Currently Playing / General Gaming Talk Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is, with the older PS3 models (one with EE), there's not a whole lot they can do to improve the graphics when upscaling, because it's hardware based (but with software to upscale). The PS3 consoles without the EE, there are more possibilities to improve PS2 games graphically, because it's all software based. Sony even said that themselves, which is part of the reason they switched to software (other than being more cost effective).

They'll probably allow for a download of the software emulator on the consoles without EE. Besides, in the interview, the people didn't specify whether they were talking about consoles with or without the EE. this was that software dev interview from a little while ago...

[quote name='botticus']Well, it would be my first time playing through the Prime series, so it was more a matter of playing them in order. I have a feeling, for better or worse, I won't want to go back to Prime 1 and 2 if I play 3 first.[/quote]I'm banking on a later quick cash-in by mkaing the first two PRime Wii-i-fied with Prime 3's control scheme. After being so used to dual analog FPS controls, playing Prime 1 was like trying to play while upside down.

At this point, I'm content to let Prime 3 be my intro into 3D Metroids.

Daroga with the big mention on the CAGcast. He's risin to the top!

The first two metroid primes are quality, but I wouldn't reccomend a marathon trilogy(not bungie's marathon trilogy, though i would reccomend that) playthrough. you'll burn out halfway through part 2.

[quote name='jimfoley16']I agree. Doesn't seem so hard to implement.

OT: I'm reading Things Fall Apart right now, oddly enough. Really enjoying the book. I'm about a 3rd of the way done (I assume that's what your user title refers to?).[/QUOTE]
B00000I5JL.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I actually got it from this dope Roots album. Maybe they were inspired by the book? What's it about?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Because people should buy a PS3 if they want their games upscaled. :p Try plugging in a PS2 into an HDTV, looking at a 480i game, and it looks UGLY. At least with the PS3, it makes it look acceptable.
Problem is, with the older PS3 models (one with EE), there's not a whole lot they can do to improve the graphics when upscaling, because it's hardware based (but with software to upscale). The PS3 consoles without the EE, there are more possibilities to improve PS2 games graphically, because it's all software based. Sony even said that themselves, which is part of the reason they switched to software (other than being more cost effective). [/QUOTE]

Wrong. Like I said, it's look the same as playing on my PS2 on my HDTV. One of the features I was never impressed with my PS3 was the upscaling. It wasn't a dramatic improvement, in fact I didn't notice any improvement.

Also, just because a PS3 has a EE doesn't mean it couldn't use software emulation if that would make the games look better.

I wish they'd make the games look like those upscaled FFXII pics from way back when. :drool:

not doing much so far. just finished doing my inventory on the all the games coming out in the next 4 months (there are a whopping total of 417 games coming out between now and december 27th, with devil may cry 4 being the last game released in '07) and now I'm probably going to play some gears.

[quote name='zewone']
B00000I5JL.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I actually got it from this dope Roots album. Maybe they were inspired by the book? What's it about?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they probably were, it's this African book about this man who lives in fear of shame and of being recognized as similar to his father as well as other things.

this bioshock hype is getting to me.

$350 for a premium system

sell the HD for $60, other bullshit for $20

$270 HDMI 360 with non made of twigs and kindling internal parts.

HMMMMMMMMMMBIOSHOCK

[quote name='jimfoley16']Pretty sure they probably were, it's this African book about this man who lives in fear of shame and of being recognized as similar to his father as well as other things.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it defintely is then.

jer7583, if you sell your HDD, how do you plan on saving games? A $50 memory card?

anyone know if some Suda 51 games other than Killer 7 were translated to US? I want to play The Silver Case, but I think I'll wait for the DS version... then again, I can always play some Contact, Shining Soul II, or Samurai Shamploo (though I can't stand that show a bit).

I kept my old Hard Drive when I sold my 360 a few months back. This plan won't be happening for a while, unfortunately. Nearly 2 grand of repairs on the car lately has me in debt for some time.

Thank god hundreds of AAA titles were made in the past that I've never played or would love to play again!

I really haven't played anything this month, but I'm eyeing this here sealed copy of Vagrant Story. Think I'll give it a shot.

