Dance Central series - Dance Central Spotlight $10 on Xbox One!

They are shortened versions of the songs, have been since the first game. I noticed it in the first game because I used to be a huge Cascada fan and "Evacuate the Dancefloor" was missing a verse.

[quote name='darrenaero']Got a bit if a dumb question, considering this is my 3rd DC game. But are these songs shortened from the regular versions? I created a set list (wish RB3 had a friggin shuffle mode) and noticed that 99% were under 3 minutes. Starships, for example is about 45 seconds shorter on DC3.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I think they shorten it for some songs but not others. I know for a fact that they cut off a big chunk of Closer since that's the only DLC I've purchased, but did not notice any missing parts to the songs on disc for DC2.

Curious, but did anyone get any of the retail DLC songs?

And so far I am loving the game, but goddamn playing this game made me realize all over again how much I hate "Macarena". That truly is one of the worst songs ever.

I'm loving this game too. The story mode is goofy fun. So far that's all I've played, but it's a blast. I'm not that far in, but so far it's a got a great set of songs. And by great, I mean great for a dance game. :)

Oh and I love leveling up to get new outfits, characters and levels. Something I feel that is missing in games these days in rewarding multiple playthroughs. I Just wish I knew how high it leveled up to.

[quote name='eastx']Here's my Dance Central 3 review. Feedback is appreciated. :)[/QUOTE]
Read through it and thought it was a good read. I Think only thing I'd ever ask for in the sequel is just full on 360 rotation to see the dance moves from more then just one set angle during break it down.

Oh and Gangnam Style and Call Me, Maybe confirmed as coming DLC. Also One Direction, more Bieber and LMFAO coming too. I Find Bieber to be the lesser of all evils in that announcement since I can't stand that Gangnam Style song... http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/26/dance-central-3-dlc-to-include-gangnam-style-call-me-maybe-and/

[quote name='eastx']Here's my Dance Central 3 review. Feedback is appreciated. :)[/QUOTE]

That's a great review, it's detailed and hits all the proper points but doesn't drag on too much.
Good to hear someone else finds the "new song available" notification annoying.

As for the Gangnam Style DLC song, I'm (admittedly) excited for it. It's the only song I've experienced, aside from Avicii's Levels song, where everyone in the club lost their shit when the DJ played it. It may be overplayed as hell but man, does it ever have a good beat.

[quote name='GodlyOne']That's a great review, it's detailed and hits all the proper points but doesn't drag on too much.
Good to hear someone else finds the "new song available" notification annoying.

As for the Gangnam Style DLC song, I'm (admittedly) excited for it. It's the only song I've experienced, aside from Avicii's Levels song, where everyone in the club lost their shit when the DJ played it. It may be overplayed as hell but man, does it ever have a good beat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words, Godly and Bardok! For some reason, Co-Optimus' readership (which is very Xbox 360-oriented) just doesn't care about the Dance Central games as much as I'd like. In all the articles we've done on them, there's never been one comment. (BTW, commenting on articles is a very nice thing to do because that's one way that developers and even editors judge the popularity of the articles and site).

'Gangnam Style' is obviously damn popular though. My article about the song coming to DC3 has already gotten 4 times the views of the Dance Central 3 review. Ya win some, you lose some. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to Gangham Style too. Considering the how Harmonix essentially gave us literally EVERY dance craze in the past 5 years 3 to 4 years too late (from the Jerk and Solja Boy to the Dougie). Then again, it's not really that hard to do though, is it? Still it's good to have a must play song at any party with a Kinect and Xbox.

[quote name='eastx']Thanks for the kind words, Godly and Bardok! For some reason, Co-Optimus' readership (which is very Xbox 360-oriented) just doesn't care about the Dance Central games as much as I'd like. In all the articles we've done on them, there's never been one comment. (BTW, commenting on articles is a very nice thing to do because that's one way that developers and even editors judge the popularity of the articles and site).

'Gangnam Style' is obviously damn popular though. My artcle about the song coming to DC3 has already gotten 4 times the views of the Dance Central 3 review. Ya win some, you lose some. :)[/QUOTE]
I'll be sure to leave a comment then. I Know Harmonix is awesome though because me and my friends use to do Rock Band nights and HMXSean once came to visit. He also gave us abunch of free swag. So me and my friends will always support whatever projects they got going.

