Deus Ex HR CE Guide (Futurepress) 13.85 GBP at Zavvi or $35 at Amazon

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Get it for about $23 shipped at Zavvi

http://www.zavvi.com/books/deus-ex-human-revolution-collector-s-edition-guide/10506467.html

or $35 (MSRP) at Amazon if you'd rather not import or wait

http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Collectors/dp/3869930519/

Book Description

Publication Date: August 23, 2011
This beautifully bound Collector's hardcover guide has the iconic image of Adam Jensen on it's front cover reproduced with a special high quality gold foil treatment. An additional chapter not found in the standard guide offers an amazing collection of artwork revealing the origins of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's world and characters, as well as a hugely informative interview with key developers at Eidos Montreal who answer our many questions.

AUGMENT YOUR EXPERIENCE
Choice is everything in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Choosing your own approach is at the heart of the game, and the official guide reflects this in every way. Multiple route walkthroughs are provided for each and every section of the game, so wherever you are you ll be able to see all of the possible approaches and their rewards and consequences. See what the game truly has to offer and get the complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution experience.

Multi-route Walkthrough
The walkthrough features a unique multi-route structure. Whether you play stealthily, hack your way through, or simply shooting everyone down, there s a route to follow that suits your playstyle.

Augmentations Exposed
Understanding and combining the Augmentations is where the real fun lies in Deus Ex.

Product Details

• Hardcover: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Future Press (August 23, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 3869930519
  • ISBN-13: 978-3869930510

How does it get to Cali faster than MA :'(

And the hurricane is prolly gonna delay my shipment even if it was going to be delivered. Life sucks, I wanna start playing the damn game lol.

[quote name='IanKazimer']They showing up for anyone else? I'm assuming they'll mostly be here by this week. I'm just hoping it shows up today.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Crossing my fingers.

Anybody know what the book depository ships via? Ups? Fedex?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Royal Mail should be through the USPS, no? Either way, I didn't get mine today :'([/QUOTE]

It will be.
Since that's the reason I have no issues getting imports to my PO Box

Any free shipping or low-cost shipping will be Royal Mail from the UK to the US, and then standard USPS once it makes it to the US.

Normal transit time for me has been 7-10 business days, so I would guess you'd likely see this next week.

Thanks for the heads up, guys! I appreciate it!

BD says they shipped it on the 24th; so I'm holding out hope I see it by Wed, but at least by the end of the week.

with Amazon's stock still up in the air I'm tempted to just cancel my order

as much as I do love hardback guides I can better use the $35 elsewhere given I lost my job

edit: nvm it's finally gone to shipping soon status :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here order from Zavvi.com? I did, my order hasn't even shipped yet! It says "awaiting stock pick"...whatever that means.

Mine arrived today via USPS, shipped from The Book Depository. It was sent Royal Mail Air Mail from the UK to the US, and I suppose USPS Parcel Post the rest of the way.

Guide was packed in a cardboard book mailer, same as I've seen Amazon use for almost all of their guide shipments.

Shrike, if it's not too personal could you let us know what part of the country you're in? Just wanna know if I should ask someone at my office to check our boxes.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Shrike, if it's not too personal could you let us know what part of the country you're in? Just wanna know if I should head down to the mail center or not.[/QUOTE]I'm in the middle of the Midwest.

Thanks, man. No luck on the East Coast yet. Least I know it'll be here this week.

Also, let us know what you think! I'm stoked to see it. I loved the Portal 2 guide from FP.

[quote name='Final Starman']Anyone here order from Zavvi.com? I did, my order hasn't even shipped yet! It says "awaiting stock pick"...whatever that means.[/QUOTE]

I got an email saying it was dispatched last week. Not sure when it will arrive.

Mine arrived today, as well! :) Looks like it took the same course of action that Shrike's did. I ordered on the day this deal was posted from The Book Depository, and it arrived around 1pm today here near Kansas City.