[quote name='Chacrana']I really haven't played anything this month, but I'm eyeing this here sealed copy of Vagrant Story. Think I'll give it a shot.[/QUOTE]
It's soooooo good.

[quote name='zewone']It's soooooo good.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping. I thought about how bored I am and realized that I want to play something like Square's PS1-era RPGs... back when their stuff was almost always gold. IMO, there's pretty much nothing that compares to their older RPGs, especially stuff like Xenogears and Chrono Cross. Anyway, I remembered that I never played Vagrant Story, but I bought it a year and a half ago and it's supposed to be ridiculously good... so if this disappoints, I'll be sad.

Got past the second boss in Tales of The Abyss.

Good stuff so far.

I'm going to guess that I've always overlooked this game due to the awful cover art.

Glad I got past that :lol:

I'd love to be able to say I'm playing persona 3 but I got screwed at gamestop, like usual.

I got lucky and found another few cheap BB DS games, and brought them over to GS before the deal ends.. and I said I wanted persona 3.

Well, they only had a gutted display copy, so whatever, the game's hard to find, and i'm getting $5 off with the coupon, plus screwing them over with $5 harvest moons, fine.

Before the employee rings me up, the manager comes by and notices what I'm buying. He looks at rest of the stock, and then says "i'm buying this one, sorry, we're sold out" and takes the copy away from the employee. What bullshit. I put the credit on my card and walked out.

Gamestop corporate says the district manager will be contacting me with a resolution, so maybe I can get a free $5 gift card or something out of it, and that manager will get off his power trip for being master of the podunk middle of nowhere gamestop.

[quote name='Chacrana']I really haven't played anything this month, but I'm eyeing this here sealed copy of Vagrant Story. Think I'll give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Still the all time greatest of RPGs I've played in a while... if you like FFT, it's in the same universe...

Also, today picked up Hamsterz Life for $10... yes it's a kiddy game, but all the aspect of talking with a hamster kick ass.

man phuck Tekken DR PSP!!

I always get addicted to it and shyt, wtf man?!?!

it's like Persona 3 jus came out, and I bough it, but I cant play it til I kill my 3 rpg backlog, and tekken aint helping!!

I'ma take it home this weekend and leave it there!! no more temptation for me!!

btw, Vagrant Story is one of my top games for psx! it's sooooo good.

played some Uno this morning...fucking Elite froze in the middle of a game :roll:

great job MS, way to build a system that can't even run fucking Uno, the most low tech game on the system. Did I mention I have one of the systems with the new heatsink and all that good stuff? :roll: :lol:

Playing Condemned right now. Not bad at all.
How long is it though? I need to beat it by the time Bioshock comes out (I'm in
the library
right now).

I had a busy day yesterday, so barely played any games. I tried the DiRT demo on PS3 and enjoyed it a lot. I played a HOT Pixel demo on PSP. Hopefully I'll make progress today and play more games, but I have a few other things to do.

I finished DDS 2 yestersday. That was one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It only left my PS2 disc tray once when Persona 3 came out. Except the final dungeon bosses were some of the hardest non-optional bosses I've ever played in a game.
I'm also 4 hours into Persona 3. I can't believe how well they merged an RPG with a school simulator.

Everyone should play cave story. I love this game. Contra meets metroid with a hint of gradius (leveling up weapons) with colorful, extremely well animated low res sprites. A fairly clever story with a few surprises and catchy, if simple, music add to the whole package.

Cave Story has a level of polish typically only seen in classic Nintendo platformers. Spot on controls and level design that predicts the users actions is what sets this apart. On top of that, it's free, and it's been ported to PSP as a tiny 2-3MB download. No reason not to have this on your memory stick if you have custom firmware.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Playing Condemned right now. Not bad at all.
the library
right now).[/QUOTE]

I think you're about half way maybe a little more. I beat the game in 10-13hrs, the end will have you saying WTF? At least it did me. Thankfully Condemned 2 is in the making. :D

Gonna try to finish NBA Street Homecourt (one more Achievement), and then I'm gonna trade it in.

