[Dead again :'(] Secondspin.com 20% off all used AND free shipping

cranguy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
NOTE: This deal seems to toggle between dead/alive depending on whether SecondSpin is advertising on the Howard Stern show at any given time.

Update 6/18: Coupon is dead, long live the coupon!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This is why it's called HEYNOW...and not HEYFORALITTLEWHILE ;)[/quote]

This deal is alive again with the code HEYNOW (thx TimTucker)

www.secondspin.com has a coupon HEYNOW which will give you 20% off anything used on their site (video games, CDs, and DVDs) PLUS free shipping. Enter the code on the last page of the checkout.

I buy a LOT from SecondSpin and its sister site Wherehouse.com (both owned by Transworld/fye, share the same stock) and I can tell you this is one of the best coupons I've ever seen from them. They often offer 20% off or free shipping, but I've never seen both.

Wherehouse actually had a similar code last week, but it was only good on CDs and DVDs. I was going to post that in the DVD Deals, but it was already 11 pm on the day that it expired, so I figured it wouldn't help many.

Also, if you've never ordered from SecondSpin/Wherehouse, know that their used items are almost always complete and in excellent condition. They are strict about what they accept, which is why I order so much from them. Also, customer service has always been very good to me.

[quote name='NoHo']Do the games come with original cases, covers, and manuals?[/quote]

This has been said about 32552 times in this thread if you would learn to read. They usually do, but sometimes it is a plain DVD case.

From what I've seen, I wouldn't count on getting original materials 100% of the time.

My order arrived yesterday, bought Prey, Baten Kaitos: Origins and StarFox Assault.
Both the GamCube games came in stock DVD cases

Other than that, items were in near perfect condition.

[quote name='badramen']Is it weird that all my orders shipped then all traces of me purchasing them vanished from my bank account, including getting my money back?[/quote]

Same thing happened to me. I noticed yesterday that the charges have disappeared from my checking account.

[quote name='Darklighter']Same thing happened to me. I noticed yesterday that the charges have disappeared from my checking account.[/quote]

The charges will come back when they ship your order.
Sort of like the instant $1 charges.

Wow! Customer service with SecondSpin is excellent! I emailed them last night at around midnight and within 6 hours I got a response telling me that they had placed a new order for the same games I had issues with - and they apparently don't even need me to return the defective games I got.

Well, these guys are on my bookmarks for good, now. Excellent experience all around.

I just got in my Gitaroo Man Lives! for the PSP in absolutely mint condition. The case is smooth and scuff-free, the manual looks untouched, and the game mint as well. Thanks for the original heads-up, OP!

[quote name='DesertFox']The charges will come back when they ship your order.
Sort of like the instant $1 charges.[/quote]
I received my order last week. :razz:

[quote name='Teqonix']Wow! Customer service with SecondSpin is excellent! I emailed them last night at around midnight and within 6 hours I got a response telling me that they had placed a new order for the same games I had issues with - and they apparently don't even need me to return the defective games I got.

Well, these guys are on my bookmarks for good, now. Excellent experience all around.[/QUOTE]Yeah, they can be awesome like that! I've had nothing but good experiences with them when it comes to defective items. One time they didn't have any replacements available, so they just gave me store credit without asking for the item back. They treat their customers with an awful lot of trust, which is seldom the case with online stores.

Anyways this deal is especially good for CD's. For anything in the lower price range, the free shipping actually makes this a better deal then the 33% off sale that they occasionally run. There are a lot of DIRT cheap compilation albums to be had here... I've gotten a couple of Funkmaster Flex "mixtapes" and some Now CD's so far.

If you need replacement Wii and/or GameCube cases, buy them from the online Nintendo store (store.nintendo.com). I've seen Xbox and Xbox 360 cases online, with the seller claiming they are new and OEM, but not sure. Real and new PS2 cases seem more difficult to find.

Still waiting on my orders. Kind of anxious after hearing mixed reviews, although their customer service sounds like they will resolve issues properly. I did order a bunch of games, so we'll see how this goes down. Photos for sure.

Interestingly, if you order internationally, you get no jewel cases. Why? I don't know. I was checking to see if I had a tracking number or anything on my orders (nope!), and I saw that little tidbit.

I cannot get ahold of their customer service at all, and I have an order that "supposedly" shipped over two months ago. I just cannot get any response from them, haven't been able to for a long time. Damned order was almost $200, and that's down the drain now apparently. Thanks SecondSpin...