I don't believe it's against the rules, so I snapped a few quick pics. If that is wrong, please alert a moderator and I'm 100% fine if they get taken down... my apologies.

6097750388_78ee9ee165.jpg

6097209127_cd18830c22.jpg

6097757490_1419c3644a.jpg

It's absolutely PACKED with content. Every route is given detail. All the weapons. It's well written. Definitely one of the better guides I've come across. High quality pictures, sharp text, and decent paper weight. Not necessarily THE best guide I've ever seen, but it's most certainly up there.

Question for those that might know: On the spine, where it says "Deus Ex Human Revolution", the lettering is upside down. Is this a UK thing? Or is it a printing error?

[quote name='mattcube64']Question for those that might know: On the spine, where it says "Deus Ex Human Revolution", the lettering is upside down. Is this a UK thing? Or is it a printing error?[/QUOTE]

All the Future Press guides I have are all printed like this.

So no worries!

For those who ordered from Amazon(.com), did they offer a pre-order discount? I'm debating where to order my copy of the Dark Souls guide, and at the moment Amazon doesn't even have it available for pre-order. Thanks in advance!

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']For those who ordered from Amazon(.com), did they offer a pre-order discount? I'm debating where to order my copy of the Dark Souls guide, and at the moment Amazon doesn't even have it available for pre-order. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

nope it was $34.99 from the start

Well, those pics have me salivating now. I ordered mine from Book Depository last week, when I check the tracking, it still says status is "Processing". Is this normal for BD? I know they don't send shipment emails, but I expected that the site itself would update. . .

I'm still waiting on Zavvi too.... my status is "Awaiting Dispatch" and the estimated dispatch date is 8/26/2011. Should I be concerned yet?

[quote name='kramer0731']I'm still waiting on Zavvi too.... my status is "Awaiting Dispatch" and the estimated dispatch date is 8/26/2011. Should I be concerned yet?[/QUOTE]

I sent a 2nd message today, if they dont get back to me tomorrow I'm cancelling and reordering at book depository. This is getting ridiculous.

Update: Got a reply, it's been shipped!

I ordered from zavvi on 8/15 and it was dispatched on 8/25, but did not receive it yet...

I also ordered a music cd and a video game on 8/22 and they were dispatched on 8/23, and I got the music cd today but not the game that was in the same order. This type of weird stuff has happened before with zavvi, so I'm not in panic mode at this point.

You know, you guys sure do talk up FuturePress but after downloading a scan of the guide to see if it was worth buying (if nothing else for collector's sake) I found it to be pretty lackluster. Trying to find information you want at a glance is awful, and the only things they bold in their print are location markers to go with their maps.

Things I would have expected from a quality guide:

- Checklist for important items (praxis kits, ebooks, etc) are noticeably absent from the beginning of each area section.

- Highlighting of said items in the actual guide for ease of picking them out.

- Better organization of sidequests. Don't tell me that there's an optional quest here and not even give me a page number, especially if you're going to segregate sidequests to an appendix. I would have preferred if the guide flowed so you had main and side quests together.

- It's nice that they run down how to approach each map with three separate play-styles, but they fail to mention what you'd miss by doing so. In fact, there's absolutely no mention or comparison so the only way you'd find out is by reading each one thoroughly. That's in fact the opposite of what a STRATEGY GUIDE should do.

- Maps are not detailed enough. Or at least they should have one map that shows item locations. Thinking about it now, I did not really check to see if there was an appendix for this, but regardless it should have been with the main content rather than making me flip pages.

Overall, I'm a visual learner so guides with just walls of text are not helpful. It's far too easy to lose your place in the guide with the only separator being bullet points. In fact, I love guides that provide a screencap of where certain key items are because you can quickly identify where in the game you are in relation to the text. This guide was horribly bland with few pictures and only accentuated by sparse maps and the odd wallpaper art to define sections. Sorry, but I expect far more for my money.

what would you say is your favorite game guide? I want to take a look at it to see what you mean by quality. I'm not super picky when it comes to guides and really just collect them for the completeness factor for my favorite games but I'd like to see what a real quality guide looks like.

