Cyber Sunday's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mykevermin']How'd you score the video for $6 Casey? Lucky used bin find?[/QUOTE]

Most likely. My local Half Price Books lately have had a good amount of used TNA DVDs. I swear there has to be at least half a dozen of the Jeff Hardy one... ;)

[quote name='mykevermin']How'd you score the video for $6 Casey? Lucky used bin find?[/QUOTE]

Local bookstore that sells used DVD's and games. Gotten many a good find there. I got ECW's bloodiest brawls for 8 bucks not too long ago.

As far as game finds go, I nabbed Mega Man X2 and X3 for like 15 total, the Skies of Arcadia:Legends guide for 3 bucks, and a lot of other stuff that while not as good of a deal as those finds were pretty good.

Thanks, Sting. Apparently God's no-compete clause expired with the WWE, so now God's being brought into TNA. fucking dee-light-ful.

Decent show; the James Gang bit was some good ol' Russo work-shoot kinda stuff. The Sabin/Styles match was good, and the prematch interviews good too. Dunno why Sabin sat there like a bitch after the match, instead of hitting Styles with a Buick. He was pissed at the dude before he took his belt; he should be fuming that Styles took his belt.

"Eat me." That's all Sabin had to say, and he delivered it with this cocksure brilliance that shows you don't have to talk for 15 minutes to setup a match. "Eat me." So simple.

I feel the same way. I don't care about your faith, it is nice you believe in God and all but using it to put yourself over is lame. Part of the reason why I thought the documentary part of Sting's DVD was weak was because so much time was devoted to God and not enough to stuff from the past (which is why people bought the freaking DVD).

God I read that about Vito a moment ago too... that's just... wow... Vito is something else these days. All the more power to him, I bet Kanyon buys a copy!

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Vito is something else these days. All the more power to him, I bet Kanyon buys a copy![/quote]

:rofl:

Vito's fanbase will likely grow tenfold with a Playgirl appearance, and if he's released, TNA can claim they have a Playgirl centerfold in their promotion and cater to the gay audience like Antonio Pena did.

Outside of the "main event", I liked Impact tonight. The absence of LAX hurts, but it fits their characters being held down, and could be used to build their feud with AMW. I didn't like the super-fast build towards AJ not only getting an X title shot, but winning it, and then, teasing a breakup with Daniels. That's the kind of thing you can play out over the course of a month (or numerous months) and they plowed through it in under half an hour.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Vito's fanbase will likely grow tenfold with a Playgirl appearance, and if he's released, TNA can claim they have a Playgirl centerfold in their promotion and cater to the gay audience like Antonio Pena did.

Outside of the "main event", I liked Impact tonight. The absence of LAX hurts, but it fits their characters being held down, and could be used to build their feud with AMW. I didn't like the super-fast build towards AJ not only getting an X title shot, but winning it, and then, teasing a breakup with Daniels. That's the kind of thing you can play out over the course of a month (or numerous months) and they plowed through it in under half an hour.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with that, the X-division has been flat out horrible since the end of the Joe, Daniels, and Styles fued and this should give it the kick in the ass it needs. It could also help to elevate Sabin and Senshi into people who actually come off as legit title holders as they came off looking like all they were doing was keeping the belt warm until Daniels and Styles returned (booking and storylines did not help, but the matches have not been very good and that is what is supposed to define the X-division).

Wow, that's strange...I was going to suggest putting in a poll with every wrestling topic from now on. Just a general question, like "best match out of (these)" or "best wrestler out of (these)."

Anyway, Iron Sheik should be the winner without question. Sheesh, what's wrong with you people? If he somehow does win, I want credit for practically single-fucking-handedly reviving interest in him by being the person who posted that "make you humble" video on Youtube.

Well, uh, single-handedly behind the guy who actually did the interview.

But come on, no one knew about that interview until I put it up. Shortly after I posted it, viewcount skyrocketed and I heard people mentioning it everywhere - the sportstalk station out of Detroit has a show in the afternoon that referenced it all the time. Every B-level wrestling journalist (Guttman, GITR radio, etc) started interviewing him to try to get him to say more goofy stuff. Even "Sports Gay" (sic) Bill Simmons talked about it in a column.

