[DEAD]Amazon's Biggest Anime Sale of the Year-Tons of Anime Blu-rays and DVDs on Sale

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Capocci 007']you guys think Dragon Ball will get a dragon box or complete series or should i buy the 5 seasons?

what about gt[/QUOTE]
There already is a complete series for GT. It's on sale for $29.99: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-G...1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1310588933&sr=1-1

I haven't seen more than two episodes of it it myself, but I've heard nothing but bad things. Maybe it's cool if you LOVE the Dragon Ball universe, which I sort of do. I'm skipping it for now, though, because I really don't need it atm.

Is it worth buying the re-release of Samurai Champloo since I own the first release? I see this is the cheapest price for it ever since it came out.

[quote name='GuardianE']Are they ever going to put GiTS:SAC on bluray? I keep holding out on picking it up because of that.[/QUOTE]

This is the only information I can find on it:

http://www.cinemablend.com/dvdnews/...nd-Alone-Complex-Coming-To-Blu-Ray-19395.html

They did a BR release in Japan, retailed for INSANE amounts, and apparently there's no news of whether it's coming to the US. Personally, I don't know that there's enough of a benefit to waiting - I've always thought most Anime series looked just fined upconverted. But to each their own...

gotta mention hetalia axis powers (s1 & s2) is back to $15.99.

man, hetalia, dbz kai (blu), and ga rei zero are looking really sexy to me at their price right now....

For financial reasons, I can only afford one purchase from this sale right now; it's possible that I'll be able to afford something else later in the month before the sale ends, but I've got a decision to make with which I'd appreciate any help.

Which should I choose from the following series?

Baccano!
Darker Than BLACK
Eden of the East
Samurai Champloo

It's hard to describe the kind of anime I prefer, but I consider myself discerning. I appreciate thoughtful and well-crafted works ranging from all sorts of genres, including (but not limited to) sci-fi, action, drama, comedy, and adventure. I can't really name a single favorite series, but among my favorites are Cowboy Bebop, Dai-Guard, Gankutsuou, Moribito, and Mushishi.

I've heard great things about the above series, and I've seen some of the latter two (EotE I watched in its entirety subbed when it was airing, and SC I caught a few times on Adult Swim--I liked what I saw). I've also heard that Baccano! is particularly gory, which is one reason I've refrained from investing in it up to now, but if its story and characters are especially refined, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm also intrigued by Darker Than BLACK's synopsis.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but like I said, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

picking up Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part 1,2,5 got 3,4

i wish they had full metal part 1-6 and YU YU part 1-3 in that sale :whistle2:(

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I already purchased D Grayman and Full Metal Panic Fumoffu boxsets on blu. Tempted to get Samurai Champloo too.[/QUOTE]

i was thinking the same on SC too but 23 is killing the cheap ass in me

[quote name='Vigilante']For financial reasons, I can only afford one purchase from this sale right now; it's possible that I'll be able to afford something else later in the month before the sale ends, but I've got a decision to make with which I'd appreciate any help.

Which should I choose from the following series?

Baccano!
Darker Than BLACK
Eden of the East
Samurai Champloo

It's hard to describe the kind of anime I prefer, but I consider myself discerning. I appreciate thoughtful and well-crafted works ranging from all sorts of genres, including (but not limited to) sci-fi, action, drama, comedy, and adventure. I can't really name a single favorite series, but among my favorites are Cowboy Bebop, Dai-Guard, Gankutsuou, Moribito, and Mushishi.

I've heard great things about the above series, and I've seen some of the latter two (EotE I watched in its entirety subbed when it was airing, and SC I caught a few times on Adult Swim--I liked what I saw). I've also heard that Baccano! is particularly gory, which is one reason I've refrained from investing in it up to now, but if its story and characters are especially refined, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm also intrigued by Darker Than BLACK's synopsis.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but like I said, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I think your best option out of those listed are probably Samurai Champloo or Baccano.

I'm debating if the Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-rays are worth it at $15.49 a piece... it looks "cleaner", but some of the episode have obvious transitions that just look weird.

