Dark Souls 3 - Only Embers Remain - The Ringed City DLC: March 28th

Also, I'm not deep into the lore, but is there any obvious relevance of one story to another? Like if I play DS 3 before I really get into 1, is it gonna feel like I missed something? I get a sense of continuity with the whole "only embers remain" theme, but I jumped into 2 with few problems in terms of understanding what was going on.

I'll have to look for Demon Souls. Seen that recommended quite a lot, too, and I'm definitely interested to see where this series came from.
There isn't as much connective story tissue between Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2, what there is is mainly in Dark Souls 1 DLC and the very end of DS2 and in the Dark Souls 2 DLC. So you can pretty easily play those two in whatever order you want.

Dark Souls is its own universe from Demon's Souls, but many of the characters in Dark Souls are direct spiritual successors/equivalents to characters from Demon's Souls. DeS was my first Souls game and is probably still my favorite of them.

I understand hah I work from home too and it seems like 'oh you would be able to game all day' but that is most definitely not the case!

In terms of the controls I honestly do not think they differ pretty much at all throughout all the Souls titles so you should be find bouncing between. Even Bloodborne, although slightly different with the controls still feels like 90% the same. In terms of the story, yeah each has its own confined story experience to follow but with 3 in particular it has so many references and nods back to the first Dark Souls that much of these places and characters wouldn't be as impactful having not played the first. That being said if you are not all that into the lore in the first place it may not be as big of a deal, but I would still say to play the first before the third.
You know exactly what I mean, then! That's just the type of feedback I was looking for though. I'd much rather see the throwbacks as they were first, and then how the devs changed them, like with Old Dragonslayer, etc. Will most likely do it in order, then.

There isn't as much connective story tissue between Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2, what there is is mainly in Dark Souls 1 DLC and the very end of DS2 and in the Dark Souls 2 DLC. So you can pretty easily play those two in whatever order you want.

Dark Souls is its own universe from Demon's Souls, but many of the characters in Dark Souls are direct spiritual successors/equivalents to characters from Demon's Souls. DeS was my first Souls game and is probably still my favorite of them.
That's actually good to know, since I'm only about maybe 3/5ths through 2 (pre-DLC), so if I go ahead and start 1, I may be able to line up the DLCs and still experience the story in the (generally) intended way. Pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and start 1 then. Have to check out DeS more, but will definitely be keeping it in mind.

Thanks for the insight guys; looks like retrying BB is pretty low priority for me atm, haha.

So... I got in a pretty bad car accident the other day. Car is beyond totalled and I am lucky to have gotten out with as little damage as I did. I am pretty sore and beat up right now and so I wanted to start a new game and so I finally booted up Salt and Sanctuary and damn am I really liking it! Feels basically like Dark Souls + Metroidvania x Charlie Murder (gameplay) haha It has me hooked, I played for HOURS without even noticing and I got lost in it very similarly to how I do with all the Souls titles. For those that haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it!

So... I got in a pretty bad car accident the other day. Car is beyond totalled and I am lucky to have gotten out with as little damage as I did. I am pretty sore and beat up right now and so I wanted to start a new game and so I finally booted up Salt and Sanctuary and damn am I really liking it!
Ouch! Glad you are okay. :pray:

Well on the bright side you did discover the hidden gem that is Salty Souls. :D

That game really doesn't get enough praise; it's truly an awesome game and in some ways better than actual Souls games. BTW, give my regards to the Witch when you meet her. JFC she's a bitch.

Would anyone be willing to drop me the dumb covenant drops?  I need the spells and the rings for the trophies.  If you save scum you won't lose the items anyway.  I'll graciously return the favor to others as well!

Just need the 2 endings and rings/spells for the plat.  I don't feel like grinding covenants at all.

Dark Souls III Director Hidetaka Miyazaki Talks DLC; Future Games, Armored Core and Much More

-

There is more to the interview such as the discussion about Nioh and other similar games, but I just chose the DkSIII related Q/As below if anyone wants to solely read those portions.

