Dollhouse Friday Nights on FOX at 9pm est-Update 10/24

[quote name='camoor']Thanks for using spoiler tags guys. Real smart - get other people interested in the show by spoiling it.[/quote]

48 hours after original air date is no longer a spoiler. If they haven't watched it by then they should have enough sense not to read the thread.

[quote name='Revenantae']Anyone know if this has been tapped for a second season yet?[/quote]

Nothing announced yet.

spoilers up you happy.
the reason for my foresight with Alpha is because if you look at the clip for next weeks show you will see Amy Acker's character say "Alpha" to someone.

And in a recent interview, Joss Whedon eluded to the fact that you may have already met Alpha and just didnt know it. It was in EW or People.

And to all the people and spoilers

OH WELL

i made this this thread cause i wanted people to chat about the show and hopefully get it picked up for more season and draw more fans.

[quote name='Revenantae']Anyone know if this has been tapped for a second season yet?[/quote]

No, Networks announce their Fall Schedules in May, I believe the date this near is May 19? or around that time. Its also known as Sweeps so you can see if your shows got another season. So lets hope this and Terminator:SCC stays.

[quote name='camoor']Thanks for using spoiler tags guys. Real smart - get other people interested in the show by spoiling it.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about? I haven't even seen last week's episode yet (going to in a little bit today), so all the information I'm talking about is from at least 3 weeks ago. Also, once several days past the air date, I don't think spoilers are nearly as applicable. If you don't like it, then look away from my post, but honestly, you could have figured out the information from what I posted by just watching the show 3 or 4 weeks ago. People have been theorizing over this stuff from the 2nd or 3rd week actually.

Just got done with episode 10 - "Haunted" - and it was fucking awesome. There is some phenomenal storytelling being done in the series now. I'm definitely liking how they manage to keep bringing fresh and different takes on the Dollhouse. The interactions between Topher and the imprint were fantastic, they really layered and transformed him into an entirely different character. I suddenly feel very attached and sad for Topher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have seen that coming when
Alan Tudyk was announced to be on this week's ep. Alpha was either going to be someone we've already seen or one of Whedon's players. In retrospect, his being on the show was a red flag but I'm glad I didn't pick up on it.
It will be a crime if this show doesn't get renewed. I don't want a 22 ep season, 10-12 would be fine for this type of story. Hopefully Fox will at least renew it for midseason.

Just now got around to watching it now. Wow.

On another note, Enver Gjokaj (Victor) did an amazing job of voicing
Dominic
. I was very impressed.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

:shock:[/quote]

Truth. That finale was horrible. Which could be a good thing. If it doesn't get picked up for a 2nd season I won't be that upset.

[quote name='Genocidal']That wasn't the finale. There's one more episode.[/quote]

color me pink. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the last episode will kick it up abit.

[quote name='homeland']color me pink. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the last episode will kick it up abit.[/quote]

Yeah...last night's episode was more like the big reveal before the high octane final scene. I thought it was really good though, and we learned some stuff that has been building up all season. I can only imagine how intense the finale will be. I just wish Whedon would keep pushing this show hard even if Fox doesn't pick it up. Take it to CW, or NBC, or Sci-Fi even. I just don't want him to give up on it because it "looks" like people don't care. If Fox didn't put it in such a hole to begin with, we'd be having a different conversation.

I think this show may be going to the well one too many times with certain plot devices, most notably "surprise doll reveals."

Indulging in a bit of (unconfirmed) speculation for the moment, the last episode heavily implies that
Dr. Saunders is a doll. If this is the case, isn't this getting a bit trite by now? It's getting to the point where half the supporting cast is populated by covert dolls, with each subsequent reveal being less shocking and more aggrivating. Like it's all become a big guessing game over who it's going to be next time.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but playing the same trick on the viewer over and over seems more apt to drive him away than ingratiate him. Regardless, the finale is poised to be quite interesting, so here's hoping the season ends on a high note.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Magus8472']I think this show may be going to the well one too many times with certain plot devices, most notably "surprise doll reveals."

