Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='Jam424']About to start this game, anyone want to help me get through a little bit of it?[/QUOTE]

Start as a Royal...I'm around 31 or 32 since I do not have much time (zero until Sunday night, if then)...so hit me up when you get near your 30s.

Soul Arrow and the MP regen ring really help on that first level. Learn to roll if you want to melee at all. Soul Arrow the Blue Knight (easiest way early on with a Royal) and do not try the Red Knight for a while unless you really like death. Kill 1-1 boss and then get ready to start leveling....there's plenty of good info on how to do that depending on how you like to play.

I teamed up with io just now to give him a couple items for trophies. We got invaded 3 times in 1-2. We were passed by by the first guy, and finished the trade and then went looking for him. I ran into him and he tried to use firestorm, so I used firestorm as well. I lived, he died. Good stuff. I don't know about you, io, but I was laughing my ass off after that.
Second guy invaded shortly thereafter. He came running at us, so I did what comes naturally, I used firestorm. It hit him and knocked him back, only taking about half of his life. This guy figures that, upon getting up, it would be a good idea to cast warding. It wasn't. He casts warding, and runs at me again. I cast firestorm again, dead.
I start to go through the level with io, but I lose him (many times) when a 3rd BP invades. io manages to kill him somehow, I guess (or the dragon does). I wasn't around to see it.
Then io gets killed by the dragon, and I figure it's time to stop.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I teamed up with io just now to give him a couple items for trophies. We got invaded 3 times in 1-2. We were passed by by the first guy, and finished the trade and then went looking for him. I ran into him and he tried to use firestorm, so I used firestorm as well. I lived, he died. Good stuff. I don't know about you, io, but I was laughing my ass off after that.
Second guy invaded shortly thereafter. He came running at us, so I did what comes naturally, I used firestorm. It hit him and knocked him back, only taking about half of his life. This guy figures that, upon getting up, it would be a good idea to cast warding. It wasn't. He casts warding, and runs at me again. I cast firestorm again, dead.
I start to go through the level with io, but I lose him (many times) when a 3rd BP invades. io manages to kill him somehow, I guess (or the dragon does). I wasn't around to see it.
Then io gets killed by the dragon, and I figure it's time to stop.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. You say the first one passed us by? I didn't know that. It must have been when I was frantically trying to drop your stuff ;).

I did kill that third one - he was on top of the second tower and I had my Graverobber's ring on so I don't think he saw me till I popped right up the stairs in front of him. He did manage to cast warding but I got him down to about 20% with my moon winged spear and then he cast something big and it killed me but thanks to your tip (ie, seeing you cast it) I had Second Chance active (luckily I had it memorized though I don't use it too often). I think the second phantom killed me too because I had to recast it after that. But, anyway, I think I surprised him by getting back up and then after one more poke with my spear he was toast. He should have healed while I was knocked down ;).

That was actually pretty damn fun - teaming up on black phantoms that is. And boy did they come fast and furious there - hardly a break!

As for the end, well, that was kind of funny because I have always taken care of the red dragon first thing before proceeding to the Tower Knight. I had NO IDEA the dragon came back along that last stretch of bridge leading up to the boss. That was a complete surprise to me. I was going to do what I usually do and go take out all the grunts manning the bridge :lol:.

We ran into the first BP on the bridge in the first tower-thing, after the area the dragon first comes down.
Also, I avenged you. I went back to the nexus, memorized poison cloud, and killed the dragon.

Using God's Wrath on the Red Dragon near the begining of that bridge when he swoops down was the easiest method IMO. My faith is only 25, but with the Miracle ring, i was doing 450ish per cast. You just gotta make sure to time it right.

I'm currently on my 2nd playthrough, but with Ratchet & Clank & MW2 burning a hole in my backlog, I decided just to take a break from DS. I've still got 600 levels to go before i hit the cap, so i'll probably start playing again eventually.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']This guy figures that, upon getting up, it would be a good idea to cast warding.[/QUOTE]
Man, if you're going to PvP at that level, you always run with anti-magic memorized. That guy was an idiot.

