[Dead again :'(] Secondspin.com 20% off all used AND free shipping

cranguy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
NOTE: This deal seems to toggle between dead/alive depending on whether SecondSpin is advertising on the Howard Stern show at any given time.

Update 6/18: Coupon is dead, long live the coupon!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This is why it's called HEYNOW...and not HEYFORALITTLEWHILE ;)[/quote]

This deal is alive again with the code HEYNOW (thx TimTucker)

www.secondspin.com has a coupon HEYNOW which will give you 20% off anything used on their site (video games, CDs, and DVDs) PLUS free shipping. Enter the code on the last page of the checkout.

I buy a LOT from SecondSpin and its sister site Wherehouse.com (both owned by Transworld/fye, share the same stock) and I can tell you this is one of the best coupons I've ever seen from them. They often offer 20% off or free shipping, but I've never seen both.

Wherehouse actually had a similar code last week, but it was only good on CDs and DVDs. I was going to post that in the DVD Deals, but it was already 11 pm on the day that it expired, so I figured it wouldn't help many.

Also, if you've never ordered from SecondSpin/Wherehouse, know that their used items are almost always complete and in excellent condition. They are strict about what they accept, which is why I order so much from them. Also, customer service has always been very good to me.

Is the 1-3 week shipping accurate or is it actually much faster? Not that I'm in a real hurry, but after taking care of my credit card issues, I got an e-mail today saying they're shipping and it takes an estimated 1-3 weeks.

I got a similar email today, too, imacgod. I ordered Gitaroo Man PSP a little while ago, and at the time it said there were 3 in stock. Given the great savings, I can certainly wait, but I'm surprised that I just now got an email regarding the actual delivery timeframe. Since the site has gotten good reviews from fellow CAGs, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, it's great to hear of a site that sells used games in really nice condition.

My first order arrived today - placed it on the 14th. To my surprise it was shipped via FedEx Saver shipping instead of media mail - no wonder it was so quick.

The games were also in wonderful condition. Only some slight scratches on Baten Kaitos 1, and Origins looked like it had just been unwrapped. I was quite impressed.

And damnit, this deal really needs to die. I just tossed in another order for some older PS2 games. Agh!

I ordered Blue Dragon, Bloodrayne 2, Advent Rising, and a few really cheap cds. I'll wait till i get my order to see what the condition of the items are in before placing another order, but those were some pretty good prices.

Got Xbox Fatal Frame II and Halo 3: LE. Fatal Frame has some scratches, Halo 3 is beat to hell, the discs were off the spindle and bouncing around the case (a known problem with LE packaging). Emailed secondspin and they're sending me out a replacement H3. Wish I was still in San Diego, they have (had?) a secondspin store there, I'd much rather pick up a replacement in the store than chance the vagaries of FedEx.

Meh, my experience has been somewhat tainted by the fact that my copy of Red Faction 2 for GCN came in a generic DVD case with no manual.

After sending them this email:

I recently placed an order with your site (order #XXXXXXX). I received my order today, and for the most part was pleased with the items, with the exception of the Red Faction 2 game for Nintendo
Gamecube. The item is missing its original box (has been placed in a generic DVD case instead of a Gamecube case, which is a problem since a Gamecube disc is *much smaller* than a DVD and it simply does not fit well in the case) and also missing the game's instruction manual.

How can i return/exchange this item for something else or (if nothing else is wanted) a refund? I'm sorry about my particularities, but I ordered from you with the understanding that the items would include all the original "liner notes" (read: manual) and "specialized packaging" (read: Gamecube specific keep-case).

they replied with this:

Thank you for contacting SecondSpin.com.

We do not guarantee games to come with the original box and the manual.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not want the RED FACTION II from your order #XXXXXXX.

You are welcome to mail this item back to us for credit upon receipt.
Just send it back to:

SecondSpin.com
Returns
2230 E. Carson St.
Carson, CA 90810

Your Return Authorization Number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

We ask if you could please write the order number on the outside of the
package and include a printed copy of this email to help our check-in
team. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Melody
Customer Service

Dunno... seems like they established that games would only be accepted with all the necessary items, and this should only be sold with them as well. Any thoughts?

[quote name='zenintrude']Meh, my experience has been somewhat tainted by the fact that my copy of Red Faction 2 for GCN came in a generic DVD case with no manual.