The episode where Trunks kicks Freiza's but was 2 episodes, but made into 1 and you could tell the animation quality just took a step back in the last half of the episode.

Good thing I have another 2 weeks to think about it.

[quote name='Squarehard']I think your best option out of those listed are probably Samurai Champloo or Baccano.[/QUOTE]Thanks for your input. After doing some more thinking and looking at reviews/thoughts on Baccano!, I bit on it. I'm hoping I'll love it as much as many, many people apparently do.

I would still appreciate input on the other three series I mentioned (Darker Than BLACK, Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo), as I should hopefully be able to get one more item from this sale before it's over.

[quote name='Vigilante']Thanks for your input. After doing some more thinking and looking at reviews/thoughts on Baccano!, I bit on it. I'm hoping I'll love it as much as many, many people apparently do.

I would still appreciate input on the other three series I mentioned (Darker Than BLACK, Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo), as I should hopefully be able to get one more item from this sale before it's over.[/QUOTE]

I've seen all those anime titles. I loved the flavor of Samurai Champloo and is probably the best of the three mentioned. Darker than BLACK is pretty solid as well, though I don't know if I'd buy the series unless it was < $20. Eden of the East was okay, there are a lot of plot holes and it feels like an unfinished attempt at a possibly very good story, but it feels like they rushed through it.

So I would put them in this order:

1. Samurai Champloo
2. Darker than BLACK
3. Eden of the East

Hope this helps!

I have a lot of what I want from this sale, but the Soul Eater Meister Collection is $30 and I might bite on that. Also eying Slayers Revolution, the One Piece movie, and maybe Witchblade for lulz.

[quote name='Vigilante']Thanks for your input. After doing some more thinking and looking at reviews/thoughts on Baccano!, I bit on it. I'm hoping I'll love it as much as many, many people apparently do.

I would still appreciate input on the other three series I mentioned (Darker Than BLACK, Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo), as I should hopefully be able to get one more item from this sale before it's over.[/QUOTE]

Darker Than Black's quality is pretty uneven, with it definitely having better or worse episodes. It's fairly episodic while also having an overarching plot, so while the core premise is always intriguing the individual episodes don't always work wonders with that premise.

Eden of the East is a good conspiracy thriller, and while it has some commentary on Japanese culture that's not exactly relevant or discernible to overseas viewers, it's mostly an intelligent action series with good animation and an engrossing plot.

Samurai Champloo is one of the all-time greats and is in a lot of ways a sister show to Cowboy Bebop set in 18th century Japan. It has an anachronistic hip-hop-fused visual style that works amazingly, really great animation, consistently-good plot, off-beat characters with great chemistry, and one of the best English dubs of any anime. It's probably the best buy for the money of any blu in the sale, especially if you've never seen it before.

[quote name='Vigilante']I would still appreciate input on the other three series I mentioned (Darker Than BLACK, Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo), as I should hopefully be able to get one more item from this sale before it's over.[/QUOTE]

I really love both Samurai Champloo and Eden of the East, but I'd have to give the edge to Champloo. Darker than Black isn't worth your money, however.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I really love both Samurai Champloo and Eden of the East, but I'd have to give the edge to Champloo. Darker than Black isn't worth your money, however.[/QUOTE]What's your thought on Guyver?

So the Soul Eater Blu-Ray Boxsets are $30 & $35, so my question is should I buy it? I loved the show so much, and I really want to own these.

but I really shouldn't be spending money right now, and if I get it I'm just going to watch the extras and shelf it for a while because I have a bunch of other anime I'm watching at the moment.

Is this significantly cheaper that the normal discount price for this? Does this go on sale often? If I choose to buy these in the future will it cost significantly more? Is there a risk of this going out of print?

[quote name='shrike4242']What's your thought on Guyver?[/QUOTE]
Not bad, not great, just okay.