So, Jodou and I are now ranked 11th and 12th in the world, respectively, for # of souls collected. We're both 712.

I feel kinda bad for the guy right below me at 13. He's around SLvL 550, and he's been playing for 200+ hours. Looks like he's doing it legit.

Anyway, just gotta beat World 2 3 and 5 to get my Plat. If anyone else is 712 and wants to help me lemme know lol.

Oh I found out a cool glitch to kill False King very quickly. It's just as safe as Poison Cloud, but it's a lot faster. Basically just lower your health to

Does False King eventually return to his original spot when you hit him that far away? Seems like a lot of mobs will do that eventually if they can't "see" or get to you. I tried killing the black skel at the beginning of 4-1 this way--took a while, but it can be done.

I'm not sure, he might, but it just might take a while. Either way, you do less damage cause he's farther away, but its not a whole lot less. You should be doing a lot anyway because of Morion + Clever Rats. It was definitely a lot faster than poison cloud. In NG+ Poison cloud takes around 30 minutes, this took like, 3 minutes.

I need to make this Morion blade thing but I don't think I can this playthrough (my second). I think I used that soul for a spell or miracle. I have all the miracles done and should get all the spells next play.

All I have left on this one is the Storm King and the False King. I may go ahead and do the Foe's ring sequence as well since it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to borrow that one.

Thanks to Chibi I got the bladestone trophy, as that was gonna be a serious pain. However, I still have the cloudstone one to do. I used the large sword of searching (which I just made last night) to farm the greystone chunks I needed for the crushing axe. But for the cloudstones I only have one chunk and I think that is on a corpse in 4-3. So I'll get one more this play but then I still need 5 more. Since they never drop from the stingrays it looks like 7 playthroughs are needed to get that :roll:.

The guide says to get the stingrays in 4-2 because they have a higher chance of dropping them. But in 4-2 it is impossible to get them to fall on the narrow cliff-side path (the onlyplace you are outside). maybe that was a typo and they meant 4-3? Still, I farmed there quite a bit last game and never got one. I have tons of shards though.

Someone here said the red eye knights on 1-3 are good for soulsucker and give you like 52K. Wrongo - I get about 12k from them with the Ring of Avarice on. The guide doesn't mention them at all - what it talks about is the black phantom black katana skeleton on 4-2 that you can backtrack from the 4-3 archstone to get to. I guess this is also how you can get bladestones. I'm not sure if I'll bother with that though it will probably be good for me to make the world 4 WT black so I can get a better chance of cloudstone drops too so maybe I can farm some levels from the skeleton too.

But another good place to do it that is really easy and very quick is by backtracking from the 3-4 archstone to the black phantom Octupus men in the stairwell. You can get about 20-30K just from those 2 and it only takes a minute. And it doesn't require black WT for those guys to show up.

Also, someone said the Talisman of Beasts is not as good as a dedicated catalyst or talisman. Well, it may have to do with my magic and faith levels, but it does WAY more damage than my silver catalyst. I finally decided to try it last night and now it is saving me a ton of time from trying to switch them back and forth all the time - it is nice to have one thing to use for everything! I would recommend using that ASAP.

You and Chibi can always dupe w/e you need to level up a weapon as long as you have at least one of the item.

I got your message, Hari. Let me know if you still need help.

I think they must have meant 4-3 cause its impossible to get the drop from storm beasts if you kill them in 4-2. However, even in 4-3, the chunks are still rare as fuck. I must've done 5 runs, and gotten 1 chunk. Even then, I still had a bunch of stones that fell over rocks and I couldn't pick them up cause of the way the storm beasts fall and die.

7 Playthroughs is probably overkill. Remember to find out which shield requires the least amount of materials to upgrade. Looks like soldier's shield or buckler is a good option.

Congrats to the Demon's Soul thread -- more posts and more views than Uncharted 2. It's understandable considering there are so many more components to discuss, but still very impressive for a niche game that very few people knew about until the game actually launched.