Just got my order today. Out of the 3 games i got, all had cases/manuals and the discs in pretty good shape. The only small annoyance was Blue Dragon's manual had a coffee ring on the back, manuals aren't coasters! I still prefer buying from gamefly for used games, but their sales haven't been any good since the new years one. My dvd and 6 cds were all in good shape as well, overall i'm pretty happy with my order.

Story time! Yay! (Now with pictures!)

So, I'll be honest, I'm pretty anal about how my games and their cases should be. My three requirements for games to be perfectly acceptable:
- Discs have little to no scratches or dirt.
- Manuals are crisp, not wrinkled.
- Cases feel smooth and have no signs of dirt.

I can live with dirty cases since they are replaceable, but being anal, they don't feel perfect. Discs and manuals should always be mint though.

Today... some of my packages arrived from Second Spin...

I opened the envelope first to find Stranglehold Collector's Edition for the Xbox 360.

Why they shrinkwrapped theses games, I won't understand. It is an FYE store, so I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose. And since they shrinkwrap these games, why they don't keep the labels ON THE SHRINKWRAP, I won't understand either. Anywho, I tore off the shrinkwrap and stickers. The little used stickers come off easily. They might leave slight residue if you rip them off quick, but stick the label back over those spots and they'll get stuck to the adhesive and come right off. I rubbed my hand on the cover to check for holes and scratches and I found one. The plastic looked a little wrinkled and wasn't exactly "like new" smooth, but it was okay. I popped open the case to find the game in perfect condition. Oddly, the Bonus DVD was in a paper sleeve. I thought there would be another tray inside, but I was wrong. Maybe that's how Second Spin packaged it. I don't know. Also, the Bonus DVD had a spot of scratches (like a 1 cm x 1 cm square). But, the manual was in perfect condition. Approved, but will need a new case.

Next up was one of the boxes. Ripped it open. Packaged decently. No bubble wrap or anything, but I hate that stuff anyway.

F-Zero GX. The case wasn't smooth. Felt rough. After peeling and unwrapping... Dammit. They have these old labels and new labels. The old labels are perfectly rectangular and leave behind most of the label (you will see that's not always the case later...). The new labels have rounded edges much like the red USED labels, so they peel easily and smoothly when done carefully and slowly. If you're lucky, the label will have part of itself on the plastic of the case itself and not the sleeve. Makes peeling much easier.

Anywho, popped open the case. Manual there. Check. Game... Boo.... Scratched up. They aren't deep scratches, but scratched. Not looking so hot Second Spin. Disapproved. Will complain about this one.

Next is Bloody Roar. The case is horrendous. I got this gigantic deep cut on the back. And it feels nasty. Inside... Surprisingly, the game is in perfect condition sans a few fingerprints. Manual is crisp, too. The insert was luckily unharmed, so I will keep this one and replace the case. Also had the crappy old label.

SSX Tour. Perfect. This game must've been new. Case is perfectly smooth. Game disc is perfect. Manual is mint. I don't think anybody even played it. Approved.

Sonic Rush Adventure. New label, but I failed at peeling it off properly. Game and inserts are fine. Case is good too. Approved.

Tekken 4. Finally bought a copy. Looking inside shows us... This isn't a PS2 game case! Lame. The manual is slightly damaged because of the little tab that sticks out on the spine. Game in perfect condition. Approved. Just need a new case.

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. Case is rough and the dirt spots are noticeable. But it's a real PS2 case. Probably gonna have to toss the case though. And stupidly, they put a new label over the old, so the old label below left its damage. Inside we have a perfect manual and two specks on the disc. Approved after a replacement case.

Next box...

First up Star Wars Rogue Squadron for the GameCube. Case will need a replacement. Pop the case open and I find... Only a game disc. Lots of smudges, but no scratches. Hopefully cleanable. This one is unfortunately disapproved. I need my manual. Another one for customer service.

Better luck with Jade Empire. Oddly the used label is already broken.... Hmmm... A look inside shows us our game and manual are fine though. Case is kind of rough. Will be replaced. Perfectly mint game and manual though. Like new. Approved.

Soul Calibur III. Case has some dirt at the top, but otherwise perfect. Just the way a case should be. Inside we have two discs. Yay for demos? Discs are perfect and so is the manual. You are approved.

