Crackdown - Gen. Discussion & Info

lost planet is my fav game atm, its fucking sweet but i guess sucks to be you =)
dled crackdown but havent had a chance to play it yet.

FYI: Just came back from my local Best Buy, and they have this game for preorder for $5 bucks and it states it will include the Halo 3 Beta invite.

[quote name='danked']lost planet is my fav game atm, its fucking sweet but i guess sucks to be you =)
dled crackdown but havent had a chance to play it yet.[/QUOTE]

Hey , chill out .

I was just saying I'm enjoying this DEMO more than the Lost Planet DEMO [loved the Single player , didn't exactly care for the Multiplayer].

I'm not declaring the game better . I just like it more .

You seemed to take offense to me stating my opinion .

I gotta say... I really like the look and feel of the game world.

I don't like how the view on the car is up the cars ass when I'm driving, though. And driving itself is a little weird.

But I don't know... the game is really alot of fun once you level up. I wish I could throw cars clear across the map :rofl:

[quote name='Richlough']Hey , chill out .

I was just saying I'm enjoying this DEMO more than the Lost Planet DEMO [loved the Single player , didn't exactly care for the Multiplayer].

I'm not declaring the game better . I just like it more .

You seemed to take offense to me stating my opinion .[/quote]

hehe not at all. sorry just being an asshat

[quote name='orntar']how long have you had your console? it spins the ring of lights to tell you the wireless controller is running low on juice.[/quote]

I've been using it off and on since 3 days before X-mas, more heavily this last week due to the greatness that is Dead Rising. I figured it would be running low on power soon as I've been using the Energizers that MS packed in. Got a set of 2100mah rechargables on standby.

I am pretty disappointed that this demo requires gold to download. At first I didnt think this would be a problem. You see whenever I have created an account before on Xbox Live I have gotten a free month of gold. No I am not a cheap bastard who does this every time I want to play online; my year of gold just ran out a few days ago. Right now I am pretty busy with school and don't want to resubscribe quite yet. Anyway I figured I could create another account just to download the demo. Unfortunately whenever I create a new account it does not give me the option for a free month of gold. How does this work? Does it only give the option for your first few accounts or what?

Edit: I Just read that you only get 3 of these free trials per console all of which I have used.

Well damn... I even tried on of those 48 hour trials on a new account and it only lets you play games not permission to download gold items.

This makes me pretty angry, I came home anticipating the chance to download this demo and then they throw this at me...

I really dont want to wait a week for it to be released for those with silver...

I love the demo, I'm gonna go reserve the game now (the Halo 3 beta doesnt hurt either, and I haven't got an email saying I'm in the beta yet)

Didn't really get to play yet, but the menu UI is horrible, they really need to revisit that before launching.
Just trying to switch look to inverted is a chore.

This shit took me by surprise. After leveling up, it became way more fun. Now I don't mind buying this to get in to the Halo 3 beta.

holy sheeetttt
this game is alot of fun! leveling up your agility and bounding all over the city is great. i love spin kicking cars too.

purchase!

i cant see myself buying this game..

instead of sticking to any objectives id just go around killing people and jacking cars like i did with GTA.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']i cant see myself buying this game..

instead of sticking to any objectives id just go around killing people and jacking cars like i did with GTA.[/quote]

Thats cause you suck at every game you ever touch and like donkey dick.

The demo was fun. Don't know if it will last through a whole game length fun but it was fun. With the halo beta included I might pick this up day one.

Anyone have any idea how to get on top of the careuosel (sp?) where all the gang members are? I've been trying it with different methods for a while and i can't seem to get to the top.

I know its possible because theres a little agility thing up there.

Wow, talk about surprise hit of the year.

I spent the entire time just jumping on rooftops, chasing down gang members, tossing cars off the freeway onto other cars, tossing cars at gang members and throwing dead people at alive people (thus making more dead people to throw)

I like it. It kinda has a 'Mercenaries' meets the movie Demoltian Man feel w/ leveling up skills like in Oblivion. I suppose driving gets easier as you upgrade your driving skill.

Having a hour to do whatever you want and speeding the leveling up for the demo really gives you a good feel for the game that I don't think you would get from a more crippled demo. Good move by Microsoft cause you kinda have to try this to get it.

I'm adding to my gamefly queue.

heh, i started my D/L at around 2 PM this afternoon and got to 27% in about 20 mins, but then aborted the d/l to go to my friends house..came back, finished up the D/L up to 100% in 30 mins...guess i was lucky :O

but yea, just spent my hour and this game is pretty fun...once i got the mad hops, it got a lot more fun b/c you could explore all the rooftops and jump from rooftop to rooftop and find little nooks and crannies to kill people...might have to cop this sometime soon after release

I'm glad that people actually like the game enough to buy it and not just for the Halo 3 beta. To me it was pretty much what I expected from it but I just wish the demo wasn't timed. Glad I have it pre-ordered.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I'm downloading now, sucks that my ISP tracks how much bandwidth I use and I hope to god this demo isn't on the next OXM disc^^[/quote]

Who do you have? Cablevision? Optimum online doesnt monitor shit do they?

