Dark Souls 3 - Only Embers Remain - The Ringed City DLC: March 28th

Haha, well congrats then. ;)

I really need to get back to playing DS2 so I can get my PvP fix once I get to the dragon covenant. So many good times on that lava bridge. . .

Anyone here playing on Xbox One? There is no thread in the MS forum for this game. I'm right at the end of my first playthrough and am farming the covenant items (ugh - worst part of these games). I could really use some help with the vertebrate shackles. I have a whopping ONE. I'm going to try some PvP tonight but I don't think it will go well. I tried as a white phantom and I'd get summoned and continually backstabbed from the front - highly annoying. I haven't actually tried it as a red phantom yet though. I guess with that you can get lucky and have the host die from other phantoms/enemies and get them that way. I'm not counting on it though. I was doing the white phantom summons as a darkmoon and was expecting to get the covenant items when red/purple/Aldrich phantoms were killed - but I never got anything even when we did kill one.

I heard with a friend you can just use a password summon and kill each other for the mound makers stuff at least.

I also still have to farm for the swordgrass and darkmoon covenant stuff. But the swordgrass drops pretty frequently from the guys by Abyss Watchers. I already have 15 or 16. The Darkmoon items drop rate is crap, but at least farming the silver knights gets you a lot of large titanite shards and souls so I don't mind that quite so much. I have 8 in about 2 hours of farming (using symbol of avarice, the rapier, the ring, and rusted coin).

I have no idea how the Darkmoon or any of the blue covenants work. They seem to always be broken in these games, even in DS 2 on the PS3 when I played that. I have never once been summoned to help while a member of the blue sentinels or darkmoon. So it seems the only way to get those items is to farm.

Vertebrate shackles, though, are an atrocious drop rate off of an annoying and not common enemy. I did several runs through there and didn't get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm almost done with the plat for this game.  Just need to boost rings and covenant items.  PS+ Save Sliming works wonders.  If someone can help me out, I'll gladly do it for others in the future.

I'm almost done with the plat for this game. Just need to boost rings and covenant items. PS+ Save Sliming works wonders. If someone can help me out, I'll gladly do it for others in the future.
I wonder if there's a way to do this with the Xbox. I only got this on Xbox because some of my Destiny raid group was going to get it - then they didn't. Otherwise I would have played on PS like I did with all the other games.

i have it on the xbone and the PC.  My xbone is fairly low level but now my son wants to use it all summer since most of his friends have one.  Wanted the PS4 before but now I've reclaimed that.  Kids....anyway, feel free to HMU if you see me online on the xbone.

Anyone here playing on Xbox One? There is no thread in the MS forum for this game. I'm right at the end of my first playthrough and am farming the covenant items (ugh - worst part of these games). I could really use some help with the vertebrate shackles. I have a whopping ONE. I'm going to try some PvP tonight but I don't think it will go well. I tried as a white phantom and I'd get summoned and continually backstabbed from the front - highly annoying. I haven't actually tried it as a red phantom yet though. I guess with that you can get lucky and have the host die from other phantoms/enemies and get them that way. I'm not counting on it though. I was doing the white phantom summons as a darkmoon and was expecting to get the covenant items when red/purple/Aldrich phantoms were killed - but I never got anything even when we did kill one.

I heard with a friend you can just use a password summon and kill each other for the mound makers stuff at least.

I also still have to farm for the swordgrass and darkmoon covenant stuff. But the swordgrass drops pretty frequently from the guys by Abyss Watchers. I already have 15 or 16. The Darkmoon items drop rate is crap, but at least farming the silver knights gets you a lot of large titanite shards and souls so I don't mind that quite so much. I have 8 in about 2 hours of farming (using symbol of avarice, the rapier, the ring, and rusted coin).

I have no idea how the Darkmoon or any of the blue covenants work. They seem to always be broken in these games, even in DS 2 on the PS3 when I played that. I have never once been summoned to help while a member of the blue sentinels or darkmoon. So it seems the only way to get those items is to farm.