So I think this game will have strong legs.

[quote name='Jodou']Man, if you're going to PvP at that level, you always run with anti-magic memorized. That guy was an idiot.[/QUOTE]

What exactly does anti-magic do? Does it negate all spells for a short time or something? I have it but I've never felt the need to use it in the regular game.

[quote name='IRHari']I think they must have meant 4-3 cause its impossible to get the drop from storm beasts if you kill them in 4-2. However, even in 4-3, the chunks are still rare as fuck. I must've done 5 runs, and gotten 1 chunk. Even then, I still had a bunch of stones that fell over rocks and I couldn't pick them up cause of the way the storm beasts fall and die.

7 Playthroughs is probably overkill. Remember to find out which shield requires the least amount of materials to upgrade. Looks like soldier's shield or buckler is a good option.[/QUOTE]

I said 7 playthroughs because there is only 1 you get from a corpse - and given how many rays I've killed and collected drops from without getting a single chunk I figure I may have to go that many. And I already checked the guide - 7 is the minimum you need for the crappy shields, which is why I said 7 ;).

But now that I have the large sword of searching, I'll try making the WT black and then going after them so more. The spiderstone drops from the miners in 2-2 increased dramatically in black WT so maybe it will help with these as well. Like you said, though, it is hard to get the drops not to be on top of rocks you can't reach :bomb:.

I had to go into the end of 2-2 about 15 times last night with the sword (but not at black WT) to get 4 chunks of greystone. So I don't expect rapid progress - but I need to get 6 chunks... It would be nice to upgrade a decent shield, but oh well - I guess there's no point.

[quote name='io']What exactly does anti-magic do? Does it negate all spells for a short time or something? I have it but I've never felt the need to use it in the regular game.[/QUOTE]
As in you can't cast spells at all. It completely shuts down mages.

[quote name='IRHari']I think they must have meant 4-3 cause its impossible to get the drop from storm beasts if you kill them in 4-2. However, even in 4-3, the chunks are still rare as fuck. I must've done 5 runs, and gotten 1 chunk. Even then, I still had a bunch of stones that fell over rocks and I couldn't pick them up cause of the way the storm beasts fall and die.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='io']I said 7 playthroughs because there is only 1 you get from a corpse - and given how many rays I've killed and collected drops from without getting a single chunk I figure I may have to go that many. And I already checked the guide - 7 is the minimum you need for the crappy shields, which is why I said 7 ;).

But now that I have the large sword of searching, I'll try making the WT black and then going after them so more. The spiderstone drops from the miners in 2-2 increased dramatically in black WT so maybe it will help with these as well. Like you said, though, it is hard to get the drops not to be on top of rocks you can't reach :bomb:.[/QUOTE]

The way I got the chunks was farming on 4-1. Reason why is that the rays there drop every time. I would run up the stairs, kill the first two rays, then jump off the ledge, repeat. (Those two rays were the easiest to get the drops to fall on land). The chunks were very rare, it probably took me as long to farm them as it was to get a pure bladestone.

I couldn't figure out how to get rays on 4-2 to drop on a ledge, and on 4-3 the drops alone were rare (so just having a chance at a rare chunk was that much more miniscule). Plus that area gives me a headache to begin with.

io: I think I have the soul for the morion blade, I just haven't bothered making it. I could try to make it sometime and give it to you.

[quote name='Jodou']As in you can't cast spells at all. It completely shuts down mages.[/QUOTE]

But it only works in a certain range. I've killed someone with magic when there was anti-magic field around.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']But it only works in a certain range. I've killed someone with magic when there was anti-magic field around.[/QUOTE]
The point is, it protects you within lethal range. Outside the field, everything is very easy to dodge or block. If they died to something outside the range, then they deserved to die for being awful.

[quote name='Jodou']As in you can't cast spells at all. It completely shuts down mages.[/QUOTE]

I had that on for the old monk fight tonight and people were casting away... Clue me in.