Q: Will there be any improvement done to Dark Souls III to support the additional hardware power of the PS4 Pro?

A: Currently From Software and Bandai Namco have been communicating on how we should deal with the PS4 Pro. That includes not just whether we’ll support it or not, but also what we should do on a graphics level, what should we do with the frames per second and that kind of things. So yeah, we have been talking about it, but we haven’t yet decided anything officially.

Q: Are you approaching the writing of the DLCs as the end of the Souls series?

A: That’s not actually the case. What we’re trying to do is approaching the big theme from the main games from a different perspective. With a “different perspective” I mean that we’ve been using the painted world as a different perspective in order to describe the main game’s theme symbolically.

Q: Are there going to be more Dark Souls games in the future?

A: Personally, I don’t feel like creating new Souls games, however, I don’t want to completely deny the potential of other developers from From Software bringing back the Dark Souls franchise in the future.

While I’d personally like to end the Dark Souls franchise, I’d still feel sad doing so. While I might not work on Dark Souls games myself, I would bring some of the good things from them, like in-game elements or product development experience to new Dark Souls-like games or franchises in the future.

When I say Dark Souls-like games, they could be dark fantasy-like games with an element of sense of accomplishment due to overcoming difficulties, which is very unique to to the Souls franchise.

Q: Is that because often in Japan a lot of companies tend to make a successful franchise and then they keep making entries in the same franchise forever? 

A: It’s very difficult to answer to this kind of question, but whatever the case, I’m not denying the value of bringing new installments to the same franchise. There are a lot of things that can be polished by doing so, or there could be things that can be accomplished just by bringing new chapters to a series.

I’m not sure about other publishers or developers, but at least From Software believes that all the things that we have learned in past titles can be best reflected in future titles only by working on new franchises and new series.

Q: Should Dark Souls III‘s DLCs be considered like a sequel of the main game, or they are completely separate story-wise?

A: The theme of the DLC is actually independent from the main game. The theme of the main game is actually completed within the main game itself.

Q: Why did you choose the painted world for the DLC?

A: Although the DLC takes place in the painted world, it’s different from the painted world in the original game. The theme of the painted world matches other things we’re trying to do with the DLC, and that’s why we decided to bring the painted world back in that sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZ0InQo1MI

Last edited by a moderator:
New massive update. Biggest thing seems to be the tweaking of Poise... maybe Jodou can stop his belly-aching now ; P

Ashen Ones,

Dark Souls III will be updated to version 1.08 on Friday, October 21st. During the maintenance, the online mode will be unavailable at the timings below:

PlayStation4
JST - 2016-10-21: 10:00—12:00 
PDT - 2016-10-21: 18:00—20:00 
CEST - 2016-10-21: 03:00—05:00

Xbox One
JST - 2016-10-21: 10:00—16:00 
PDT - 2016-10-21: 18:00—00:00 
CEST - 2016-10-21: 03:00—09:00

Steam
JST - 2016-10-21: 17:00—19:00
PDT - 2016-10-21: 01:00—03:00 
CEST - 2016-10-21: 10:00—12:00

Please find below the changes included in this update:

• Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor.
• Improved regular attack animations of hammer category weapons.
• Improved regular attack animations of greatsword category weapons.
• Improved regular attack animations of axe category weapons.
• Improved regular attack animations of fist category weapons.
• Improved the "Neck Swipe" weapon skill animation of scythe category weapons.
• Fixed a bug where strong attacks performed using whips would not deal additional ・damage when fully charged.
• Fixed a bug where strong attacks performed using the Pickaxe would consume stamina multiple times per attack.
• Adjusted the "Onislayer" weapon skill hitbox timings for Onikiri and Ubadachi.
• Adjusted the hitbox timings of the claw category weapon skill "Leaping Slash".
• Fixed a bug where rolling attacks on Astora's Greatsword could not be parried.
• Improved the "Wrath of the Gods" weapon skill animation for Wornir's Holy Sword.
• Improved the "Blind Spot" weapon skill animation for Corvian Greatknife and Handmaiden's Dagger.
• Improved the "Shield Splitter" weapon skill animation for Mail Breaker and Irithyll Rapier.
• Improved the "Wolf Leap" weapon skill animation for Old Wolf Curved Sword.
• The weapon skill of Old King's Great Hammer "Molten Perseverence" will now release lava on both hits.
• Improved the "Darkdrift" weapon skill animation for Darkdrift.
• Reduced effectiveness of rolling attack animations on Gotthard Twinswords while dual wielding.
• Increased effectiveness of the sorcery "Pestilent Mercury".
• Improved the cast animation of miracle "Lifehunt Scythe".
• Increased poison and toxic buildup of the pyromancies "Poison Mist" and "Toxis Mist", respectively.
• Increased durability damage buildup of the pyromancy "Acid Surge".
• Increased duration of the "Warcry" weapon skill.
• Fixed a bug where the player's lock-on target would automatically change even if "Toggle auto lock-on" was set to "OFF".
• Fixed a bug where the leader board for Darkmoon Knights would display incorrect statistics.
• Fixed a bug where the fog wall near Holy Knight Hodrick would sometimes not disappear during multiplayer even after defeating him.
• Fixed a bug where Orbeck of Vinheim would sometimes die before the player purchased all his spells.
• Fixed a bug where Patches and Greirat would never return if sent to steal after defeating all bosses.
• Fixed a bug where female characters were subject to counter damage during certain movement animations.
• Fixed a bug where equipping Vordt's Great Hammer or Irithyll Straight Sword in the left hand would cause enchantments to disappear from weapons in the right hand.
• Fixed a bug where two-handing certain weapons would cause the stealth effect on Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring to not work correctly.
• Fixed a bug where Hornet Ring was not working for claw category weapons.
• Fixed a bug where dash attacks could not be performed using Farron Greatsword.
• Fixed a bug where strong attacks using Lothric Knight Sword were not dealing thrust type damage.
• Fixed a bug where dash attacks using Onikiri and Ubadachi were not dealing thrust type damage.
• Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws.

Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor.
Lol, only took them half a year.

TBH I'm having a blast with Darkest Dungeon and waiting to play Skyrim on PS4 Pro in foooooooooooouuuuur-kaaaaaaaaaaaay. . . :lol:

So I bought the DLC because wolves and after watching the trailer again, I'm actually more excited to play this than I was for the original game lol. Any feedback on poise yet? Did they fix it or can I expect to be staggered from being hit by a fly off some monster's ass?

So I bought the DLC because wolves and after watching the trailer again, I'm actually more excited to play this than I was for the original game lol. Any feedback on poise yet? Did they fix it or can I expect to be staggered from being hit by a fly off some monster's ass?
I have been far too distracted with Gears and Battlefield and misc Vita RPGs and haven't touched this in a long while. I am curious too about the impact that last update actually made. I still haven't bought the DLC but not because I didn't plan on it but rather I kind of spaced about it hahah

I have been far too distracted with Gears and Battlefield and misc Vita RPGs and haven't touched this in a long while. I am curious too about the impact that last update actually made. I still haven't bought the DLC but not because I didn't plan on it but rather I kind of spaced about it hahah
Worth noting you get a free static theme with the pre-order. Not sure it will be offered after so might spur you to jump on it now lol.

