Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='io']So, I have a question. If you attack someone in the Nexus and get killed, do they continue to go after you when you respawn, or is all forgotten at that point?[/QUOTE]

They'll remain hostile until you kill them, or you start a new game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jmbreci']I thought that as well....about the enemies always returning to their original spot...until the dual sword black skeleton did not on 4-1 (the one before the last fog). The jerk followed me out to the ledge and I accidentally imitated a lemming after he took down 3/4 of my health in 1 swipe.

So, 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 down and I can get to the black skele on 4-1 before the last fog (might be able to take him out). Should I do 4-1 next or something else? I think I am around SL40 now. I hated 3-1...but I made it to the keys to unlock the gate to the gate to the right off the entrance.[/QUOTE]

Even at the level I'm at now, I still have to take him (the black skeleton before the boss) out with hit and run tactics. I stand at the top of the stairs, hit him with an arrow, and then run back down the corridor past the trap button. He never follows me out into the outer area. Make sure you have the thief's ring on or they will follow you much further. That is one of the harder bosses to get back to should you fail it (have to go all through 4-1 again and fight that stupid black skeleton again). Make sure you run immediately down all the stairs to fight him. I made the mistake of trying to take him out from above like the Tower Knight but his tongue attack will get you through the walls and you have no idea when it is coming. Get down below and circle around him. The only other level that is as much of a pain to get through again is 5-1. Fortunately most of the other levels (especially the second parts of each world) have shortcuts you can take once you clear things out.

For 3-1, I was jumping the octopus men and trying to kill them with my spear before they could cast anything on me. I was somewhat successful doing that in my first playthrough. Now I just take them out with arrows - much easier and they seem particularly susceptible to them. Just get ready to dodge their soul ray counterattack. Other than those guys, 3-1 isn't particularly hard, just lots of running around to find keys. You could try 5-1 but I found (and still find) the bigger club-wielding guys to be a serious pain. And it is much harder to run away in that level because of all the narrow walkways.

I found 4-1 relatively easy--if you can get to the boss, then just go for it since he's probably the easiest in the game. I think I was about SL40 too when I did it, too. For me, the Golden Skels were more difficult since you have to fight them on the cliff and there's really no room to roll/dodge. I ended up using magic to get through that part since my attack power wasn't too good, I didn't have a mace/blunt weapon, and I just didn't want to spend a lot of time fighting them. I keep thief's ring on pretty much all the time, so for the black skels, the first one I can kill either with arrows from below the ledge he's on, or just bait him into the long corridor and backstab him when he gives up and walks back. The second one, I just lure him into the courtyard so I have more room to dodge/roll. The third I can kill w/flame toss, but there's enough room to melee if you want to just turpentine your weapon and have at it.

Right now, I'm just farming the easy reaper in 4-2. Rescued Urbain, but I don't feel like seeing the entire level through just yet as I'd like to have a bit more attack power/vitality to get through it. I might try finishing 2-2 first as I'd like to get better weapon upgrades, then maybe try 3-1 to at least rescue Freke.

[quote name='io']You could try 5-1 but I found (and still find) the bigger club-wielding guys to be a serious pain. And it is much harder to run away in that level because of all the narrow walkways.[/QUOTE]

IMO, those giant dudes are the toughest regular enemies in the game because of their speed and range. In 5-1 you can't really roll because you're on walkways and on 5-2 the swamp slows you even more. On 5-2 at least you can sneak by them, but on 5-1 it's just tedious.

[quote name='gunm']I found 4-1 relatively easy--if you can get to the boss, then just go for it since he's probably the easiest in the game.

Right now, I'm just farming the easy reaper in 4-2. Rescued Urbain, but I don't feel like seeing the entire level through just yet as I'd like to have a bit more attack power/vitality to get through it. I might try finishing 2-2 first as I'd like to get better weapon upgrades, then maybe try 3-1 to at least rescue Freke.[/QUOTE]

Really? I rank him as one of the tougher ones. Sure, if you know how to do it, it isn't that hard. But you still have to be really on your toes to take him out. It is hard to get in front and hit that spot and I got killed in my last game because when he got back up after he fell the first time he was back against the wall and I couldn't run behind him any more. That made it a pain, because if you then back away you can get out of range of his cleaver but then he does the tongue attack again.