[quote name='salty tbone']The way I got the chunks was farming on 4-1. Reason why is that the rays there drop every time. I would run up the stairs, kill the first two rays, then jump off the ledge, repeat. (Those two rays were the easiest to get the drops to fall on land). The chunks were very rare, it probably took me as long to farm them as it was to get a pure bladestone.

I couldn't figure out how to get rays on 4-2 to drop on a ledge, and on 4-3 the drops alone were rare (so just having a chance at a rare chunk was that much more miniscule). Plus that area gives me a headache to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Well, I did a bit of farming on 4-3 tonight. I went in about 15 times and got ONE chunk. I even spent 7 or 8 stones of ephemeral eyes to get it to black. When I did that the drops were much more frequent but I still didn't get any chunks (I got the one early on when it was white). But, for example, one time in black WT I got 7 drops from the rays, but all shards... Then the server bugged out and when I came back in it was in neutral WT! WTF!? I disabled online after that and will get it back to dark again tomorrow. I also noticed that a few worlds I had at pure white went down a notch and I didn't do a thing in there. The onlne is hosed in that respect (it always seems to revert to neutral by one step each time you log in).

The good thing about farming on 4-3, at least, is that you get a lot of souls out of it as well, so it was sort of worth it for that, though it is getting tedious.

Then I discovered I screwed up in my last game. I had read in the guide that there is a chunk as treasure on 4-3. I had one in my inventory before I got to 4-3 this game so I assumed that was from the treasure. But then I couldn't find it in the NG+. I looked at the FAQ and it says there are "some" chunks on a body near Storm Ruler (the sword). I was, like, WTF!? I went all over there. So I just went back in and it is WAY off to the right of Storm Ruler down by the cliffs. You have to jump down (or follow the cliff) to get to it. The fucking body has TWO of them. So, yeah, I missed them on my first game but must have gotten one from a drop. Add the 1 drop I got tonight and the 2 from the corpse and I now have 4 of the 7 minimum. I guess I need to play 2 more times anyway to get all the spells and weapons, though on the 4th playthrough you don't need to do World 4 at all (I'm already done with all the demon's souls there in terms of weapons/spells). So unless I can farm 1 more I'll need to play through all that on the 4th playthrough. (I'll get two more from the 3rd play anyway).

So, yeah, in any case at least it doesn't require 7 playthroughs like I said earlier.

Now, the bladestones are a bitch and I'm super glad Chibi had that Sharp weapon to lend me. While I had world 4 briefly black I backtracked from the Old Hero archstone to the black phantom black katana skeleton. It was a bit of a pain because you have to go through the glowling light cave and I actually got killed there like 3 times - my shield didn't seem to work this time. But when I finally got to him and used soulsucker I'm pretty sure I got 25K + 50K for the spell. 75K on one kill is tremendous. I also got a single chunk of bladestone - my first so far in the game! That pure bladestone would be a nightmare.

To contrast, the geckos in 4-3 yielded 4 or 5 pure moonlightstones (or maybe darkmoonstones, I forget) when I took them out after Storm King :roll:.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']io: I think I have the soul for the morion blade, I just haven't bothered making it. I could try to make it sometime and give it to you.

But it only works in a certain range. I've killed someone with magic when there was anti-magic field around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I no longer need it - it was Storm King's soul that made it and I just beat him in my second game and made the sword. Now I can try the strategy of that + clever rat's ring + bow to take out the False King.

So, when certain enemies like the Octopus Men and Maneater cast that ringed shield like thing is that the anti-magic field?

Got my Platinum today, finally! Thanks to Jodou for all the help.

Funny thing happened, I was fighting maneater, I got the first one down to one arrow before the fog, then I went in and killed him. Second one swooped down, I cast firestorm, and he was down to a sliver of life. Then he disappeared. I spent like 5 minutes looking for him. Turns out he was flying above the old monk tower, REALLY REALLY high up. I couldn't attack him in any way so I just walked around hoping he would come down. Eventually he did and I killed him, but I'm wondering if this bug might have to do with me attacking the first maneater through the fog?