And I'm still surprised that song is so popular. I'm definitely in the "I Don't get this" camp. Though I'll still get it and that god awful "Call Me Maybe" song as well just for completion sake.
[quote name='DQT']Looking forward to Gangham Style too. Considering the how Harmonix essentially gave us literally EVERY dance craze in the past 5 years 3 to 4 years too late (from the Jerk and Solja Boy to the Dougie). Then again, it's not really that hard to do though, is it? Still it's good to have a must play song at any party with a Kinect and Xbox.[/QUOTE]
Then again I think unless you're having a "Dance Party" every week I doubt people are going to really complain. Me and NONE of my friends know nothing of Dougie before this. Though whenever every few months my friends do have a get together with Dance Central, majority are too drunk after awhile to ask "why isn't this on there?" is what I've noticed.

I finished the story on easy yesterday. Fun mode, but the finale was lame (not the first part, but the part where it doesn't matter what you do). Not a big deal, though. Now I'll move on to just playing songs.

[quote name='crunchewy']I finished the story on easy yesterday. Fun mode, but the finale was lame (not the first part, but the part where it doesn't matter what you do). Not a big deal, though. Now I'll move on to just playing songs.[/QUOTE]
I agree the finale was super lame.

As someone who has been listening to Japanese music since 1999 I have no idea how gangam style made it big in the USA. It's definitely the first Asian song to make it big here. I also listen to Korean music but personally I find it quite difficult to listen to. It's much easier to hear the lyrics in Japanese music so one would think that it would have been some Japanese pop song to first make it big in the USA. There are enough good and catchy Japanese songs out there that one would think one of them would make it to the USA, trust me I know hundreds of catchy Japanese songs.

I am happy for the popularity of gangam style since now if someone catches me in the act of listening to my normal routine of Japanese songs I can just say its like gangam style and everything will be cool!

I am also happy that Nightline did a piece on Korean music and now I definitely feel like the cat is out of the bag on the Korean music industry which works basically the same as the Japanese music industry. They managed to explain in 2 min what would probably take me 30 min. Now everyone knows the Korean music industry exists and it's not a huge secret that only I know about (at least for my area).

I am getting DC3 since I won it in a contest but I will have to wait for it to arrive.

I'm having trouble playing the demo for Dance Central 3. Every time that I start it it only shows the rating screen. It seems like the game freezes at that point. Any tips on what I should do?

[quote name='SaraAB']As someone who has been listening to Japanese music since 1999 I have no idea how gangam style made it big in the USA. It's definitely the first Asian song to make it big here. I also listen to Korean music but personally I find it quite difficult to listen to. It's much easier to hear the lyrics in Japanese music so one would think that it would have been some Japanese pop song to first make it big in the USA. There are enough good and catchy Japanese songs out there that one would think one of them would make it to the USA, trust me I know hundreds of catchy Japanese songs.[/QUOTE]

The production value and humor of the video are a big part, with the distinctive dance being the other key element. I think a lot of modern Japanese stuff is too weird and foreign to appeal to western audiences - most Japanese live-action movies these days are just plain horrible, for instance. And the skinny guys who look like women thing, that's not a big mainstream hit over here either. Gangnam Style is funny and a little weird, but it's not too hard to get thanks to the great visuals, dancing, and sound.

jman - I'd try deleting the demo and redownloading. It's worth a shot, anyway.

Gangnam Style should a lot of fun to play. I wish they'd given us a release date, but I have a feeling this was a reaction to Just Dance 4's announcement (which had a release date), and now they are going to figure out the details.

[quote name='SaraAB']As someone who has been listening to Japanese music since 1999 I have no idea how gangam style made it big in the USA. It's definitely the first Asian song to make it big here. I also listen to Korean music but personally I find it quite difficult to listen to. It's much easier to hear the lyrics in Japanese music so one would think that it would have been some Japanese pop song to first make it big in the USA. There are enough good and catchy Japanese songs out there that one would think one of them would make it to the USA, trust me I know hundreds of catchy Japanese songs.

[/QUOTE]

I used to be huge into Japanese music because of anime. Where they lost me was the explosion of jrock. I was into jpop. So when artists like Ayumi Hamasaki started doing jrock, I kind of left the scene.

Gangnam Style caught on because it's funny with a nice beat. None of the other Korean or Japanese or Chinese stars caught on because they're all trying to be cool. Gangnam Style is this generation's Macarena. If you're foreign, to catch on here, you have to be a novelty.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I used to be huge into Japanese music because of anime. Where they lost me was the explosion of jrock. I was into jpop. So when artists like Ayumi Hamasaki started doing jrock, I kind of left the scene.