After extensive play, all of the glitches and quirks are becoming unbearable.
[quote name='Liquid 2']Playing Condemned right now. Not bad at all.
the library
right now).[/QUOTE]
I beat it in 8 hours. ;)

I also saw superbad. A little more dirty than I thought it would be, but it was pretty funny. Like 40 year old virgin it basically had a good message/decent plot underneath all the dirty jokes, though. I like that a lot better than the American Pie style teen comedy where everybody just gets laid and does gross things.

I finally have internet and computer hooked up in my room so I was thinking of getting PS2 Online (have fatty) to play Ratchet and Smackdown. Is it hard to set up? How much do the adapters go for?

Finally reached "Lone Wolf" rank in Tekken 5: DR Online. I wish I had more time to play it online :(

Just over 200 matches logged on...

playing through gears slowly and just picked up dead rising today for $25, so I'll probably be playing that a little later on tonight.

Just started MGS: TS on the GC briefly tonight. Does the dialouge get less inane through the game or is that just a hallmark of the series, and something you either hate or love?

I would have loved to play mgs: ts, but I was never able to get ahold of a copy. buy from what I remember when I played mgs 1 on the ps1, the text can get pretty crazy at times.

Kameo came from Live Club today, so I put some time into that and got to the point where you're first on horseback. I've also FINALLY played Aegis Wing co-op--makes the game SO much more fun it's ridicolous. Trying to get as much crap as possible in StarForce Leo before I head to the final area.

This coming week is going to be to be Gaming Sex----I'm picking up Bioshock, Jeanne D'arc, Castlvania: Portrait of Ruin (now at 20 bucks), Crush, and Golden Sun for GBA (eight bucks, never played it before).

[quote name='daroga']Just started MGS: TS on the GC briefly tonight. Does the dialouge get less inane through the game or is that just a hallmark of the series, and something you either hate or love?[/quote]Things start to make a bit more sense as you play through the game, don't worry.

Bought Madden 08 today, picking up Bioshock on Tuesday. Moving on Wednesday.

Madden is great though, I bought 07 and thought it was junk but 08 is hot. Downloaded Super Mario 64 on the VC today as well. Never actually finished it (started it like 3 times).

[quote name='jimfoley16']Bought Madden 08 today, picking up Bioshock on Tuesday. Moving on Wednesday.

Madden is great though, I bought 07 and thought it was junk but 08 is hot. Downloaded Super Mario 64 on the VC today as well. Never actually finished it (started it like 3 times).[/QUOTE]

well, Mario 64 has the most epic plot twist in any mario game...

...you beat bowser.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']well, Mario 64 has the most epic plot twist in any mario game...

...you beat bowser.[/quote]

very epic.

Another slow gaming day for me, since I just played some MotorStorm, tried out the NCAA 08 demo on PS3, and play some Tales of the World: RM on PSP. All I did was beat a few missions. I still haven't opened my copy of Persona 3 or MGS Portable Ops yet.

I have to prepare for class, edit my game preview, and organize the CAG PSN Gaming Group today.

Madden 08 isn't so hot online. My brother bought both Zelda TP and Super Paper Mario for his Wii last week. He's getting really into Zelda so I told him to return Paper Mario and get Strikers for the time being. So he agreed today I'll be playing some Strikers and some Bioshock.

Currently at a loss for what to play. I'm at an impossible chapter of Fire Emblem, half hour into my first playthrough of RE4: Wii, 2 hours into Metroid Prime, halfway through Paper Mario: TTYD, few hours into Killer 7... and I'm thinking I'd rather restart Skies of Arcadia Legends since I haven't played it for over a year. Hooray for Gaming ADD!

Persona won't be in for a week or so, or I'd be playing that.

Boring gaming for me, won't play any 360 games for a few weeks (RROD). Resistance is in the mail should be here tues, now just playin some SSD, xmen legends, and tetris to hold me over till then.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Things start to make a bit more sense as you play through the game, don't worry.[/QUOTE]

don't lie to the poor guy. sure, you can start matching story elements up, but MGS never makes sense :p

Today I'm going to exchange my Elite system, then play umpteen hours of Persona 3.

[quote name='DT778']Kendal you should have quoted the whole thing

" But now I'm ready for D/P, excited and terrified. It's going to eat so many hours of my life."[/quote]

Done. I am now playing through Enchanted Arms and Resistance. PSWii60 FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back