Dark Souls 3 - Only Embers Remain - The Ringed City DLC: March 28th

To the people that have played it already my cousin and I plan to play the game together as much as possible, can we progress together or do we have to clear areas twice? 

I played solo in the past games so I dont know much about co-op. Also how soon in the game can you summon/join someone?

Thanks. 

You will have to clear areas twice for you and your friend. As for coop, you can buy it from a merchant when you arrive at the hub. Make sure to use password matching to bypass soul level and weapon upgrade parameters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished Salty Souls last night so I'm ready for the main course. It's a sweet little game for what it is, if a bit unbalanced towards the end if you know what you're doing. Highly recommend for souls fans who want even more after DS3 is vanquished. ;)

I've been playing since yesterday and I like this more than Dark Souls II. It's not like the bar was set high for that one.  :lol:

^ That's good considering I felt DS2 was the low point for the series. Still waiting for delivery confirmation so I can rush home and play. ;)

Started as a Pyromancer.  For me it came down to not wanting to play like everyone else and be a knight so it was Pyro or the Thief.  Three glorious deaths in my hour of playing last night.  Twice to the first boss - it has a bit of a long reach.  Second one to the hound.  That is all I will say about that.  About to hop back on.  I'm playing on the PC if anyone else is.

Currently, farming sun medals by helping out people with bosses. Why did it have to be 30 again for the miracles? :wall:*Finished that chore.

For me it came down to not wanting to play like everyone else and be a knight so it was Pyro or the Thief.
Out of the ones I had duels with and helped on the PS4 version, those two are the most picked followed by knight.

Being stuck at work sucks when there's a new souls game out. :p

Didn't make it far last night, still working my way through the first few bonfires because I was farming souls in a certain area. Is it just me or does progression feel slow starting out? They toss quite a few tougher enemies straight out the gate at you which slows things down and give few souls for the effort. Even trying to follow the Prima guide for maps has been an effort because level design has gone more vertical this time (that and Prima didn't do a great job; big surprise).

Also, maybe I'm crazy but did they change equip load? I thought in DS2 they made it include only what you were currently using to factor weight. If so, it's back to including everything in all weapon slots, which I don't agree with. I keep having to equip my longbow whenever I need to pick off ranged targets and from a gamer perspective is stupid. We can magically carry it in our bag of weightlessness but equipping it in a weapon slot suddenly adds to the load even if it's not being used ugh. Hopefully Havel's ring shows up soon-ish so I can just up my equip load again hehe.

Yes on the equipment load.  Noticed that with my Pyromancer and I thought I'm going to have to play without pants so I can roll.

There are still issues with the PC version.  I actually did not have any while streaming last night but as soon as I stopped to make a video to show my son I had a few occurrences of the 0-15 frame rates popping up in random locations.

I did start a knight as well but think I'm back to the Pyro....fire baby....just need to find that ring and be able to carry a few more things.

Yes on the equipment load. Noticed that with my Pyromancer and I thought I'm going to have to play without pants so I can roll.

There are still issues with the PC version. I actually did not have any while streaming last night but as soon as I stopped to make a video to show my son I had a few occurrences of the 0-15 frame rates popping up in random locations.

I did start a knight as well but think I'm back to the Pyro....fire baby....just need to find that ring and be able to carry a few more things.
Without giving spoilers, I absolutely LOVED the 'fire area'
Izaleth
in this game. Getting there feels like you truly found it and then exploring it there is even more of that feeling. Granted now that the online is active and people can leave messages on the ground the secret areas won't be quite as 'secret' which makes me so happy I was able to play without any temptation to read messages and spoil secrets or snag extra help on bosses. I left for vacation right before the last boss basically and am itching to get back and finally beat it for the first of like 100 times haha

Granted now that the online is active and people can leave messages on the ground the secret areas won't be quite as 'secret' which makes me so happy I was able to play without any temptation to read messages and spoil secrets or snag extra help on bosses.
That's another tip, always leave messages. Right now, I have five messages that have achieved gold seal status so I'm getting healed frequently wherever I go. People love anything with ambush tips and including some random gesture in it.

Got to remember to leave some messages.  

Didn't quite understand the 3rd boss the first two times.  That's an odd one.  Anyway, beyond that now.  Went and got "the key" and then got owned going to use it.  I need far more practice before being able to utilize that key.  Got owned twice, hard.  Neither tactic worked.  

