Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

Just got a ps3 and this game. Ive gone through NG++ on dark souls on xbox and absolutely loved it. I dont want to ruin this game by checking wikis so just one question...does my starting class make a big difference or is it like dark souls and it really is of little impact.

[quote name='burz88']Just got a ps3 and this game. Ive gone through NG++ on dark souls on xbox and absolutely loved it. I dont want to ruin this game by checking wikis so just one question...does my starting class make a big difference or is it like dark souls and it really is of little impact.[/QUOTE]
Little impact, it's just the starting package to get you through the first few levels. Though like Dark Souls, some start with slightly more stat points when at the same or similar levels. The class which offers the most customization is the royal as it starts at soul level of zero. You are probably going to want to read up on a few things as some basic stuff is different from dark souls and there are some gameplay mechanics which were removed for simplicity sake in Dark Souls which are present in Demon's Souls.

What each stat does - Item burden (can only carry so much), separate memory slots for spells and miracles, etc.
World Tendency - Can manipulate each level to make the game harder or easier which unlocks new items / areas.
Character Tendency - Changes some stats for your character depending on how evil or good you are in the game.

[quote name='slowdive21']Don't use meltstone. Just find another of the weapon. I keep like 4 copies of each weapon with Thomas.[/QUOTE]

I have another one and i will follow that suggestion. I mean i have the spider thing and i should be able to enhance the bow with that.

For the smithy in 2-1 there was a message on the floor saying 'you will find true love'.

[quote name='yester']I have another one and i will follow that suggestion. I mean i have the spider thing and i should be able to enhance the bow with that.

For the smithy in 2-1 there was a message on the floor saying 'you will find true love'.[/QUOTE]

When you are playing online people can select prewritten messages. Most of them are nonsense or try to trick you...Some are helpful though.

[quote name='slowdive21']When you are playing online people can select prewritten messages. Most of them are nonsense or try to trick you...Some are helpful though.[/QUOTE]

I knew that. But i found that so real funny. True love.. lol... it was actually correct since it was the smithy. :)

yoohoo... i beat the world 4. Was kind of easy actaully.
Now i am heading back to world 1 to destroy the blue dragon. I feel strong enough so far.
Right now my dex is at 37.

I think i have now about 40 hours clocked and it still is fun to play. Once i am done with this game i surely will get me dark souls.

have a great day. :)

Ok, i finished the game. It was very entertaining and i clocked 80 hours in to the game.
I felt that the last bosses were kind of easy to overcome but that can also be my character build. I had 47 dex and 22 end & 22 str. the rest was pretty much untouched.

So now i will pause for a while and perhaps make another run down the line. Altough now i am locking really into dark souls. :)

Thanks for any advice posted. It was very helpful and helped me getting through all the problem zones.

After a 5 month or so hiatus (stuck on the Flame Lurker) started playing again a few days ago and beat him in two tries, it was actually pretty easy. Should I continue on in world two or try another...suggestions?

Last area of world 2 is pretty easy (it's just the boss) a little like a puzzle as you have to sneak around and make your way through till you can put the finishing blows on the boss. If your character dabbles in magic it is probably worth killing the boss now as its soul can be used to make Fire storm, a spell which is quite effective vs. certain bosses and for crowd control.

President of Sony's worldwide studios, Shuhei Yoshida, explains why Sony passed on publishing Demon's Souls in the USA
For my personal experience with Demon’s Souls, when it was close to final I spent close to two hours playing it and after two hours I was still standing at the beginning at the game. I said, “This is crap. This is an unbelievably bad game.” So I put it aside.
The ultimate ragequit :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guardian_owl']Last area of world 2 is pretty easy (it's just the boss) a little like a puzzle as you have to sneak around and make your way through till you can put the finishing blows on the boss. If your character dabbles in magic it is probably worth killing the boss now as its soul can be used to make Fire storm, a spell which is quite effective vs. certain bosses and for crowd control.[/QUOTE]

So I've kept all of my boss souls, do they offer special abilities or just add to your soul bank? Should I "cash them in" or just hold on to them? I have:

Phalanx 1-1
Fools Idol 3-1
Tower Knight 1-2
Spider 2-1
Flame Lurker 2-2
Dragon -2-3

Hold onto them for now! Give Flamelurker's soul to the blacksmith in 2-1, and he can use the other boss souls to create unique weapons for you, or you can use some of them to learn powerful magic spells from certain NPCs in the Nexus.

