DayZ mod for Arma II, Actual Zombie Survival

[quote name='BrentronD']
Couple Ways to lose zombies:
Run into a building (run upstairs)
Swim through water
Esc > Abort > Disconnect > OK (when you spawn back, zombies are cleared from immediate area)
Get them stuck on trees or fences (hit or miss)
Get in a vehicle.[/QUOTE]

Do NOT swim away from zombies. Zombies can swim and will attack you in water. Also and more importantly you have a random chance to drop your gear while swimming. I've seen people loose everything they had (full inventory, weapons, and backpack) with a 2 minute swim.

You can however go back and pick up those items in the water where they dropped, trusting you can find them and Arma didn't "lose" them.

I'd also like to add bushes to the trees or fences, I find that the bushes work best out of the three (in 1.7.2.4 currently)

good luck.

Sorta hoping WarZ has smoother movement (mapping?) for controller support. Keyboard and mouse is fluid, but I prefer to use a controller for shooters. Put a little time into the mod and have enjoyed my time.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ugh, beware of some pretty nasty graphic bugs in the latest patch. I got crazy artifacting that made my game unplayable.[/QUOTE]

oh no, hopefully its updated soon

[quote name='Scouter']all i found were cans of soda and bandages today. someone must have taken all the guns in the town. :([/QUOTE]

I was making a little pile of them in the woods. Sorry :mrgreen:

[quote name='Chase']Sorta hoping WarZ has smoother movement (mapping?) for controller support. Keyboard and mouse is fluid, but I prefer to use a controller for shooters. Put a little time into the mod and have enjoyed my time.[/QUOTE]

I kinda hate myself for being excited for WarZ (I definitely don't buy that they were in development before DayZ was), but the game looks good and dare I say it appears to go beyond DayZ's scope.

Have not been playing DayZ as of late. Love the game, but dislike all the nuances. Every time you gain something new it's added stress ("I can't die now cause I have";RandomItem;"now so I gotta be more cautious"). Did any of CAG manage to get big group going in DayZ?

[quote name='dejeckt'] Did any of CAG manage to get big group going in DayZ?[/QUOTE]
not that I know of, ill send you a FR on steam. was hoping the steam group would be a get together, but to no avail.

If anyone else wants to group up, lemme know. Seems like this game not only needs some coop, but you need a big group, as it seems other players are forming huge clans now. And hopefully having a large party would relieve the stress, as we can guard your body until you respawn.

[quote name='shosh']not that I know of, ill send you a FR on steam. was hoping the steam group would be a get together, but to no avail.

If anyone else wants to group up, lemme know. Seems like this game not only needs some coop, but you need a big group, as it seems other players are forming huge clans now. And hopefully having a large party would relieve the stress, as we can guard your body until you respawn.[/QUOTE]

I've found larger groups tend to add to the stress. There's no real way to identify friend from foe so if you do spot someone you're more likely to hesitate so that you're not going to shoot one of your friends. That extra second or two of hesitation can cost you. I think a four person group is a good sweet spot though.

Last time I was in a large group (6 of us) someone wasn't paying attention to myself stating which building I was exiting and shot me in the chest with an enfield. lost my alice + kobra + all essential gear because someone wasn't paying attention in teamspeak :/

[quote name='shosh']not that I know of, ill send you a FR on steam. was hoping the steam group would be a get together, but to no avail.

If anyone else wants to group up, lemme know. Seems like this game not only needs some coop, but you need a big group, as it seems other players are forming huge clans now. And hopefully having a large party would relieve the stress, as we can guard your body until you respawn.[/QUOTE]

I be up to join in on some. So far I've been just playing alone just so I can get use to everything. Been avoid the cities and just hitting up small towns and deer stands. The only thing is I can't right now. Steam updated itself on me the other day and for some reason went to hell. It's forced me to do a clean reinstall, no back ups or anything. So I'm still in the process of re-downloading the games.

Had my first experience with hackers last night. Ran into a group of people at the airfield who had the AS50s with the thermal scope on it.
Later some guy spawned a truck right next to himself. A few minutes after the whole server was bombed and everyone died.
Pretty annoying since I was pretty geared out and go out of my way to stay alive and safe in this game.
I let the admin of the server know but I doubt anything will come of it.