I'm starting to see why they're stingy with soul gain early on, because they actually improved inventory management in the way of being able to sell anything to the vendor for a lot of souls. Right now I'm farming a pack of silver knights near a boss location that drop on average 2-3 items per clear that then trade for 300-500 souls per item. Already bought the tower key for 20k souls thanks to that farm spot in like 30 minutes of work. ;)

So far I'm loving it, but I hope the scenery changes it up a bit more in the next section I'm going to because so far it has been all undead and castle grounds. Now to get through the work day again so I can get back to collecting SOULS!

I'm starting to see why they're stingy with soul gain early on, because they actually improved inventory management in the way of being able to sell anything to the vendor for a lot of souls. Right now I'm farming a pack of silver knights near a boss location that drop on average 2-3 items per clear that then trade for 300-500 souls per item. Already bought the tower key for 20k souls thanks to that farm spot in like 30 minutes of work. ;)

So far I'm loving it, but I hope the scenery changes it up a bit more in the next section I'm going to because so far it has been all undead and castle grounds. Now to get through the work day again so I can get back to collecting SOULS!
There are a good deal of undead castle grounds especially in the 'main path' but there most certainly is some interesting and creative environments awaiting you! : P

It irks me that Dark Souls still suffers from phantom hitbox issues in PvE.  :???:

Got through the third main area last night and third boss down. So far the bosses have been pretty unimpressive and pushovers that have been vanquished the first try with no strategy. Not sure if hit detection is off or what, but quite a lot of the time just hugging the boss seems to work to my advantage when their cleaves just whiff over my head. I've had quite a few "well that's hilarious" moments when a sweeping strike just misses me altogether.

Met
the onion knight Seig again
and helped them beat a mini-boss for the item you need to trade to snuggly crow for
Solaire's chest piece (praise the sun!)
. Too bad the item isn't all that great or I'd totally be trolling around in it lol. It's nice they put all the vendors for spells early on so you're not waiting until later areas to pick up what you need. Now I just need to pump my faith up for Homeward to speed up any future farming.

A couple tips for anyone starting out:
Early on there is a dragon that lands on a rampart near a bonfire that will kill the undead there for free souls that you can farm. In addition, you can kill the dragon with a longbow and wood arrows from the Firelink vendor that costs less than 500 souls to do. Just manually aim for his body and wings (there is a damage cap to areas of his body so if he stops taking damage, aim elsewhere) until he flies off. Reason you want to do this is the doorway he's guarding has a mimic chest inside that drops a Deep Battle Axe that you can't find until late game otherwise. This weapon is super powerful early on since it has 103 base attack and 103 dark damage added for 206 total each swing. Upgrading it is extremely easy to +3 as well for ~260 damage combined. Since I got it, I haven't found a weapon that's better for the weight and most enemies are being one-shot by it.

In fact it is so powerful that I found I could just one-shot backstab the Lothric Knights in the area just before the second major boss as a great farm spot. Since it was so lucrative, I'd advise saving up 20k souls and go purchase the Tower Key to unlock Snuggly Crow and the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring that increases soul gain by ~10%. The Ring is in a chest behind an illusionary wall just past Snuggly Crow in the rafters above Firelink Shrine. There are few rings in the game worth having early on and this is one!

Dark Souls III – Patch 1.03.1 Coming This Monday, Packs General Balance Adjustments & Bug Fixes

Dark Souls III – Update 1.03.1 Changelog:

Performance adjustment for “Greatsword”
Battle performance adjustment for “Dancer’s Enchanted Sword”, “Winged Knight Twinaxes”
Performance adjustment for “Soul’s Greatsword”, and “Farron Flashsword”
Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at “Road of Sacrifices”, “Farron Keep”, “Cathedral of the Deep” after clearing the game.
General balance adjustments and bug fixes

I must say the best use of that glitch was the infinite dragon head spitting firebombs. I don't think anything will ever top how hilarious that was lol.

You do know that you don't need to buy the tower for 20k souls right? Just sprint up the tree next to the roof and theres a hidden wall you can go into and trade with Snuggly and get the estus shard and the ring that gives you more souls. There's alot of secret items that you can easily miss, I advise to check out the Souls 3 wiki on Fextralife, really handy to have so you can collect all the cool armor and weapons.

I finished Watchdogs of Farron. That covenant is certainty the most fun I have had playing so far. Now onto Darkmoon and their items.

You do know that you don't need to buy the tower for 20k souls right?
You do if you want the items in the tower.

You do know that you don't need to buy the tower for 20k souls right? Just sprint up the tree next to the roof and theres a hidden wall you can go into and trade with Snuggly and get the estus shard and the ring that gives you more souls. There's alot of secret items that you can easily miss, I advise to check out the Souls 3 wiki on Fextralife, really handy to have so you can collect all the cool armor and weapons.
That sounds like an exploit to get on the roof haha, but I had no idea. It was easy enough to farm the souls so I'm indifferent, but I'm sure others will find it useful. I've been using the wiki here and there for added insight, but mainly (trying to use) the Prima guide.

