wars/Serenity
Spider-man Season 1
Bad Medicine

I give extra books and books I don't like to co-workers and friends although lately I was thinking of keeping them to give out during Halloween.

Just read all 4 issues of 50 Girls 50 from Image. It was pretty good but too short and not much happened. The premise is neat though.

[quote name='Cage017']Every year I road trip for Free Comic Day. I traveled from Broward county to Palm Beach hitting 7 stores. I know the comic book stores pay for these books so I always buy books (with cash) from every place; this year I spent around $40 on back issues and an X-Men one-shot from the new releases wall.

Last year, two of the stores went all out with loud music, people in costume, raffles, and various artists signing autographs. This year they didn't do that (one store didn't even participate in FCBD although they had a "every back issue is $1.00" sale). Best place by far was a store called "Tate's" that let you choose 5 books at one table and gave you 2 extra books when you picked them up at another table.

Free comics I picked up:

The Avengers: Age of Ultron
The New 52! (two copies)
Buffy/The Guild (two copies)
Superman Family Adventures/Green Lantern
Transformers
Zombie Kid
Mouse Guard
The Stuff of Legend/Finding Gossamyr
Sonic the Hedgehog (two copies)
Bongo Free For All / Spongebob (two copies)
Lady Death
Mega Man
Voltron
Graphic Elvis
Burt Ward: Boy Wonder/ Wrath of the Titans
Witchblade
Star Wars/Serenity
Spider-man Season 1
Bad Medicine

I give extra books and books I don't like to co-workers and friends although lately I was thinking of keeping them to give out during Halloween.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know about the mouse guard Hardcover free book, I would tried hard to get that. People selling the free comics on ebay, with the Mouse guard one going for $15. The buffy was good but way to short, the DC one sucked. But haven't read anything DC for a long time.

[quote name='georox']Hit two stores, grabbed a ton of free comics, a free Lady Mechanika poster(!!!!) [/QUOTE]

Is Lade Mechanika still going on or was it cancelled? Last I saw a long time ago was that whatever issue was due next was listed as cancelled at most retailers. That had some very cool art in it.

Lemme see in comic world I am pretty excited and surprised how Hack Slash turned out in this newest issue. At comic-con I was thinking about maybe going as Samhain.

Also - another thing I was thinking about recently is how I really like dark super hero comics. I love Irredeemable and Miracle Man (at least until it got very crazy at the end). I really like After the Cape, Watchmen, the Boys and I can't remember what it is called now. The one where the super hero starts killing off villains using his super powers (like the first one is a pedophile who managed to beat the charges).

Even just super hero comics that are different. I remember really like Superior, Last of the Greats, and Common Grounds.

Actually.. can someone tell me the name of the comic I described above. I can't remember the name of it. Supe starts killing off villains, wife (who I believe was a detective) gets pissed off that he lied to her, other Supes bring him in, and one of them (a super strong woman) lets him break out. I remember I really liked it but I can't remember who published it or anything.

Aspen Comics tend to always get delayed and miss release dates on a monthly basis. Charismagic has been delayed several times as well.

[quote name='Javery']Invincible is sooooooooooo good.[/QUOTE]

When does it pick up? I read through the fourth trade, and other than
the father/son throwdown
, it has felt incredibly slow with very little happening. I want to keep reading, but I'm afraid I'll have to go through another 5 trades before something big happens.

[quote name='4thHorseman']When does it pick up? I read through the fourth trade, and other than
the father/son throwdown
, it has felt incredibly slow with very little happening. I want to keep reading, but I'm afraid I'll have to go through another 5 trades before something big happens.[/QUOTE]

Really? I'm in the middle of the second trade and I think it is great. I'll admit other than the
Omni-Man betrayal
nothing crazy has happened but I really like the character development and the non-superhero stuff so far. I also like the Guardians of the Globe.

[quote name='Javery']Really? I'm in the middle of the second trade and I think it is great. I'll admit other than the
Omni-Man betrayal
nothing crazy has happened but I really like the character development and the non-superhero stuff so far. I also like the Guardians of the Globe.[/QUOTE]

The characters themselves are great, but the story in general just feels really stale. I hear there are things that happen early on that come back late in the series, but there are only two things I ever hear about Invincible when it comes to the story itself
the father/son clash and the Viltrumite War
that happens later.

But in the years I've heard people talking about Invincible, those are the only two storybeats they ever seem to mention.

[quote name='4thHorseman']The characters themselves are great, but the story in general just feels really stale. I hear there are things that happen early on that come back late in the series, but there are only two things I ever hear about Invincible when it comes to the story itself
the father/son clash and the Viltrumite War
that happens later.

But in the years I've heard people talking about Invincible, those are the only two storybeats they ever seem to mention.[/QUOTE]

I do agree it does have a general superhero premise for it's stories, but the characters, the art, and writing (sure he's writing generic stories but he writes 'em well) keep me reading. Also Eve.

Yes. Yes. And Yes. The first issue was awesome. Plus it's double sized. If you can find it now I recommend getting. Otherwise 2nd print comes out in a few weeks.

It reads pretty similar to a movie, and so far it's got an intrigue to it.

I really love Deadpool and loved the original run back whenever that came out, but sometimes I just wish it would die a sweet death and rest for a bit. I don't think I'm going to be a fan of the way things are turning for the character - even though it has been in a rough patch for a while now.

