Crackdown 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - Out Now!

[quote name='oakafanforlife']Have any walmarts in your area? I bought a copy on June 28th :hot:[/QUOTE]

One is undergoing a remodel, so all the games are staying boxed up till tomorrow. The other two don't have it out

[quote name='reddjoey']One is undergoing a remodel, so all the games are staying boxed up till tomorrow. The other two don't have it out[/QUOTE]

The one I bought from was also undergoing a remodel. I was actually at walmart trying to pickup Sniper: Ghost Warrior a day early. When I was checking out all the games, they had labels for Sniper, but no game. On the next shelf over, they had stocked Crackdown 2. I asked them for the game and they got it out and it rang up with no issues.

[quote name='coolsteel']Was the targeting better at least? That was my real concern because it was pretty terrible in the demo[/QUOTE]

Terrible as in when you try to lock on to something it locks on to everything but what you wanted? Where there are a lot of things to lock on to in the area it still has those problems, but when you lock on to an enemy it's seemed pretty easy to target the different parts of the body.

I know the achievements have movie references, so I thought it was quite funny when I was causing havok and one of the people in the crowd yelled "I'm not even supposed to be here today" (hopefully most ppl know what movie this line is from)

[quote name='Bezerker']I know the achievements have movie references, so I thought it was quite funny when I was causing havok and one of the people in the crowd yelled "I'm not even supposed to be here today" (hopefully most ppl know what movie this line is from)[/QUOTE]

Clerks FTW!!!

Anyway my only concern is that I'm getting the game day one and none of my friends are :(

apparently there's a mission that literally cannot be completed unless there's a second player. they mention it in the review at destructoid. that's unexcusable.

i read the ign review and i didnt like hearing that your co-op buddies are just triangles on a map. you cant tell who is who, and you cant set waypoints so joining at a location might be hard.

[quote name='Scorch']apparently there's a mission that literally cannot be completed unless there's a second player. they mention it in the review at destructoid. that's unexcusable.[/QUOTE]
Is it a primary mission that you absolutely have to do? If so, then I'm screwed. I mostly always play alone.

[quote name='Scorch']apparently there's a mission that literally cannot be completed unless there's a second player. they mention it in the review at destructoid. that's unexcusable.[/QUOTE]

It's Destructoid AND Jim Sterling... take anything he says with a giant sized grain of salt. FWIW, no other reviews have mentioned this, so I believe it's just him digging for hits, as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='animalspinners']It's Destructoid AND Jim Sterling... take anything he says with a giant sized grain of salt. FWIW, no other reviews have mentioned this, so I believe it's just him digging for hits, as usual.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I never agree with that guy on anything. Absolute worst reviewer ever. And I can tell he doesn't really play through the games he reviews.

With that said, if that mission does exist, then why haven't we organized a game night or made a list of people that would want to join up and play or might need help. From I've read, co-op game only progress missions for the host. Feel free to add me to your friends lists. I think the MP might be mindless fun to blow each other the fuck up.

Mine shipped last Friday before I could cancel the order (was going to decide on Saturday). :wall: Either Amazon is so kind to ensure that this would get to me tomorrow, or they know it's a stinker. :lol:

I only paid $40 after rebates, and still get a $10 coupon out of the deal... so I don't know if it's worth shipping back.

[quote name='oakafanforlife']The one I bought from was also undergoing a remodel. I was actually at walmart trying to pickup Sniper: Ghost Warrior a day early. When I was checking out all the games, they had labels for Sniper, but no game. On the next shelf over, they had stocked Crackdown 2. I asked them for the game and they got it out and it rang up with no issues.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty weird..Not saying your lying but I run a electronics dept at WM and stuff with street dates WILL NOT go through a register if its not the exact release time..It will say "Item cannot be sold". And it is controlled by our home office and will not get the system refresh until 12:00am exactly. Must have gotten super lucky.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Mine shipped last Friday before I could cancel the order (was going to decide on Saturday). :wall: Either Amazon is so kind to ensure that this would get to me tomorrow, or they know it's a stinker. :lol:

I only paid $40 after rebates, and still get a $10 coupon out of the deal... so I don't know if it's worth shipping back.[/QUOTE]

It costs to $2.25 to return it and $40 to keep it.

I paid $47.xx for it (added it when it was in my Gold Box then knocked down to $49.99 with preorder price guarantee). I've been having second thoughts. I loved the first one and wanted to get this ASAP so I could play online as I have no intention of buying another XBL subscription again.

[quote name='Scorch']Second time around and STILL no split-screen? Not only that, but they took away system link? Screw that.[/QUOTE]

People still use system link? Lol, get with the times guy.

got my copy at my gamestop (did site to store for $10 credit and armor code) only to find out that my local gs had about 25 pre orders and they got 16 codes so no extra suits for me

[quote name='Guerrilla']Mine shipped last Friday before I could cancel the order (was going to decide on Saturday). :wall: Either Amazon is so kind to ensure that this would get to me tomorrow, or they know it's a stinker. :lol:

I only paid $40 after rebates, and still get a $10 coupon out of the deal... so I don't know if it's worth shipping back.[/QUOTE]

Ha, same thing happened to me.. I paid $50 though.