Right, every boss soul has at least 1 use, they either create a weapon, a miracle, and/or a spell. Some are useful buff spells/miracles even if one is primarily a melee-based character.

[quote name='guardian_owl']President of Sony's worldwide studios, Shuhei Yoshida, explains why Sony passed on publishing Demon's Souls in the USA
The ultimate ragequit :lol:[/QUOTE]

If true, I give him credit for personally trying games for a few hours. I would have thought he would just rely on reports. The game isn't for everyone, I can respect that. He played it, honestly didn't like it and didn't think it was a good fit. He was wrong, but he was wrong sticking to his own guns.

Hey, which boss was the most annoying boss you defeated?

To me it was the Blue Dragon. It took me fooorrreeevvverrrr.

Overall the bosses are not that hard if you figure out how to approach them. I still hesitate to do a second playthrough.

Once i have some money i will dive in Dark Souls.

Phalanx, I had used all my fire bombs, didn't have any magic spells, and only had a mace so I spent 40 minutes or so constantly circling the room, taking out hoplites as they spawned and budded off of the main boss until I was able to move in and kill it, that's when I was playing the game cold.

After that, probably Maneater as it kept knocking me off the platform.

I had issues with Flamelurker, mostly. He was tough solo yet so easy with blue phantoms.

For Maneater I used the strategy of trying to keep the flame thing in the middle between me and the monster and just taking shots when I got a good chance. That was also not a quick fight.

So far for me it has been the Flame Lurker. I basically ran like hell until I got in good position to hit him with soul arrows. Took around 20 minutes. I just got invaded for the first time the other day in 1-4. I was making a lot of progress until that A-Hole invaded me. I almost killed him though but he caught me out of position and took me out with one stab in the back...jerk! This game is difficult enough without worrying about invaders :whistle2:\

I haven't finished the game, but I found Maneater to be the most annoying. Tower knight I probably spent the most time on. I had soul arrow, but no catalyst and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I thought it was a bow upgrade so I was trying to shoot it with the bow equipped and obviously nothing happened. I eventually just picked him off with 170 arrows or so. (I was trying to play without any type of guide.)

I think as a ranged character it is easier. So far i did not fight any of the bosses in melee. I can imagine that it will be much more tougher.
All the bosses i defeated with a bow and so for the most part it was easy to some extent. Still the blue dragon took so many arrows. I think i shot about 700 arrows (total) in the thing. And of course i died a couple of times too.

The other boss 1.boss world 4 took me a real long time. It was especially tricky since it is very narrow and you can get hit so easily.

I assume most of you defeated the boss in melee which i consider really hardcore. :)

I defeated phalanx, tower knight and the spider using melee. I didn't start using magic until after defeating the spider. I took out the flame lurker and the fools idol(finished with a few quick blows with my falshion+8) with soul arrows. The dragon god was probably the easiest once you figure out what to do as the harpoons pretty much do nearly all the damage. I honestly look forward to getting to the boss battles because there is so much uncertainty until you get there. Right now 1-4 is kicking my butt, can't wait to get off so I can go home and try again. I'm primarily a melee character but have been using more soul arrows on the more difficult enemies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last call for online; servers go dark end of May. They're also holding two world tendency events for each half of May based on votes.

Heh, anyone who gets the plat after this will truly have to do it legit.

[quote name='Jodou']Last call for online; servers go dark end of May. They're also holding two world tendency events for each half of May based on votes.

Heh, anyone who gets the plat after this will truly have to do it legit.[/QUOTE]

Crap I don't have time to play. I need to check my trophies list. What is the advantage other than mining for better stones?

(I usually don't play online.)

[quote name='slowdive21']Crap I don't have time to play. I need to check my trophies list. What is the advantage other than mining for better stones?

(I usually don't play online.)[/QUOTE]
Trading items to hold for trophies. The game was pretty brutal in needing every single item in the game for the plat. I did all mine legit though.