Indulging in a bit of (unconfirmed) speculation for the moment, the last episode heavily implies that
Dr. Saunders is a doll. If this is the case, isn't this getting a bit trite by now? It's getting to the point where half the supporting cast is populated by covert dolls, with each subsequent reveal being less shocking and more aggrivating. Like it's all become a big guessing game over who it's going to be next time.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but playing the same trick on the viewer over and over seems more apt to drive him away than ingratiate him. Regardless, the finale is poised to be quite interesting, so here's hoping the season ends on a high note.[/quote]

I disagree. Where was there a "surprise doll reveal" in this last episode? All we learned was
who Alpha actually is. We've known since the beginning that he was a doll.
As far as multiple members of the cast being dolls, to me, it makes sense. Why bother concerning yourself with who you can and can't trust, when you can just program them to be what you need them to be, and use them at your own discretion.

After a slow start, I think the show is firing on all cylinders now. The story is good. The dialogue is good. The action is good. I've said it a thousand times, but Friday nights and the first 5 episodes being dictated by Fox are the only reason for poor numbers. I'm not really sure what more you could want out of the show at this point.

And I can't resist. Best line from this last episode.
Dr. Saunders: "Victor? What happened?"
Victor: "People were fighting on me..."

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I disagree. Where was there a "surprise doll reveal" in this last episode?[/QUOTE]

There was a character held out as not a doll who turned out to be a doll.
That one didn't really bother so much as how they're letting on that they're gonna do it again with
Dr. Saunders
, though I suppose that could be a red herring. Just makes me not want to get attached to the characters in a way that's off-putting.

So i was wrong.
Oh well.
Ya should have seen the Joos Whedon fave play come in.
Wonder if Castle gets cancelled will Nathan Fillion make an apperance.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I disagree. Where was there a "surprise doll reveal" in this last episode? [/quote]
when Victor/Dominic is in the chair he calls Dr. Saunders "Whiskey", which given that all of the other doll's names have been part of the NATO alphabet, she probably is one too. the interesting thing will be when she became one before or after alpha when psycho.

I was really meh on this at the beginning, but I'd keep bittorreting it if it gets renewed.

[quote name='jlseal']I was really meh on this at the beginning, but I'd keep bittorreting it if it gets renewed.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, bittorenting doesn't help the show with it's ratings.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']fuck Fox. This had better get renewed and moved to a better slot. partner it up with Fringe and make me stay in a night.[/quote]

SIGNED!!! :applause:

[quote name='jlseal']
when Victor/Dominic is in the chair he calls Dr. Saunders "Whiskey", which given that all of the other doll's names have been part of the NATO alphabet, she probably is one too. the interesting thing will be when she became one before or after alpha when psycho.
[/quote]

Well, the thing with this is, not everybody would catch it. I thought it was a nice subtle way of letting the people really paying attention know the secrets first. It's like positive reinforcement for closely following the show.

[quote name='jlseal']I was really meh on this at the beginning, but I'd keep bittorreting it if it gets renewed.[/quote]

Yeah, at least do Hulu and then BT for future viewings. That's what I do.

And us Joss Whedon and JJ abram fans know that Amy Ackers can kick some serious *ss from the last season of Angel and Alias.

Cant wait to see her in on the action. Maybe she'll be the one to rescue Echo and put the smack down of Alpha.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Unfortunately, bittorenting doesn't help the show with it's ratings.[/quote]
Then maybe they should put it on a night when I'm not busy.

[quote name='jlseal']Then maybe they should put it on a night when I'm not busy.[/QUOTE]

Hulu, or, better yet, Fox.com too inconvenient for you?

[quote name='Magus8472']Hulu, or, better yet, Fox.com too inconvenient for you?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, if you actually like the show at least do that.

[quote name='Magus8472']Hulu, or, better yet, Fox.com too inconvenient for you?[/quote]

You dont get it, hes really busy.

Episode 11 - Without giving any spoilers since it is still fresh and relatively new, but HOLY fuckING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Did not see that one coming (though I kind of had a feeling with Alan)...