Vertebrate shackles, though, are an atrocious drop rate off of an annoying and not common enemy. I did several runs through there and didn't get one.
This guy. Lol, figured you were dead or something. ;)

This guy. Lol, figured you were dead or something. ;)
Oh it's you. Yeah, the usefulness of this thread just went to crap ;).

I have a friend on Xbox One who I think will help me with the shackles. I tried some more PvP last night and got one of them from that at the area outside the Pontiff bonfire. I got summoned as a purple phantom and as I was trying to find the host, a red phantom killed him and I got the shackle. So yay I guess. I just have no idea how to put together a PvP build. It seems everyone I try to fight has one-shot super weapons and mine, even though they are upgraded and infused, take 5-6 hits to kill someone and I can never get that many in before they back off to heal and then inevitably get their one super-shot in.

Oh it's you. Yeah, the usefulness of this thread just went to crap ;).

I have a friend on Xbox One who I think will help me with the shackles. I tried some more PvP last night and got one of them from that at the area outside the Pontiff bonfire. I got summoned as a purple phantom and as I was trying to find the host, a red phantom killed him and I got the shackle. So yay I guess. I just have no idea how to put together a PvP build. It seems everyone I try to fight has one-shot super weapons and mine, even though they are upgraded and infused, take 5-6 hits to kill someone and I can never get that many in before they back off to heal and then inevitably get their one super-shot in.
Yeah, the PvP balance for this game is totally out of whack with quite a few one hit kill weapons via riposte and with poise being changed for the worse it becomes a "who struck first" scenario. You could always try the Dark Blade if it hasn't been nerfed to hell yet since it is super cheese and all you need to do is land an attack to stun-lock over and over. Another popular one is the Dragonslayer Swordspear, but you'll need to beat Nameless King for it. It has a built-in spell that catches most people off-guard by dropping a lightning bolt on their head and is semi-hard to dodge but can be blocked (not many shields absorb lightning well). There was also a slide in honor for PvP that I noticed, with maybe half of the people I'd fight healing first so I'm sure you're having to deal with that as well.

All in all, I went back to DS2 for my fix. Been having a blast with it on PS4 and checking out the DLC I skipped over last year. :D

Yeah, the PvP balance for this game is totally out of whack with quite a few one hit kill weapons via riposte and with poise being changed for the worse it becomes a "who struck first" scenario. You could always try the Dark Blade if it hasn't been nerfed to hell yet since it is super cheese and all you need to do is land an attack to stun-lock over and over. Another popular one is the Dragonslayer Swordspear, but you'll need to beat Nameless King for it. It has a built-in spell that catches most people off-guard by dropping a lightning bolt on their head and is semi-hard to dodge but can be blocked (not many shields absorb lightning well).
Ah, that riposte thing - that's the backstabbing from the front bullshit I guess. It used to happen in DS2 a lot but it was lagstabbing back then - where someone was in front of you and then all of a sudden they were behind and backstabbing but because of the lag you never saw it coming. Maybe they fixed that though - I only played DS2 right when it first came out.

I have beaten every boss except the final one so I have that spear. I didn't notice the spell though - I'll check it out. And I'll see if I have Dark Blade and check that out too. At this point I should have pretty much everything that doesn't require a boss soul (as I'm still trying to see if I can get spells/miracles/pyro done before NG+ before I use them). And I could get the boss ones too if needed. That's the flip side of why I haven't just gotten all the spells/etc - I wanted to see if there was one particular weapon from that group that was OP.

I've been using an Astora's Greatsword with Chaos infusion and the Drakeblood Sword levelled up to 9. Both are great for PvE.

Dark Sword was the first +10 for me. It is pretty great! Basically, it is a standard sword that has the hitbox and moveset of a greatsword... But obviously takes less stamina. People try to roll away from it and can be stunlocked rather easily.

I'm a PvE only guy, but I like to co-op with a friend frequently. When invaders come in I don't care what is considered fair. Plus, dropping a seed of the great tree is hilarious when the invader attempts to lure/trap.

