Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

Anywhere in the tower of Latria will work, I don't think you can actually drop a blue stone in much of that final staircase leading to the boss fight. I usually dropped it near the maneater entrance, following the curve around aways and placed it under the pots.

Then it's a matter of waiting until someone connected to the server tries to kill that boss and you will have a chance to be summoned to fight instead of the NPC.

Since this is the last month before NA servers go offline, I'm definitely going to enjoy a few invasions during the closing days. Great memories, :applause:.

It's a pure white event currently until May 15ish, if an area is not pure white, try entering the level, exiting, shutting down Demon's Souls, and then booting it back up again. It might take a few connects and reconnects until your worlds are fully averaged to pure white.

I just started playing this game and I really wish I would have played long before the last month of the servers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Backlash']Oh man, you started just in time for Pure Black? Rough way to start. Enjoy, though! My fav game of the last several years, easily.[/QUOTE]

ahhh crap. I forgot about the world tendencies shifting. I think I only have boss battles left. I beat worlds 2 and 4. I have the final boss fights on 1,3, and 5 left.

I really enjoyed this game (except for that one level where there's tons of scaffolding because I must have fallen off of that a dozen times when I was first starting that level :bomb:). I think I'm going to go back through it again soon and try to get the platinum for it.

I beat this game once, and loved it.

Just started trying to co-op this game with my son. But looks like we won't get close to finishing, as our play time is pretty limited right now. I wish they'd give us another 3 months.... I know they have already extended the date way past, and are unlikely to do it again.

~S

Does anyone remember how much Demon's Souls cost during that Black Friday sale a year or two ago? There were three sales then: one for the regular game, another for the game and soundtrack, and a third for the game, soundtrack, and artbook.

[quote name='whitereflection']Does anyone remember how much Demon's Souls cost during that Black Friday sale a year or two ago? There were three sales then: one for the regular game, another for the game and soundtrack, and a third for the game, soundtrack, and artbook.[/QUOTE]

These are what I paid for them:

with soundtrack 16.99 (think it went on sale for $15)
artbook and soundtrack 25.99 (may have gone on sale for $19.99)

EDIT: I'm glad the servers are staying up! I was panicking because I want to get the monk hat.

So, I just started playing this for the first time, and I already have the 'getting ridiculously frustrated at this game, yet can't put it down or want to give it one more try' syndrome.

holy cow. that is so awesome
i was rushing through my rentals and max payne 3 and wanting to play while servers were still up but time was running out but this is so great. feel bad for those that flipped it already in anticipation of servers closing. i would never flip this game. altho it will be alot harder without blue soul buddies, still a great game!

[quote name='kiwimonster']this game compared to dark souls? I got a ps3 a couple months ago played and completed dark souls this one harder?[/QUOTE]
I found that the games are harder/easier in different ways. The things that I really liked about Dark Souls was that you can carry all the items you find without having to drop stuff and humanity as opposed to Demon Souls where you're not your own bottomless box and how you need to change world tendency to get special items. I also found that the rings are more handy in Demon Souls.

How much harder is it to get summoned/summon someone during your first run through Demon's Souls compared to Dark Souls? Also is it still possible to get the Old Monk's Wrappings easily without having to wait infinity to get summoned?

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']I did it, I beat Demon's Souls! Now I can move on to my backlog :)[/QUOTE]

Congrats. Now role through NG+ and see if it is as easy.

New Game Plus. Basically, play through the game again, keeping your soul level and all spells and equipment, but the enemies are much harder.

You have to go through the game 3.5 times to get platinum. But the biggest difficulty jump is the first one.

Interesting. I put in 80+ hours on the first play through. I may revisit it down the road but I have too many games I need to play. It is, hands down, the most rewarding game experience I've had to date. One thing that doesn't get enough praise in my opinion is the sound design of the game.

[quote name='Backlash']New Game Plus. Basically, play through the game again, keeping your soul level and all spells and equipment, but the enemies are much harder.