Yeah no matter what you do this game should NEVER require more than 4 playthroughs to get platinum, unless you fuck something up with the boss demon souls.

[quote name='IRHari']Got my Platinum today, finally! Thanks to Jodou for all the help.[/QUOTE]
Grats, mate! About Maneater: you just found one of the ways I used to bug them out for a 1v1 until I was ready to fight the other. You can either get him to fly sky high or infinitely run into the fog by using thief's ring and some baiting. The boss AI is really, really bad in this game to a seasoned exploiter lol.
[quote name='gunm']How much "easier" is the game @ soul level 712? One shot a lot of things?[/QUOTE]
Many of the bosses you can one-shot with firestorm. Any strong spell will usually kill everything in one hit. I mean, you have to be trying real hard to get yourself killed at 712.

I dunno I got hit twice by BP Satsuki and died pretty quickly in body form.

I was in Soul Form in your game Jodou, and the BP OctopusMan one shotted me with soul arrow when I was at full health.

I was being dumb, and it wasn't cheap, but yeah, the game is overall a lot easier at 712, needless to say.

[quote name='io']
Then I discovered I screwed up in my last game. I had read in the guide that there is a chunk as treasure on 4-3. I had one in my inventory before I got to 4-3 this game so I assumed that was from the treasure. But then I couldn't find it in the NG+. I looked at the FAQ and it says there are "some" chunks on a body near Storm Ruler (the sword). I was, like, WTF!? I went all over there. So I just went back in and it is WAY off to the right of Storm Ruler down by the cliffs. You have to jump down (or follow the cliff) to get to it. The fucking body has TWO of them. So, yeah, I missed them on my first game but must have gotten one from a drop. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning this because I totally missed them in my first (and second) playthrough too. I'm thinking there is still a single chunk at the beginning of 4-3 as treasure, though, but I can't remember for sure. Either way I wasted a bunch of time farming chunks when there were two on the cliff the whole time.

[quote name='IRHari']I was in Soul Form in your game Jodou, and the BP OctopusMan one shotted me with soul arrow when I was at full health.[/QUOTE]
Lol, that was just seconds after you were warning me about him, even though I was already prepping and hiding around the corner to pop out. I saw you out there trying to bow him and said this dude is gonna die, just as you did.

Yeah seriously i JUST found out you can side roll and dodge while you're in that 3rd person bow aiming mode. Oh that would've saved me so many herbs and deaths :(

[quote name='IRHari']Funny thing happened, I was fighting maneater, I got the first one down to one arrow before the fog, then I went in and killed him. [/QUOTE]

I see a lot of people talking about getting him to one arrow before going in. Why? Can't you just kill him outright before going in? That's what I've done the two times I've fought Maneater.

Salty - I don't think there is a single chunk treasure at the start. I've been all through that level and haven't found another. Though I suppose maybe I didn't look up near the top that much since I just come in at the Storm King archstone and take out the rays there directly. I'll check it out later as I'll be in there for sure. I want to farm at least one more so I don't have to bother with world 4 in my 4th playthrough (that will give me 5, then I can add the 2 from next playtrhough and I'll have the 7 to upgrade a stupid buckler or something). I still have some sort of hope for DLC or possibly using the save in a sequel, though, and would like to upgrade a purple flame shield. But I think that requires 9 chunks.

Since I'm just about done with my second playthrough I might try the black CT stuff (Mephistopheles quests). I don't think I'm gonna get someone to lend me the Foe's ring so I might as well - it's the only one I have left to get.

I'm in a rut with this game. About halfway through my new game + and fuck it is just SO hard. I thought that once I got SoulSucker things might get better but I'm not really sure where I should farm souls with it. Any tips? I think I'll try to get to 4-4 at least so I can farm there.

[quote name='sotc1988']I'm in a rut with this game. About halfway through my new game + and fuck it is just SO hard. I thought that once I got SoulSucker things might get better but I'm not really sure where I should farm souls with it. Any tips? I think I'll try to get to 4-4 at least so I can farm there.[/QUOTE]

Get World 4 to Pure Black WT. Equip Soul Sucker and Evacuate and a decent bow and Thiefs Ring and Ring of Avarice.

