Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's not going down. That article is a year old, as they announced a few weeks later that the shutdown was delayed indefinitely:[/QUOTE]
They better NEVER shut it down :nottalking:

Noob question... Playing as a Royal, soul level ~23 with most points in Magic, I've taken down the bosses of 1-1 and 4-1. Which stage should I seek to clear next?

Latria probably, that's one of the more magic focused locations, in the first stage you'll find a vendor which sells cheap spice (instantly replenishes MP), an NPC you can free to return to the Nexus who knows more advanced spells, and there's is also some nice loot useful for mages. Or 2-1, near the end of that level is a really nice item which boosts the damage of your spells when held in your off-hand.

Until there's a sale on Dark Souls, I've decided to play this again (thanks to PS+).

One question, though: Does playing online screw up world tendency still?

I remember playing before and having trouble reaching Pure White because it 'reset' on me.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Latria probably, that's one of the more magic focused locations, in the first stage you'll find a vendor which sells cheap spice (instantly replenishes MP), an NPC you can free to return to the Nexus who knows more advanced spells, and there's is also some nice loot useful for mages. Or 2-1, near the end of that level is a really nice item which boosts the damage of your spells when held in your off-hand.[/QUOTE]
Ah thanks, I will try 3-1 and 2-1 next then. :)

[quote name='ID2006']Until there's a sale on Dark Souls, I've decided to play this again (thanks to PS+).

One question, though: Does playing online screw up world tendency still?

I remember playing before and having trouble reaching Pure White because it 'reset' on me.[/QUOTE]
If you quit your game while in the Nexus it moves your world tendencies toward the server average (which is usually one shade below pure white). As long as you quit your game while in one of the worlds, it shouldn't do that. Nonetheless, when doing the pure black and pure white events it's usually a good idea to play offline. As long as there is one boss left alive in the world, and you haven't done the pure black events, you can still obtain pure white in that world.

Ok super noob question, but what is this pure white and pure black discussion I keep hearing about? I will go research too, but its always great to hear the thoughts and receive feedback from fellow CAGs :D

You know about body form and soul form right?
There are 8 levels of tendency each world can be in. Each time you die in body form in a world, the tendency drops one level toward black, each time you kill a boss demon it raises one tendency level toward white. The blacker a world is, the stronger the enemies are and the better the drops of items and souls. The whiter a world is, the easier the enemies are to defeat, but they give less souls.

As the world approaches the bottom of black, extra powerful enemies start to appear throughout the world. At the lowest level of black (pure black) a powerful, named black phantom appears (like a mini boss) in that world and also another weak enemy that when killed provides an item which can upgrade unique items. Killing both the named black phantom and the weak demon enemy in one run will boost the world tendency by 2x +3, to one level below pure white.

At pure white world tendency the enemies are at their weakest and in place of the named black phantom NPC is a human version of that NPC which usually has a quest for you to obtain an item.

If you look on your menu there is a world tendency tab which shows the status of all the worlds, here is a color chart.
archstones-wt-boletaria.png

or this video by Atlus also does a good job of explaining world (and character) Tendency
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypMFqL4ximo

Are the servers still up for this? Could someone help me out with the fully upgraded weapons trophies? I've spent way too much time grinding for stones...(that's what she said).

I've gotten ot the point where I have the max of some of them banked.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, servers are still up, whether anyone can help depends on your characters soul level coop range is like + or - 10 or 20 levels) and also what stone are you missing, Pure bladestone?

yep, servers are still up, whether anyone can help depends on your characters soul level coop range is like + or - 10 or 20 levels) and also what stone are you missing, Pure bladestone?
hmm, I'll have to boot up and see where my character is...It's been so long since I played it.

Edit: I am level 100. I dont have any of the upgrade trophies yet. I've been scared to upgrade my stuff. I may have upgraded my crescent falchion, but I think that is it. I will get an item count, so I cane see what I am missing.

OK. I am level 100.

These are the "PURE" stones I have: Clear, Grey, Dragon (3), Sucker, Spider, Cloud, Hard (3), Sharp (3). I also have 2-10 chunks for each of those. Can I build something with those or do I need more?