Star Wars KOTOR. A classic that I have yet to play. And unfortunately, probably won't get to. The case is disgusting. The disc is horrendous. Scratches EVERYWHERE. Oddly the disc is a Platinum Hits copy, and not a regular copy, contrary to what the case says. The manual is unfortunately damaged by that tab in the spine. Sorry, you are disapproved.

Next up... A brand new game? The Microsoft seal is still on this one, untouched. We have a Platinum Hits copy of Crimson Skies. It's like new... Or it is new... Just Second Spin labels on a newly unwrapped game, I guess. Fine by me. Approved.

And that was all I got today. More on the way, as they arrive.

My conclusions:
- GameCube games are generally in bad condition.
- The new labels with the rounded corners come off easily, most of the time (not so with Sonic Rush Adventure). The old rectangular labels come off leaving behind residue and everything else, most of the time. I don't remember which, but one game had no issue with that label. Just peel carefully and slowly. Use tape to remove any extra residue. The older the game or the stock, the more likely you'll get the old label.
- You can get lucky with basically brand new games! 2 out of the 13 for me.
- Cases for the DS/GBA, GameCube, and Wii are available straight from Nintendo at store.nintendo.com. Brand new and perfect. PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 cases require a little eBay legwork and not guaranteed in the best condition.
- Cases are generally in lackluster condition by my standards, but may you're okay with that. Not as bad as GS/EB though although at GS/EB at least you can pick your case.
- Cases aren't always actual video game cases. Only 1 out of the 13 for me though (Tekken 4).
- Games are likely to be complete and in near mint to mint condition. 3 out of 13 from my first batch are complaint-worthy.

I got my 2nd shipment, discs were all pretty good, lots of fingerprints this time though.

EStarland shrink wraps their used stuff, but everything I've received from them used has been 100% mint.

One more order to go, I'm happy. I'll continue to do business with secondspin as long as heynow continues to work.

Received Rogue Galaxy in MINT condition save for the sticker residue left from peeling the second spin stickers off.

My second shipment also came in last night - all games were in good condition, with one exception: I ordered Alter Echo for PS2, and I shit you not - the game was NEW! It still had the seal on the top of the game with the Playstation hologram and title on it. Can't believe I got a game from them that had never been opened.

They also shipped out replacement copies of games that I got and were really scratched up - and apparently they don't even need me to return the old copies (which I bet would be fine with a trip to the store for resurfacing). I have been very, very impressed with SecondSpin - they've certainly got my business for a while to come with the level of service I have experienced.

I've noticed all of the cases I've received are damaged or have residue on them. Definitely not so good. Most of the games I've got so far are mint. Only one had some marks on the surface.

just got my 3 games. they shipped out very quickly. the manuals were generally good, except one had a small tear in it. the cases were also generally good. a little wear, but nothing noticeable. overall a great experience with them.

[quote name='Teqonix'] Can't believe I got a game from them that had never been opened.[/QUOTE]
I've traded in new games plenty of times (paid for my 360 in fact, and 2 PSPs arriving tomorrow). They're usually crappy games from things like the K-Mart clearance where the trade in price somewhere is better than anything else you'd get, and well over the purchase price.

I received my shipment of 6 games the other day and I am overall very pleased.

My copy of stranglehold was in perfect condition along with jak 3. My copy of Indigo Prophecy had a busted DVD holder but it still holds the disc. Fable was in good condition.

My copies of Pitfall and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time were not the best condition and I emailed secondspin and they have amazing customer service. I emailed them at about midnight and I got a response within 8 hours. They sent me another copy of Prince of Persia for free and because I got the last copy of pitfall they credited my account the price of the item. I couldn't be happier with their customer service.

I will defiantly be ordering more. Also, all my games came complete with manuals etc. Some even had the registration crap inside it.

Thanks for the 'heynow' code -- ordered Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction as the first game for my PS3 received as a birthday present today!

I hope $41.99 shipped is a good price for that....

I just got an email for a new SecondSpin promotional code... "TWSS28" for 20% off CDs and DVDs (no mention of free shipping). The code works from today until April 3rd. Think this means the HEYNOW code is coming to an end?

Got my CD, Metallica: Live **** Binge and Purge, in perfect condition with all the bonuses, doesnt even look like it was ever played.

My three CDs have now arrived over 2 days.

First up, KMFDMs Nihil - Stickers wouldn't remove. CD Cases != DVD cases, I don't know, but the used crap left tons of residue even being careful. New jewel case one... disc had some scratches sadly.
KMFDM XTORT - same on residue issue, disc/inserts mint though.
Alice Coopers Dragontown - same as above.