Go to the Old Hero Archstone and backtrack through the slug/white ball room. Go kill the 3rd reaper with your bow. Keep going till you're close to outside.

You should see a Black Phantom Black Skeleton. Get close enough to soulsuck him (your left foot should be barely past the grass) and he'll give you 56k souls. Keep going and there will be 2 Black Phantom Gold Skellies. Soulsuck them (run away after you suck the first so the second turns around). Keep going. You should be in the room with the 2nd reaper, kill him with your bow and evacuate.

This is what Jodou and I did before we glitched. You should get around 130k souls each run.

[quote name='io']Salty - I don't think there is a single chunk treasure at the start. I've been all through that level and haven't found another. [/QUOTE]

You're probably right. Perhaps I was thinking of another hard-to-find chunk such as greystone that there's a treasure of one.

[quote name='salty tbone']You're probably right. Perhaps I was thinking of another hard-to-find chunk such as greystone that there's a treasure of one.[/QUOTE]

I was short on greystones too, but I got those by going to the Flamelurker archstone, backtracking to 2-2, and attacking the 6 worms that spawn there. It took me about 45 minutes to get the 3 or 4 more chunks I needed. They tend to drop a little more frequently than the rays.

Alright guys I am a bit behind most of the followers here but i have 1-4 left.. from things I have read its
not the last boss I have a feeling

But is there anything i should do before proceeding? I have farmed some of the geckos but do I need to use any of my demon souls or colorless before I move forward?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Snake2715']Alrioght guys I am a bit behind most of the followers here but i have 1-4 left.. from things I have read its
not the last boss I have a feeling

But is there anything i should do before proceeding? I have farmed some of the geckos but do I need to use any of my demon souls or colorless before I move forward?[/QUOTE]

You don't need to use the colorless souls, but be sure to get them all. Especially the two from the bird's nest lady that are easy.

As far as the demon souls, I'd use the ones that have multiple uses if you're interested in getting the platinum trophy with the minimum four playthroughs.

Another consideration would be that in NG+ you can't do special upgrades until you beat Flamelurker again. During my NG+, I was regretting not being able to use colorless souls on items that would have boosted my magic that would have made Flamelurker easier to beat.

So my xbox rrod'd on friday in the middle of MW2 run. It was out of warranty, so I traded it to GS for $60 in credit. I was either going to get Dragon Age or DS.

I picked this game up (possibly against my better judgment haha) and have had it sitting beside my ps3 for 2 days and just reading about how to start out so that I wont tear my hair out.

I would say I am pretty decent at games and like RPGs. Some people have said that the game is not THAT hard but I dunno. I bought it used at Gamestop so I guess I will just return it if its too frustrating.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for starting out, thanks.

[quote name='stk i wvu']
I would say I am pretty decent at games and like RPGs. Some people have said that the game is not THAT hard but I dunno. I bought it used at Gamestop so I guess I will just return it if its too frustrating.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for starting out, thanks.[/QUOTE]

It isn't that hard, but it can be challenging especially if you don't know the right strategy (and if you know all the tips and tricks parts of it can be stunningly easy ;)).

What we always tell people is to start off with the "Royalty" class. Being able to attack at range with the soul arrow spell makes the first level 100x easier than melee (I would imagine - I never tried melee on that level until my NG+ and I was level 96 then). But I know Shipwreck couldn't make it through the first boss on his advance review copy - he probably started off as a fighter class. I had little problem playing as a Royal and I'm by no means the best gamer at reflex-type games (which this is when in combat).

I'm stuck in whatever the world is right after 1-1. Those fucking zombie things take forever to kill, and I'm out of health potions so I can't get through the first part of the level without dying. Any tips?

I'm a hunter. I'm using the sword like the tip said, but it doesn't help much.