Jodou said:
You could always try the Dark Blade if it hasn't been nerfed to hell yet since it is super cheese and all you need to do is land an attack to stun-lock over and over.
Did you mean Dark Sword like the post afterwards? I maxed out a Dark Sword and heavy infused it for the strength modifier. I didn't notice any stun locking or big hit box. In fact, I went up against one guy that was hitting me with something repeatedly and clearly not making physical contact. His swings were a good 3-4 feet away and I was getting hit.

Then I took on another guy and I hit him twice, took half his health, and then he did some pyro attack where he like reached into my chest and did 1000+ damage for an insta-kill. What the freaking fuck was that!?

I did pick up a few more shackles - but both times it was while I was waiting my turn to go one-on-one with the host and another phantom took him out first. It seems there is a lot of this Fight Club stuff going on where the host summons multiple people, and they all sit and take turns doing one-on-one battles either with the host or each other. So I suppose I could eventually cheese my way to 30 of them by waiting and seeing if other people kill the host. But god that is boring - though not as bad as farming for the concord items. Holy hell that is mind-numbing.

Did you mean Dark Sword like the post afterwards? I maxed out a Dark Sword and heavy infused it for the strength modifier. I didn't notice any stun locking or big hit box. In fact, I went up against one guy that was hitting me with something repeatedly and clearly not making physical contact. His swings were a good 3-4 feet away and I was getting hit.

Then I took on another guy and I hit him twice, took half his health, and then he did some pyro attack where he like reached into my chest and did 1000+ damage for an insta-kill. What the freaking fuck was that!?

I did pick up a few more shackles - but both times it was while I was waiting my turn to go one-on-one with the host and another phantom took him out first. It seems there is a lot of this Fight Club stuff going on where the host summons multiple people, and they all sit and take turns doing one-on-one battles either with the host or each other. So I suppose I could eventually cheese my way to 30 of them by waiting and seeing if other people kill the host. But god that is boring - though not as bad as farming for the concord items. Holy hell that is mind-numbing.
Use 40/40 STR/DEX and refined gem for better output on Dark Sword. It has amazing high damage for low stamina requirement. If someone rolls away from your attack, you can carefully time your swings and get them into stun lock.

gthirst said:
Use 40/40 STR/DEX and refined gem for better output on Dark Sword. It has amazing high damage for low stamina requirement. If someone rolls away from your attack, you can carefully time your swings and get them into stun lock.
Neither of my stats is that high. I'm more like 30 STR 20 DEX or something like that. I had been putting a lot into END so I could swing more - but it never seems to last long. Also, I can't time shit. My "timing" is that I time my whiff perfectly for the other guy to front-stab me...

Did you mean Dark Sword like the post afterwards? I maxed out a Dark Sword and heavy infused it for the strength modifier. I didn't notice any stun locking or big hit box.
Oops, yeah Dark Sword. As the post above explained, 40 STR/DEX will maximize output with it. Just in case you weren't aware, they 'balanced' this game so that 40 of any primary stat is the damage cap for a weapon, so any points beyond will do nothing unlike previous games where there were soft caps and had diminishing returns. I wish they hadn't changed how stats worked from game to game to game because flipping between them is annoying. I'm still playing through DS2 (Guardian_Owl even stopped by to say hey on my stream :)) and trying to remember the differences between these two games and talk about them is confusing lol. Moreso, each time they added stats or changes it just got worse. Ah well, we can still hope for a DS or DS1 remaster, right? Right??

I did not know about the cap. I checked my stats and I am just at 30 STR and 20 DEX (at level 117). Of course this is not a pure PvP build since I played through the game with the same character, so I have like 30 Faith and 20+ Int to scale my pyro a bit.

However, I tried some more PvP last night and this time used Dragonslayer Spear. I was able to legit kill about 5 people! So that was nice for a change. As long as people don't use that cheap-ass riposte insta-kill I have a chance against them now. Got myself up to 10 for rank 1 at least. I was supposed to have a friend help me cheese them, but he's kind of flaking on me so I just decided to do it myself.