Wow, that's strange...I was going to suggest putting in a poll with every wrestling topic from now on. Just a general question, like "best match out of (these)" or "best wrestler out of (these)."

Anyway, Iron Sheik should be the winner without question. Sheesh, what's wrong with you people? If he somehow does win, I want credit for practically single-fucking-handedly reviving interest in him by being the person who posted that "make you humble" video on Youtube.

Well, uh, single-handedly behind the guy who actually did the interview.

But come on, no one knew about that interview until I put it up. Shortly after I posted it, the viewcount skyrocketed and I heard people mentioning it everywhere - the sportstalk station out of Detroit has a show in the afternoon that referenced it all the time. Every B-level wrestling journalist (Guttman, GITR radio, etc) started interviewing him to try to get him to say more goofy stuff. Even "Sports Gay" (sic) Bill Simmons talked about it in a column.

It's only a matter of time before Vince & Co have to realize the Sheik's new popularity and bring him back in for something... hopefully something like Piper's Pit, we could call it Sheik's Humility Corner

Getting paid some big bucks for essentially doing nothing? More power to Vito is all I can say.

It's kind of weird though. I could have sworn Vince had a fit when HBK did that back in the day. I guess times have changed.

Was it just me or did TNA kinda hint that Sting was going to turn heel last night?

As for Vito, more power to him. If it can get him more attention than he has on SD right now, maybe he'll realize how fucked up that gimmick is.

The Honky Tonk Man has signed a WWEhttp://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/2381# Legends deal, which should result in an action figure and probably more in the future. HTM had been holding out for quite some time as he didn't want to sign the rights to his name away. With the signing of HTM, that leaves two past WWE names in which Jakks would like to get a hold off, but are having great difficulty in doing so. Jakks would like to make an atcion figure on the late Owen Hart, but his widow wants absolutely nothing do with WWE, let alone pro wrestlinghttp://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/2381#. Also, Jakks wants to make a deal with "Macho Man" Randy Savage, but for some reason, WWE won't allow them to sign him as they want absolutely nothing to do with him.

I wonder if he really did f*ck stephanie mcmahon...

TNA wants AJ Styles as the centerpiece of the X Division, which is why Chris Sabin's title victory at Bound for Glory was ignored on Impact last week. Russo is high on Styles and believes the move to prime time is a good time to reestablish Styles on top of that division.

This explains why the sudden title change last night.

Also Zen, what the heck are you talking about?

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I wonder if he really did f*ck stephanie mcmahon...[/quote] Say wha?? I hadn't heard that before.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Say wha?? I hadn't heard that before.[/quote]

I read this on one of those lists of wrestlings biggest scandals, rumors, etc... it said that Randy Savage may have had sex with an underaged Stephanie McMahon. I take all those rumors with a grain of salt of course, but some have proved to be true, such as Sheik being offered $100,000 to break Hulk Hogan's legs.

I honestly believe the reason Savage has been black-listed from the WWE is because of his relationship with Hogan, not Stephanie, but who can tell.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I read this on one of those lists of wrestlings biggest scandals, rumors, etc... it said that Randy Savage may have had sex with an underaged Stephanie McMahon. I take all those rumors with a grain of salt of course, but some have proved to be true, such as Sheik being offered $100,000 to break Hulk Hogan's legs.

I honestly believe the reason Savage has been black-listed from the WWE is because of his relationship with Hogan, not Stephanie, but who can tell.[/quote]

Yeah. I have a feeling Vince would have done more than just black-list Savage if that happened.

[quote name='2Fast']Doesn't Hogan really want to reconcile though?[/quote]

I remember they talked to Hogan when Miss Elizabeth died about Savage on WWE Confidental. Hogan sounded like he didn't give a damn if him & Savage ever got on good terms again.

All of you guys keep talking about that shoot Iron Sheik did but I believe you are forgetting who the king of horribly embarrassing/hilarious moments is.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9clRpVbYZw8&mode=related&search=[/MEDIA]

Not to mentino one of the best heels in the business.