What I did was I went back through 1-1 multiple times just to grind and level my character up.
I started out as a Hunter also and used the axe for quite awhile until I started using a spear almost full time now. While you're still starting out you should just always keep your shield up and roll. Retreat if you need time to recuperate and head back in when you're ready.

i didn't read any tips or guides though so i dunno what I should have done. Not sure what a Hunter is actually supposed to be good at, but i'm whoring out my STR and END, and now I'm just starting to work on a little bit of VIT and DEX. Eventually I should start doing Magic and Luck as well I guess...

Anyone have tips on the 1-4 boss? He got me with soulsucker 3 times and knocked my intelligence down to 37 from 40, causing me to lose a magic slot - so I think melee is out of the question based on my lack of skill. I have a +5 sticky bow, but I always have trouble moving out of targeting mode in time to dodge against regular enemies. Again, any suggestions are welcome!

[quote name='coolz481']Anyone have tips on the 1-4 boss? He got me with soulsucker 3 times and knocked my intelligence down to 37 from 40, causing me to lose a magic slot - so I think melee is out of the question based on my lack of skill. I have a +5 sticky bow, but I always have trouble moving out of targeting mode in time to dodge against regular enemies. Again, any suggestions are welcome![/QUOTE]

Yes, you can cheese him in two ways apparently.

The easiest, though it takes a while, is to sneak up behind him and cast poison cloud, then slowly retreat. In the original game I think I had to do this 5 or 6 times, maybe? In NG+ I hear it take even longer. The other way, which I am going to try soon as I'm near the end of my NG+, was mentioned a few pages back. Apparently there is a spot you can use the bow on without having him attack you. I'm very hesitant to try it because I'm worried I'll screw up and he'll come after me. Where I'm at now soul levles are so hard to come by and they only so slowly increase your ability that I don't want to lose any.

I tried black phantom Satsuki out tonight with the clever rat's ring and he was much harder than in the original game. I wiped him out pretty quickly last time once I had gained a few levels, had the moon winged spear +5, and used the clever rat's ring - like I think it only took 4 or 5 hits to get him down so even if I didn't get him before he healed it was no big deal to knock him back down again. This time it took 10-15 hits to get him down, and then I kept missing his healing. I finally just gave up as there's no point to doing it again anyway. But the point is that this game definitely still keeps you on your toes even when you get to really high levels (I'm around 150 now).

I also managed to farm one more cloudstone chunk in about 12 visits to 4-3. That's enough I suppose since I now have 5 and will get 2 more in the next game - then I can finally knock out that last upgrade trophy as I'm closing in on the others. I think I'm going to do the black CT stuff soon, though I'm afraid with how tough Satsuki was that I'll have some problems with some of the Nexus characters. I guess I'll find out.

So, I have a question. If you attack someone in the Nexus and get killed, do they continue to go after you when you respawn, or is all forgotten at that point?

[quote name='DarthPuma']I'm stuck in whatever the world is right after 1-1. Those fucking zombie things take forever to kill, and I'm out of health potions so I can't get through the first part of the level without dying. Any tips?

I'm a hunter. I'm using the sword like the tip said, but it doesn't help much.[/QUOTE]

You know, I've been all through this game and back to every level many, many, times and I still don't know what you are talking about here. Do you mean world 2, or the next part of 1? World 2 has the miners - is that it? I never had much trouble with them even at a low level. In fact, I would suggest to others who tried world 4 or 5 first after 1-1, to go to 2 instead. But you may simply have to do what imascrub suggested. I think I farmed a few levels off the red eye knight on 1-1 before I moved on to anything else. Once you get the thief's ring (which you should have from 1-1) you can whittle him down with arrows or soul arrow (though you probably don't have that) and then run and repeat. The thing to remember in this game is that the enemies always return to their spots if you can get far enough away (and it helps tremendously to use the thief's ring).