Gangnam Style caught on because it's funny with a nice beat. None of the other Korean or Japanese or Chinese stars caught on because they're all trying to be cool. Gangnam Style is this generation's Macarena. If you're foreign, to catch on here, you have to be a novelty.[/QUOTE]

Girl groups like akb48 is what is massively popular, which is happy girl pop music. I don't think that stuff would catch on in the US on a massive level, morning musume tried but didn't make it, though they do release digitally in the US market which is kind of rare for a Japanese artist. I also believe Tsunku once said Morning musume would never come to the USA and they did! Korean music is interjecting itself into J-pop as well. I mostly listen to my favorites these days but I still explore the top 40 once in a while. The long hair on men was really tough to get used to, while it still exists its not as rampant as it was a few years ago. A lot of the male styles are much shorter than they once were so I think it would be a bit easier to tolerate.

Another problem is that A lot of Japanese agencies won't go digital and get their content out there In a legal manner. Most Korean bands have official YouTube channels and you can buy their music on Amazon or ITunes. I just bought a few Korean songs from a popular band on Amazon today! I would have purchased J-pop music in a heartbeat if it was there but it was not so they lost a sale to the Koreans. I don't see this happening for most Japanese artists, or at least the ones I like. Digital is everything when trying to reach foreign fans, we aren't going to pay $70 for a CD of 13 songs, especially when there are 5 different versions of each cd each with exclusive songs.

[quote name='eastx']The production value and humor of the video are a big part, with the distinctive dance being the other key element. I think a lot of modern Japanese stuff is too weird and foreign to appeal to western audiences - most Japanese live-action movies these days are just plain horrible, for instance. And the skinny guys who look like women thing, that's not a big mainstream hit over here either. Gangnam Style is funny and a little weird, but it's not too hard to get thanks to the great visuals, dancing, and sound.[/QUOTE]
Distinictive dance? When I saw the dance originally, all I thought was Apache. I agree with the first part though... The humor is what set it apart from the rest.

I have to admit that my favorite new feature in DC3 is beginner difficulty. :) It makes the songs much less daunting to jump into, especially the harder ones. And it's awesome that we get beginner level with imported songs too.

I wish they'd get rid of all the old characters and make all new ones. I'm a little tired of having the same characters on screen as always.

I wish they'd at least add a bunch of new characters to mix things up. But this is a pretty minor thing. I am really loving this iteration of the game.

[quote name='bardockkun']

Then again I think unless you're having a "Dance Party" every week I doubt people are going to really complain. Me and NONE of my friends know nothing of Dougie before this. Though whenever every few months my friends do have a get together with Dance Central, majority are too drunk after awhile to ask "why isn't this on there?" is what I've noticed.[/QUOTE]

Oh absolutely. People will pick what they like, and Harmonix does succeed in giving everybody something.

So far, my feelings on DC3 are mixed.

I'm having trouble gold starring songs that I was able to do every time in DC2, specifically, Scenario.

In addition, almost every session, my game will freeze at the black screen where it states music downloads are not rated by the ESRB. Usually I have to clear the system cache to resolve the issue which is quite annoying.

When I am rehearsing a song, the game will pause as if the Kinect lost me but I'm right in front of it. It happens more often when I have a move slowed down. It will pause like the Kinect doesn't see me, I'll unpause and work on the move, and it will pause again.

I update the tracking and calibration quite often. I have good lighting in my play space and it is clear.

By the way, I can pop in Dance Central 2 and have no issues in Break It Down mode with the same exact setup.

That is strange. I'm not having any of those issues (well, I can't gold star songs, but that isn't anything new. LOL)! Is there a way to clear the title update? Then it would redownload it. Maybe that got messed up somehow?

I just played some DC3 and very happy songs like Stereo Love made it in, finally good music. Hope the trend continues. When does the first of the new DLC hit?

[quote name='bardockkun']Gangnam Style's been dated. November 27th.[/QUOTE]

Source? Can't find the info anywhere online.

[quote name='eastx']Source? Can't find the info anywhere online.[/QUOTE]
It's from Microsoft retail Expertzone site. Basically they're doing a promo where you get 400 points for posting a pic. of doing that dumb dance pose all the way from now until the DLC is released.

The post is as follows if you want to be first to break the news.