Despite how much I disliked the demo initially, doing the time glitch on it and goofing off for a few hours got me digging the game. Rather than deal with the hassle of returning it I just decided to throw caution to the wind and just keep it.

The aiming seems a lot better than it did in the demo with the day 1 patch, and so far, well, it's Crackdown. It's fun. Not much else to say at this point. It sucks that time glitch is gone on the demo because it was such a better representation of this game to me.

I noticed in the options that the gamma setting was set way too dark and once I tweaked that, the game had some pop and didn't seem like a muddy dark mess like the demo did for me.

There isn't really a lot to say that hasn't been said already but the game really starts getting fun once you hit level 3 in everything, which doesn't take too long. Rooftop races are a blast with the new jump pads.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but for buying it new you get a code in the box to redeem an Agency Helicopter prop for your Avatar. It's pretty decent. The game comes with Avatar Awards as well, you get an orb t-shirt for having the "First Blood" achievement from Crackdown 1. Nifty stuff.

Typical slow Amazon bullshit with the preorder codes though, still haven't got my Agency armors yet.

[quote name='Scorch']Second time around and STILL no split-screen? Not only that, but they took away system link? Screw that.[/QUOTE]

No system link does blow, but cmon, has ANY sandbox game featured split screen yet? The 360 doesn't have the power to do something like that, so it's kind of unfair to slam this game for something no sandbox game has ever done... or can't do. I'd love split screen immensely but it's not really the developers fault.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Check Best Buy, they had the pre-order cases with the codes inside them. They might still have them today.[/QUOTE]

45 min drive to closest BB, not worth that for the code

Rubber Ducky bomb ftw! That is all! Love the game, sure its the same damn game as the first one, but I've been having ridiculous amounts of fun in the co op!

anybody having problems playing co-op with this one? i tried playing with a few friends last night and it kept booting people if i tried to have more than one other person playing the game at the same time.

[quote name='GIDoty']Rubber Ducky bomb ftw! That is all! Love the game, sure its the same damn game as the first one, but I've been having ridiculous amounts of fun in the co op![/QUOTE]

Same here.

No complaints. It's more of the same, but the 4-player co-op makes this much more enjoyable this time around.

Granted, I got my copy for $35, so it makes it a little easier, but regardless, I'm enjoying the game a ton.

The variety in the freaks is really great as the game goes on... it's more than just the mindless mob from the demo. You've got spitting guys, suicide bombers, agile fast ones, and my favorite, the giant tank / charger combo that seems ripped straight from L4D. There may be more, not sure.

I thought the freaks was a stupid feature from the demo, but it really gets more intense as the game goes on.

[quote name='SteveGo']People still use system link? Lol, get with the times guy.[/QUOTE]

My roommate doesn't have XBox Live, so yes, we would use it since there's no chance for split screen. Believe it or not, some of us do still socialize and want to play with people that we're hanging out with.

Also, holy crap, that's a thick instruction book.

I've played a couple hours and I'm not getting into it as quickly as I did the first game. Something about it just doesn't feel right.

No surprise, but DLC is on the way

http://kotaku.com/5581890/crackdown-2-to-get-more-colorful-with-dlc

Among many criticisms of Crackdown 2 was the game's duller color palette, which swapped out the bright hues of the 2007 hit for duller, grittier tones. The developer said while this was intentional, it will be remedied with DLC.

I suppose a spoiler alert is in order here. Haven't played the game myself, but the studio, Ruffian, seems to tie this decision in with narrative details of the core game:

In character customization, "the colors you get by default are Agency-approved colors," Ruffian producer James Cope told MTV Multiplayer. "By the time the DLC comes out, people will know for certain that The Agency isn't good and then we can start fitting in to the propaganda we set up ahead of launch. The expansion of the armor colors becomes much more vibrant and radical from the Agency's approved perspective as we start looking at DLC."

Cope said the subdued colors, in addition to serving the narrative depiction of The Agency, also reflect a bombed-out state of Pacific City. Apparently the story changes in the game's downloadable content add-ons, two of which are planned. One is called "The Toy Box" and will return "Keys to the City," a kind of god-mode playground that allows players more powerful abilities, gadgets and vehicles. The second extension, "Deluge," that is more focused on expanding the game's play rather than its environment. "We're aiming at having a completely new way to play the game you've already got. I think people are much more appreciative of that," he told MTV Multiplayer.

No time frame for either extension's release was given.

[quote name='icedrake523']I've played a couple hours and I'm not getting into it as quickly as I did the first game. Something about it just doesn't feel right.[/QUOTE]

Might be the leveling up, its way too fast now. After an hour and thirty minutes i'm at level 3 for driving and strength and level 2 for everything else and that was without trying. The plague infected threw the system off as they come off as leveling up canon fodder that don't shoot. I think if something is really off about the game is just a lack of personality , entire thing reaks of been there done that except now just a little uglier.