It was good.
I agree with hiccup
what ever happen to the dude from the school(the black guy from Desperate Housewives).
Will he be a doll, or maybe next season

[quote name='Lice']You dont get it, hes really busy.[/quote]
Exactly, I have lots of drinking to do. That and it usually gets watched on a computer without internet access.

Finale was decent, wrapped pretty much everything up.
Dr. Saunders being a doll as was implied is rather trite, but at least they can go somewhere with it if they get the chance.

I was also a bit confused when they
turned Sierra and November into bounty hunters and then proceed to have them not appear in the rest of the episode. Seemed like they decided to cut the subplot but forgot they were in those scenes.
Maybe the bonus DVD episode will pick that thread up.

I just finished watching the finale. Wow, what an amazing episode. I really hope the show gets renewed. It may be my 2nd favorite show on TV, after Lost. It was awesome to see Amy Acker get so much screen time. The reveal that
she was a doll didn't surprise me, since someone in this thread pointed out that Mr. Dominick (while in Victor's body) called "Dr. Saunders" Whiskey. I just though dude wanted a drink.
I felt stupid for missing something so obvious. I was surprised by the fact that there was
an actual Dr. Saunders whose knowledge and skills were imprinted onto Amy Acker's character, however.

Good finale to a great show. Consideing the last ep did an all-time low of 2.76M I'll be shocked if the show gets renewed. Good job, Fox.

[quote name='neocisco']Good finale to a great show. Consideing the last ep did an all-time low of 2.76M I'll be shocked if the show gets renewed. Good job, Fox.[/QUOTE]

It was a great finale, too bad it was on a Friday night. The only episode I watched on Fox was the opening episode the rest of the episodes I watched on Hulu. I hope Fox has nothing to replace it with and gives it a proper full 2X episode season next year.

[quote name='Magus8472']I was also a bit confused when they
turned Sierra and November into bounty hunters and then proceed to have them not appear in the rest of the episode. Seemed like they decided to cut the subplot but forgot they were in those scenes.
Maybe the bonus DVD episode will pick that thread up.[/quote]

I was expecting something to happen with that but completely forgot about them there at the end. Maybe they got lost and there will be reward signs put up?

[quote name='spoo']It was a great finale, too bad it was on a Friday night. The only episode I watched on Fox was the opening episode the rest of the episodes I watched on Hulu. I hope Fox has nothing to replace it with and gives it a proper full 2X episode season next year.[/QUOTE]

I'm OK with a 13 ep season. It helps avoid filler eps and shows with this type of premise need to keep a regular pace, much like Lost.

I liked that that Amy Ackers characters is a doll, maybe shell do some butt kicking now
Its weird that that shes a doll that knows shes a doll.

The exchange between her and Topher at the end of the finale leads me to believe she was someone from his life before she became a doll. Maybe we'll find out if the show gets another season.

I finally caught up with this show, so I can enter the thread. Hooray. Dollhouse really has top notch, complex story telling. I love it.

Before the show aired, there was word that Fox spent a large part of the show's budget on the Dollhouse set, which is very obvious from watching the show. It's always seemed like an odd move to invest so much in a show they were putting in a time-slot of death, so maybe they'll actually pick it up for a second season. How much ad revenue could they have been expecting from 10 minutes on Friday night? And the DVR ratings are said to be great.

Dr. Saunders:
Had her pegged as a doll from the first episode, for the actual reasons. IE: She was a doll, her face got cut up so she couldn't operate anymore, they found her a job in-house. Didn't anticipate the actual Dr. Sanders, though... that was weird.

Where was she in the episode where everyone but the dolls got high? I don't remember what she did in it, and that episode was a clever way to rule out a few key people from being dolls.

[quote name='Magus8472']
I was also a bit confused when they
Maybe the bonus DVD episode will pick that thread up.[/QUOTE]

Joss Whedon has already said that Fox made him cut the scenes with
Sierra and November confronting Ballard and Alpha for time.
Which sucks because if you read the script http://www.dollverse.com/2009/05/script-to-episode-12-omega.html it really makes the episode better. At least the DVD will have some good deleted scenes.