[quote name='Sockey']I am pretty disappointed that this demo requires gold to download. At first I didnt think this would be a problem. You see whenever I have created an account before on Xbox Live I have gotten a free month of gold. No I am not a cheap bastard who does this every time I want to play online; my year of gold just ran out a few days ago. Right now I am pretty busy with school and don't want to resubscribe quite yet. Anyway I figured I could create another account just to download the demo. Unfortunately whenever I create a new account it does not give me the option for a free month of gold. How does this work? Does it only give the option for your first few accounts or what?

Edit: I Just read that you only get 3 of these free trials per console all of which I have used.

Well damn... I even tried on of those 48 hour trials on a new account and it only lets you play games not permission to download gold items.

This makes me pretty angry, I came home anticipating the chance to download this demo and then they throw this at me...

I really dont want to wait a week for it to be released for those with silver...[/quote]

I just set up a brand new account with fake info on a fake Live ID with a silver membership and its downloading right now. Downloading it to a friend's HD that doesn't have Live.

So you can only level up each skill 4 times?

I know the final game will level up slower, but I kind of hope it's much much slower to make the game longer.

Regardless, I'll most likely try and work an extra day this week at work to pick this up day 1.

[quote name='seanr1221']So you can only level up each skill 4 times?

I know the final game will level up slower, but I kind of hope it's much much slower to make the game longer.

Regardless, I'll most likely try and work an extra day this week at work to pick this up day 1.[/quote]
Yeah, I was hoping you could get to like level 10. It's kinda disappointing, but I know the final game will go a bit slower. There's 500 of those agility stat boosters, and I doubt that it'll take all of those to get to level 4. I'm thinking it'll go up a little bit for every one you pick up after level 4. I don't see why there would be so many of them otherwise.

I've been looking forward to this game since I first read about it in Game Informer nearly 2 years ago, and I'm dissappointed. It's Lowest Common Denominator gaming at its finest, in my opinion.

Everything feels so damn basic. I was expecting a natural progression of skills a la Morrowind and Oblivion (even to some extent San Andreas) but instead you rely on collecting powerups to get everything. Want a better firearm skill? Kill people and collect the power up. Better driving? Run over people and collect the power ups. The same story with grenades and strength.

The biggest grievance in each Agent's "evolution" occurs when leveling your agility skill. You don't naturally get more agile the more you run or jump. Instead you have to find and collect - you guessed it - powerups that are scattered all over the game world. 500 powerups. What, is Microsoft Game Studios taking advice from Rare? "This game's somewhat platformy... let's put tokens everywhere!"

Once you build your guy up, you're not treated to anything new. Just more of the same. Firearms - Shoot better. Driving - Drive faster/better. Agility - run faster/jump higher. Instead of being treated to more advanced techniques, like say a backflip, some Le Parkour or maybe dual-wielding of the guns, your guy instead does the same thing... but stronger! And faster! Boring!

I hope and pray this demo isn't telling of what the final game is going to be like. If so, I'm dissappointed. I would go on to how boring the 'missions' are - if you can call them that, and how every gun pretty much feels the same but... the demo's out there.

I haven't tried co-op, and I'm sure that'll make it at least a bit more entertaining for me, but as it stands now, I am not paying $50+ for this, even WITH the promise of a Halo 3 beta.

Note: Someone PLEASE tell me there's more to the game than this. This game is a lesser Spider-Man 2. Much lesser.

At least the demo is... Here's hoping I'm proven wrong once retail drops...

Not terrible, but I can't help feeling I don't need it when I still own, occasionally play, and enjoy Saints Row.

Multiplayer I'm sure will be fun, but that's not really enough to sell me on it.

Might be too little, too late for this one....although I'm sure that Halo 3 offer didn't hurt presales of it.

Great game :applause:

The controls are kinda hard to get used to at first, but grow on you. The cars handle great. I only wish that there wer some more fighting moves. I haven't been able to trow enemies or objects at a really far distance, is there a trick to this?

[quote name='ratedpeej']I've been looking forward to this game since I first read about it in Game Informer nearly 2 years ago, and I'm dissappointed. It's Lowest Common Denominator gaming at its finest, in my opinion.

Everything feels so damn basic. I was expecting a natural progression of skills a la Morrowind and Oblivion (even to some extent San Andreas) but instead you rely on collecting powerups to get everything. Want a better firearm skill? Kill people and collect the power up. Better driving? Run over people and collect the power ups. The same story with grenades and strength.

The biggest grievance in evolving occurs when leveling your agility skill. You don't naturally get more agile the more you run or jump. Instead you have to find and collect these - you guessed it - powerups that are scattered all over the game world. 500 powerups. What, is Microsoft Game Studios taking advice from Rare when it comes to something remotely platformy and just sprinkling shiny collectables everywhere?