To get all the weapon upgrade trophies you need:

hardstone, sharpstone, clearstone, greystone, bladestone, dragonstone, suckerstone, mercurystone, marrowstone, moonlightstone, darkmoonstone, faintstone, spiderstone, and cloudstone

For hardstone / sharpstone you will need 40-55 shards, 23-29 large shards, 11-14 chunks, and 1 pure. For the rest you will need 15-20 shards, 6-8 chunks, and 1 pure per weapon, and also however many hardstone or sharpstone shards it takes to get the weapon to the required starting level of +3 or +6 in order to set it down one of the other upgrade paths. If all you care about is the trophy, and not actually using the weapon, then pick the weakest weapon available to upgrade. The crappier the weapon, the fewer stones it takes to upgrade. This has a list of all the stones, and a list of all the weapons which can upgrade with that stone. On that weapon's page it will tell you how many stones it takes.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

Shards and large shards of all ores are usually either purchasable or easily farmable, so feel free to go nuts upgrading as long as you stop upgrading before it requires chunks unless you plan on sticking with that weapon for awhile. Chunks are typically more time intensive to farm, and some pures aren't farmable at all.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/stone-farming

My character that has most of the trophy related stuff is too high for you to coop with, I am not sure what items are on my lower level characters.

Thank you for explaining. I've been so cautious, I didn't want to screw up. I just want the trophies for now. I really like the falcion because of its regen (I think it is magic regen) and I have the guard shield that regens health. It looks like the dragon sword and the crescent falcion are definite upgrades since they already have bonuses.

yep, feel free to upgrade that to +2 I think it is before it requires chunks. Depending on what your Dex and Str stats are, Some of the better darkmoon weapons are the uchi, which is a katana-like blade, that is the highest damage curved blade. If you like the moveset of the falchion, a higher damage version of that weapon (with greater range) is the kilij.The other interesting weapon is the estoc, it is a fencing type weapon in which you thrust with it, you don't slash. Because it is a thrust weapon it does huge amounts of damage when you either parry with your shield and riposte or backstab the enemy. You can also attack with it at the same time your shield is raised.

After putting in about 30 hours into Dark Souls on PC (years after putting 90 hours into the 360 version) I got the urge to start playing this game again so I started a new character.  Amazingly even though its been around 3 years since I've played, I still remember quite a bit and got through 1-1 with no deaths and just about every hidden item.

Looking forward to playing more, even though I have Lego Marvel, Deadly Premonition, and Scribblenauts waiting to be played.

yea I think I got 1-1 down to about 10min including boss fight. I have high hopes of a Demons Souls 2 on PS4 really disliked the way they took it with Dark Souls so dissapointed.

It is an opinion thing . I liked how Demons Souls was more segmented where you could pick worlds instead of it be open world. I beat it but didn't ever want to come back to it like I did with Demons. I am very much in the minority I know.

It is an opinion thing . I liked how Demons Souls was more segmented where you could pick worlds instead of it be open world. I beat it but didn't ever want to come back to it like I did with Demons. I am very much in the minority I know.
Fair enough. I myself loved Demon's, but 'only' really, really liked Dark. I was just curious as to what you disliked about Dark.

I still love Demon's Souls pvp over Dark Souls any day. Dark Souls 2 pvp from the beta; however, is shaping up at least.

Not really. I preferred this game over Dark Souls too.
See this surprises me I always thought you loved Dark Souls. Although you are one of the few people on here as much in love with Dragons Dogma as I was so I guess it really shouldn't surprise me.

On sale this week on PSN for $13.49
There was never a better time to get into the Souls series. If you missed Demons Souls, when it was free on PS+ this is a great deal. I never thought Demons and Dark Souls were for me, but I'm so glad PS+ opened my eyes. The second I finished Demons Souls I went ahead and bought Dark Souls + DLC full price. I love it and I can't wait for DS II!

I'm so close to beating demon's souls. I have owned it since release. I just have the old king and King Allant left to beat. I got my ass kicked by both of them the first and only time I tried either one. Any tips? After that, on to dark souls which I've maybe beat a boss or two.

I will not be buying DS2 without beating both of these first. I do love these games though. They have such great art direction. The moods they create are second to none.

Used to be an exploit on the false king where you could poison cloud him and he wouldn't pull.  You'd just stay down the steps IIRC and keep the dot on him.  Would take a long time like 15-20 minutes but it was a guaranteed victory.  Not sure if they patched that or not.

Be patient, no more than 1 or 2 attacks at a time, if you get greedy he will punish you for it. He is quite resistance to magic so if you buff your weapon use either turpentine or cursed weapon. Occasionally he will charge up and plunge his sword into the ground, get far enough away to get clear of the blast radius and take the opportunity to refresh any of your buff spells. If he raised his sword slowly above his head he is about to do a charge attack, roll to the side to avoid it. If he brings his sword hand up to his left shoulder, he is about to do a jump attack which can knock you down so roll to the side or back to avoid that too. Pick a weapon that has decent reach, if you stay in too close he will try to soul suck you which will cause you to lose a level.