Hey ExpertZone,

I'm officially announcing that Tuesday, November 27th, 2012, will hereby be known as “Gangnam Style Day” here on ExpertZone! To celebrate, we’re giving 400 Microsoft Points to each and every ExpertZone member that participates in an exclusive contest dedicated to this special occasion. But before we dive into the contest’s details, you might be asking, “Why Gangnam Style and why the 27th?”
Let’s start with “Why Gangnam Style?” I’m sure you’ve all heard Psy’s song by now, but if you’ve been living under a rock or just want to relish in the awesomeness again, check out the video here: Gangnam Style by Psy. With over 650 million YouTube views, a number 2 peak ranking on the US Billboard charts, and more parody videos that I could even begin to describe, Gangnam Style has definitely been a huge cultural phenomenon and a hit with audiences worldwide!
Next, “Why the 27th of November?” I’m happy to announce that both the song and the unmistakable dance are going to be available for download via Xbox LIVE for Dance Central 3! That’s right, Harmonix is bringing “Gangnam Style” DLC to the top rated franchise overall for Kinect! Not only will you and your customers be able to learn the authentic choreography, but think about all of the different opportunities everyone will have to impress friends, family, strangers, and more with the exact moves Psy uses!
Now that you’re excited, let’s get you even more pumped by talking about the contest and your exclusive chance to win 400 Microsoft Points! From now until “Gangnam Style Day” on November 27th, upload a photo of yourself doing the “Gangnam Style” dance to appropriate ExpertZone "Xbox Pros" forum thread. You know which dance I’m talking about. Per the picture below, put one wrist over the other and pretend you’re riding a horse (shades optional). Simple! The first 100 ExpertZone members to post their picture will be guaranteed to win 400 Microsoft points, and better yet, you’ll also be entered to win a copy of Dance Central 3 or 1 Year of Xbox LIVE Gold!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']Thanks man! I'm all over that.[/QUOTE]
Their Facebook page also alludes to "Gangnam Style Day" on the 27th, but doesn't have the full blog post like on the site.

https://www.facebook.com/EZXboxVIP

Though I figure we may get possibly further confirmation with Major Nelson announcement for coming weeks.

[quote name='eastx']And here we go:

Breaking: 'Gangnam Style' Dance Central 3 DLC Official Release Date

I very much appreciate the heads up. :)[/QUOTE]
Now I'm paranoid for "breaking the news" on this and been rereading it repeatedly just to be sure that I didn't misinterpret or misread anything. Though it comes out on a Tuesday, which is usual Dance Central DLC day and it makes sense for them to release this ASAP, while that dance and song are still relevant. So, so far everything seems to check out.

Bardok-kun was definitely right about the release date. BTW, if you write for a gaming site, Harmonix is providing DLC codes for 'Gangnam Style.'

Red Worm, yes, DC 2 songs export. I think it's 800 again too. You have to do it through the store menu in DC3.

[quote name='eastx']Bardok-kun was definitely right about the release date. BTW, if you write for a gaming site, Harmonix is providing DLC codes for 'Gangnam Style.'

Red Worm, yes, DC 2 songs export. I think it's 800 again too. You have to do it through the store menu in DC3.[/QUOTE]
Hooray! I Did something good!

Also I dread purchasing that song tomorrow, but goddamn the completionist in me.

I've already queued it up. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight. :) Also wasn't the export 400 points? I can't remember now, though. Maybe it was 800. In any case I did it and it worked fine. I have DC1, DC2 and DC3 songs plus some downloads in one game. Also, you get beginner level added to all the old songs.

Gangnam Style is great! It's not too hard, but is quite a workout. Mind you I'm only playing on Easy so far. I started on Beginner, which may actually be more of a workout than Easy as you do fewer moves, but each for longer stretches. It's a lot of fun. I could only do it 4 times before I was ready for something much less of a workout so went back to DC1's Poker Face. LOL. Yeah, I'm not in the best shape. Yet. :) I'm looking forward to trying it more.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've already queued it up. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight. :) Also wasn't the export 400 points? I can't remember now, though. Maybe it was 800. In any case I did it and it worked fine. I have DC1, DC2 and DC3 songs plus some downloads in one game. Also, you get beginner level added to all the old songs.[/QUOTE]

Did not know that. That kinda justifies the cost in my opinion. Still, I have a ton of achievements on DC2 unfulfilled though...

Haven't had the chance to open the game I got from black friday yet. I'll get to Gangam style eventually.

[quote name='theredworm']So with dc3 being $15 I bit. Do they let you export dc2 like they did with dc1. If so is it 800 points again?[/QUOTE]

only 400 points

bread's done
Back