Wow, some overzealous mod didn't like my review of the guide? How cowardly to remove my post without just cause. Guess only carebears are allowed to post anymore.

Seriously, WTF is happening to this site? My guess is this post will be deleted too. Whatever, get at me bro.

Yeah, weird that the rest of the timezones seem to have gotten theirs. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I do hope it's a good read. I got 1000/1000 on this thing last night. No real need for this anymore!

[quote name='RobotSimp']FYI, don't know if it ultimately matters, but for the purists, the BookDepository has a different ISBN series than the US Amazon page

Amazon:

BN-10: 3869930519
ISBN-13: 978-3869930510

Book Depository:

ISBN 10: 3869930454
ISBN 13: 9783869930459

Also, Paperback on Amazon is by Future Press[/QUOTE]

Amazon guide came in today, and it is a US/Canada version.
Looks like this thing might be fairly rare if the ones shipped from Zavvi/BD have the UK ISBN, and if it doesnt get another printing:

deusex_limited_guide_usa.jpg

Damn I never purchased a Future Press guide before, but if its true what yall are saying then Im missing out. I thought the Hardbound guides for Dragon Age Origins and DA 2 were great (Well the guide for origins was awesome, but I never opened the guide for DA 2 because I played it for 5 hours and hated the game)

Whats the cheapest place to buy the Deus Ex hardcover book (coupon code is a plus) and also I see the Dark Souls Guide is available for purchase on bookdepository, but are we for sure its the collectors guide?

I don't know about the original DA guide because that was from Prima, but the DAII Collector's Edition was definitely great because it was from Piggyback, probably the best guidemaker out there in the business (even better than Future Press, I would argue).

As for the Dark Souls guide, all copies are the Collector's Edition because Future Press is not printing a paperback version of that guide so they're all hardcover. =)

[quote name='RobotSimp']Amazon guide came in today, and it is a US/Canada version.
Looks like this thing might be fairly rare if the ones shipped from Zavvi/BD have the UK ISBN, and if it doesnt get another printing:

[/QUOTE]

Is there an actual difference in # of pages and/or content?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Is there an actual difference in # of pages and/or content?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, I think he means more for collectors who like to have the guide from their region. Even if the guide is the same, like liking only having US/Canada versions of games instead of the UK version. Same game, but from a different country.

Which direction is the printing on the spine of the US/Canada version going? Up-to-down or down-to-up? The down-to-up printing drives me nuts on UK books.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Is there an actual difference in # of pages and/or content?[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the Amazon US version is listed as ~368 pages, whereas the UK version was listed as ~430+. Can anyone confirm?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']IIRC, the Amazon US version is listed as ~368 pages, whereas the UK version was listed as ~430+. Can anyone confirm?[/QUOTE]

The page difference is the softcover versus the CE.

Good news for me: my BD order finally switched to "shipped". So how do these UK orders arrive in the states? I'm guessing that Royal Mail becomes USPS here? Thanks.

[quote name='shrike4242']Any free shipping or low-cost shipping will be Royal Mail from the UK to the US, and then standard USPS once it makes it to the US.

Normal transit time for me has been 7-10 business days, so I would guess you'd likely see this next week.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']Mine arrived today via USPS, shipped from The Book Depository. It was sent Royal Mail Air Mail from the UK to the US, and I suppose USPS Parcel Post the rest of the way.

Guide was packed in a cardboard book mailer, same as I've seen Amazon use for almost all of their guide shipments.[/QUOTE]

As posted earlier

fyi, there is a difference between the HC and SC versions of the guide. The HC has an Art section and an Interview section with the Eidos Montreal team. Everything else appears to be identical

[quote name='SkylineChili4Me']Good news for me: my BD order finally switched to "shipped". So how do these UK orders arrive in the states? I'm guessing that Royal Mail becomes USPS here? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
You are correct. Takes about 10 days before it will be delivered.

bread's done
Back