You have to go through the game 3.5 times to get platinum. But the biggest difficulty jump is the first one.[/QUOTE]

Not if you take certain actions... lol.

This is coming to PSN next week for $19.99:
DEMON'S SOULS COMING TO PLAYSTATION®NETWORK ON 1/8/13

Celebrate With ATLUS By Experiencing a Pure White World Tendency Event from 1/8 - 1/14

ATLUS, the video game publishing brand of Index Digital Media, Inc., today announced that Demon's Souls, the award-winning action RPG for PlayStation®3 (PS3) Computer Entertainment System, will be coming in downloadable form to the PlayStation®Network (PSN) on 1/8/13 for $19.99.

To celebrate the release of Demon's Souls on PSN, ATLUS is hosting a World Tendency Event for one week starting on 1/8/13 and ending on 1/14/13, setting the servers to Pure White. For those that haven't played the game (or simply need a refresher), Pure White Tendency brings a number of changes to the game. For one, the game will be adjusted to an easier difficulty setting, where enemies will have decreased HP, attack power, and defense, while players will inflict more damage when attacking. Pure White Tendency is a rare occurance in the game so this is a great way for newcomers to learn the gameplay and immerse themselves in the world of Demon's Souls. Additionally, enemies will drop fewer upgrade stones and more healing items. New areas and special NPCs will also be open; players just need to know where to find them.

For the game's original launch on PS3, Demon's Souls earned GameSpot's "Game of the Year" award, along with "Best PS3 RPG" from IGN, and "Best RPG" and "Best New IP" from GameTrailers.com. The title received critical praise from top media:

"If you like RPGs in general, you'll find one of the better, most challenging quests of your life" - 1UP (A)

"One of the first truly great Japanese RPGs of this generation, and certainly the most remarkable." - Game Informer (9/10)

"Hands-down one of the most unique and rewarding games you'll ever play." - IGN (9.4/10)

Demon's Souls brings revolutionary online features support with seamless interconnectivity to enhance the single-player game. Team up with two other players in simultaneous cooperative play, working together to topple some of the game's colossal bosses, or force your way into the games of skilled players and challenge them to PvP battle. Leave hints and clues for those who will follow in your footsteps; either intentionally or through your own inadvertent demise, your bloodstains will allow your successors to view a replay of your death, hinting at how to avoid your gruesome fate. Unprecedented in its depth and subtlety, peerless in its relentlessly challenging gameplay, Demon's Souls is the ultimate action RPG.

About Demon's Souls

King Allant the XII, the last king of Boletaria, searched tirelessly to expand his might. The Nexus, a great ice shrine nestled in the mountains, bestowed the power of the souls onto him, bringing prosperity to his kingdom. Still unsated, he returned again to the Nexus, where he foolishly awakened the Old One from its eternal slumber. This long forgotten evil, now wrought upon Boletaria, plunged the realm into darkness and fog. A mighty demon horde poured into the kingdom, devouring the souls of men.

Champions from other realms learned of Boletaria's fate and sought to deliver the kingdom from evil; none would return from the cursed land. Called upon by a mysterious maiden in black, you go forth, the last hope for humanity in a place lost to demons and darkness...

Did they ever fix the bug with the online? Where you would work your ass off offline to get to PWT or PBT then go online and it reverts back to neutral....such bs.

Good that more people will get into the series, it's one of the best new ones out there.

I lose no sleep over getting a duped pure bladestone from another player, having it only drop from one enemy and with a pitiful drop rate is just a stupid, stupid time waster. I was so happy that Demon's Souls eliminated that pointless grind for 80% of the items, but they clung to that archaic mechanic for some of the ore, I guess because it is a genre trope.

I ended up trading some cloudstone for a pute bladestone. But I agree, a duped pure bladestone shouldn't make you feel bad. Of course that's a slippery slope toward duping other items, which definitely starts to take away any real achievement.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I lose no sleep over getting a duped pure bladestone from another player, having it only drop from one enemy and with a pitiful drop rate is just a stupid, stupid time waster. I was so happy that Demon's Souls eliminated that pointless grind for 80% of the items, but they clung to that archaic mechanic for some of the ore, I guess because it is a genre trope.[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough I found the pure bladestone legit. About half of the others though, Jodou let me hold each of those for me to get the trophy.