After sending them this email:

they replied with this:

Dunno... seems like they established that games would only be accepted with all the necessary items, and this should only be sold with them as well. Any thoughts?[/quote]

That's sounds like a load to me.... I'll be pissed if I don't get original manual and cases with the games I ordered based on trading with them in the past.

I just got my order of Rogue Galaxy in and the disc was in mint condition as was the manual. The game case was in great condition but the cover art got messed up at the bottom because it was sliding down.

Would anything good happen if I complained about the cover art? $1 refund or something?

Just got my Saints Row… Its a bit scratched up, light scratches yes… dunno if they effect play yet. Have not been able to use it.

-Owl

I just got Lego Star Wars II, Tomb Raider: Legend, and Crackdown... They're all in amazing condition. No visible scratches on any of the discs. The Tomb Raider manual has a slight tear on the edge and a couple rough corners but other than that they're in perfect condition. I'm going back for another order right now!

[quote name='briandadude']It is using "heynow" as the promotion code.[/quote]

alright thanks. wasn't sure how long it was lasting since the original sale only lasted for 2 days. this kind of sucks. now im tempted to buy even though i shouldn't haha

[quote name='urge26']That's sounds like a load to me.... I'll be pissed if I don't get original manual and cases with the games I ordered based on trading with them in the past.[/QUOTE]

Sent another email in response to the last one...

Hello again,

I know that you, individually, have very little to do with this and probably have very little ability to do any more than you have already done, but I still want to clarify some things. Additionally, I would appreciate it if this would be forwarded to a manager and a response provided.

- Before ordering from your website, I (as a responsible consumer concerned for myself) made sure to check your policies regarding the quality of goods you dealt in, and nowhere is there a mention of the practice to "not guarantee games to come with the original box and the manual." Other sites, such as Gamestop.com make this very clear by stating "This is a preowned video game. It is guaranteed to work on your GameCube video game console and may not include a box or instruction manual." However, your site makes no claims and I had to rely on your "Store Policies" and "FAQ" pages for information, which lead me to see...

- The fact that, by and large, your policies deal with the concerns surrounding the completeness of (music) CDs. Still, there are several policies that are applicable here:

"Q: Do you buy CDs that are not in a jewel case?
A: Yes, but we require both the front booklet and back insert along with the CD."

If this is your policy for CDs, then a rational person would see this as analogous to Video Games as well in which "the front booklet" equals an instruction manual and "the back insert" equals the case artwork. Why is this level of quality not maintained for your games?

"Q: When you ship CDs without the jewel case, do I still get the liner notes?
A: Yes, front and back inserts are included."

This further clarifies my argument that all original materials should be required to be included with a Video Game as is your policy with CDs. This includes the case artwork AND the instruction manual.

"Games must include any related accessories (such as special controllers, etc.) and specialized packaging (i.e. Game Boy cartridge holders)."

This is in regards to my complaint that Gamecube Video Games should be sent in *Gamecube* cases, and not in DVD cases because they are not the same physically. While a Gamecube keep-case is specially designed to prevent debris and dust/dirt from collecting under it due to its smaller disc compartment, a standard DVD case does not provide the same protection given the much larger size of a standard DVD when compared to a Gamecube disc.

I appreciate that you provide your customers with a "Store Policy" and "FAQ" page so that they can better understand the products that you deal in, however, unless you update these pages or change the *internal/functional* policies on what is acceptable in regards to your *stated* policies I feel that you are not providing a fair service to your customers. Also, because your policies are at the least ambiguous and at the worst misleading, I don't feel that I should be charged for the return expenses I would incur in sending back an item that I feel is not in line with what I ordered. I must insist that I be reimbursed via my credit card for not only the cost of the item, but also the cost of shipping the item back to you.

Thank you for your time and I will await a reply.

[quote name='zenintrude']Sent another email in response to the last one...[/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding me.

They sell used items, some come in better condition than others. If you are so particular you should not be buying used games to begin with.

I received my Wii Plays today and they are like brand new, even included the box that the Wii Remote comes in with you buy Wii Play brand new

[quote name='briandadude']You have got to be kidding me.

They sell used items, some come in better condition than others. If you are so particular you should not be buying used games to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Did you even read my arguments? The whole point is that they make every attempt to explain their commitment to quality, and then they back down on that when it comes to games in specific.