I've only seen 4 episodes so far. Animation is better compared to the older Guyver.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']i dont understand why funi doesnt release more baccano blu ray[/QUOTE]

That's because Funi didn't release the Baccano Blu-ray, it was Aniplex. Which means finding it at cheap Funimation prices is unlikely.

[quote name='KornKid91']So the Soul Eater Blu-Ray Boxsets are $30 & $35, so my question is should I buy it? I loved the show so much, and I really want to own these.

but I really shouldn't be spending money right now, and if I get it I'm just going to watch the extras and shelf it for a while because I have a bunch of other anime I'm watching at the moment.

Is this significantly cheaper that the normal discount price for this? Does this go on sale often? If I choose to buy these in the future will it cost significantly more? Is there a risk of this going out of print?[/QUOTE]
The first set was released less than two months ago, and the second set won't be out until August. I don't think there's risk of them going out of print anytime soon, especially knowing Funimation and the popularity of this show. At $30, the first box set is 57% off retail, and I don't think it would get much lower than that on a future sale. But I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. Since the second set is a preorder still, I'd wait to see future deals on it.

I ordered a copy of Samurai Champloo based on y'all's recommendations, and Ghost in the Shell 2.0. Many thanks to everyone expressing their opinions in this thred; it's greatly appreciated.

[quote name='shrike4242']What's your thought on Guyver?[/QUOTE]

I've only seen the first few episodes, but what I watched didn't inspire me to keep going. It's an average, unremarkable action show with not a whole lot of character development.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']That's because Funi didn't release the Baccano Blu-ray, it was Aniplex. Which means finding it at cheap Funimation prices is unlikely.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention Baccano wasn't produced in HD, making Aniplex's expensive Blu-ray release all the more pointless.

Ordered Eden of the East, Both seasons of Gunslinger Girl and Yu Yu Hakusho Season 1. Thinking of nabbing The Eden of the East movie and Samurai Champloo next week on Blu.

Is anyone else having their order not ship after 24 hours? Very unusual, especially since they went to process 10 minutes after ordering. Everything is listed as in-stock, so I don't get it.

I thought Darker than Black was quite good. Couple episodes in the middle stood out as terrible but it built up well afterwords and left me satisfied.

Now the second season... :oldman:

--

looking to pick up champloo on blu, baccano, gai-rei zero, and maybe soul eater. or maybe not anything because i really shouldn't =[

Is the picture quality on the yu yu hakusho blu ray that much better than the DVD? I'm debating wether to pick up them up on DVD or get the 1st season blu ray and wait on the other seasons.

i was thinking of grabing something here but i dont know which one....FMP series ( will FMP 2nd season re-release soon?) or Slayers box set (whats the cheapest price of this in the past?) any advice?

anime in BD i wanted so far is Xamd, Star Driver, Code Geass, Karas, Gundam UC, Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann.....

The Yu Yu Hakusho sets looks incredible. I believe they were actually properly remastered because the difference in picture is significant!

[quote name='hetz15']I know that Dragon Ball Kai is the short version of DBZ, but is it also censored (for example blood and stuff)?[/QUOTE]

It's uncensored.

[quote name='hetz15']I know that Dragon Ball Kai is the short version of DBZ, but is it also censored (for example blood and stuff)?[/QUOTE]
Well, yes and no. FUNimation's domestic release is identical to the release in Japan (aside from edited title cards and credits).

However, during the "Kai-ification" process, some of the original footage was censored. For example, which Piccolo kills Raditz (and Goku by extension), what was originally a gaping hole in their chests has been edited into more of a burn-like wound.

dragonball-kai-censored.jpg

There are more examples of this kind of editing, but, to be honest, I really didn't follow Kai all that closely, so all that I know is just peripheral knowledge.

But, to reiterate, the footage is identical to the Japanese release. This censoring isn't something that FUNimation did on their own.

Also, it's worth noting that due to some weird copyright infringement stuff with the soundtrack, volume five of Kai (and anything after that) will have different background music than the previous four (here's something more in-depth, if anyone actually cares).