But there are many easier bosses than that. The 4-3 one has to be the easiest in the game. And 2-3 is pretty easy too. And I guess 5-3 is super-easy if you take the coward's path ;) (though even fighting Garl I didn't find too hard in NG+ as opposed to, say, Black Phantom Satsuki). Oh, and 5-1 isn't too hard if you have enough power in your bow to take him out from up high (which I couldn't at first but then went nuts levelling my dexterity and had no problem). I would also rate 1-2, 1-3, 3-1, 2-1, 3-3, 4-2, and 5-2 as easier than the Adjuticator. And 1-4 is easier if you just use poison cloud.

The toughest, for me, was probably 2-2 because I couldn't get him stuck on the bones like everyone else. However, when I went up the stairs and attacked him it was pretty easy. I had a little trouble with 3-1 and 4-2 in the NG+ that I didn't have originally but neither was that hard. And I hear a lot of talk about 1-3 being hard, but in my NG+ he was even easier than the first game. This time I went after him a little more agressively with soul ray and while Biorr distracted him I took him out pretty quickly. I even kept Biorr alive which I almost didn't do the first time while I stayed far away firing arrows because I got closer and pulled him away a few times so Biorr could recover.

I would definitely recommend you wait on 4-2. Though once you go through it a few times it isn't all that hard. Here's a little tip - instead of trying to take out the third reaper (who is right around a corner and can't be hit with arrows like the other 2) just run past him. I was blowing through all my spices trying to to God's wrath on him but then I read this tip somewhere and it worked like a charm. You just run past and roll down the stairs so his death ray doesn't hit you. Then take him out with arrows from below.

But yeah, finish off 2-2 even though it is one of the tougher bosses. Then you can do all of 3-1 - it isn't that hard. Just shoot the octopus men with arrows and hide right after each shot. It should only take 2 shots I would think. Once you clear them out the level isn't that hard - just beware of the black phantom before the boss and also make sure to take out the follower up above the boss before going in or you can't win (get to him by going up one of the towers). He's by the key you need to rescue Freke so if you do that first then you are set for the boss (and he doesn't respawn so once you get him that's it).

Sweet, that's good news then (although I could've swore 1-3 penetrator was kind of tough?)! For 4-1, I ran down the stairs once I entered the room, but ended up falling off the ledge in my zeal, lol. The first thing I thought was, oh shit, I'm gonna die from falling without even doing anything, but luckily I hardly took any damage. From there it was just about staying close to him and running under his swing after hitting his weak spot. I did have to be careful not to get stuck in a spot near the fog where there's a piece of debris, but beyond that, I didn't get hit at all. I ended up having a harder time against the Golden skels. :p

[quote name='gunm']Sweet, that's good news then (although I could've swore 1-3 penetrator was kind of tough?)! For 4-1, I ran down the stairs once I entered the room, but ended up falling off the ledge in my zeal, lol. The first thing I thought was, oh shit, I'm gonna die from falling without even doing anything, but luckily I hardly took any damage. From there it was just about staying close to him and running under his swing after hitting his weak spot. I did have to be careful not to get stuck in a spot near the fog where there's a piece of debris, but beyond that, I didn't get hit at all. I ended up having a harder time against the Golden skels. :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, see, I got stuck on that debris once and killed. Then in my NG+ both times I fought him he got back up against the wall which meant I couldn't run behind him any more. The first time threw me off and he killed me with his tongue attack I think. The second time I was prepared for that and handled it.

I've heard people say Penetrator is tough, but I had little problem with him. In my original game I was super cautious because of all I had heard and Biorr pretty much took care of him by himself. I hit him with a few arrows from far away and Biorr was down to a sliver of health when I finally won. On the NG+ I went after him with soul ray and that did a lot of damage. Biorr and I took turns distracting him (I just rolled when he came after me and he didn't touch me once). That helped Biorr out a lot and he barely got hurt the second time. Of course, rescuing Biorr is critical then in making that fight easier. It would be a lot harder if you had to face him yourself I guess. In case you don't know, Biorr is in a cell way back at the beginning of 1-3 (probably he's actually in 1-2) near the blue-eye knights (there is a locked door that leads to the cells) but you need to go almost all the way through to get the key first. And DO NOT attempt 1-3 if your world tendency is even slightly below neutral - I found that out the hard way. Fortunately the online part resetting the WT helped me in this case as it brought it back to neutral which makes that level 100x easier to get through.