Once you build your guy up, you're not treated to anything new. Just more of the same. Firearms - Shoot better. Driving - Drive faster/better. Agility - run faster/jump higher. Instead of being treated to more advanced techniques, like say a backflip, some Le Parkour or maybe dual-wielding of the guns, your guy instead does the same thing... stronger! Boring!

I hope and pray this demo isn't telling of what the final game is going to be like. If so, I'm dissappointed. I would go on to how boring the 'missions' are - if you can call them that, and how every gun pretty much feels the same but... the demo's out there.

I haven't tried co-op, and I'm sure that'll make it at least a bit more entertaining for me, but as it stands now, I am not paying $50+ for this, even WITH the promise of a Halo 3 beta.

Note: Someone PLEASE tell me there's more to the game than this. This game is a lesser Spider-Man 2, where Spider-Man 2 is both fantastic and nearly 3 years old.[/QUOTE]

After a few more playthrough's, and the initial "OMG THIS GAME IS AWESOME" feeling is wearing off, I feel the same way. I've been anticipating this game for a long time but I doubt I'll get it at launch. That guy who made Saints Row was spot on in what he wrote about the demo.

I'll wait for it to show up on the MS Retail Site.

My demo only got to like 27% after 1.5 hours. Needless to say, I gave up. Not sure where it was after another 1.5 hours of letting it D/L.

Oh well...hopefully I like it.

I liked the Saints Row demo enough to buy it, but I don't know about this game. After playing video games for 20+ years if I don't immediately get the play control I lose interest. I mean I got the driving and shooting stuff down, but there was something intangible about the play control that I didn't like. The most commendable thing in this game was that you can actually detect the cars acceleration and gear shifts. I think it did a better at this than PGR or Test Drive, both I still play. I must be in the minority, nothing grabbed me, shook me, and said PLAY ME. I deleted it.

After about 4 play throughs I am going to join the crowd as well. Seems like a must-own, but not right away. Maybe some updates or DLC story lines(something Matrix Online style perhaps? where every month or so there is a big mission type thing added) will add to the enjoyment factor. I'd really like to see the evolution of the agents more, but I think this will be a rental until it drops in price quite a bit.

Best way in the demo to get a feel for certain specific skills is to focus solely on one the whole time, and maybe toss some agility in there. Strength gets pretty fun when you can hurl cars down the street at enemies, atleast until they shoot the tank and you blow up.

I find it near impossible to do the races without amassing a ridiculous amount of innocent casualties, atleast in the time limit.

It feels like a simplified form of Spider-man 2, as someone elluded to earlier, without the story and the more detailed fighting options.

Have yet to try co-op, but if someone wants to give it a run through feel free to send me a message on live.

[quote name='Scorch']I just set up a brand new account with fake info on a fake Live ID with a silver membership and its downloading right now. Downloading it to a friend's HD that doesn't have Live.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would do that too but you are limited to creating 3 free silver accounts that come with a month gold per console. Unfortunately I have already created three of these accounts (others who use the same console and my Japanese account). Now when I try to make one it creates a standard silver one and won't allow me to download crackdown. Its right there on the marketplace... so close yet so far away. I guess I have no choice but to wait another week...

70% after about 4 hours. God damned ridiculous.
It usually takes me 30-45 minutes tops to DL the largest demos. Good thing I grabbed it today so I'll have it waiting for the weekend.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']WTF?!

Don't understand the praise, it played like a slightly modified knockoff of a knockoff (Saint's Row)

(a badly done one at that)[/QUOTE]

WTF?!

I really don't get the comparisons between this and Saint's Row other then them both being a open-ended game set in an urban enviroment.

(they really do have two very different overall goals)

Cars don't control that great, the targeting is HORRIBLE (if you target one guy, you should be able to hit the right thumbstick and it goes to the guy next to him.. this is not the case). Everyone's constantly shooting at you. It's fun jumping building to building and basically playing Spider-Man without shooting the webs. The demo is enough to satisfy me until this gets cheaper or I get a good deal.

Crackdown is as much like Saint's Row or GTA as Final Fantasy is to fucking Oblivion, which is to say, not very. They can be summed up in the same broad category on a shelf somewhere. As for gameplay mechanics, they are so vastly different I can't fathom how people are making the comparisons. The closest thing you could say is that "Crackdown is like Saint's Row if in Saint's Row, your character was a super hero and he lived in a comic book."

As for Crackdown itself, it does have some problems. Far too many times while I was targeting and shooting from 20+ feet away, my character would instead try to melee the person I was targeting, usually when I was higher up than the person I was targeting. Annoying but not a dealbreaker IMO. As for going from enemy to enemy in the targeting, I found it pretty easy although sometimes the targeting would get stuck on a person that was already dead, even after I disengaged and re-engaged to targeting. Also it's not always that smart when chosing which enemy to target. Other than the targeting issues though I thought the game was good fun. I'm hoping there are more side missions than just races as races and killing shit eventually gets old, but exploring the city is so goddamn fun, you almost play the actual story mode by accident while jumping around and throwing cars at people.

A decent demo. Played Co-op with a friend. That definitely adds to it, you can even ride in the same car which is a nice touch.

bread's done
Back