Contra 4!!! New 2D sidescroller for DS!

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
http://gonintendo.com/?p=19895

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – June 20, 2007 – Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc., today announced Contra 4 (working title) for the Nintendo DS™. Marking the 20th anniversary of the quintessential action franchise, the game pushes 2D side-scrolling action in an all-new direction with gunplay that spans two full screens, original gameplay mechanics that grant players deadlier abilities than ever before, and frantic multiplayer functionality.

Contra 4 takes place two years after the events of Contra III: The Alien Wars. After saving earth from invasion by Red Falcon, Bill Rizer and Lance Bean are confronted with a new extraterrestrial menace: the terrifying Black Viper. Joined by hard-boiled mercenaries Mad Dog and Scorpion, the warriors must once again wage war against an entire army of invaders.

Refining the 2D side-scrolling genre the series established 20 years ago, Contra 4 delivers pure action at a fever pitch as players jump, shoot, and dodge oncoming hazards. Utilizing a new dual screen presentation, the action spans both screens of the Nintendo DS, giving players the opportunity to battle across expansive environments in which death can come from any direction. The use of both screens for the game’s core action also allows for massive boss battles as players try to seek and destroy the weak points of sky-high enemies. A first for the series, Contra 4 introduces a grappling hook accessory that lets players grab onto elements of the environment directly above them. Whether using it to avoid oncoming dangers or attack from a strategic vantage point, the grappling hook allows for new combat situations and dramatic set pieces that underscore the game’s adrenaline-soaked pedigree.

Continuing the multiplayer tradition of previous games in the series, Contra 4 lets two players battle together against Black Viper’s army of vile alien forces and reclaim Earth for mankind.

Developed by WayForward Technologies, Contra 4 is planned for release on the Nintendo DS in 2007. For more information on the game and the Contra franchise, please visit: www.konami.com .
Wonder if the multiplayer will be Wi-Fi...

This is great news! I really hope the DS gets more and more stuff like this. I'm thinking with the popularity of the DS we might see more classic franchises getting updates. It's all good as long as they don't go screwing em up. I'm playing through Metroid Zero Mission now and I'd love to see a new 2D Metroid. Fusion was ok but I'm up for another.

WayForward? They're still around? Looks like they've been under the licensing hammer as of late.

Could they get around to releasing Shantae Advance, finally? Shoot, I'd love to see the Shantae demos they have. They even teased us with a Shantae wallpaper in Ping Pals for DS.

Well, Shantae was supposed to be good.

What I don't understand is, they announce 4 characters, and it's only a 2-player game?

Learn complicated addition problems while slaying bitmap aliens YAY@!!@!@

seriously,... Lost in Space: Math Adventure????

WOW..... just WOW.

edit: Strell,... ZOMG :) that is hilarious

[quote name='pete5883']Well, Shantae was supposed to be good.

What I don't understand is, they announce 4 characters, and it's only a 2-player game?[/quote]

Contra Hard Corp had three or four characters too.

Don't hate on Wayforward Technologies. They produced the excellent Justice League: The Flash GBA game. A great superhero brawler released at the end of the GBA's life.

I dont like using 2 screens :(

I didnt like Sonic Rush, dont think this game will work out good...

the only way to compensate for the blind spot between the screens, for a game like contra, would be to make the game much easier.

otherwise, the reviews will be very low for this game in regards to cheap deaths.

They only worked on schlock because they need to feed their kids too. Not everyone can keep re-releasing sequels and remakes like Nintendo, Namco, and Square

Bah, Wayforward's two IP games are Shantae and Sigma Star Saga. Shantae was charming at times, but not particularly memorable. SSS ... dull, witless, and even the action scenes don't convince me that these people know Contra.

As far as I'm concerned, the thread is over. ;)

I liked SSS for what it was, though it definitely had some issues. A new Contra is definitely enough to get me interested, though I do think the idea of using both screens in an action game(especially one like Contra) is probably a bad idea. I mean, the blind spot was an issue in Yoshi's Island DS, and one would assume it would be an even bigger problem here.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Bah, Wayforward's two IP games are Shantae and Sigma Star Saga. Shantae was charming at times, but not particularly memorable. SSS ... dull, witless, and even the action scenes don't convince me that these people know Contra.

As far as I'm concerned, the thread is over. ;)[/quote]

Well said. I thought Sigma Star was horrible.

What is with Konami and their treatment of the Contra franchise? After the series hit its creative peak with Hard Corps, they go and sublicense it out to Hungarian shitmakers Appaloosa, who single-handedly destroy the Contra name with not one, but two PS1 atrocities!
It wasn't until the PS2 that longtime Contra mastermind Nobuya Nakazato once again stepped in to become the series overlord, creating the bad-ass Shattered Soldier and Neo-Contra.
So after we get the series going again, Konami goes and outsources to some more untalented goobers! What am I missing here?

To everyone complaining about the blind spot between the screen, not all games have that. They just make the screens act like they're 1 big attached vertical screen. It looks a little weird, but there's no blind spot in that scenario. They could opt for that.

yeay but becoz of that it's like "oh here comes a bullet at an angle which seems like I'm in a safe spot"

then the bullet teleports all hardcore and shyt and it's over!!!

but seriously tho, seeing as how the game jus got announced, I have faith that Konami won't eff it up.

they kno what they're doing, and they'll do it well like LL cool J

My wishlist
Don't eff up the choice to go 2 screen, make all the doubters eat their words

Wi-fi and single cart play

Don't try to drastically change the series and fail, stick with the roots, Alien Wars was awesome.

Level editor? Levels you can download off wi-fi, like Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2

Here are some tiny screens from the Nintendo Power preview. No blindspot.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=20018

contraiv.JPG

Looks cool to me based on those screenshots from Nintendo Power.

The Wikipedia page (right/wrong???) says it will suport wi-fi multiplayer ... Bonus!

If you're interested in this game, definitely pick up this month's Nintendo Power. In addition to the above screenshots, there are 4+ pages of details on the game, including a two page Q&A with the developers.

The game looks fabulous. Simply gorgeous. Just look at those bosses. You literally have to crawl all over them to fight them. It's like a 2D Shadow of Colossus.

[quote name='Tybee']If you're interested in this game, definitely pick up this month's Nintendo Power. In addition to the above screenshots, there are 4+ pages of details on the game, including a two page Q&A with the developers.

The game looks fabulous. Simply gorgeous. Just look at those bosses. You literally have to crawl all over them to fight them. It's like a 2D Shadow of Colossus.[/quote]

I've been crawling over massive bosses since Road Runner's Death Valley Rally and practically all of Metal Slug. [/pullrank]

:applause: :booty: [quote name='RollingSkull']I've been crawling over massive bosses since Road Runner's Death Valley Rally and practically all of Metal Slug. [/pullrank][/quote]

how did you play this game if it isnt even out yet??? are you a troll/lier/game dveloper, etc.:cry: :D :bomb: :bouncy:

[quote name='RollingSkull']I've been crawling over massive bosses since Road Runner's Death Valley Rally and practically all of Metal Slug. [/pullrank][/quote]

*refrains from wife-related sex joke...sort of*

;)

The best way to avoid the blindspot issue is to have a blindspot, so there are no wonky perspectives and teleporting bullets, but just design the levels around the screen break so that the middle area is kept mostly free from unfair "dead zones," as the AVGN called them.

Seeing it in motion means a Day 1 purchase for me. It looks like it does everything right, even before its done. Can't wait! :)

Alright, it looks okay. Worth a glance at the reviews on release.

But I shall maintain: Contra is what you buy when you're too poor to get Metal Slug

bread's done
Back