Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='urallgyots']amazon reps don't know shit. I remember when there was penny mania going on, I spoke to several different amazon reps and they each told me that none of those penny orders will go through. Needless to say, you can head over to the penny deal thread to get an idea of how much truth there was in that

I pre-ordered this from best buy 1 month ago but I just now looked at my receipt and it doesn't say Dark Souls CE, it just says Dark Souls. Anyone know if best buy pre-orders for Dark Souls is the Collector's Edition?[/QUOTE]

I would make sure, to be safe.

Also, this reminds me of a problem I had with the Davenport, IA Best Buy. I preordered Dragon Age 2 to get the Signature Edition, and since you had to preorder months in advance to get it, it was going on eBay for like $80-90 despite being the same $60 price. Anyway, I got there on release day and someone apparently didn't get the memo and had just put all the SEs on the shelf! Of course they were gone in no time.

I did end up getting the game for $39.99 because of the inconvenience, but still it makes me leery about similar situations now.

[quote name='urallgyots']

I pre-ordered this from best buy 1 month ago but I just now looked at my receipt and it doesn't say Dark Souls CE, it just says Dark Souls. Anyone know if best buy pre-orders for Dark Souls is the Collector's Edition?[/QUOTE]

The only pre-order that shows up in our kiosk and system is the CE, so you should be good. On the Dark Souls website, Best Buy is listed as a retailer that will have the CE for pre-orders, but I guess we'll both find out. I'll check our inventory system when I work tomorrow to see if there are 2 different SKUs. If not I'm still not worried about it, I'm just freaking excited to play the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xspeedracerx']Doesn't come with large fries. Preorder canceled.[/QUOTE]

It does come with pie and coffee though, just not the large fry. And to think that is coming back on television.

Back to the topic at hand - I put in my preorder this morning. Cannot wait.

[quote name='daren']Ps3 collector's is back up on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I grabbed the last one. :)

FWIW this may not be pointed out but if you get the 360 version Party Chat and Private Chat are disabled while playing the game.

[quote name='imatwork']I pre-ordered the xbox version a few months ago but I just recently got a ps3. Im thinking of canceling my xbox order and going for the ps3 version because of the amount of d-pad use in this game. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ShockandAww']Get the PS3 version[/QUOTE]

Agreed. All system arguments aside, the PS3 version is the only platform of the 2 that has an established base of veteran Demon's Souls players.

And believe me, there's a whole lot of difference between playing with someone who appreciates the game and tries to maximize the experience, and playing with someone who either rented the game or bought it because they heard it was good but they mess around/don't know what they're doing if they happen to not like what they've gotten themselves into.

[quote name='dopehat']FWIW this may not be pointed out but if you get the 360 version Party Chat and Private Chat are disabled while playing the game.[/QUOTE]

Source? Doesn't really matter to much to me since my co-op partner is a friend in real life and we can just do co-op on this whenever I go over to his house or he comes over to mine to play.

There's no officials source on the party chat being disabled, but people are saying it all over in the forums. I'm trying to confirm with Namco and will post back if I hear from them.

[quote name='CGlade']Looks like it's gone again.[/QUOTE]

Funny to see people panicking over a neutered CE of this game. Rather than the artbook, most people would prefer the strategy guide (which they made digital, aka worthless), and the digital download soundtrack isn't much better. If you want a guide, get the Future Press book, I'm sure it will be outstanding. The steel case may or may not be nice . . . but this game ain't worth $60 out of the gate, even with the paltry extras. And for all that, you get a brutal game where you can die 50x per boss to progress. I'll wait till this is sub-$20, just like I did with Demon's Souls . . . and even then, its no big rush.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Funny to see people panicking over a neutered CE of this game. Rather than the artbook, most people would prefer the strategy guide (which they made digital, aka worthless), and the digital download soundtrack isn't much better. If you want a guide, get the Future Press book, I'm sure it will be outstanding. The steel case may or may not be nice . . . but this game ain't worth $60 out of the gate, even with the paltry extras. And for all that, you get a brutal game where you can die 50x per boss to progress. I'll wait till this is sub-$20, just like I did with Demon's Souls . . . and even then, its no big rush.[/QUOTE]

I am a HUGE fan of Demon's Souls, but I have to say I completely agree with this post.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Funny to see people panicking over a neutered CE of this game. Rather than the artbook, most people would prefer the strategy guide (which they made digital, aka worthless), and the digital download soundtrack isn't much better. If you want a guide, get the Future Press book, I'm sure it will be outstanding. The steel case may or may not be nice . . . but this game ain't worth $60 out of the gate, even with the paltry extras. And for all that, you get a brutal game where you can die 50x per boss to progress. I'll wait till this is sub-$20, just like I did with Demon's Souls . . . and even then, its no big rush.[/QUOTE]
Cool opinion bro! I don't think anyone really cares if you buy it now or not though, just sayin.