I'm so close to beating demon's souls. I have owned it since release. I just have the old king and King Allant left to beat. I got my ass kicked by both of them the first and only time I tried either one. Any tips? After that, on to dark souls which I've maybe beat a boss or two.

I will not be buying DS2 without beating both of these first. I do love these games though. They have such great art direction. The moods they create are second to none.
Don't move when you leave the elevator through the fog and equip your bow. You can use the arc of the arrows to shoot over the steps. Bring a ton of poison darts. That way you keep seeing his life bar and you know how to adjust your aim, because he gets pushed back out of sight by the damage animation.

Thanks. I'm gonna go with the melee strategy offered by guardian owl. I already "cheated" on maneater (which I thought was the hardest boss- mainly because I kept falling off). I need to use a non-enchanted weapon and curse it. Thanks for the tip.

I think I beat maneater legit. I cheesed on that giant knight. I'll have to see what I have left. I was working on the plat and I lost track of where I was. I think I have the false king left and maybe some other boss...probably whoever is after the monk.

Only fight I ever cheesed in Demon's Souls is Selen Vinland Black Phantom, so unfair that she can move fast on the muck and you can't. Every time in my first playthrough I would get her health low and then she would fast roll away 3 or 4 times out of melee and spell range and heal.

Key to beating Maneater is keeping close to the fire cauldron in the center of the walkway so they can't knock you off, and fire damage. They must be made of straw, non-dairy creamer, and doused with kerosene as on my second playthrough I hit them with firestorm and they burned up REAL quick.

I hate the swamp level so much. I might have the last boss on that to beat still. I just looked it up. Yeah I think I have to beat the false king and maiden Astrea to complete the regular worlds.

Getting back into this after watching Brad & Vinny's run through the game on Giant Bomb, which actually reminded me that I completely forgot how to use Soul Arrow when I first tried to play through 1-1. I guess I lost the Phalanx-beaten save when my HDD crashed over the summer, so I still had to do that with the added reminder of the existence of Soul Arrow to make it easy as pie. I was disappointed that I got to that Dragon area with lots of loot by the bridge where they were freaking out about trying to run back and forth to get all of the items and the dragons weren't there since I guess beating Phalanx causes the dragons to move elsewhere, so that was an easy loot run. Ran around everywhere I could in 1-1 after going back to the Nexus to finish up the last of the tutorial stuff with the Monumental first until I came across the real dragon bridge, so I may check out some of the other areas in the game that I saw in Breaking Brad videos.

Here's the video I did of that No Soul Arrow Royal run of Phalanx for those wondering how I beat it (keep in mind that I basically came back to this point having not played it in probably two or three months since the PSN version was released):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynCNf_bpHyk

I played the game blind at first with a priest so the Phalanx battle was 45 minutes of me endlessly circling the enemy chipping away at the blob hoplites with my mace that were blocking the way to the boss as I didn't know he was weak against fire.

I played the game blind at first with a priest so the Phalanx battle was 45 minutes of me endlessly circling the enemy chipping away at the blob hoplites with my mace that were blocking the way to the boss as I didn't know he was weak against fire.
This is what I did too...but I was a thief. If I knew I would have so many of the items I would have used them. Ive never used anything in the game because I enchanted my equipment early on, so it doesnt work on it. (white goo, turpintine, etc) I dont even know what they do. lol

Turpentine = coat your non-enchanted weapon in tree resin and set it on fire to do an extra 80 fire damage per strike for 60 seconds

Black Turpentine = coat your non-enchanted weapon in black tree resin from the diseased trees of the valley of Defilement and set it on fire to do an extra 150 fire damage per strike for 30 seconds

Sticky White Stuff = coat your non-enchanted weapon in the mucous excreted from the glowing slugs (which have bathed in the phosphorescent pool at the Shrine of Storms) to do an extra 110 magic damage for 60 seconds.

Used to be an exploit on the false king where you could poison cloud him and he wouldn't pull. You'd just stay down the steps IIRC and keep the dot on him. Would take a long time like 15-20 minutes but it was a guaranteed victory. Not sure if they patched that or not.
Death cloud works much faster :) I used it on the old king and also on the black phantom in the cave in 2-2 (can't remember his name anymore).

bread's done
Back