Oh, and the series ends at the Cell arc, in case you weren't aware, and were expecting to get the complete story through Kai. :p

[quote name='Socheata']It's uncensored.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hao']Well, yes and no. FUNimation's domestic release is identical to the release in Japan (aside from edited title cards and credits).

However, during the "Kai-ification" process, some of the original footage was censored. For example, which Piccolo kills Raditz (and Goku by extension), what was originally a gaping hole in their chests has been edited into more of a burn-like wound.

dragonball-kai-censored.jpg

There are more examples of this kind of editing, but, to be honest, I really didn't follow Kai all that closely, so all that I know is just peripheral knowledge.

But, to reiterate, the footage is identical to the Japanese release. This censoring isn't something that FUNimation did on their own.

Also, it's worth noting that due to some weird copyright infringement stuff with the soundtrack, volume five of Kai (and anything after that) will have different background music than the previous four (here's something more in-depth, if anyone actually cares).

Oh, and the series ends at the Cell arc, in case you weren't aware, and were expecting to get the complete story through Kai. :p[/QUOTE]

thx for the input. And here I thought that I would be able to watch the buu's fight again. I think I'm going to pass this one.

[quote name='Jodou']Is anyone else having their order not ship after 24 hours? Very unusual, especially since they went to process 10 minutes after ordering. Everything is listed as in-stock, so I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too. My cc hasn't even been charged yet and the order hasn't been processed although I have to say I ordered quite a bit of stuff. (13 to be exact)

Turned my Best Buy store credit into some Amazon cards and got Samurai Champloo, Rideback, Burst Angel, and Soul Eater Vol. 1. Awesome. :D

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']That's because Funi didn't release the Baccano Blu-ray, it was Aniplex. Which means finding it at cheap Funimation prices is unlikely.[/QUOTE]

And what a disappointment it was! I bought it and was hugely disappointed by the picture and especially the audio. How can the DVD set have a 5.1 audio track and the Blu-Ray set only be in stereo? :whistle2:x

My wallet cries. I somehow convinced myself to get:
Dragon Ball Z Kai pt. 2
Dragon Ball Z Kai pt. 3
Dragon Ball Z Kai pt. 5
Eden of the Easy Complete Series
Yu Yu Hakusho Season 1
Soul Eater Meister Collection

[quote name='FireWarrior']Yeah me too. My cc hasn't even been charged yet and the order hasn't been processed although I have to say I ordered quite a bit of stuff. (13 to be exact)[/QUOTE]
And then last night, in the span of an hour, three things shipped from over the course of the past day. Guess they were backed up or something.

just to throw my two cents in here...(since i AM the animemaniac and all :p) But soul eater was awesome...until the end...which just sucks big time. Anti-climactic, lame, and a downright disappointment considering how hooked on the show I was up to that point

EDIT: and holy shnikes...i swear to y'all i didn't see shadow17x's post when i posted my thoughts on soul eater. meant to post earlier but got distracted and the last post at the bottom of the thread was Astroranagun's O_O

[quote name='animemaniac14']just to throw my two cents in here...(since i AM the animemaniac and all :p) But soul eater was awesome...until the end...which just sucks big time. Anti-climactic, lame, and a downright disappointment considering how hooked on the show I was up to that point

EDIT: and holy shnikes...i swear to y'all i didn't see shadow17x's post when i posted my thoughts on soul eater. meant to post earlier but got distracted and the last post at the bottom of the thread was Astroranagun's O_O[/QUOTE]

No worries. That's good and bad to hear on Soul Eater. I think I'll rent the dvds then. Guess I'm done with this sale until FMA brotherhood goes back down again.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'd buy on blu-ray. I refuse to buy DVDs these days.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's dumb, considering the DVDs are the superior version of Baccano, not to mention the cheaper option.

[quote name='shadow17x']How is Soul Eater? I'm really torn on getting the Meister collection and going in on this as a blind buy.[/QUOTE]

Incredibly mediocre, but with a great visual style and quality animation. It's streaming on Netflix if you'd really like to watch it.

bread's done
Back