I farmed for a bit of Swordgrass too and was having much more success for some reason, even though my item discovery was the same (358 with crystal sage rapier, the mimic helm, gold ring, and rusted coin). I even got 2 on one run one time.

I guess for the most part my future levels will go into DEX (since it scales better for Dragonslayer Spear).

I suggest getting your STR to 45 and using your raw dark sword then working on other stats.  That way, if you decide to do a heavy build with the Fume Ultra Greatsword (it's amazing), you can equip the Knight Ring (+5 STR) and be set. (Fume has 50 STR requirement).

I'm still conflicted on if I want to keep using the Dark Sword or go to a Fume build for NG+.

As much as DS1 and 2 were better in some ways, I still had a much better time with DS3.  Co-op with friends and passwords just made such a better experience for me.  Bloodborne is still better in almost every way though.

gthirst said:
Bloodborne is still better in almost every way though.
Interesting. I picked up Bloodborne on PS4 a while back during some sale but haven't cracked it open. I suppose rather than trying to get DS 2 for the Xbox One and replaying it there (after getting the plat on PS3 when it first came out) I should try Bloodborne first. Is it pretty much the same type of game with the same structure (bonfire-like checkpoints, enemy respawns, summoning, covenants, etc)?

My friend ended up helping me with the shackles so I got that done, then farmed for a few more swordgrass and finished that covenant off as well. The only one left is Darkmoon - need to get like 15 more proof of concord kept and with the atrocious drop rate from the silver knights that is a chore. I might just go ahead and start NG+ and worry about that later. Though if I do get that done now I can then do all the miracle soul transpositions and finish off that achievement as well (since I just got pyro done). I can't do sorceries till next game since I got the crystal sage rapier for farming (instead of the second option which was a spell).

Is the Fume Ultra Greatsword the one I see in videos where people smash down with a big fire attack that goes along the ground? I saw some videos of people trolling others on narrow bridges with that, as it often knocks them off (and if it didn't they followed up with Emit Force ;)).

Started NG+ last night to get the usurper ending and then I think I'm going to call it quits. I have no interest in farming for the plat. It's been fun, but I need a palate cleanser.

Co-op with friends and passwords just made such a better experience for me.
I love the password system that Bloodborne implemented and it being added to Dark Souls. It makes me free to do what I want and not be restricted to play with friends no matter how high or low level they are.

Speaking of which, I'm still on the pre-fix duplicating patch. I'm going to power level myself for the DLCs in the future. :lol:

Finally got the usurpation trophy and killed that bastard, Nameless King, in NG+. I struggled a little bit on him and still took about 25-30 tries. One thing I noticed about NG+ is that enemies aren't necessarily more aggressive, but they certainly hit a bit harder. The only memorable difference is the incest twins using homing souls a lot more regularly in phase two. I'm not going to go for the plat, so I'm still undecided on trading the game in. Hopefully there'll be a complete edition with the dlc bundled if I do.

You're a trooper, I couldn't touch that game again after playing DS2 lol. I think there was a dropoff of players for it though, ever since the game was on sale I think a bunch of people played but are gone again now. I was trying to find some PvP on the Iron Keep bridge but there were barely ever summon signs anymore. Sigh, guess I'll just move on to MGSV since getting it for $20 on Memorial Day.

RIP Souls, it was real.

You're a trooper, I couldn't touch that game again after playing DS2 lol. I think there was a dropoff of players for it though, ever since the game was on sale I think a bunch of people played but are gone again now. I was trying to find some PvP on the Iron Keep bridge but there were barely ever summon signs anymore. Sigh, guess I'll just move on to MGSV since getting it for $20 on Memorial Day.

RIP Souls, it was real.
Haha...more like stubborn. One thing's for sure, I want to go back and play Demon's Souls again. Is it worth it or is it going to be super jarring since it's quite a few years old?