For the last issue:

DP has lost his healing factor, but now has decided he doesn't want to die. If I remember correctly he has been wanting to die for a very long time, ever since his healing factor kicked in (at least in one of his biographies since he seemed to have a few different backgrounds).

Also can't he not die since Thanos was pissed off at him and gave him eternal life since he is in love with "Death" and is jealous of DP.

Also, without the healing factor shouldn't he be dying of cancer again? Since in some of his backgrounds that was why he signed up for Weapon X because he was dying of cancer.

Also isn't his insanity due to his body being just flooded with massive tumor growth including his brain? That is why he is so hideous/deformed his healing factor is constantly healing him but also causing his cancer to rampage out of control.

With no healing factor shouldn't he still be just covered in tumors since they were already there and why did his hair grow back completely in 10 minutes?

I know I sound like an angry comic book nerd but I so loved the 90's DP series. I also was lucky enough to track down his 1st appearance is New Mutants a while back for real cheap.

I think it would be cool if Image, Marvel, DC, etc. sold large versions of the covers for their comics to be bought as posters or something. So much of the art is beautiful and I'd love to frame up a few for the game room. It's a shame you don't get to appreciate it more.

[quote name='Javery']I think it would be cool if Image, Marvel, DC, etc. sold large versions of the covers for their comics to be bought as posters or something. So much of the art is beautiful and I'd love to frame up a few for the game room. It's a shame you don't get to appreciate it more.[/QUOTE]

Marvel definitely does this, and I suspect DC does as well. Head to marvel.com and look for the shop... Would post a link but I'm on the telephone.

EDIT: well I'll be damned. Went to get a link to the Marvel print store and this is what I find... http://marvel.com/help/category/29/topic/120.

Finally got a chance to pick up Mind the Gap. It was pretty solid. I've it at least 4-5 times just to try to figure out what is going on. It didn't blow me away like Morning Glories or Saga did with their first issues, though Morning Glories has been letting me down for several months now. My previous knowledge of Jim McCann was his excellent Hawkeye and Mockingbird series (that I have an autographed copy of) so I was expecting something along those lines, but man, that was some decent stuff. Can't wait for me.

Same with the Walking Dead. That was some good stuff this week as well.

I think the problem with MG is Spencer. He's gotten his hands into too many things and it's distracting him from keeping the pace. Once his run on Ultimate xmen and/or ToT ends, I hope to see MG get back on track. But MtG is off to a decent start and hopefully keeps its staying power.

WD this week was great. Though I'm worried Rick is becoming a bit unstable, and the something to fear moniker is related to him as opposed to the "Negan". Still a good read, and I'm interested to see how Glenn's predicament turns out.

I definitely also feel like Morning Glories has stalled out. Every month I get excited to see what happened to the characters from like 3 or 4 months ago and they aren't even seen. At least it looks like we will go full circle with the next issue since I've been waiting to see what happens there for a few months now.

[quote name='WiiNet']Anyone read Mind the Gap yet? Worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was solid enough that I'll be picking up at least another issue or two to see where it's headed. Thanks to the person in this thread that brought it to my attention.

heres to hoping they will give deadpool
a limited healing factor and keep him looking normal
. btw i thought a long while back that landau luckman and lake place said hed be healed due to a prophecy. whatever happened with that?

Here is hoping that they cancel all Deadpool books because he isn't that great of a character and his books always recieve some of the lowest reviews. At least Marvel has toned down the amount of Wolverine books coming out each month.

I'm going back and picking up on some of the New 52 series that I initially skipped. Are there any series that I should just flat-out skip altogether?

[quote name='GhostShark']Here is hoping that they cancel all Deadpool books because he isn't that great of a character and his books always recieve some of the lowest reviews. At least Marvel has toned down the amount of Wolverine books coming out each month.[/QUOTE]

i agree with the wolverine books way to many. for a while there they were really doing some interesting reviving older or lesser known characters itd be nice if they did more of that i was pissed when they got rid of brother blood. and where the new black panther series?

[quote name='GhostShark']Here is hoping that they cancel all Deadpool books because he isn't that great of a character and his books always recieve some of the lowest reviews. At least Marvel has toned down the amount of Wolverine books coming out each month.[/QUOTE]

Hey! I like Deadpool... also I hope you are not including Uncanny X-Force in your hope for cancellation... we may have to have a nerdy slap fight! :)

[quote name='Tsel']I'm going back and picking up on some of the New 52 series that I initially skipped. Are there any series that I should just flat-out skip altogether?[/QUOTE]

I love Batman, but the Dark Knight book did absolutely nothing for me. I stopped reading because it was awful.

[quote name='Javery']I think it would be cool if Image, Marvel, DC, etc. sold large versions of the covers for their comics to be bought as posters or something. So much of the art is beautiful and I'd love to frame up a few for the game room. It's a shame you don't get to appreciate it more.[/QUOTE]

Seems like the artist alley at comic conventions are the only place you can find stuff like that consistently - plus you would be buying them directly from the artist. A few I got at NYCC last year.... (they are 11x17,12x18, or 13x19 usually)

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

[quote name='bhk']I love Batman, but the Dark Knight book did absolutely nothing for me. I stopped reading because it was awful.[/QUOTE]

Detective got shitty after 4 books too.

the night of owls stuff right now is pretty good though i was hoping damien would cut loose alot more that what he did was cool. i havent been this interested in a batman plot since knightfall.

bread's done
Back