[quote name='solidus_00']I be up to join in on some. So far I've been just playing alone just so I can get use to everything. Been avoid the cities and just hitting up small towns and deer stands. The only thing is I can't right now. Steam updated itself on me the other day and for some reason went to hell. It's forced me to do a clean reinstall, no back ups or anything. So I'm still in the process of re-downloading the games.[/QUOTE]

not sure what your steam name is, but
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Decrot

I've been playing a female char lately and I swear, i survive 95% of encounters now.
I was rolling with 2 other guys last night, they spared me and we just hung around each other. 15 mins later I hear gunshots over a wall. I crawled under it to see the two guys dead and about 5 bodies littered about. only 1 guy was still alive and when he saw me, he totally spared me and i moved along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing a lot of Arma 2 Free with my brother recently.. including a zombie map that required no mods... The more I played it, the more I realized how great of a game ARMA 2 is. Got the CO from a fellow CAG.

DayZ is awesome. It really appeals to my inner hoarder/loner. Pain in the ass trying to get to friends or people you want to play with, though.

Great games, Lunatic and Stallion. Sure got a bunch of loot. And better not trust me with a gun in real life, haha.

[quote name='BrentronD']Great games, Lunatic and Stallion. Sure got a bunch of loot. And better not trust me with a gun in real life, haha.[/QUOTE]

LOL, that last part where there was a zombie behind me and i didn't know it. scared the living hell out of me. :cold:

Ok so what is your opinion on the best way to lose zombie aggro in the bushes? I had a hard time tonight losing zombies in the bushes.

Also found a crossbow tonight before I died. That is a sweet weapon, plus you can reuse the ammo.

I made out like a bandit last night. I got lucky and got a server all to myself for a couple of hours, and while it was night in game the lighting effect made everything look black and white, so I could see everything and barely be seen by zombies. So I got to go everywhere with no problem and got to raid some big cities and a airport. The server did have a couple of glitches where it didn't save some of my loot on me, I quit and rejoin a couple of times while I was trying to figure out where to go next.

In the end I ended up with a tent, binoculars, a map, compass, couple of bloodbags(wish they didn't require someone else to use) other medical stuff a fucking lot food & ammo. And finally got a new backpack in the form of a Alice. Unfortunately thanks to the glitches mentioned above I lost the CZ 550 I found little disappointed about that and the matches which makes those meat steaks I harvest a little hard to swallow:lol:

Alright, planning to have another Day Z night tonight at 7PST/10EST. Hop in the CAG DayZ Group chat around that time on Steam. Or just post in here, I'll keep my eye on the thread around that time.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. If I had known this I would have brought my laptop home from work. Do you guys play Day Z often? I'd love to get in on this if possible.

[quote name='BrentronD']Alright, planning to have another Day Z night tonight at 7PST/10EST. Hop in the CAG DayZ Group chat around that time on Steam. Or just post in here, I'll keep my eye on the thread around that time.[/QUOTE]

yea ill join, where are you at anyway?

[quote name='BrentronD']Alright, planning to have another Day Z night tonight at 7PST/10EST. Hop in the CAG DayZ Group chat around that time on Steam. Or just post in here, I'll keep my eye on the thread around that time.[/QUOTE]

Aww crap! WHERE ARE MY HEADPHONES?!?!?:lol:

Alright, had a really fun time tonight. Meeting up, running into the Cherno market only to get shot at, sneaking out the back and getting lost in the woods. Phew. I'll try to hold another night where we can get together (most likely Wednesday nights, get over that hump day).

Alright, I'll try to hold another night tomorrow. I'll do it around the same time, and probably the same server US 1726

[quote name='BrentronD']Alright, I'll try to hold another night tomorrow. I'll do it around the same time, and probably the same server US 1726[/QUOTE]

Yo,
I was the chick char playing last night. shouldn't you establish a meeting place in game to newcomers? especially when we're kinda far inland now.

I'd be down to play tonight.
I just recently died (Hacker- [4th in a row]

Just tell me whereabouts to meet you guys.

Also, do you all use vent or teamspeak or something?

I'm currently wayyyyyy north near one of the airfields. Let me know where you guys want to meet so I can possibly start early if I have to and make my way down, that way people aren't waiting for me.

Argh I typed out a story earlier but it logged me out and didn't post it.

How many people play on CAG night? I play with two others and it's already hard enough both keeping track of eachother, much less keeping the loot fair/flowing. I mean, three people (or more), and that's a pure 100% more per-person of food/water/ammo/guns you need.

[quote name='Rhett']Argh I typed out a story earlier but it logged me out and didn't post it.