Another question for the vets. The guide says you can kill the black phantom NPC's "easily" with soulsucker. How, exactly? There isn't one I can think of that you can sneak up on with ease (maybe Selen in the swamp, though you'd have to go way around to sneak up on her and deal with the constant poisoning). I tried it as a last ditch attempt against Satsuki while we were locked in melee combat but of course he killed me before I could get the spell off.

IIRC Soulsucker is primarily a stealth spell, so I'd think it would be difficult to use in combat due to the casting time and range. Does having the graverobber and/or thief's ring on in soul form help with sneaking up on them?

Edit: also, for Adjudicator, I think just staying under his swing is enough. There were a couple times I couldn't run completely around him, so I just stayed close and made sure I had room to run/roll under his swing.

[quote name='gunm']IIRC Soulsucker is primarily a stealth spell, so I'd think it would be difficult to use in combat due to the casting time and range. Does having the graverobber and/or thief's ring on in soul form help with sneaking up on them?[/QUOTE]

If the enemy is facing the other way either one will work. I use thief's ring on normal enemies and graverobber on black phantoms of course. But I still don't see how you can "easily" use it on the black phantom NPC's like the guide says. I wonder if you can sneak up on Satsuki from the back side (by backtracking all the way from the 4-2 archstone back to the beginning of 4-1)? I was thinking about that last night but it was late and I just wanted to get the primevil demon and be done with that world (so it isn't pure black any more now). But I see no way of sneaking behind Miralda, Scirvir, or Rydell for sure. Maybe you can sneak behind Satsuki and Selen. Though in both cases it takes so long to get there I wouldn't want to do all that only to find out they detect you when sneaking up.

And also, it seems like you could use it on the False King (1-4) but I certainly don't want to try that unless someone else can confirm it as I'd imagine he will hit you right back with it if it doesn't work. But I know I could sneak up pretty close behind him to apply poison cloud without having him ever turn around.

By far the easiest place to do it and get a decent amount of souls (plus some fresh spice/old spice which are in short supply otherwise) are the black phantom octopus men at the end of 3-3. You just start off at the 3-4 archstone and exit the Old Monk's room and the first one is right there. Get him, go down a bit and kill the two regular enemies and then get the other one. It takes about a minute and if you screw up on them it isn't so bad because they take a while to get their spell going so even if they detect you, you can get it off before they attack (you have to get really close for soulsucker and if you go just a hair closer they detect you and turn around and attack).

Satsuki is so fucking deadly no matter what level you are (like I said, he 2-shotted me) that I would not risk trying to sneak up on him and soulsuck him. His detection range, even with thiefs ring, is incredible.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I'm stuck in whatever the world is right after 1-1. Those fucking zombie things take forever to kill, and I'm out of health potions so I can't get through the first part of the level without dying. Any tips?

I'm a hunter. I'm using the sword like the tip said, but it doesn't help much.[/QUOTE]
Use a dagger, spear, or rapier. Alternatively, use a shield for parrying. Go for backstabs.

The enemies in this level are are:
Slow
Easy to Sneak Up On
Weak to Piercing Damage
Easy to Parry

I usually end up clearing the level with the Mail Breaker with relative ease. It is very easy to parry the punches, the trick with parrying is to do it at the moment you should be getting hit, not before. The other good thing about dagger, spear, or rapier, is that you can attack while blocking (maybe not the rapier but spear and dagger for sure), so if you can't get the timing of the punches down, simply tank them on your shield and attack at the same time.

As for the ones with the pickaxes, it is very easy to bait them. Walk just outside of their attack range. If they do an overhead swing, run around behind them for a free backstab. If they do a sweeping horizontal swing, stay back a bit, they can do a 3 hit combo. They will also occasionally do a jump attack that can look like the start of the overhead swing, so be ready to roll in all cases.

[quote name='io']I wonder if you can sneak up on Satsuki from the back side (by backtracking all the way from the 4-2 archstone back to the beginning of 4-1)? I was thinking about that last night but it was late and I just wanted to get the primevil demon and be done with that world (so it isn't pure black any more now). But I see no way of sneaking behind Miralda, Scirvir, or Rydell for sure. Maybe you can sneak behind Satsuki and Selen. Though in both cases it takes so long to get there I wouldn't want to do all that only to find out they detect you when sneaking up.
[/QUOTE]

I was able to do it in my NG+ on Satsuki. Backtracking wasn't hard since every skeleton had his back turned to me. Just be sure you have the graverobber and thief rings both equipped so BP skeletons don't jump on you.