Do you see me complaining about light scratches or a bent manual cover? No, I'm attempting to bring to light fundamental inconsistencies in their policy and practice. If they didn't make these claims and have these policies, being "so particular," I probably wouldn't have bought from them, just as I don't buy from Gamestop.com.

They sell used items, some come in better condition than others. If you are so particular you should not be buying used games to begin with.[/QUOTE]

If I buy from Gamestop or ebgames, I wouldn't expect anything but a beat-up disc in a generic case which is why I never buy from them. I'm a bit anal and I keep my stuff in good condition, so I really don't like missing or damaged material. Gamefly is nice because I know the case and manual will be good. I've sold to secondspin once in the past and felt their policy was strict and some CDs and games I didn't send in because I didn't feel they were good enough to be accepted. Based on that experience, I'll honestly be disappointed too if the PGR3 game I ordered comes as a scratched disc w/ no manual in a generic case...

$73, ordered halo 2[$38], Dead Rising[$23], two Daft Punk CD's[$16], and a Sudoku PSP game[$10]. :p
I was looking for a deal on Halo: went to eBay, cheapest I could find it was $30, and those auctions looked ... iffy. I've always wanted to play DR [ZOMBIES!], and I've needed a portable sudoku game ever since I sold my DS, heh. Whoever updated it, the promo looks like it's from the Howard Stern show - nice catch!
Especially to the guy who posted Halo 3 was $37.xx there for the LE - I had the $50 one in my cart initially, heh.
We'll see how it comes through, but thanks for posting.

You should not be buying use games from _______, is more accurate. Secondspin.com has a policy as to what condition traded in items are accepted. I'll be pretty upset if some of the stuff i order doesn't come with case/manual, this isn't Gamestop i'm buying from.

Just named KMFDMs Extort and Nihil albums for 3 and 6 shipped. Wishing they had more variety in music along the lines of what I'm looking for, but eh.

Anyone have any clue on how long the coupon will last? I would have sent my trade-ins via 1st class rather than media this week if I knew there was still an opportunity to save. I'm eyeing an used PS3 game that would drop down to about $30 for me after coupon and credit. Thanks

[quote name='georox']Just named KMFDMs Extort and Nihil albums for 3 and 6 shipped. Wishing they had more variety in music along the lines of what I'm looking for, but eh.[/quote]

My thought too. Wish it was with wherehouse.com, which has more of a variety. But still a pretty good deal especially due to shipping.

[quote name='sml_mndz']does their games come wit artwork & instructions?[/quote]

My orders came with everything and in excellent condition too. I am very satisfied.

[quote name='sml_mndz']does their games come wit artwork & instructions?[/QUOTE]

See my posts in the previous page... (hint: not always, despite most claims otherwise)

2351338420_08a1b475a8.jpg

2351338586_e24bb97495.jpg

As you can see, I was less than pleased with my copy of Red Faction II.

Here's their latest email... telling me to go to some website and print out a manual myself. Clearly they don't *get* the point of the thing, especially ironic since part of their claim to fame is dealing in "collectible" CDs and DVDs:

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this with us.

It's feedback like yours that helps us to determine what the next
improvements to SecondSpin.com should be. I have passed your comments on
to the appropriate people.

We recommend visiting the following site where you can download a
replacement instructions manual:

www.replacementdocs.com

Please feel free to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Meredith
Customer Service
www.SecondSpin.com

I've ordered from them before and everything is usually in good shape, but they have sent me damaged, defective, and incomplete games before. About half the time, I don't get a Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox case, I get a generic one. My most recent order (using this coupon) arrived today and one of the three games is missing the manual and the other two have damaged boxes. The condition of their games are certainly better than Gamestop, but they don't seem to be as strict with trade-ins as they claim.

[quote name='zenintrude']See my posts in the previous page... (hint: not always, despite most claims otherwise)

2351338420_08a1b475a8.jpg

2351338586_e24bb97495.jpg

As you can see, I was less than pleased with my copy of Red Faction II.

Here's their latest email... telling me to go to some website and print out a manual myself. Clearly they don't *get* the point of the thing, especially ironic since part of their claim to fame is dealing in "collectible" CDs and DVDs:[/quote]
you should call their customer service line... if they have another item available they will gladly send you a free replacement.