[quote name='coolsteel']Might be the leveling up, its way too fast now. After an hour and thirty minutes i'm at level 3 for driving and strength and level 2 for everything else and that was without trying. The plague infected threw the system off as they come off as leveling up canon fodder that don't shoot. I think if something is really off about the game is just a lack of personality , entire thing reaks of been there done that except now just a little uglier.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, Driving and Guns level 5 take forever, so that'll make up for it.

Go to the spots where you initiated the territory takeovers. After you clear them out, they become Agency supply depots (where you call the heli and order weapons and vehicles) Stand on the orange circles/emblems while holding weapons and they automatically become stored.

Speaking of which, this whole game reeks of a rush job and I'll probably dump it after I finish the SP. Im pretty disappointed and I only paid $27 for it after promo codes and giftcard. fuck $60 for this. As I'm slowly working my way over the whole city I'm starting to remember spots from the first game (all the different gang hideouts and they different ways you had to approach each one) and I'm reminded how much of that is missing from this game. I really wonder why anyone would agree to a 8 month dev cycle. It definitely shows. Did Ruffian really think that orb collecting alone would sell a sequel? Then again, with the disaster that people are calling APB, I wonder if Realtime Worlds would have done any better.

I've read a couple places online that there's an additional avatar award that most places haven't listed. They say that you get an Agency Helicopter prop just for signing in to XBOX Live with the game...any truth to this?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I've read a couple places online that there's an additional avatar award that most places haven't listed. They say that you get an Agency Helicopter prop just for signing in to XBOX Live with the game...any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

There's a code insert in new copies (I'm assuming all new copies since mine came with one) for the agency helicopter prop. Kind of like the 48hr XBL codes. It was a nice surprise to find but I might sell it since I don't care much for such things.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I've read a couple places online that there's an additional avatar award that most places haven't listed. They say that you get an Agency Helicopter prop just for signing in to XBOX Live with the game...any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

I got the Agency Helicopter prop with a code found inside the game box.

According to an interview on IGN, M$ only gave Ruffian 8 -9 months to develop the game. First priority was 16-player pvp and 4-player co-op.

ok...I just found that "bug" that was mentioned in the Destructoid review...and, yeah, you def. need another player to do it. The mission has an area that needs to be cleared of enemies and if a single player leaves the marker then the games tells you to return to it. Then you have like 30 seconds to return or it ends the mission. Problem is, the rest of the enemies are at the top of a building. Once you start climbing it, you are told to return to the target area or it ends the mission. Basically, one player needs to stand at the target area and another needs to scale the building and clear out the enemies to finish the mission. Someone wanna help me out with this, please?

[quote name='carbontiger']ok...I just found that "bug" that was mentioned in the Destructoid review...and, yeah, you def. need another player to do it. The mission has an area that needs to be cleared of enemies and if a single player leaves the marker then the games tells you to return to it. Then you have like 30 seconds to return or it ends the mission. Problem is, the rest of the enemies are at the top of a building. Once you start climbing it, you are told to return to the target area or it ends the mission. Basically, one player needs to stand at the target area and another needs to scale the building and clear out the enemies to finish the mission. Someone wanna help me out with this, please?[/QUOTE]

Definitely don't need another player -

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241311

Tons of strategies in there on how to do it single player, it's definitely doable!

Anyone want to team up with me to clear out the freaks under the Sports complex? I've tried it myself twice. I could do it on my own with careful planning but I want to do some co-op while I still have Gold.

[quote name='icedrake523']Anyone want to team up with me to clear out the freaks under the Sports complex? I've tried it myself twice. I could do it on my own with careful planning but I want to do some co-op while I still have Gold.[/QUOTE]

I would, but I got some BS finals to study for :(

Just finally played the demo after being damn tempted to buy it yesterday.

Holy shit, am I glad I held off.

The game is *impossible* to play on SDTV. I can't read any of the text on screen at all.

i love the demo and will most likely get it next week
anyone know about the glitvh that lets u pla for unlimited amount of time
would lov to play the demo until i got the game

So instead of returning it, I decided to keep it over the weekend and play the crap out of it. I locked in $31.25 TIV with Amazon, though I may trade it to GS toward DQIX (should be $35 TIV with coupon/edge unless it drops).

Anyway, it's classic Crackdown fun as expected, but not different enough to warrant keeping it...

[quote name='Logain8955']Just finally played the demo after being damn tempted to buy it yesterday.

Holy shit, am I glad I held off.

The game is *impossible* to play on SDTV. I can't read any of the text on screen at all.[/QUOTE]
I hate how a lot of games you can't see what anything is on a SDTV. I used to play on 40 inch CRT maybe 5-6 feet away. My eyesight isn't that great to begin with, even with glasses, but I could barely read any of the text in AC2. For all those glyph puzzles, I had to get up and stand right in front of the screen to see anything. There's an immense difference playing it on a HDTV now, I can actually tell what the symbols are supposed to be.

[quote name='adriley313']i love the demo and will most likely get it next week
anyone know about the glitvh that lets u pla for unlimited amount of time
would lov to play the demo until i got the game[/QUOTE]

They patched it so it no longer works.

I had to just give up and sell the game, by the 4 hour mark is was boring me to tears. Activate beacon, reclaim tactical point over and over . Managed 42 bucks for it on ebay which is good enough.

bread's done
Back