That sucks... Hogan and Macho Man used to come to the Toys R Us down here on Christmas and buy a hell of alot of toys for some charity event they used to do, or donate to... I don't know all the specifics but I know they would drop a few thousand every time.

Macho Man used to come into the Best Buy where I worked, as well... he was extremely quiet, and the woman with him always used to talk for him. He wouldn't do much more than just nod his head.

[quote name='Roufuss']Macho Man used to come into the Best Buy where I worked, as well... he was extremely quiet, and the woman with him always used to talk for him. He wouldn't do much more than just nod his head.[/quote]

With that voice, I think by now he can only manage a few sentences a day.

Some sad news about a wrestling legend passing away, from the Observer site -
Sputnik Monroe, one of pro wrestling's real characters during from the late 50s through the early 70s, passed away this morning.

Monroe was a headliner in many territories, and was best known in Memphis, where he and Billy Wicks set an attendance record that lasted until the Monday Night Wars boom period.

Monroe had faced health problems for years.

He was something of a figure in Memphis cultural history. During a period where all public events were segregated, he, as the biggest draw at the time, refused to perform unless Blacks were allowed to sit in any seat at the Ellis Auditorium. At the time, at wrestling matches, as well as any public events, Blacks were being limited to sit in what was at the time known as the "colored" section.

He worked mostly as a heel and was known for being flamboyant and for his gift of gab.

Oh, and JBL led to Tully Blanchard quitting already. He bitched him out for giving him shit back when JBL was breaking in, and Tully decided not to take his shit and just quit.

I'm sorry but wtf just happened on Impact... Sabin who's face just won the title last week and now he drops it to AJ getting heeled in the process? No no no... it needs to be the other way around... Sabin should have won, had Styles get pissed off and attacked him with a chair or something. DANIELS should have went on to win the whole damn tournament and gotten his first ever NWA champ run, setting up another AJ/Chris rivalry this time with AJ hopefully as super heel. I don't understand this "swerve" if you will. I'm gonna go ahead and say... even though I've only seen 1 or 2 episodes of Russo's writing... TNA was much better before this godboy came back. Let's hope he doesn't ruin LAX, Joe/Angle, NAO/AMW, and the various other fueds that have potential right now.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I wonder if he really did f*ck stephanie mcmahon...[/QUOTE]

I've heard that theory, and all I can remember is that they gave Macho Man a nice send off on Raw when he left. He had only been announcing at that point, and went out of their way to point out that Macho Man was working his last night on a Raw back in 93-94.

The Stephanie theory would only hold true if they found out well after Macho Man left. Truth be told, I'd prefer not to think about it at all.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Oh, and JBL led to Tully Blanchard quitting already. He bitched him out for giving him shit back when JBL was breaking in, and Tully decided not to take his shit and just quit.[/QUOTE]

Tully was the blandest dude on the planet who I thought was awesome back in the day. He and Dean Malenko would have the greatest wrestling match ever that nobody on earth would care about.

That sure makes the WWE seem like a great place to work and a company that has its priorities straight, doesn't it? DiBiase, Horner, and Blanchard all going within two weeks? Not that anyone ever cared about Tim Horner, but, it still says a lot about the state of the WWE. They're clearly a mess, and TNA needs to not fuck things up in order to capitalize. If they do, they can (and this may be a stretch) match Raw's ratings by this time next year.

[quote name='Sporadic']All of you guys keep talking about that shoot Iron Sheik did but I believe you are forgetting who the king of horribly embarrassing/hilarious moments is.[/quote]

"You got 21? I got 22."

:rofl:

Is Sabin really a face? He's been acting more like a heel for the past month, and AJ was given the belt so they could have strong X title matches for their primetime slot. Meltzer has talked about the Savage-Steph story, and says that no one he's talked to has ever said or heard that it was true. Given that wrestlers going after underage girls isn't anything new, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, but there's been nothing concrete about that being the case. WWE has retconned Savage out of existance because he's nuts, not because he boinked Steph.

There's a fascinating tidbit in the new Observer about why Matt Bloom now uses the "Giant Bernard" name - it was due to a man named Bernard slicing half of a man's ear off during a match with a 2X4 shot, leaving it dangling for the rest of the match. There's also a detailed description of the original ending to the Foley-Rock I quit match.