My games came yesterday and are in good condition. Disc, box, manual. All there. One of the boxes is a little worn and one of the discs is a little more scratched than I expected (but still much better than what I would get from a place like GS). Worth the good price imo.

does anyone know if the coupon stacks? i mean, if i order three games in one order, will the coupon apply to all three games or just one? thanks

[quote name='BigA12989']does anyone know if the coupon stacks? i mean, if i order three games in one order, will the coupon apply to all three games or just one? thanks[/QUOTE]

i ordered 3 games, 1 dvd, and 5 cds, coupon works for entire order.

[quote name='myjester2112']My thought too. Wish it was with wherehouse.com, which has more of a variety. But still a pretty good deal especially due to shipping.[/quote]
Wherehouse and Second Spin share the exact same stock (as far as used goes). What's in stock at one site will be in stock at the other. Which is a good thing to know, because they often run different promotions at the same time.

Is it weird that all my orders shipped then all traces of me purchasing them vanished from my bank account, including getting my money back?

[quote name='badramen']Is it weird that all my orders shipped then all traces of me purchasing them vanished from my bank account, including getting my money back?[/quote]
What do you mean? There were some Visa Auth charges placed on your account from SecondSpin, your orders where shipped out, and then those Visa Auths just dropped off and didn't appear on your statement or anything?

[quote name='badramen']Is it weird that all my orders shipped then all traces of me purchasing them vanished from my bank account, including getting my money back?[/quote]

It happened to me too. It'll show back up again in a day or two.

I wish there was a way to see what new things they get in daily. Seeing 70+ games added for Sunday and then clicking on the Just In Games section, there's a list of 800+ games. Is there any easy way to find which games were actually added each day?

edit: The "personal favorites" page helps though for finding specific things.

[quote name='Darklighter']My games came yesterday and are in good condition. Disc, box, manual. All there. One of the boxes is a little worn and one of the discs is a little more scratched than I expected (but still much better than what I would get from a place like GS). Worth the good price imo.[/QUOTE]

Very similar experience here. I've ordered alot of games from them since I found out about the sale. I received my first order, which consisted of Condemned, Viva Pinata, and Dead Rising.

Dead Rising was in great condition, box, case, manual, almost flawless disk.

Condemned had the box, case, manual, but the CD was a little more scratched than I'd have liked.

Viva Pinata had the box, case, manual, and a good condition CD but the front plastic cover had some kind of sticky stuff on there (looked like a label had been there at one point in time). Nothing a couple minutes of work didn't take care of.

All in all, I'm satisfied with my SecondSpin experience. I get decent used games at steal prices (Avg about $15 per 360 game)

Placed another order for more music, andrew bird's Mysterious Production. Too bad they still don't have anything by White Rabbits or Band of Horses.

Just got my order for Mega Man X Collection for ps2 today. Case was in pretty crappy condition, and the disc itself has about 10 hairline scratches. Everything plays perfectly, however, so I won't complain too much. Will switch out the case to prettify things a bit.

I'd probably buy from these guys again if the deal fit the bill.

Hmmm.. I'm surprised the coupon code still works, I haven't heard it mentioned again on Howard 100 or Howard 101 on Sirius (the code "HEYNOW" was being promoted through Howard Stern surprisingly). I haven't heard the commercial for it since last week. Hopefully they'll cut a few HD-DVD prices before it's dead!

I just got my big order in. Out of 10 games, all of the discs were in mint except for SSX3 which had some light scratches. All of the games had manuals, but some of the Xbox games came in black cases. Overall I'm pretty pleased. Secondspin comes close to EStarland, but not quite as good (at least in my experiences). They definately blow away Gamestop who have sold me cracked discs.

[quote name='urge26']They definately blow away Gamestop who have sold me cracked discs.[/quote]That has happened to me as well :dunce:

Hmm, my second order came in today, and it's certainly not as nice of a turnout as the first one was. My Viva Pinata case was cracked, and the disk has the '360 Ring' on it - someone knocked over their console while the game was in it and traded it in. Ratchet and Clank: Going commando also has some serious scratching on one half of the disk - almost like the game was sitting in the middle of some books or cases and was moved around a lot - ugh.

Well, let's hope exchanging items is easy. =\

Got my copy of Mercenaries (GH) for the PS2 yesterday. Very pleased...The disk was in near mint condition w/manual and original case. Thanks OP!

I got my two Wii Play bundles. Both had zero scratches on the disks. One was still wrapped like new. Both remotes work perfect.

bread's done
Back