Overall they need to stop putting these damn stickers on things! then again, about 13 bucks for 3 albums isn't bad.

yesss. score. just picked up wii play with the wiimote, final ftasy crystal chronicles and baten kaitos origins. all for about 45. second spin is the shiiizzzaa.

Got my four games today, in two shipments; ordered two days ago!

1 - Jam Sessions (DS) - $12 - Non-standard DS case with mint artwork, game, and manual; good thing I have some spare DS cases lurking around :)
2 - Hamsterz Life (DS) - $12 - Perfect; mint box, manual and game (I collect DS games :p)
3 - Flash Focus (DS) - $13 - Perfect; mint box, manual and game
4 - Polarium Advance (GBA) - $12 - Box a bit crushed, otherwise fine; mint game and manual, authentic game, too

Super fast shipping and great products; 2ndSpin FTW! I just wish they would put the stickers OVER the shrinkwrap, but they're usually quite easy to remove :p

Received Lost Odyssey today in mint condition. It might even be new because it still had the Xbox Certificate of Authenticity untouched. :bouncy:

That's too bad. I assume the combo free shipping and 20% off savings don't come around too often.

The PSP game and DVD boxset I received were in excellent condition. The game still had a strip of the original shrinkwrap attached to the pristine case, and I was thrilled (and relieved) that neither a scratch, nor fingerprint could be found on the six discs.

So anybody have a time where their replacement copy of a game was just as bad and damaged?

I got my replacement copy of KOTOR and yet again, it is not running properly on my Xbox. Another e-mail coming at you, Second Spin.

[quote name='imacgod']So anybody have a time where their replacement copy of a game was just as bad and damaged?

I got my replacement copy of KOTOR and yet again, it is not running properly on my Xbox. Another e-mail coming at you, Second Spin.[/quote]

i think its mostly their last generation games that seem to be having quality issues. all of the 360, Wii, and PS3 games ive ordered from them have been in pristine and some even like it was only unsealed yesterday. and one of the games I did order had some issues, but the replacement they sent had no issues at all and works great.

this was posted over on the DVD section but pertains over here, the "heynow" code is working for everything, 20% and free shipping. Picked up Madden 07 for the 360, Max Payne, and Metal Arms Glitch in the System for 9 bucks total.....

I just heard a commercial about that 'heynow' code this week on sirius radio so it should be up again for a while.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']Has anyone ever ordered a Gameboy Advance game from them?

Do they have the box and manual for used GBA games?[/QUOTE]

Not sure, I guess you could e-mail or call them. The info is on the About Us link on their site. http://www.secondspin.com/stores/ss/help/contact.jsp

I know with console games they normally have the manuals included but not the original case but a cheap DVD replacement. I just ordered three DS games and they all came in complete and perfect condition. Every game disk and manual I have received from them has been in perfect condition. The Gears of War Collector's Edition I bought still has the Microsoft sticker applied.

Twice I received games without the manual. I emailed support and both time they sent me replacements of the full game (disk, manual and case) without being required to return the old game.

SecondSpin is the only company on the internet I will buy used games from. They are not like Gamefly where you get disks that look like they were cleaned with an angle grinder.

I went ahead and bit on Swordcraft Story 2 for GBA.

Not bad for $13.10, especially since I haven't really been able to find it anywhere else. Hopefully it includes the box and manual, but I really just want to play the sequel.

Like Squarehard said in reply to my previous post said, if the game is from the last generation, it's not likely the case, game, and/or manual will be in good condition (if it's included at all). Just about every GameCube, PS2, and Xbox game I received had bad cases. The games were fine on the most part. Manuals were missing in about a handful of them. They might not be so generous with the-sending-a-new-copy-because-the-manual-was-missing-policy anymore. I asked for the manual for Rogue Squadron, but they told me to print it from that website that has manual scans. Current-gen games are in top condition from my experience. The stickers might be a bit YMMV on how easily they remove though.

I don't like their shrinkwrap machine because it leaves wrinkles on the plastic sleeve. On my perfectly mint copies of Stranglehold and Crimson Skies, you can see shapes left behind by the shrinkwrap machine. Of course, I don't think most people are anal as me about game cases and disc quality. Feel free to read my review with pics in one of the previous pages.

Happy to see the sale continuing though. Might need to pick up a few things.

bread's done
Back