Picked this up on PSN and I'm working my way through 1-1, though I'm looking at a guide/map to figure out where I went and where I need to go to get to the boss since I had no clue where I was going.

Reposting this again because it will be helpful to newcomers. Feel free to ask away if you have any other questions Friski.
[quote name='guardian_owl']Whether you pump strength, dexterity, magic, or faith depends what weapon you think you will end up using. Katanas, daggers, rapier-like swords, spears, and bows are primarily modified by dexterity. The rest are mostly modified by strength. Most weapons can also either be crafted into a weapon which gains damage by pumping magic or by pumping faith. Raising endurance / vitality for several levels until you decide what weapon you intend to use is usually a good way to avoid wasting stat points. For more information, see "what each stat means."

Picking a Class
Beginning tips
What each stat means
General tips
Regarding Shields
Dealing with the Dragon at the end of the first level
Pure White World Tendency[/QUOTE]
Also reposting this just because I LOL every time I read it.

President of Sony's worldwide studios, Shuhei Yoshida, explains why Sony passed on publishing Demon's Souls in the USA
For my personal experience with Demon’s Souls, when it was close to final I spent close to two hours playing it and after two hours I was still standing at the beginning at the game. I said, “This is crap. This is an unbelievably bad game.” So I put it aside.

Do whatever works for you Frisky, but I STRONGLY recommend trying to play without a guide. It makes the game much more fun. You can never recapture that feeling of exploration and not knowing what's around the corner after the first time (or at all, if you use a guide).

I've been playing it without a guide, killed 4 bosses(1-1,1-2,2-1,4-1 and I've been to the boss of 2-2 but can't beat it) in about 14 hours. It seems once you get past the first world(1-1) it does get easier and easier as you get better gear and can level up.

That being said it still is hard and I still die a ton.

2-2 boss is a bit of a bitch. But once you kill him you can use his souls to turn other boss souls into weapons! He's weak to magic, and often you can find summon signs right before the boss door if you're playing online and you're human.

If you're stuck there, give 3-1 a try. I love that level - so creepy.

I dropped this game ~1.5 years ago, and have been meaning to go back and try again. I know I beat 3 bosses for sure, maybe a 4th. The loss of souls and restart/enemy repop on death wasn't my issue. Well souls kinda was in that they were both EXP+Money, meaning all that grinding you had to spend souls on repair+arrows/etc, not just stats for level up.

My issue was the freaking stamina bar. Normally I do not play magic users in video games, it just isn't fun to me. But the poor stamina mechanic forced me to use Royal+wand+mp regen ring, just to get by normal enemies. So I lost interest in playing and haven't gone back yet. I've since watched some Dark Souls videos and I'm jealous of that fast recharging stamina bar. Any suggestions for Demons Souls?

AFAIK, the stamina bar for both games is pretty much the same, though Dark Souls has more items that help it refill faster (ring, shield, etc). Put more points into Endurance if you want more stamina, which also helps you wear more armor. I always do that pronto.

Stamina bar increases with points in endurance up to 40 at which max stamina tops out. Two-handing a weapon also blows through stamina like crazy and only increases damage if it scales well with strength. Heavier weapons also decreases stamina gauge more so you get fewer swings per full stamina bar. Holding your shield in a guarding position decreases stamina regen so release R1 when not in blade range so the gauge will refill faster. Heavier armor also offers more protection, but reduces the rate of stamina regen. There is also a ring which boosts stamina regen.

You have to weigh overextending yourself with a full barrage of attacks (and possibly finish off the enemy) and depleting your stamina gauge (which leaves your guard useless and you unable to roll away) vs. finishing it off over more combat sets and always leaving enough stamina to take a block or roll. Stamina management is one of the most important aspects of Souls combat, swinging the weapon willy nilly and not timing your strikes (like most other melee combat game) will bring swift death as you find yourself constantly defenseless.