[quote name='eastx']There's no officials source on the party chat being disabled, but people are saying it all over in the forums. I'm trying to confirm with Namco and will post back if I hear from them.[/QUOTE]

Read this was linked to some producer comment from Namco on twitter. First thing I'm going to try when I fire it up day 1 heh. If MS puts in Skype this fall it may be an easy work around. Thank you Amazon for a new prime trial to make that day one happen.

[quote name='wizzyx3']Was about to order from Amazon but they are oos again!! AHHH!![/QUOTE]

Really? I was able to 999 into my cart earlier so I figured this wasn't going to limited and I cancelled all my pre orders. RAAAAAGE!!!

Everyone complaining about the downgraded CE... you are getting bonus things for the SAME PRICE as a regular game. Regardless of how many bonus things you are getting, it is still a CE. and it is the SAME PRICE as the standard. Stop complaining.

[quote name='testaroo']Really? I was able to 999 into my cart earlier so I figured this wasn't going to limited and I cancelled all my pre orders. RAAAAAGE!!![/QUOTE]

I was in class when I saw it being available but got home and they were gone. Very nice >_

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I am a HUGE fan of Demon's Souls, but I have to say I completely agree with this post.[/QUOTE]

I am a HUGE fan of Demon's Souls, and I completely disagree with that post. Demon's Souls was worth way more than $60 to me, so $60 is nothing for the spiritual sequel.

[quote name='Camwi']I am a HUGE fan of Demon's Souls, and I completely disagree with that post. Demon's Souls was worth way more than $60 to me, so $60 is nothing for the spiritual sequel.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I would gladly spend $60 just for the disc. No case, nothing. I just want the game so badly. So ANY bonus is great to me!

[quote name='fishphoenix']Everyone complaining about the downgraded CE... you are getting bonus things for the SAME PRICE as a regular game. Regardless of how many bonus things you are getting, it is still a CE. and it is the SAME PRICE as the standard. Stop complaining.[/QUOTE]

yea but it would've been much, MUCH nicer if they'd kept everything physical and charged extra for it like atlus did instead of handing out the bonuses to everybody. i know for a fact that everybody who played demon's souls would have gladly payed at least $70 for the physical goodies.

there's no value in downloads and namco didn't give the fans a choice; not separating those who really want the extras and those who don't

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It probably is a "requirement" but when MS saw how well Demon's Souls did, they were probably willing to compromise.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I'm a MS developer and have a hard time believing it's even possible for From to do this. Can't say I know for certain though.

[quote name='testaroo']Really? I was able to 999 into my cart earlier so I figured this wasn't going to limited and I cancelled all my pre orders. RAAAAAGE!!![/QUOTE]

Maybe they sold more than 999 in the span of a few hours? :p

[quote name='ssjmichael']So you'll turn down the metal case artbook and digital guide version which will no doubt resell for well over $60 eventually to just get a regular version that doesn't come with anything else for $30 or less months later

Makes sense....[/QUOTE]
it comes with the game, im not gonna play with the metal case and digital guide, what matters comes on any version, the game disc

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yes everyone who resells anything must be poor. Don't you just love that elitist logic CAG? [/QUOTE]
Elitist? Personally I think selling things left & right just because you're bored/need quick cash is moronic as all hell, not to mention shows you lack a sense of sentimentality.

I've kept all my video game systems & toys from when I was kid, well MOST as I was a dumbass like yourself who'd give games away for chump change when my parents paid almost $100 for them back then. What did I get? The lesson about the value of a dollar as well as how much biker belts can hurt.

I suggest you get a Gamefly account if all you're gonna do is buy a game & beat it before the trade-in price goes down, you save far more money that way & don't make yourself look like an idiot.