Finished Farron's Keep last night and Watchdogs will be my covenant at endgame; just love it. I'm sad they nerfed Havel's Ring so badly from the 150% of past games to just 115% but it was pretty damn OP to begin with haha. Not sure how my build will shape up now since I was relying on it to get me past the 70% hump with my traditional Havel's GS and Moonlight GS setup. I'm assuming one of the best PvP armors will be Morne's Set, but not sure my weight will allow it. Guess we'll see. ;)

Finished at 24 hours clocked. Took me half the game to realize that shields were pointless and to just start playing like it was Bloodborne. Worked out.

Incredible game, nonetheless.

I'm not getting much summon defenses for Darkmoon. I think I may have to raise my SL to 20.  :???:

Finally back home from vacation and can play more of this wondrous game!

I am so excited to have online elements to utilize!!!

Also what is everyone using as their main weapons on their first playthroughs?

I pretty much stuck with Uchigatana since the very beginning since you get it right away but also REALLY love the Farron Greatsword. One of my favorite movesets for a weapon PERIOD. So fun to play with and it works so well against mobs and really strong singular normal sized-ish enemies. The way you spin around and behind while hitting them just works so well. Both are maxed out for me and then I have the Black Bow of Pharis as my fallback bow if I want to use it.

I use the Sunlight Straight Sword (SSS) and a fire Longsword. The Oath of Sunlight buff art on the SSS decreases all enemy damage and increases attack. It can also be applied to allies too and stacks with other buffs. Longsword's arts have an excellent guard break and thrust that can handle anything with a shield or rush type enemy. Both are simple and highly effective.

I also use a light crossbow for PvP with that setup. I love it's near instant ram art which gives you an easy riposte since people rush straight-on like idiots. :lol:

Anyone else have random issues where they cannot leave a soapstone or summon people until you restart the game?  I've had that about once per session.

Yesterday I had a hit box issues while helping someone in Crucifixion Woods.  Invader was targeting me with spell and they were way to the side of me, plus I was moving but I was still getting hit.  Finally had to roll to avoid it but the damage was done.

I would not say shield are pointless but you need the right one for the situation.  PvP is a different story.

I started over as I did not like my allocation points.  I will say starting the Road of Sacrifice after being up for 20 hours was not the wisest thing I've done.

How does this game compare to Bloodborne in terms of difficulty?
Very close if not a little easier. The invincibility window on the dodge roll is quite forgiving.

Some of the hardest parts of DSIII are certain groups of enemies guarding boss entrances. They can be run past without issue.

I was using a Deep Axe +4 that I found and upgraded for a while until getting the Wolf Knight's Sword. Let me tell you, a certain boss fight felt so rewarding just cleaving through the crowd with that thing. :D

I'm still a ways off from getting my beloved Moonlight GS, so I'm just making due with what's available til then ehe.

Woah, woah, woah. Did this thing get a nerf today or is it still legit? Can't believe this flew under my radar but if it's still unerfed then I need one. With Crystal infusion it's basically a Moonlight 1H sword with all the benefits except the beam attack. I love it when devs let OP content go live like this because it levels the playing field for PvP a bit while people all use similar builds. Anyone who doesn't subscribe is either really good or gets rekt haha.

Also, fuck mimics; they're harder than most bosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KpkC_YJKI

Woah, woah, woah. Did this thing get a nerf today or is it still legit? Can't believe this flew under my radar but if it's still unerfed then I need one. With Crystal infusion it's basically a Moonlight 1H sword with all the benefits except the beam attack. I love it when devs let OP content go live like this because it levels the playing field for PvP a bit while people all use similar builds. Anyone who doesn't subscribe is either really good or gets rekt haha.

Was planning on starting a Sorcerer run tonight and planned on going the rapier route am tempted to see how that sword fairs... hmmmmm

Was planning on starting a Sorcerer run tonight and planned on going the rapier route am tempted to see how that sword fairs... hmmmmm
It is apparently the best PvP/E 1H sword in the game unless it was nerfed today. It's possibly the best weapon in the game given all the benefits and low weight/stamina cost to wield once maxed out at +10. It's essentially a 1H greatsword sans the reach of one.

Aldritch Faithful covenant is a mad house even at low SL. Seems like the only one that doesn't have issues with summoning. Anyway, I can get the platinum in one playthrough now since I have all rings.  :D

Yes...that first one near the beginning literally ate me for lunch the first time. Better now but they seem to have a longer reach this time. Then again, since we really haven't seen them since DS I could be imagining that. Having two in DS2 doesn't count (my recollection).