Stamina isn't an issue if you wear light armor and learn2dodge. 2H a big sword for a bigger boost as well. Shields are for things that can't be dodged IMO.

Well I managed to beat the game. I think the difficulty is overrated somewhat. It is pretty hard at the start, but once you get better equipment and learn how you need to play it's easier, though still challenging.

I only managed to get the trophies for killing the bosses, not sure I will invest the time needed to get all the other trophies as manipulating the world tendencies seems like it would be a pain and a grind.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/11/demon-39-s-souls-going-offline-end-of-may.aspx
The Online server will finally go off for realsies May 31st, 2013. They will have two tendency events, one May 1-15 and the other May 16-31 based on fan voting.

On October 6, 2009, North American gamers’ expectations of what an online roleplaying experience could be were forever changed. With Demon’s Souls, gamers received a title of breathtaking scope and vision, a project built on experimental cooperative and competitive multiplayer concepts, offering users both direct and indirect methods of communication and interaction. Elements of every connected player’s single player world carried into the worlds of others, sometimes as nothing more than an echo or afterimage, and other times in the form of an alliance or invasion. With countless hazards to memorize and plan for spread across each of the game’s sprawling dozen-plus worlds, the ability for players to leave hints—or, potentially, deceptions—and to view the final moments of other adventurers’ lives, created an unprecedented form of RPG crowd-sourcing that remains revolutionary to this day.

When subtle interactions were insufficient assistance, players could call across dimensions for assistance, pulling the weakened spirit forms of other adventurers—unable to communicate using conventional voice chat in order to preserve the game’s intense atmosphere—into their worlds to help them defeat the game’s unforgettable boss monsters. Other less altruistic spirit form users could invade the world of living adventurers and try to revive themselves by quite literally stealing that life from another. All of these online elements, all of the ways in which gamers would interact with each other, served to enhance and complement the core game and were designed so as to neither diminish nor distract from the experience and thrill of simply playing the game.

It has been a tremendous honor and privilege for all of our staff at ATLUS to have been involved with so innovative and groundbreaking an interactive entertainment experience. We poured our heart and soul into every facet of our involvement with Demon’s Souls, particularly the title’s memorable Deluxe Edition, which served as the only avenue through which to purchase the game’s official strategy guide. It was also of the utmost importance for us to sustain the game’s online experience as long as possible, even beyond the point at which sales could help to offset the expense. Regrettably, the online servers cannot be sustained forever and now the end draws near.

Thank you to the unparalleled passion and support of the Demon’s Souls community throughout these last two and a half years. The online adventure may end soon, but the memory of it—just like that of every boss strategy, every level floor plan, and hidden secret—lives on in the gamers for whom the game was so special.

Long live Boletaria!
- ATLUS VP of sales and marketing Tim Pivnicny

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not going down. That article is a year old, as they announced a few weeks later that the shutdown was delayed indefinitely:
IRVINE, CA -- MAY 25, 2012 -- ATLUS, the video game brand of Index Digital Media, Inc., today announced an extension of the North American online servers for Demon's Souls™ for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the "Greatest Hits" hardcore multiplayer action RPG hailed as GameSpot's 2009 Game of the Year. Originally scheduled to be shut down at the end of the final hour of May 31, 2012, the servers will now continue to operate for the foreseeable future.

"We're incredibly excited to be able to announce that the Demon's Souls online experience will persist for a while longer," stated Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Marketing and Sales. "While it originally seemed as though it would be unfeasible for us to continue to sustain the servers, a number of developments have made it possible for us to continue to invest in and support our fans as they have continued to invest in and support us and Demon's Souls. For all the gamers who have yet to discover the game's amazing online experience, we're happy to say you can still log on and find out why Demon's Souls is still regarded by many as one of the finest games of all time."

ATLUS did not rule out the possibility of future extensions of the North American servers, provided user activity and interest remain constant.

bread's done
Back