[quote name='Camwi']I am a HUGE fan of Demon's Souls, and I completely disagree with that post. Demon's Souls was worth way more than $60 to me, so $60 is nothing for the spiritual sequel.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrolyB593']Agreed. I would gladly spend $60 just for the disc. No case, nothing. I just want the game so badly. So ANY bonus is great to me![/QUOTE]

Agreed on both counts. Well, except for $60...I expect at least a case for the game.

But joking aside...I bought Demon's Souls on launch day (and I am by no means a hardcore gamer) but was immediately captivated by its setting and unique online components...which were EXACTLY what I had always been wanting in a "solo" RPG/action game; you can play the game yourself, but still are aware of others playing with you at that very second.

To that end I knew I wanted to buy Demon's Souls at launch because it was such a niche game, that I wanted to experience the online community for the game at the height of its popularity; the first few months after release and any good publicity.

An example of this is one of the boss fights can potentially turn into a PvP battle, with one player controlling the boss if circumstances are right. This happened to me quite frequently on that level and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, as the months went by and fewer and fewer players where on the servers, the boss more often than not was just computer controlled.

So, IMO, for a game like Demon's/Dark Souls, I get maximum benefit by buying the game at release and enjoying the community for that much longer.

I agree. Demon's Souls is the best game of this console generation, by far. I would happily pay $60 for the standard edition of the game, so the free upgrade to collectors edition is a nice bonus. The extras included with the CE are just that - extras. They don't influence my buying or not buying Dark Souls one bit.

I just cancelled my Amazon pre-order... I'll wait for the CE to drop in price and grab it later. I'm not going to play this game with Namco. They promised a certain type of CE and have now changed it at the last minute. Screw that, I'm out.

I don't see the big deal. It's still a free upgrade to the CE. You aren't paying anything extra for all the extra stuff you're getting.

Doesn't matter if it's free or not... that's not the point. The point is they said the CE would have certain items and now it doesn't. Yes, I know they're still giving "digital" versions, but that's crap.

How can I explain this... it would be like selling the mona lisa to someone, but then shipping them a reproduction instead of the real art. Sure it "looks the same" and can be enjoyed and hung on a wall the same... but it's still not the real thing.

Basically, they gained pre-orders by making promises and now with only a short time before release, they're changing what they promised. I didn't cancel my order because the items are any less "good" (at least depending on your view point)... I cancelled my order because they lied and are trying to make it not be a big deal.

...and since the only voice I have with them is with my wallet... I just told them my opinion.

It still doesn't bother me. If the CE cost extra then I could understand saying the extras aren't worth the extra $10 or whatever. But in this case you can't really say the extra's aren't worth the extra $0.

I haven't really been following the CE, so I don't know what was "promised", but I do remember nobody being really sure for awhile what was digital and what was physical.

I'm certainly not defending how Namco has handled this situation, but this all didn't happen "at the last minute." We've known for a couple months that the original extras changed. Again, I'm not saying people should accept Namco's changes or telling anyone how to spend their money. Let's just try to keep the hyperbole to a minimum.

[quote name='teknomedic']Doesn't matter if it's free or not... that's not the point. The point is they said the CE would have certain items and now it doesn't. Yes, I know they're still giving "digital" versions, but that's crap.

How can I explain this... it would be like selling the mona lisa to someone, but then shipping them a reproduction instead of the real art. Sure it "looks the same" and can be enjoyed and hung on a wall the same... but it's still not the real thing.

Basically, they gained pre-orders by making promises and now with only a short time before release, they're changing what they promised. I didn't cancel my order because the items are any less "good" (at least depending on your view point)... I cancelled my order because they lied and are trying to make it not be a big deal.

...and since the only voice I have with them is with my wallet... I just told them my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Short time? It's been known for a while now, why are you so late to the party? Most of the pre-orders they "gained" have had ample time to cancel over two things going digital.

Wow I was always under the impression Atlus was publishing this game like Demon Souls. I was surprised to hear the guide is now digital only... then I saw Namco and that just made a whole lot more sense. Sigh.

[quote name='teknomedic']doesn't matter if it's free or not... That's not the point. The point is they said the ce would have certain items and now it doesn't. Yes, i know they're still giving "digital" versions, but that's crap.