How many people play on CAG night? I play with two others and it's already hard enough both keeping track of eachother, much less keeping the loot fair/flowing. I mean, three people (or more), and that's a pure 100% more per-person of food/water/ammo/guns you need.[/QUOTE]

well playing last night, most of us were already pretty geared, all of us had some sort of gun and food/water. whatever needed to be consumed, more food/sodas are usually very easy to come by (personally my pack is stocked with consumables).

I'm interested in playing. I don't have any friends that are into this and still need someone to show me the ropes a bit.

My experience so far has been me spawning, finding a pistol, then seeing another player who I hope isn't going to shoot me...then I die. I did manage to loot a body last night and ended up with an awesome silenced sniper. And the inventory system still confuses me.

**edit** I'll be on tonight around 7pm EST

[quote name='Droogs']I'm interested in playing. I don't have any friends that are into this and still need someone to show me the ropes a bit.

My experience so far has been me spawning, finding a pistol, then seeing another player who I hope isn't going to shoot me...then I die. I did manage to loot a body last night and ended up with an awesome silenced sniper. And the inventory system still confuses me.

**edit** I'll be on tonight around 7pm EST[/QUOTE]

A silenced sniper? That may be a hacked/script item... I dunno. Don't worry though, it's totally okay to use it. Just not to "create" it. Or maybe you mean a silenced M4, which is completely legit. Nice find, though!

If you don't manage to play with them, you can add me on steam and I can at least answer all your questions. I play with only two others... I dunno if I could enjoy playing with a big group. (Steam ID: Rhett816)

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Or maybe I'll just pretend like I'm going to, get the info on the meeting spot, slaughter everyone with my silenced MP5 and steal all your beans. :D[/QUOTE]

And then there's that guy on the hill, following the group a ways back, just waiting to kill you (with his shiny sniper rifle). :lol:

we haven't had problem with loot so far. pistols have been left on the loot pile, because everyone has a side arm already. we're having a lot of bad luck with backpacks though.

[quote name='BrentronD']Alright, I'll try to hold another night tomorrow. I'll do it around the same time, and probably the same server US 1726[/QUOTE]

Count me in. That will be around 10 EST correct? Do we have a meeting place yet? Right now I'm in the market in Chernogorsk.

Before I forget, I've been meaning to ask this for a while now. Is any one else having a problem with Day Z Commander lately? For some reason it does not work well with my wireless router in the fact it kills the internet most of the time when I use it. It's not a case of the commander hogging bandwidth, since when it happens it fails to ping any servers. It only happens when Day Z Commander is operating and tends to continue for a minute or so after it closes. Then everything is fine. For the record my computer is hooked to a direct line from the router so it isn't just the wireless signal. And I know it's the router because if I plug the computer directly into the modem(which is usually what I have to do) everything is fine. It's weird. It didn't do this until a couple of updates ago.

Second problem I'd encountered last night was it completely forgot game directories for everything for no reason. It suddenly stop working and highlighted the version button. When I clicked on it couldn't find the Arma II Beta or Day Z even though nothing changed. When I clicked on settings I noticed the directories where empty. I figured that was weird since nothing had been changed but I figure I simply add the locations back in and everything would be fine, except it wouldn't take them. I type them in, hit save, exit, go back into settings and they be blank again. The only way I could get it to work again was uninstall the commander, go through the computer and remove everything that it left behind, including the registry files. Verify the game files in steam, then reinstall commander and everything then worked fine. While I do prefer using Commander over the Six Installer, the dam thing just seems to like messing with me :lol:

I'll hold another meeting tonight 7PST/10EST most likely on US 1726.

As for Day Z commander, the only problem I had was that it hung up once while downloading the ARMA 2 update. But after a quick restart of the client, the download went through just fine. Mine also is able to query the master server list and bring up all the servers just fine. From what I read, there doesn't seem to be any ports to forward for DayZ Commander, I assume it'd just be the default ports associated with ARMA 2. But with my router WRT54GL (with Tomato firmware), I didn't have to forward anything (UPnP is on, though I doubt ARMA uses that). Try uninstalling Day Z commander and reinstalling. But it really looks like you narrowed it down to a conflict between your router and either Day Z commander or Dayz/armaII

As for meeting place, we'll just call out where we spawn in and find somewhere in between. The group from last night all logged off west of Zelenogorsk.

note: I had to update ArmAII today through dayz commander, so some of you might want to do that before tonight.

bread's done
Back