I tried sniping Satsuki from the Dual Katana Skeleton ridge, but that didn't work out because he started running around like a crazy person. Once he finally stopped, I snuck up and used the soulsucker.

I thought if you soulsuck a BP NPC or knock them off the edge your CT doesn't go up. If theres no CT change, I can't imagine any reason to kill them in the first place.

[quote name='IRHari']I thought if you soulsuck a BP NPC or knock them off the edge your CT doesn't go up. If theres no CT change, I can't imagine any reason to kill them in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I've already done the CT stuff so I just wanted to do it for the hell of it (plus I thought it might be a bunch of souls). I had actually read that it lowers your CT to use soulsucker on them and I need to do that now so I thought that also might be an added bonus. I wanted to kill regular Miralda for that too but she wasn't there when I went back (damn WT reverting down from pure to just less than pure because of being online :bomb:).

Damn, salty, I should have thought of all of them having their backs to you - I should have done it last night. It's too late now unless I lower the WT again since I killed the primevil demon. Oh well, maybe in NG++ I'll give it a shot.

So I have like 10 colorless demon's souls now. I've killed 7 primevil demons total and gotten drops from 6 of them - not bad. I'm thinking I might level up Istarelle so I can use it in the stupid swamp in 4-2 in my NG++. Also, if you level up the Kris blade does it enhance magic even more? That might be useful, though I found myself with very limited usage for it (as usually I want my shield up when I'm attacking with magic).

Yeah, it's not clear to me if upgrading something like Kris blade ups magic melee dmg or both melee and ranged/spell attack. I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

[quote name='IRHari']I thought if you soulsuck a BP NPC or knock them off the edge your CT doesn't go up. If theres no CT change, I can't imagine any reason to kill them in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I needed to kill him to get the WT up to pure white to get that sword. Using soulsuck still got me the boost. I had been playing with PBCT, so no CT change meant no innocent had to lose their life to push it back to PB. :)

Are you folks mailing the replacement guide request with some form of tracking? We might get shafted if USPS mis-sent our package (a possibility during the holiday season), leaving us with a torn guide in the CE case.

I don't think you can use delivery confirmation in a letter, right?

No, technically it has to be some specific thickness before they will DC it - so you can't do that with a letter, or even a thin folder type mailer. I think you can pay up for the signature confirmation, though, on those - or possibly send them certified. If you put it in a bubble mailer, though, you can probably get DC.

[quote name='io']No, technically it has to be some specific thickness before they will DC it - so you can't do that with a letter, or even a thin folder type mailer. I think you can pay up for the signature confirmation, though, on those - or possibly send them certified. If you put it in a bubble mailer, though, you can probably get DC.[/QUOTE]

Oops, you can get Delivery Conf w/Priority Mail, which includes flat mailers.

I stick w/Priority 'cause of my location and figured it applied to everything, but I guess it doesn't. >_

Yeah, cheapest option, though, is to go with a bubble mailer + DC. You can even pad the mailer a bit with tissue paper or something so they don't get on your case about the DC. I'll just be printing mine off via Paypal if I go that route. However, I will probably just stick with cheap-ass mail and not even bother with the DC. It is highly unlikely the PO will lose it and even if they do I'm sure you could plead your case with Atlus.

And by the way, last night was the first night in a long time when I didn't play any Demon's Souls. I've moved on to R&C. I just need to make sure I get it finished up, though, being that I am so close to getting that platinum. I "temporarily" stopped playing Oblivion a few months ago after putting about 80 hours in and I've never gone back to it. I don't want that to happen here. Fortunately I've got my son bugging me to see the black CT stuff, so he'll keep on me about it till I do it ;).

so i am a royal and finished 1-1 and 1-2 and died once.... i think i have been playing REALLY conservatively though

two questions though...
1- what is a good order to tackle the different levels (i.e. finish 1-X or start 2-1, 3-1 etc)?
2- i like magic a lot so far (always like being a mage in RPGs)... will i be screwed later on if there are enemies that dont get affected by magic? and what categories should i be leveling up while its still cheap to do so? thanks

There's no right or wrong way to level. For royal, most people want to continue to pump their Magic/Int stats at least for the first playthrough. I personally wanted to use certain weapons and armor asap, so I pumped up STR to 22 (for Purple Flame Shield) and got my dex up to 16 since I like having a bow (better range than magic).