How can i explain this... It would be like selling the mona lisa to someone, but then shipping them a reproduction instead of the real art. Sure it "looks the same" and can be enjoyed and hung on a wall the same... But it's still not the real thing.

...and since the only voice i have with them is with my wallet... I just told them my opinion.[/quote]
this!

[quote name='testaroo']Sorry but I'm totally confused.
I pre ordered normal version back in May.
But the link in my order detail points to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00542ZQJO/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

So am I getting the collector's version or not?

Also is this item limited or something?
I also ordered specific collector's version and even that links to item not available page. I'm confused.
Why does every version on amazon point to Xbox cover and why is Xbox collector's avail but PS3 version not?[/QUOTE]
you will get the collector's edition. amazon's little note said that ALL preorders will be upgraded to the CE (at least before they became 'not available'). that is in line with what Namco said, as well. you should be fine.

I didn't know that having a physical mini guide and a physical soundtrack made the game better. Hmmm. Interesting.

/sarcasm #smartass

All kidding aside, I've bought Demon's Souls 3 times. First time traded it due to intimidation. Second time I fell in love with the game. Third time I shelled out the dough for the CE.

Dark Souls is a given day 1 purchase for me. I even paid for the FP Guide. Even if Dark Souls came with a physical guide, I'd still buy the hard back book.

With all the reviews and previews of the game that is out, I don't see how anyone can say this game isn't worth $60. A reviewer on IGN has mentioned putting 60 hrs into the game, and maybe a 1/4 the way through. If any game gives you around 240 hours of great gameplay, then 60 bucks is a steal.

^ The same could be said about any game, really. I might not understand how someone would wanna play Tiger Woods golf for 300+ hours hours, but they exist.

I share your love for Demon's/Dark Souls, though. I've had it pre-ordered for months, and I'm counting down the days until I get it.

[quote name='specialist']^ The same could be said about any game, really. I might not understand how someone would wanna play Tiger Woods golf for 300+ hours hours, but they exist.

I share your love for Demon's/Dark Souls, though. I've had it pre-ordered for months, and I'm counting down the days until I get it.[/QUOTE]

That is true. But if someone is getting 300+ hrs in Tiger Woods, then that game was well worth the money. I didn't mean to imply that Dark Souls is the greatest of the greatest (I mean it is, but I didn't want to imply that lol). I know some people will not enjoy it as much as you and I, but looking through my fanboy goggles, Dark Souls is easily worth the money, and I'll put a shit ton of time in it.

The most time I've ever spent on a game other than an online shooter or maybe a retro Mario game is Demon's Souls and I have about 100 hrs in it. I even cheated to get all the trophies, and still put that much time in it. I love that game!

There's still the quality of the entertainment to consider. Only evaluating a game based on the time you spend with it isn't revealing. Some people with addictive personalities might spend all day pulling at the handle of a slot machine. They spent $100... Another guy spent $100 and got a 5 minute lap-dance. Who had the better experience? Who will remember the way they spent their $100 for longer?

Now with Dark Souls, I'm certain it will be a quality experience from beginning to end, but I'm just saying... there are many rubrics for evaluating a game's worth.

The cancellation posts are hilarious, as if we care. It's pretty obvious you're only fueling them coming back in stock so that they can sell out in a matter of hours.

I decided to place an order for the PS3 CE at Best Buy yesterday because I have a couple of RZ certs as well as a GC. Anyways, even if the CE contents changed, I'm just glad that it's a free upgrade and that I don't have to spend more as opposed to getting the standard version.

[quote name='teknomedic']Doesn't matter if it's free or not... that's not the point. The point is they said the CE would have certain items and now it doesn't. Yes, I know they're still giving "digital" versions, but that's crap.

...and since the only voice I have with them is with my wallet... I just told them my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I understand the whole "pride" thing I really do... But they are not going to miss you, or your $60. There are plenty of non-emo ds fans who are just waiting for pre-orders to come back in stock. So really you're just helping someone else out, which is cool.

[quote name='Jodou']The cancellation posts are hilarious, as if we care. It's pretty obvious you're only fueling them coming back in stock so that they can sell out in a matter of hours.[/QUOTE]

They really are amusing

bread's done
Back