Haha...more like stubborn. One thing's for sure, I want to go back and play Demon's Souls again. Is it worth it or is it going to be super jarring since it's quite a few years old?
Very jarring given all the changes Dark Souls introduced and far more brutal in terms of punishing. They could still release a remaster but I'd be surprised if they did before a Dark Souls remaster since for many players that was their first game. Servers are still up and running for Demon's though, so it's not like the experience would change all that much. I fired it up not too long ago to see if I was still in the hall of fame for souls collected and sure enough, there I was in the top 10 ha. Plenty of comments littered the floor so people are still playing it as well.

You can't really go wrong with the OG experience. ;)

I still need to get another boss soul or two on NG++ or something for Demon's Souls for the platinum. I had always meant to go back, but just never had the time.

As for Dark Souls III, I had a great farming run of Proof of Concord Kepts and finally finished off all the covenant junk. A couple nights back I only got 2 in an hour of farming (and both came in the first 10 minutes - then nothing for 50). I then got EIGHT in less than an hour the next night. They must have cranked up the drop rate or something.

Anyway, with that I finished off the game (did Usurpation of Fire ending as my first one) and started NG. The one thing I noticed as soon as I got out of the first few areas was that coop summons are nearly nonexistent while invasions are much more prevalent. So that kind of sucks. But I've already blown through about 1/3 of the game in two short sessions. I picked up the stupid Siegward sleep gesture that glitched out for me last game (he didn't give it to me even when I talked to him while he was asleep). I'm working on the last two I missed out on (By My Sword and Proper Bow) and then after that it is just the endings and +1/+2/+3 as well as Patches' rings.

The enemies so far are noticeably easier than in the first run, at least relative to my level. I mean I can tell they are objectively harder, but having strong pyro and leveled up weapons more than makes up for it. I wiped the floor with the initial area crystal monster thing which in the original game I had to come back to much later. And a few others that gave me a real hard time originally (like the fire demon with Siegward and the ice one down below him in the tower) were much easier and I got first try this time. And I've done a few bosses now with just an NPC summon or two since the coops are all gone. Part of the easier time, of course, is just from knowing what to expect.

Tsk, tsk. I killed that crystal thing first thing I did starting the game. ;)

Probably too late but you could have got all three endings without NG+ FYI. Just needed to not piss off the one chick by removing any hollowing and performed the wedding in your first playthrough for the hardest ending, then using a save backup, give the firekeeper her soul and eyes, then use the backup again and get the normal ending heh. I fucked it up by giving the firekeeper those items too soon (thanks to the guide not warning me and being a piece of shit; fuck Prima) so despite getting the wedding ending, it gave me usurper instead. Not like it really mattered since I wasn't going for the plat anyway, but still shitty.

I don't think you can backup the save on the Xbox One though. I tried to access it and I can only delete it. I'm up to Anor Londo in my NG+ now. I found a few more summons by switching back to Sun Bros. I guess there is a wider match range for that covenant.

Hah - so the vicious beast thing on the bridge to Boreal Valley? In the original game that was one of the hardest things to deal with - more so than many of the bosses IMO. In NG+ I fried him almost instantly with 3 chaos fireballs. I was surprised how easy it was. I was fully prepared to just run for it this time and either deal with him in the later spot (though I killed him on the bridge the first time so I wasn't sure where that was) or avoid him again.

I was dreading dealing with the duo down by the Aldrich covenant. But then again, I guess I really don't need to go down there again since I got what I needed from that covenant already. Like I said I already pushed past that and into Anor Londo. I just need to deal with Aldrich now...

No save scumming on XB1? That's really interesting. How are you supposed to back up saves if you get a new system or hdd? By doing it solely on their cloud? F that.

Yeah, NG+ is a lot easier. I only died on the flaming demon in the room with the skeletons, the twins, and Nameless King. I also noticed that you can summon 2 NPC's on a lot of bosses as opposed to 1 in NG.

I also decided to trade it in for Doom. I really need something a lot lighter before I tackle Fallout 4.