For me, I did 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, and 2-1 so far and it's been fine. The next ones I plan to do are 2-2 and 3-1. From there I'll probably be less concerned about the order.

Farm 4-1 skeles for some levels. I am doing 4-2 (though I need the 20k souls for the evac miracle to do it properly) for a few levels/souls now that I have 4-1 done, but you should be able to level quite a bit by just farming 4-1. STR to 22 is important. Then decide what you want to do. Dex helps with bows...there are a couple of nice miracles and Faith of 16 gets you 2 slots. I think INT of 14 or 15 gets you 2 spell slots.

[quote name='gunm']I found 4-1 relatively easy--if you can get to the boss, then just go for it since he's probably the easiest in the game. I think I was about SL40 too when I did it, too. For me, the Golden Skels were more difficult since you have to fight them on the cliff and there's really no room to roll/dodge. I ended up using magic to get through that part since my attack power wasn't too good, I didn't have a mace/blunt weapon, and I just didn't want to spend a lot of time fighting them. I keep thief's ring on pretty much all the time, so for the black skels, the first one I can kill either with arrows from below the ledge he's on, or just bait him into the long corridor and backstab him when he gives up and walks back. The second one, I just lure him into the courtyard so I have more room to dodge/roll. The third I can kill w/flame toss, but there's enough room to melee if you want to just turpentine your weapon and have at it.

Right now, I'm just farming the easy reaper in 4-2. Rescued Urbain, but I don't feel like seeing the entire level through just yet as I'd like to have a bit more attack power/vitality to get through it. I might try finishing 2-2 first as I'd like to get better weapon upgrades, then maybe try 3-1 to at least rescue Freke.[/QUOTE]

When I do NG+ world 4 is probably the first I will take out.

You know a good sercret to 4-2 after the first reaper.

walk out the door to the edge of the block floor... just before you drop to the clif side. You can see the two skeletons and the archer.

Shoot the middle skeleton with a bow... he rolls right off the edge and dies. I can 2 shot the other archer, and if you can hit him successfully in sequence he can never return fire.. if he does side step and go back to hitting him. Dont forget to zoom with the bow.

The last guy you can hit once with a bow... then get out of bow mode and back all the way behind the flag pole or whatever is right there... stay on the brick.. that skeleton rolls right up to you and off the edge... you never have to fight any of those 3.

Then for the goldies I can hit them 3-4 times with my bow and drop them, but what I did to this point is hit them and wait for them to turn around and hit them again. You can do this and slowly back up the cliff and hit them again. They cant walk up the small step to get to the brick walkway so if it takes you that long to drop them you can work them up the step... again no risk situation.

Guys on the 5-1 giant trolls just a side step.. they cant turn fast.. you can smack them from the back very easy.

[quote name='stk i wvu']so does the evac miracle let you keep all the souls you got and transport you back to the nexus?[/QUOTE]

Yes - it's nice to have around

[quote name='jmbreci']Farm 4-1 skeles for some levels. I am doing 4-2 (though I need the 20k souls for the evac miracle to do it properly) for a few levels/souls now that I have 4-1 done, but you should be able to level quite a bit by just farming 4-1. STR to 22 is important. Then decide what you want to do. Dex helps with bows...there are a couple of nice miracles and Faith of 16 gets you 2 slots. I think INT of 14 or 15 gets you 2 spell slots.[/QUOTE]

Right after 1-1, 4-1 will be pretty difficult w/o a high hit res shield. You can dodge/roll some parts, but in the enclosed spaces, the skels' roll is tough to avoid. I'd suggest doing 1-2 first since Royals can easily take out the Tower Knight from the archer positions without ever having to go near him. That opens up 1-2 Archstone where you can farm the two blue knights and archers for a while to level up.

1-2 can seem challenging at first due to the red dragon, but you should be able to time your sprints in between the towers if you just want to get to the boss and rescue Ostrava later. Plus running the top of the bridge nets you short bow in the second tower which you can use to take out the dragon from the first tower later on.

As for Evac, I haven't needed it yet since I only recently made SL58. As you get higher in SL, it becomes more of a concern to have. I'd suggest waiting until you can farm the 4-2 reaper before blowing souls on Evac as by then getting to 20K souls will be relatively quick.

[quote name='Snake2715']When I do NG+ world 4 is probably the first I will take out.