Something interesting that a lot of people are not aware of in regards to the "Macho Man fucked Stephanie when she was young" rumor:

Gorgeous George (the chick/wife of Misfits guitar player, not the old guy) said in her shoot that when she lived with Savage, he kept trying to get her younger sister to move in with them. She was underage around the time (I believe she said 15). She then said Savage kept proposing a 3-way. This eventually lead to them splitting. At no time did GG or the interviewer ever mention Stephanie McMahon.

So I still take it with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't shock me if the Steph rumor were true. Vince's nice send-off on Raw seems a little odd, but stranger things have happened.

[quote name='Sporadic']All of you guys keep talking about that shoot Iron Sheik did but I believe you are forgetting who the king of horribly embarrassing/hilarious moments is.[/quote]

Is it just me or did the guy interviewing him look at him like "WTF is wrong with this guy?"

Rock was going to beat Foley down so much that he would then move onto beating up Foley's wife, and Foley would quit to prevent her from being harmed - basically the finish they did at Summerslam this year with Flair. There's also move info regarding DiBiase's firing. WWE wanted him to come out of retirement every now and then (like the legends tag at the PPV), and he didn't want to do it because his spine is so messed up. It was also held against him that he wrote honest reviews of the show, instead of the ones done by the other agents who just wrote what the company wanted.

JBL thanking the Brothers of Destruction for getting rid of Kanyon and DDP cracked me up. Speaking of Angle, he's mentioned in the new Observer as basically becoming the new Jarrett of TNA . TV shows will revolve around him IF he is healthy.

JBL - Poor MVP - he's lost like 18 rhinestones so far. I love JBL!

Angle being the new Jarrett is great news for a huge Kurt Angle mark like me.

Hopefully the match with Joe is a one time thing, Angle loses and says he underestimated Joe and is going to rededicate himself because he has been facing subpar talent over the past few years and needs to elevate his game which then allows the fued to continue after one of them has the strap around their waist.

Edit: LMAO the guy in the background acting like he was going to chokeslam his kid was hilarious.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']JBL thanking the Brothers of Destruction for getting rid of Kanyon and DDP cracked me up. [/QUOTE]

What a shitneck thing to say. He's such a badass tough guy, but you know he's got no opinion to the company other than "one lump of sugar or two, Mr McMahon?" (alright, so that's not an opinion).

You KNOW that McMahon told him to say that, or that JBL was just kissing some ass by saying that. That whole Alliance storyline was just dogshit; it's no difference than the way DX acts now. DDP and Kanyon never got ANY OFFENSE AT ALL on Taker and Kane. Even Undertaker's mule wife got to pin DDP. If Taker was the bad guy, it would make sense (and if the good guy got his comeuppance), but the whole goddamned Alliance storyline was like this: the WCW guy gets humiliated by the WWF guy. I've seen Iron Mike Sharpe get in more offense than DDP and Kanyon.

JBL is a bitch who thinks he's a tough guy. You know, I'd love to slap him in the goddamned face. He's a big dumb hick (well, he's financially intelligent, but he's a goddamned conservative Republican, so you know he's a fucking moron) who would knock the everlovin' shit out of me Blue Meanie style if I looked at him the wrong way. But, if I could get one good poke in the eye in, it would be worth it. fucking sack of shit. At least the Mexicools are off of Smackdown, so he can't make any more racist jokes.

What show was that a few months back where JBL and Tazz singledhandedly ruined the entire fucking match because they wouldn't stop bickering with each other like a bunch of ninnies on air?

That would be during the recent RVD-Booker T match on the Family Reunion show. There's an Observer blurb on why Khali, Daivari, Burke and Terkay were moved to ECW - Hayes had no plans for any of them. Holy Christ, Tatanka is an emo buffalo.

The DDP comment rubbed me raw as well. JBL likes to talk a lot of shit for someone who was at the top of the card for a very short period of time. When he interviewed Bischoff he kept saying we referring to WWE and all I kept thinking was that you were not shit back then (APA was a good gimmick but people were not tuning in to watch because of APA).