I would suggest putting levels into strength at first so that you can equip the winged spear and purple flame shield that you can get pretty early. In the mean time, buy a heater shield from Boldwin in the Nexus. You can get the winged spear off a corpse along the bridge in 1-2 that the dragon breathes fire on. Just run out, grab it, and let yourself get killed. You will then have pretty much one of the best weapons in the game right off the bat. The shield you can get from the dragon's roost. I waited till I killed the red dragon, but apparently you can get it the same way - by running out with good timing and getting it before he gets back. I'm still using those two (fully upgraded now of course) for 90% of my combat (the rest being arrows or spells).

So I finally had to start playing another game tonight and busted open Ratchet & Clank. The funny thing is I died a few times in that because I kept trying to roll by pushing 'O'. I also kept worrying about Ratchet's wrench breaking. I think I've been playing too much Demon's Souls ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']You know, I've been all through this game and back to every level many, many, times and I still don't know what you are talking about here. Do you mean world 2, or the next part of 1? World 2 has the miners - is that it? I never had much trouble with them even at a low level. In fact, I would suggest to others who tried world 4 or 5 first after 1-1, to go to 2 instead. But you may simply have to do what imascrub suggested. I think I farmed a few levels off the red eye knight on 1-1 before I moved on to anything else. Once you get the thief's ring (which you should have from 1-1) you can whittle him down with arrows or soul arrow (though you probably don't have that) and then run and repeat. The thing to remember in this game is that the enemies always return to their spots if you can get far enough away (and it helps tremendously to use the thief's ring).

.[/QUOTE]

I thought that as well....about the enemies always returning to their original spot...until the dual sword black skeleton did not on 4-1 (the one before the last fog). The jerk followed me out to the ledge and I accidentally imitated a lemming after he took down 3/4 of my health in 1 swipe.

If anyone helped out a person with Flamelurker (I was around SL36) last night and got the shaft on the ratings, that was me. I feel bad...my son (3) started screaming when FL was almost dead...had to run after he was killed and got to give them a 'C' rating (1 sec left on rating when I got back)...I feel bad and apologize if it was any fellow CAG member.

So, 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 down and I can get to the black skele on 4-1 before the last fog (might be able to take him out). Should I do 4-1 next or something else? I think I am around SL40 now. I hated 3-1...but I made it to the keys to unlock the gate to the gate to the right off the entrance.

[quote name='coolz481']Anyone have tips on the 1-4 boss? He got me with soulsucker 3 times and knocked my intelligence down to 37 from 40, causing me to lose a magic slot - so I think melee is out of the question based on my lack of skill. I have a +5 sticky bow, but I always have trouble moving out of targeting mode in time to dodge against regular enemies. Again, any suggestions are welcome![/QUOTE]

When I beat him the first time, I used the sticky bow but never went into targeting mode. I just locked on and fired. He moves slowly and doesn't avoid you're arrows well. Plus it gives you enough time to dodge his attacks from a safe distance. Also, when he goes into his charged attack, it opens him up to several easy arrow hits.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I'm stuck in whatever the world is right after 1-1. Those fucking zombie things take forever to kill, and I'm out of health potions so I can't get through the first part of the level without dying. Any tips?

I'm a hunter. I'm using the sword like the tip said, but it doesn't help much.[/QUOTE]

I did a hunter as well.

If you are out of life, go back to 1-1 and go through it a couple of times, that will allow you to restock.

I also ran with the axe for some time and a smaller shield that I could parry the enemies attacks with.. I only went to a larger shield after getting killed mutliple times on world 4. Those skeletons at the time could stun me and they were so fast I couldnt get the parry timing down.

Also typically in RPGs i am a mage or theif... this time I went for a bit more of a brute but use the bows a lot. I can 1 hit kill a lot of things now. I would suggest you get dexterity up (helps bow damage) or get some magic up. This way you have a ranged attack as well.

Until that level however get good at the parry and then counterstrike with your axe, or even that sword.

Also remember you dont have to do 1-2 at first I dont think, you can branch out to other worlds.

just started playing this game this weekend..great game thou i messed up on upgrading stats i dont need right way so gonna farm the red eyes knight in 1-1 so i can atleast have the purple shield..
so for new comers to the game like others suggest upgrade strenght in the beginning is a good choice

bread's done
Back