You know a good sercret to 4-2 after the first reaper.

walk out the door to the edge of the block floor... just before you drop to the clif side. You can see the two skeletons and the archer.

Shoot the middle skeleton with a bow... he rolls right off the edge and dies. I can 2 shot the other archer, and if you can hit him successfully in sequence he can never return fire.. if he does side step and go back to hitting him. Dont forget to zoom with the bow.

The last guy you can hit once with a bow... then get out of bow mode and back all the way behind the flag pole or whatever is right there... stay on the brick.. that skeleton rolls right up to you and off the edge... you never have to fight any of those 3.

Then for the goldies I can hit them 3-4 times with my bow and drop them, but what I did to this point is hit them and wait for them to turn around and hit them again. You can do this and slowly back up the cliff and hit them again. They cant walk up the small step to get to the brick walkway so if it takes you that long to drop them you can work them up the step... again no risk situation.

Guys on the 5-1 giant trolls just a side step.. they cant turn fast.. you can smack them from the back very easy.[/QUOTE]

Well, you covered the easy part ;). Here's the rest: when you go in to the next inside part rush the first shadow and kill him as quickly as possible. His ray may take you out but if you get close he will try to melee. Then turn around from a spot about halfway down the stairs and you will just barely see the reaper in between two pillars. Try to take him out with a bow. It usually takes at least 2 shots and you can get 2 off before he moves. If you miss back up and watch for another shadow to show up and take him out. The reaper will be back to his spot. Go all the way down to where you killed the reaper and run in circles with your shield up. There is an invisible assassin waiting for you (you will hear his footsteps). He will backstab you if you don't move around. Once he shows up take care of him. Then go all the way down the stairs and just before you go outside there will be TWO of the assassins. If you go outside they won't bother you - but if you go for the two treasures off to the right they will attack.

Then, after following along the cliff you will come to a third inside part. Take out the first shadow with arrows (this one won't shoot rays at you) and then RUN up the stairs and RIGHT PAST the 3rd reaper and down the stairs, rolling all the way down. The thrid reaper shoots a death spell at you and it should miss if you are rolling. Once down, turn around and shoot him safely with arrows.

As for the club guys in 5-1, the only problem with side stepping is that you are usually fighting them in enclosed spaces or on ledges and that can often be deadly.

[quote name='jmbreci']Farm 4-1 skeles for some levels. I am doing 4-2 (though I need the 20k souls for the evac miracle to do it properly) for a few levels/souls now that I have 4-1 done, but you should be able to level quite a bit by just farming 4-1. STR to 22 is important. Then decide what you want to do. Dex helps with bows...there are a couple of nice miracles and Faith of 16 gets you 2 slots. I think INT of 14 or 15 gets you 2 spell slots.[/QUOTE]

Yep, follow the strength and dexterity tips here because expecially as a magic-user you will want to be able to wield the purple flame shield + winged spear combo, and use a bow. The magic runs out quickly and spices (the things that replenish magic) are hard to come by. And waiting for the fragrant ring to replenish it wastes a ton of time, especially later.

[quote name='Snake2715']indeed it is.. I have evac almost always in my que. I find myself using it less now but it was worth the dough for sure.[/QUOTE]

So I have a question, does evac work during boss fights? I've never tried it but after I try the arrow trick with the False King I'd like to have evac as a backup in case he rushes me!

[quote name='io']Well, you covered the easy part ;).

Then, after following along the cliff you will come to a third inside part. Take out the first shadow with arrows (this one won't shoot rays at you) and then RUN up the stairs and RIGHT PAST the 3rd reaper and down the stairs, rolling all the way down. The thrid reaper shoots a death spell at you and it should miss if you are rolling. Once down, turn around and shoot him safely with arrows.
[/QUOTE]

You forgot one thing here.. once you go past the two assasins that are invisible and go out the door.... do a 180 and go back to where the first assasin was... walk up the steps 2-3 steps and look off to the side... there is the 3rd reaper and its shadow..!!

Also for the first shadow i dont rush him i hit him wiht 3 bow shots before he walks up the stairs... his angle on the stairs guarantees his ray wont hit you, as long as you stand at the entrance to that area.

[quote name='io']

So I have a question, does evac work during boss fights? I've never tried it but after I try the arrow trick with the False King I'd like to have evac as a backup in case he rushes me![/QUOTE]

excellent question... I would like to have that for this fight as well.... hmm. Hopefully someone knows.