Started my 3rd playthrough (for the last rings and the 3rd ending). There are even fewer summon around now, and yet I still get invaded pretty regularly. I actually beat the 2 that I engaged last night (a few others got booted when I went into boss rooms). It seems like people aren't one-shotting me with the front-stab (riposte) any more. I actually survived 3 from one guy before I finally killed him. I don't know what's up with that. Maybe the ones I ran into in the dueling area earlier were all specced out just for that.

I'm around level 160 and just trying to breeze through now. The lack of summons may also have to do with the fact that I'm playing at 1-5 am Pacific in the middle of the week on the Xbox One (but then again: still getting invaded). I actually found a summons at the beginning of the Undead Settlement which was odd. The guy helped me rush through and clear everything out of the entire area (lighting the other 2 bonfires along the way). Then he died at the Cursed Greatwood boss (and so did I but then I was able to solo it right afterwards).

I guess I just burned out on these games because you guys are real troopers haha. I finished up all the DLC in DS2 and the itch was scratched for these games. Sadly all the PvP summons had dried up by the time my build was complete though. Been trying out MGS:V and surprisingly it's super fun; best MGS game I've played I think ever.

I wonder if they'd ever remaster DS or DS1 cuz I'd definitely replay those. . .

I never understood Poise in the other games and understand it even less in this one but I'll take a look at that link. I did finish up my "platinum" (such as it is on the X1) the other day with a pretty quick 3rd playthrough while collecting all the +2 rings. Summons were sparse (I'm around level 160 now) but I either managed to beat most of the bosses solo or with an NPC helper. I did get some human help on a few of the toughies (notably the Nameless King - which though optional, I had to beat to get the gold covetous ring +2).

So I'm completely done with this game now. I may try to play the remastered DS II if it ever goes on sale super-cheap again (this week's Xbox One sale blows). I should probably give Bloodborne a try as I have it on the PS4. Like with the original DS 2, though, I'm not sure I'll ever pick up the DLC (which I assume is coming) for DS III.

Edit: OK, reading that article cleared up nothing at all for me. I guess From hasn't cleared it up, which is the point. Someone in the replies claimed they have it all figured out in Reddit but when I went to that link it was an endless wall of text talking about different testing they did and "hyperarmor" and all kinds of jargon that cleared nothing up whatsoever.

I never understood Poise in the other games and understand it even less in this one but I'll take a look at that link.
It's very simple: poise in every game except DSIII would factor how many times you could be hit before you staggered (aka your character would be interrupted while attacking or moving). Think about how you might be attacking a boss or player and you might take a hit while doing so but NOT be interrupted and could continue swinging away. That is how poise used to work but if you noticed in DSIII, ANY attack you take while trying to move or attack will interrupt you now. This is why Dark Sword and a few other weapons were PvP weapons of choice because they did moderate damage very quickly in succession for low stamina cost. In essence, the player who struck first, wins, because the other person would be stuck in a stunlock and could only escape after a few seconds of being a pinata.

Additionally, poise on a shield would attribute how much stamina was lost in a successful block. Because it was changed, once again in PvP or PvE a shield even as great as Havel's did little to control stagger, as you could block an entire stamina bar from your enemy and be left with nothing or your guard broken. This meant dodging was pushed as the only effective damage mitigation available.

Except they fucked up dodging with iframe invulnerability being very tight and people with good timing could still hit you during a dodge roll. I forget the term they used for this, but the bottomline is PvP was horribly broken and PvE was even more challenging since previous games tended to be more forgiving on dodging. I tried for the life of me to get dodging down in DSIII but enemy telegraphs were so erratic and unless you forced conditions so they only used certain movesets, it could take hours to master dodging a fight and I'm simply too jaded at this point to care for it. I did my time and I still think the previous games were better than this disasterpiece.

Yeah I guess I did have enemies staggering me at times when it didn't seem like they should have.

Yeah I guess I did have enemies staggering me at times when it didn't seem like they should have.
Yeah, anytime they hit me I'd stagger, which is not how it was in previous games. It made it so every single attack had to be clean or else you'd take a hit and stagger. It was in essence their way of strong-arming dodging which I didn't feel added to difficulty, only frustration.