DDP > JBL

DDP was a huge part of WCW's glory years, a fan favorite, and a champion in a renaissance of wrestling. JBL was a champion, but during a down period in wrestling, on a show no one watched/cared about. fuck him, he should've left with Faarooq (the better of the pair).

Self high-five.

I just bought the X Division Twin Pack for $20 at Wal-Mart. Damn good price, especially since I was going to buy V1 anyway. Here's what the cover looks like -
xdivision2packuz4.jpg

I think it's just a Wal-Mart exclusive thing, so if you can't find it, you likely won't be out much, since V2 will probably be $15 at Best Buy. I love these TNA multi-packs. Their first one (with Lockdown '05, VR '04, and TP '04) was an incredible value, and this one is a pretty good value as well. There's also a Canada-only PPV three pack with more '05 shows that I hope gets a U.S. release.

I think the Future Shop pack was Hard Justice '05, Slammiversary '05, and Sacrifice '05. The X-Division Vol 2 DVD has the Joe-Daniels match from April's prime time special on it - that match alone makes the DVD worth the money.

God... I have about 5,000 things to hit on here, so bare with me. I'll number everything so I don't go on one long crazy tangent like I always do.

#1. Jake the Snake Promo - damn he was drunk... still not a bad promo, I mean Jake just had that charisma, pity he was a wrestler in the Hulkamania-era and never got pushed any higher.

#2. Why hasn't anyone voted for Superstar Billy Graham? I might just dedicate the next topic to him after Piper takes this one. Graham was the prototype (no not Cena) for Hogan.

#3. I think Cena should've kept the Prototype name & gimmick (not that I know what it was, but I bet it wasn't what he's doing now), oh well.

#4. Savage is easily one of my all-time favorite wrestlers. He was great in the ring, one of the best ever on the mic (right up there with Hogan, Rock, Austin, Vince, Foley, Flair, etc...). In fact I don't think anyone but Hogan matched Savage's intensity during those mid-80s promos. OOOOH YEAH!!!

#5. Did Savage or didn't he (f*ck SMH)? I really think the main reason Savage will never be brought back is because for whatever reason he and Hulk Hogan really did end up like the MegaPowers and now hate each other. I find it very sad that Savage has become what he has become, and the rap album he did just further deteriorates the credibility of a once great man. The fact that Savage was not included in the Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80s dvd, and is not a part of the Hall of Fame despite how big of a program he worked with Hogan and how big of a star he once was (Christ he won the tourney at WMIV) shows me that there's some very deep-rooted hatred within the powers that be of the WWE and Savage will never be back. Much like Double J, only Savage's resume blows Jeff Jarrett out of the water, over the mountains and beyond.

#6. JBL... as a member of the Acolytes he was really just getting a rub from Taker's popularity as a top level guy (be it heel or face), and got pushed accordingly. Then he and Farooq basically adopted Austin's gimmick and the fans ate it up. As a champion, well Paul Heyman put it best when he said that JBL was only champion because Triple H didn't feel like wrestling on Thursdays (or did he acknowledge SD is taped on Tuesdays?) Either way I've always looked at JBL's title-reign as a mockery and tarnishing to the belt. He only held it due to the many injuries on the SD roster and there was just no one else reliable at the time. I do not look at Eddie's title reign, any of Brock's or Kurt's as a joke though, but I don't get why JBL got the strap. When he became JBL instead of Bradshaw his gimmick was a rip-off of Dibiase's Million Dollar Man, and he didn't pull it off half as good. I digress though, JBL is indeed funny today, and we can't re-write history sadly.

#7. Finally, I'll be changing this topic into Piper's topic tomorrow. Would you guys be interested in seeing future topics with polls, or was 1 enough?

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']JBL thanking the Brothers of Destruction for getting rid of Kanyon and DDP cracked me up.[/QUOTE]
Hey, DDP and Kanyon are the shit...

And this one is for anyone who, like me, dislikes ICP (and likes Mike Awesome, too):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWIYxMR-Yk[/media]

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']God... I have about 5,000 things to hit on here, so bare with me. [/quote]

I ain't gettin' nekkid with no one! :lol:

In regards to Cena, I have said in the past that he will soon have to move beyond a musical gimmick. That won't last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back