Also I have a question does resurrection change WT when you do it to blue phantoms? I am deciding where to use my boss souls

[quote name='io']So I have a question, does evac work during boss fights? I've never tried it but after I try the arrow trick with the False King I'd like to have evac as a backup in case he rushes me![/QUOTE]
Yes, evacuation works during boss fights.

[quote name='Jodou']Yes, evacuation works during boss fights.[/QUOTE]

wow that might make that miracle one of most crucial things to have

/\ or just dont go in loaded to the gill with souls... you may pull off a last minute kill. Although sometimes you just know whats going to happen! Other times you may not have the time needed to cast this.

[quote name='io']Well, you covered the easy part ;). Here's the rest: when you go in to the next inside part rush the first shadow and kill him as quickly as possible. His ray may take you out but if you get close he will try to melee. Then turn around from a spot about halfway down the stairs and you will just barely see the reaper in between two pillars. Try to take him out with a bow. It usually takes at least 2 shots and you can get 2 off before he moves. If you miss back up and watch for another shadow to show up and take him out. The reaper will be back to his spot. Go all the way down to where you killed the reaper and run in circles with your shield up. There is an invisible assassin waiting for you (you will hear his footsteps). He will backstab you if you don't move around. Once he shows up take care of him. Then go all the way down the stairs and just before you go outside there will be TWO of the assassins. If you go outside they won't bother you - but if you go for the two treasures off to the right they will attack.
[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks for this part. I've tried this part twice with no luck. I keep getting to the 2nd reaper spot and would kill the first shadow. Then I assume I was at the spot I'm supposed to see the reaper from because there was a player comment saying "sniper spot" or something but as I look for the damn reaper the shadow re-spawns killed me with his ray the first time and the second time I accidently rolled off the stairs to my death.

[quote name='hoogax']Ah thanks for this part. I've tried this part twice with no luck. I keep getting to the 2nd reaper spot and would kill the first shadow. Then I assume I was at the spot I'm supposed to see the reaper from because there was a player comment saying "sniper spot" or something but as I look for the damn reaper the shadow re-spawns killed me with his ray the first time and the second time I accidently rolled off the stairs to my death.[/QUOTE]

I kill two shadows and then rush that second reaper. One or two swipes and it falls to its death.

If you go outside the door (after the invisible assassins) and then back inside up the stairs you can snipe the 3rd reaper no problem. Dunno if this has all been covered... was away from the computer for about a week. :)

[quote name='Saint Noir']I kill two shadows and then rush that second reaper. One or two swipes and it falls to its death.

If you go outside the door (after the invisible assassins) and then back inside up the stairs you can snipe the 3rd reaper no problem. Dunno if this has all been covered... was away from the computer for about a week. :)[/QUOTE]

This I didn't know (till Snake posted it) but it seems just as easy to rush past the third one and then take him out from below.

But why do you have to go outside past the two assassins and then back in again? Can't you get him before you go outside, or does going outside trigger something that makes him show up or move?

I just never thought to try that because I thought the third reaper was in a completely different, unconnected, section (and he seems so well hidden I thought they made it impossible to snipe him on purpose). Plus, well, neither the guide nor the online FAQ mention this :bomb:.

[quote name='Snake2715']dang Saint.... look 6 posts up or so, I covered it..
.[/QUOTE]

You move coast to coast and see how your brain is! I still am jumbled from the drive alone.. :lol: Sorry!

But yeah... the way mentioned by Snake is the way to go for sure.

I was coming in to edit my post, I may not be the only or first to even post that idea in this thread... I realized it when i noticed the shadow over there... I shot at him forever and he never died... then when I went out the door and had to back track I noticed the reaper.... Then I realized the door must be when the reaper comes active. This was pretty early on for me so I am glad I caught it, it helped on that level greatly.

I have written sniper spot in the area before, but most people probably think I am crazy as he is not there yet and the shadow wont die unless you go out and back in.

Bumpan the thread, and I'm probably going to get this for Christmas. Hopefully I'm not to late to the party. :D

I'm not going to do a lot of research on this game until I get it.

Don't worry. I didn't either. I just started this the other day and it's one of the hardest games I've ever played. If there was a way to keep the camera locked on it would be much easier. Makes me appreciate the Zelda games that much more. Timing is key and be prepared for a frustrating experience. I'm still working my way through the first area. The game is unforgiving and harder than, 'I just saw Megan Fox naked in front of me' wood. I'm looking for advice, but most of the beginner stuff goes back quite a few pages. I'll have to go back and look at it myself.