[quote name='Jodou']Last call for online; servers go dark end of May. They're also holding two world tendency events for each half of May based on votes.

Heh, anyone who gets the plat after this will truly have to do it legit.[/QUOTE]

Playing offline is easier than online though, assuming you're not summoning help.

[quote name='Jodou']Trading items to hold for trophies. The game was pretty brutal in needing every single item in the game for the plat. I did all mine legit though.[/QUOTE]

How do people do that? Aren't they phantoms? I've never summoned help, so I haven't tried any of that stuff.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Once you are summoned or you summon someone, you can drop items for the other player(s)[/QUOTE]
That is a definite yes!

lol unless you dupe pretty much most people who have the plat now are dupe'ers :roll:

Only thing that is really a pain in the ass to get is the pure bladestone, most everything else can be acquired through the course of the required 2.5 playthroughs.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Only thing that is really a pain in the ass to get is the pure bladestone, most everything else can be acquired through the course of the required 2.5 playthroughs.[/QUOTE]

3.5 for Demon's Souls, I thought. 2.5 for Dark Souls. I got the plat without duping, though I did trade someone a bunch of cloudstone I had farmed for a pure bladestone.

^^Yeah some of the stones I have so many I can't store them anymore. I am on my first playthough. Cloudstone shards I just drop on the ground. I haven't made many weapons, but I have been upgrading the falchon (magic regen one) and the dragon long sword, but I ran out of stones to completely upgrade them.

It's the cloudstone chunks that a total pain in the ass to get. I farmed the stormbeasts for so long. At least it's also a great place to grind levels (4-3).

[quote name='guardian_owl']Only thing that is really a pain in the ass to get is the pure bladestone, most everything else can be acquired through the course of the required 2.5 playthroughs.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I didn't even notice when I got mine farming those gold skeletons for souls. By the time I was wrapping up trophies, I only had easy ones left that I just hadn't worked towards.

[quote name='Backlash']3.5 for Demon's Souls, I thought. 2.5 for Dark Souls. I got the plat without duping, though I did trade someone a bunch of cloudstone I had farmed for a pure bladestone.[/QUOTE]
Yep, your right, got the two confused. one thing to keep in mind with cloudstone is it is a good idea to farm for the trophy on your first or second playthrough as by the time you get around to your 3rd+ playthrough in black world tendency it will take more than 1 swing of the stormruler to kill storm beasts.

I recently started playing this game again and got a pure bladestone within 2 hours of grinding. Actually got it before I got all the chunks I needed.

And you guys shouldn't farm for chunks of cloudstone. I'm pretty sure you get enough from treasure during your three playthroughs.

It's allot easier to upgrade the buckler & use the chunks of cloudstone from the body in 4-3. If you play through 3.5 times, that is 8 chunks. You only need 7 chunks for the buckler.

Funny, since Vita's launch I have said the day Dark/Demon Souls comes to the Vita, I will buy one.

I am nervous because I am not seeing a From connection. I think Sony owns the rights to DeS, that is why Dark Souls was not called DeS II. So it is possible that Sony farmed out Souls Sacrifice to some other studio.

Fingers X'd.

Finally beat this game tonight. 137h, lvl 91, Deprived class. Amazing game! I cant recall how long it took me to beat the first one but it was longer than it should have. Load of fun.

hi all,

can anyone help me get the Monk's Head Collar at some point this weekend? I'm pretty sure I have to invade someone who is heading up to fight the world 3 boss.

You don't have to invade - try using your blue eye stone (as if you want to get summoned) anywhere in World 3 and you have a chance of becoming the boss in 3-3. Just put it down somewhere out of the way so you don't actually get summoned as a blue phantom.

[quote name='Backlash']You don't have to invade - try using your blue eye stone (as if you want to get summoned) anywhere in World 3 and you have a chance of becoming the boss in 3-3. Just put it down somewhere out of the way so you don't actually get summoned as a blue phantom.[/QUOTE]
ah, so i can probably just put it down inside of the room where the fight takes place.

Though, i guess I'd still need someone to actually initiate the boss fight?

bread's done
Back