It is apparently the best PvP/E 1H sword in the game unless it was nerfed today.
For PvP, it's the Estoc because of huge phantom range, no start-up, and quick tracking. If you equip a knight slayer's ring, then it can quickly break the guard of anyone with a shield plus weapon pierce art. Even the famed Havel Shield falls to it without much effort.

I spent a bit of time testing out the Dark Sword in PvP and I didn't find it very broken, so whatever people are claiming or crying about with the sword are being babies. Connecting with the stance move has a very short range and given latency and all my efforts of trying to land it in PvP; I couldn't pull it off even once. Most everyone is running greatsword setups for the flashy movesets and cleaves anyway, so I took more hits trying to connect than if I had just swung at them out of a roll. Then again, I'm so not used to shortswords so probably explains it.

So I'm realizing that this final game is 50% rehash of old zones and homages to past bosses. Aka they wanted to connect all the games in one final go from a storytelling standpoint and lore, but were lazy on development. I'm actually not having as much fun knowing all the zones I'm going to have to revisit coming up because I majorly hated them the first time through. Just bad memories of tedium, as if the Souls series wasn't already starting to hit that franchise fatigue mark. I still enjoy the gameplay, but revisiting past locations just makes me wish there was new places to go. I swear I'm sick of castle hallways or crypt corridors at this point. I think Farron's Keep is my favorite so far just for the fact it breaks up the environments.

At any rate, I'll still finish it but the jury is out on NG+. I think it's a wise decision to put this series to rest because the series has stagnated at this point.

I personally have not experienced a single ounce of series fatigue with this title, but to each their own!

I was really excited to start a new caster build but looking online it seems that Sorcery and Miracles are extremely gimped and not even a real viable option compared to just Dex/Str...

That makes me sad : (

I guess for me what happens is I go into a Souls game with the mindset of I want X, Y, and Z to complete my build and PvP/E. The problem with that mentality is that I can't quite enjoy the game until I'm to that point because I'm not really being allowed to play the way I love to. Once I get to that point, the game is typically over though because for whatever reason they decide to put the gear I love right near the end of the game.

Now, yes NG+ is an option but recently they make these games so long with annoying areas everywhere that I'm scratching my head to find a reason to play through it again. I never experienced any of this with Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, but these last two games have hit that point for me. All I can chalk it up to is franchise fatigue or frustration with how I'm forced to use what's available until my build comes together. All too often I find myself saying "this would be so much easier if I had X" and it's just not available to me by any means yet.

I love the challenge in these games, but sometimes the challenge is artificial because my preferred playstyle isn't available until late game. And that to me just isn't very fun.

I guess for me what happens is I go into a Souls game with the mindset of I want X, Y, and Z to complete my build and PvP/E. The problem with that mentality is that I can't quite enjoy the game until I'm to that point because I'm not really being allowed to play the way I love to. Once I get to that point, the game is typically over though because for whatever reason they decide to put the gear I love right near the end of the game.

Now, yes NG+ is an option but recently they make these games so long with annoying areas everywhere that I'm scratching my head to find a reason to play through it again. I never experienced any of this with Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, but these last two games have hit that point for me. All I can chalk it up to is franchise fatigue or frustration with how I'm forced to use what's available until my build comes together. All too often I find myself saying "this would be so much easier if I had X" and it's just not available to me by any means yet.

I love the challenge in these games, but sometimes the challenge is artificial because my preferred playstyle isn't available until late game. And that to me just isn't very fun.
I can see that. There are so many awesome weapons in the game though so for me I am fine with whatever. I normally play by just grabbing whatever seems fun early on and then running with it throughout and then my subsequent playthroughs are specific weapon tailored.

Like I said above though it does really stink that magic is so weak. I can relate in that sense (wanting to play a certain way) in that I already beat the game with my Dex/Str build and have just been doing co-op and PvP with it. I was looking forward to starting up again this time with magic to mix it up but was disheartened to see nothing but sadness and complaints online about going on such a route.

Yep, and MLGS build calls for magic use, homing soulmass et al so it's disappointing to see it being weak in general. :(

I'm sure it will be addressed in a future patch along with a heap of other nerfs and buffs. It wouldn't be a Souls game without it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-R3-n5p6t0

Looks like you just have to hit an absurdly high cap of 50+ in INT for Sorceries to be really viable according to online people hah. The video above shows some pretty solid gameplay of a moderately leveled caster build. 

bread's done
Back