[quote name='redeema'] if there was a way to keep the camera locked on it would be much easier. [/quote]

r3?

EDIT - Advice... Use royal to start for an easier start. Parry/counter. Keep your shield up. Keep a very measured pace. Try to lure enemies out one at a time to not get swarmed.

[quote name='Redeema']Don't worry. I didn't either. I just started this the other day and it's one of the hardest games I've ever played. If there was a way to keep the camera locked on it would be much easier. Makes me appreciate the Zelda games that much more. Timing is key and be prepared for a frustrating experience. I'm still working my way through the first area. The game is unforgiving and harder than, 'I just saw Megan Fox naked in front of me' wood. I'm looking for advice, but most of the beginner stuff goes back quite a few pages. I'll have to go back and look at it myself.[/QUOTE]

Start as Royalty....it will make the first level infinitely easier to finish. Dying is a big part of the game....it is a cruel learning process.

The False Idol on 3-1 has to be the easiest of the bosses I've finished yet...although I hear 4-2 is easy as well, but I have not made it there yet. Finished 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, and 4-1. Was stupid and upgraded my +6 spear without enough moonstones to get higher than +1...the meat cleaver assisted a little, but I upgraded the Cresent Falchion to +4 and that started kicking major rear....I really miss being able to block and attack though...time to farm 3-1 and 3-2.

[quote name='Saint Noir']r3?

EDIT - Advice... Use royal to start for an easier start. Parry/counter. Keep your shield up. Keep a very measured pace. Try to lure enemies out one at a time to not get swarmed.[/QUOTE]

I'm near the end of my NG+ and I've never once parried. I just couldn't get the hang of it - every time I tried I would get slaughtered when I missed the parry. So I just went to block/attack with the spear - much easier. I think by parry/counterattack you mean when the enemy attacks you push L2 with the shield on the left hand, right? Anyway, just a tip for those starting out that it is by no means necessary to know how to do that.

[quote name='jmbreci']Start as Royalty....it will make the first level infinitely easier to finish. Dying is a big part of the game....it is a cruel learning process.

The False Idol on 3-1 has to be the easiest of the bosses I've finished yet...although I hear 4-2 is easy as well, but I have not made it there yet. Finished 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, and 4-1. Was stupid and upgraded my +6 spear without enough moonstones to get higher than +1...the meat cleaver assisted a little, but I upgraded the Cresent Falchion to +4 and that started kicking major rear....I really miss being able to block and attack though...time to farm 3-1 and 3-2.[/QUOTE]

Royalty, yes... I only died a few times when I first started out.

3-1 was pretty easy in original game but much harder in NG+ because it seems she made so many more copies and you can't always hide from them (some are in front, some behind even if you hide behind the pillars). Still not too tough, but I had to be much more careful. The black phantom leading up to her, though, was easy as cake on NG+ and I was prepared for her to be much tougher.

4-2 is somewhat easy, but can be a bit tricky if you don't time your runs from the front to the back very well. The essiest boss in the game is the one on 4-3, though - and it is even easier in NG+ because you already have the sword you need to grab from way out on the cliffs (which is the only slightly hard part of the level).

I've stopped playing for now but I need to get back in before I forget how to play effectively. I still need to do the black CT events and then finish my 2nd playthrough (just 1-4 dragon and boss left to do) and then move on to NG++. I need to blow through that and get all my spells, then start NG+++ and get the last few special weapons forged, and I should have a platinum. It will be interesting to see how quickly I can blow through my NG++ when I don't have to do any additional stuff. The problem is, I always have a hard time passing up crystal geckos and like to get to all of them and farm them - not to mention the primevil demons.

A tip for late game on the first playthrough: I would suggest you take on black phantom Satsuki in the original game because even though I am leveled up way beyond what I was when I first fought him, he seems to be much more powerful in NG+ - more so than any of the bosses. I haven't fought any other BF NPC's except Miralda (who I cheesed with poison cloud again) so I'm not sure if they all get tougher like that.

I'm going pretty slow with this game. I just got to 1-2. The problem I'm having is that the game doesn't really grab me and make me yearn to play more. The story is usually my main drive in a game.

Just voted. I really wanted to vote for Dragon Age: Origins, but I voted for Demon's Souls simply because I want to support the smaller games/studios.

bread's done
Back