Reading the script there at the end sure makes it sound better. As it was, Paul was just magically where he needed to be and what's in the script makes better sense as to why he's there.

Also, this is up for pre-order on Amazon in case it hasn't been mentioned.

[quote name='CokeCola']Dr. Saunders:
Had her pegged as a doll from the first episode, for the actual reasons. IE: She was a doll, her face got cut up so she couldn't operate anymore, they found her a job in-house. Didn't anticipate the actual Dr. Sanders, though... that was weird.

Where was she in the episode where everyone but the dolls got high? I don't remember what she did in it, and that episode was a clever way to rule out a few key people from being dolls.
[/QUOTE]

She wasn't in that episode.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/dollhouse-not-cancelled/

As fans of the show are likely painfully aware, the last episode of Dollhouse dropped to a new low in the ratings. An estimated 2.75 million viewers tuned in to see the showdown between Echo (Eliza Dushku) and Alpha (Alan Tudyk), with a 1.0/4 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic.

Combined with the past ratings, you’d think that Dollhouse would be dead in the water but the fans, creator Joss Whedon, and the network just refuse to give up on it.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Whedon pitched his ideas for season two to the network last week and the meeting apparently went very well. Discussions are now underway to try to find a way to make the show work financially.

A part of those discussions may be to try to find a way to take better advantage of non-traditional viewing. The show does very well in those areas but right now, they don’t pay off for the network in any meaningful way. Whedon, who’s had great success with his Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog experiment, might have some ideas on how to make that a bit more fruitful.

Dushku is certainly on board for season two. The actress is currently in Africa and Twittered, “DOLLHOUSE talk’s are goin’ on~ it’d be an extravaganza bonanza to return 4 rnd 2!”

If a second season doesn’t come to fruition, there’s still more of Dollhouse for fans to see. A 13th episode has been produced but the network has opted not to purchase it. It didn’t fit into the network’s schedule and the execs felt that last week’s installment worked better for a season (possibly series) finale anyway.

The unaired installment, titled “Epitaph One,” will however be shown at San Diego’s Comic Con in July and included on the season one DVD set that’s coming on July 28th. The DVD set will also include various featurettes, deleted scenes, the original unaired pilot, and audio commentaries from Dushku, Whedon, and writer Maurissa Tancharoen.

There's still hope! Please, God, let it happen!

On the one hand, I think this show has promise. On the other, I'll be pissed if it gets renewed because that's like Fox saying this show is better than Firefly.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']On the one hand, I think this show has promise. On the other, I'll be pissed if it gets renewed because that's like Fox saying this show is better than Firefly.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Taking from Firefly's example, Dollhouse has the potential for large DVD sales, as Firefly still ranks pretty decently on Amazon, not to mention Dollhouse is doing well when Hulu and DVR is taken into consideration. Even though Dollhouse may not be performing well ratings wise, Firefly's post-tv success has certainly helped pave the path for them to renew Dollhouse for a second season.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Not really. Taking from Firefly's example, Dollhouse has the potential for large DVD sales, as Firefly still ranks pretty decently on Amazon, not to mention Dollhouse is doing well when Hulu and DVR is taken into consideration. Even though Dollhouse may not be performing well ratings wise, Firefly's post-tv success has certainly helped pave the path for them to renew Dollhouse for a second season.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but I'll never forgive Fox for canceling Firefly. And if the cancel Terminator, oh god I will be pissed.

I really want to see this thirteenth episode. The finale was a little weak, cheesy and hammy in a few places that I know wouldn't happen if Joss wrote it.

I finally watched the last two episodes, and wow, the season finale was awesome. Not so much as the episode before (probably since it was a set-up for the finale).

I'm not sure what the numbers are for Hulu and DVR, but I hope the network understand that Friday is a terrible time slot for this show based on those numbers. Never did I once watch this at the time of showing because I am never home on Friday night (and I do watch shows live whenever possible to support the shows).

bread's done
Back