After Bloodborne I feel pretty fine in DS3.  Taking into account that traditional PvP isn't really an intended purpose for invading, I don't think Poise is as big a deal as a lot are making it out to be.

The invaders are simply a hazard.  The PvP isn't supposed to be fair. As an invader, you're basically just trolling and trying to kill the host before they reach a boss zone.

The only problem I have really with DS3 is the covenants.  They are poorly integrated and not nearly rewarding enough.  That and the ridiculous grind added to the Platinum.

Other than that, I find DS3 to be right up there with Bloodborne for best in series.  A majority of that is due to the ease of actually getting to play with friends.  This was an absolute chore in previous games.  Even Bloodborne's odd system of summoning wasn't perfect.

Bloodborne's style, bosses, and lore were much better in every regard though.  The weapons were much more unique and special.  Also, it was nice choosing a weapon/play style and being able to invest everything into it without finding a clearly better version of the same weapon later.  It wasn't a huge problem in DS3 though, which allows you to respec your character (which bloodborne did not).

So I'll probably start Bloodborne soon.  Any tips for that?  In what ways is it different than Dark Souls?

So I'll probably start Bloodborne soon. Any tips for that? In what ways is it different than Dark Souls?
Much faster paced and not as much gear dependent at all. Get the timing of your dodges down and really work on gun parrying. At first it seemed lame to me and I wanted a more Dark Souls feel but the core of the game really revolves around landing those gun counters to stagger pretty much anything for a visceral attack.

Much faster paced and not as much gear dependent at all. Get the timing of your dodges down and really work on gun parrying. At first it seemed lame to me and I wanted a more Dark Souls feel but the core of the game really revolves around landing those gun counters to stagger pretty much anything for a visceral attack.
Ugh, I hate parrying - could never do it in Dark Souls.

Ugh, I hate parrying - could never do it in Dark Souls.
I made it halfway through BB without using the gun so it's not a requirement. TBH any tutorial on how to use it was lost on me and I can't remember if they even had one. I also never finished the game because I simply didn't like the combat as much as souls games. I would still try it and not let parries worry you.

I made it halfway through BB without using the gun so it's not a requirement. TBH any tutorial on how to use it was lost on me and I can't remember if they even had one. I also never finished the game because I simply didn't like the combat as much as souls games. I would still try it and not let parries worry you.
You can definitely make it through the game without parrying yeah. I went through the first half without ever touching it because I wasn't a fan but then once I started using it halfway through I realized how much the game seemed to built around that ability and was able to more easily take down high level stuff.

Seconded; love Souls, not fond of BB. Just feels a lot clunkier.
Strange, I personally feel like 'clunky' is a word that best describes Dark Souls. Not in a bad way though but more of just the way it is supposed to play. Bloodborne is way faster and much more fluid with its moves and animations I thought.

Both are great, I still of course would agree and say Dark Souls is better but my personal ranking would probably be Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Demon Souls and then Dark Souls 2. So right about the middle ; P

I went through the first half without parrying as well, but once I started using it, it felt like the game really opened up for me. Parrying is fun as hell and really makes taking out the baddies a lot more satisfying. Dodging is also more action-game-like with more i-frames(and more effectiv) as opposed to being kinda wonky in DS3. I'd say that BB is my favorite souls game because everything feels really tight and I like the environments more.

Strange, I personally feel like 'clunky' is a word that best describes Dark Souls. Not in a bad way though but more of just the way it is supposed to play. Bloodborne is way faster and much more fluid with its moves and animations I thought.

Both are great, I still of course would agree and say Dark Souls is better but my personal ranking would probably be Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Demon Souls and then Dark Souls 2. So right about the middle ; P
Honestly that was also an impression I got at first from DS, but I think it grew on me a LOT better than BB. I think I just got built up a lot by the BB hype, and was disappointed when I set my expectations too high. Hearing everyone talk about it so much around here though makes me almost want to go back and try it again, but I haven't even opened DS III yet, and that's a lot higher up on my list.