Worth noting you get a free static theme with the pre-order. Not sure it will be offered after so might spur you to jump on it now lol.
I have 3 on the X1, but I did preorder it just now regardless haha

I have both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 on both consoles (and Demon Souls obviously just on my PS3) but only have 3 on my X1. I ended up buying it digitally a few weeks before release through the Japanese marketplace

Dark Souls III: Ashes of Ariandel DLC Gets Lauch Trailer: Introduces a New Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpqRlyTtWGI

I still haven't bought the DLC but not because I didn't plan on it but rather I kind of spaced about it hahah
I was hoping to read more about it from others since some of the DLC in the past have been either a hit or a miss. This one seems to be a universal miss.

Static theme?! *pre-ordered*

Dark Souls III: Ashes of Ariandel DLC Gets Lauch Trailer: Introduces a New Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpqRlyTtWGI

I was hoping to read more about it from others since some of the DLC in the past have been either a hit or a miss. This one seems to be a universal miss.

Static theme?! *pre-ordered*
Lol well damn. The previews looked good but if it sucks, meh what new? I'll try to play it tonight to see what's up.

I like the theme but I don't think I'll keep it all that long; not a fan of the music they chose but the background and icons are cool (like a boss trophy case). Hope it was worth the pre-order for you! :)

So either they changed PvP summons or fixed it but I have no idea what's going on anymore. I've been summoned now twice as a Watchdog and each time I've been ganked by a mob of players. First time, I thought the white phantoms were on my team and I was chasing a red player when I guess they all turned on me and killed me in a split second. Second time I was following a white phantom up a ramp as I assumed he was chasing a red phantom only to enter a room where they all jumped me. I honestly don't know what to make of it all but I'm not really surprised people are that bored and are ganking random returning players lol. I read somewhere the PvP arena is unlocked after beating the DLC but meh, the game wasn't really meant for this.

I've made it to the final DLC boss and apparently I skipped the only other boss, and by skipped I mean somehow missed wherever they are, and of course it's a 3-stage fight -_-. Doesn't seem too difficult but I only spent 20 minutes trying to beat it before heading to bed. Didn't exactly strike me as very fun and I might just try to find this other boss instead before moving on.

On the bright side, Skyrim is out tomorrow so cya in a month. ;)

I honestly don't know what to make of it all but I'm not really surprised people are that bored and are ganking random returning players lol. I read somewhere the PvP arena is unlocked after beating the DLC but meh, the game wasn't really meant for this.
That has always been around. :lol: As for the arena, I read it was just the Soul of Cinder area covered in snow. That's disappointing. :???:

That has always been around. :lol: As for the arena, I read it was just the Soul of Cinder area covered in snow. That's disappointing. :???:
Ah OK, so they fixed the PvP summons then because in all my time playing I was never summoned. I actually haven't touched it since playing for a few hours as I've been trying to finish Darkest Dungeon (and by finish I mean actually stop farming and beat it lol). This DLC is so short I should probably just finish it but I kinda lost interest heh.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City Announced, Launches on March 28, 2017; GOTY Edition Revealed

"The new DLC will feature players chasing after the Slave Knight Gael to the literal end of the world as he searches for the Dark Soul of Humanity. 

In addition to revealing the new and final DLC, Bandai Namco also announced Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition, a game of the year-type edition that will include Dark Souls III, as well as the Ashes of Ariandel and The Ringed City expansions. The edition will launch on April 21, 2017 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezosSMzPdNQ

Went back to play a bit.  Started a new character and was caught off-guard by some changing tactics and placements.  Not a big deal but enough to make me pay closer attention than the casual stroll through to get re-acquainted that I expected.

I really want to get back into this game.  Damn backlog.  I'm so close to the platinum, but haven't played since launch basically.  Will be looking for co op buddies at some point :D

Any tips for someone returning from the base game?  I saw that poise was tweaked finally :p

Also wonderig if the new FF version is compatible with the vanlla version.  I'm on the second to the last boss (Nameless King) on my first runthrough and was wondering if I'd lose my saves if I went with the FF version.

I did a quick search and there are some discussions about it but not enough for me to be comfortable with messing around with my game saves.  TIA

bread's done
Back