I'm kind of surprised you ranked DS 2 so low. That was my first exposure to the series, and I have both DS and DS 3 waiting for once I (finally) beat it. So that makes me even more interested in getting to play those 2 at least.

Honestly that was also an impression I got at first from DS, but I think it grew on me a LOT better than BB. I think I just got built up a lot by the BB hype, and was disappointed when I set my expectations too high. Hearing everyone talk about it so much around here though makes me almost want to go back and try it again, but I haven't even opened DS III yet, and that's a lot higher up on my list.

I'm kind of surprised you ranked DS 2 so low. That was my first exposure to the series, and I have both DS and DS 3 waiting for once I (finally) beat it. So that makes me even more interested in getting to play those 2 at least.
Dark Souls 2 was by no means a bad game in my mind, just the others are that much better. The original Demons Souls is just amazing, largely because of what it did. It was so groundbreaking and just floored me the first time I played it. Dark Souls I still think is the sweet spot in the series. The bosses were super original and fun to fight and the world itself was probably the most interconnected map in all the games thus far. As an avid fan of the series, hearing you have so many of the titles in your backlog makes me sad haha call in sick for a week and just play all the games : )

Dark Souls 2 was by no means a bad game in my mind, just the others are that much better. The original Demons Souls is just amazing, largely because of what it did. It was so groundbreaking and just floored me the first time I played it. Dark Souls I still think is the sweet spot in the series. The bosses were super original and fun to fight and the world itself was probably the most interconnected map in all the games thus far. As an avid fan of the series, hearing you have so many of the titles in your backlog makes me sad haha call in sick for a week and just play all the games : )
Haha, unfortunately I work from home, and my girlfriend is around a lot, so it's hard to get a full week to myself; but I get what you're saying. Still, they've been heavy on my radar. I've been straight grinding on DS 2 as well, so I've thought about going ahead and playing bits and pieces of the others, just to switch it up a little bit, but I'm not big on trying to remember divergent control schemes. I would imagine though that being the same series, there's a strong enough similarity between the different games' controls to make them intuitive?

Also, I'm not deep into the lore, but is there any obvious relevance of one story to another? Like if I play DS 3 before I really get into 1, is it gonna feel like I missed something? I get a sense of continuity with the whole "only embers remain" theme, but I jumped into 2 with few problems in terms of understanding what was going on.

I'll have to look for Demon Souls. Seen that recommended quite a lot, too, and I'm definitely interested to see where this series came from.

Haha, unfortunately I work from home, and my girlfriend is around a lot, so it's hard to get a full week to myself; but I get what you're saying. Still, they've been heavy on my radar. I've been straight grinding on DS 2 as well, so I've thought about going ahead and playing bits and pieces of the others, just to switch it up a little bit, but I'm not big on trying to remember divergent control schemes. I would imagine though that being the same series, there's a strong enough similarity between the different games' controls to make them intuitive?

Also, I'm not deep into the lore, but is there any obvious relevance of one story to another? Like if I play DS 3 before I really get into 1, is it gonna feel like I missed something? I get a sense of continuity with the whole "only embers remain" theme, but I jumped into 2 with few problems in terms of understanding what was going on.

I'll have to look for Demon Souls. Seen that recommended quite a lot, too, and I'm definitely interested to see where this series came from.
I understand hah I work from home too and it seems like 'oh you would be able to game all day' but that is most definitely not the case!

In terms of the controls I honestly do not think they differ pretty much at all throughout all the Souls titles so you should be find bouncing between. Even Bloodborne, although slightly different with the controls still feels like 90% the same. In terms of the story, yeah each has its own confined story experience to follow but with 3 in particular it has so many references and nods back to the first Dark Souls that much of these places and characters wouldn't be as impactful having not played the first. That being said if you are not all that into the lore in the first place it may not be as big of a deal, but I would still say to play the first before the third.

bread's done
Back