Dollhouse Friday Nights on FOX at 9pm est-Update 10/24

The show certainly ended much stronger than it started but it still just wasn't that great of a show and the downright horrific ratings the show has pulled from start to finish only add fuel to the fire.

[quote name='javeryh']FOX is leaning towards renewing Dollhouse! [/QUOTE]

Same thing from TV Guide. Dollhouse being renewed, good. The downside is that they then might also renew Terminator. Dollhouse at least has a good storyline to justify it's renewal. Terminator was in the toilet for the vast majority of it's second season.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/FallTV-Dollhouse-Strahan-1006118.aspx

Fall TV: Dollhouse "Looking Really Good" for Renewal, as Fox Also Tackles Strahan Comedy

090515strahan-dushku1.jpg

Michael Strahan, Eliza Dushku

Fox is leaving precious little to be revealed at its official Monday upfront presentation of its fall schedule.
Having already renewed Fringe and Lie to Me and announced its pick-up of the new series Sons of Tucson, Human Target and Past Life, the network now has decided to tackle Brothers, a comedy starring former NFL star Michael Strahan.
Meanwhile, on the renewal front, sources tell TVGuide.com that Dollhouse is now "looking really good" for a Season 2. Created by Joss Whedon and starring Eliza Dushku, Dollhouse wrapped up its freshman run on May 8. The action-drama averaged about 3 million viewers each week, not including impressive DVR playback boosts.
Brothers, which received a 13-episode order, follows a retired gridiron great (Strahan) and his brother (played by Darryl "Chill" Mitchell), who uses a wheelchair. CCH Pounder (The Shield) also is on the cast.

Many sources are saying now that it's gonna be back this fall with another 13 episode run. FOX will make the official statement at the upfronts on Monday.

Awesome news about the renewal.

[quote name='Genocidal']The exchange between her and Topher at the end of the finale leads me to believe she was someone from his life before she became a doll. Maybe we'll find out if the show gets another season.[/QUOTE]

Rewatching the first episode makes this even clearer, imo. I'm going with an ex-girlfriend, perhaps forced to 'volunteer' because she somehow snuck into the dollhouse.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Dollhouse is back, i just pre-order the DVD from Amazon.
I wonder if they have a lot of DVD sales with that help the show.

Hell yeah! Just got back from vacation to find out Dollhouse got renewed! I just really hope Fox moves it to Tuesday and uses Fringe as the lead in. It just makes sense. Show us you know what you're doing Mr. Murdoch. :)

[quote name='bvharris']I saw this earlier, seems like just a possibility at this point though I'd certainly welcome it. Needless to say, Summer Glau in anything = nerdgasm.[/QUOTE]

Perfect word to describe what happened when I read the article.

That picture also helped :cool:

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hell yeah! Just got back from vacation to find out Dollhouse got renewed! I just really hope Fox moves it to Tuesday and uses Fringe as the lead in. It just makes sense. Show us you know what you're doing Mr. Murdoch. :)[/QUOTE]

Was it my PM that let you know?

They moved Fringe to Thursdays. :(

I've never been a Wheden fan but I'm loving this show hard

On ep 4 now

"They're not bison, Topher."

"...they're a little bit bison."

Topher rules

I know this thread is pretty much dead, but now that the DVD/Blu-Ray came out, i was wondering if we could revive it.

I just watched the two unaired episodes, and they were very good. The "finale" that didn't air is very different from the show, but explores the future (?) of Dollhouse, and shows that it has potential to be even greater.

As for the cancelled pilot, it was very good as a cancelled episode, but i'm glad they canned it. If you were experiencing Dollhouse for the first time, i think the episode went at too fast a pace to understand.

I agree that Epitaph One was fantastic. I hope they get the chance to explore that side of things more next season. Did anyone read any quotes from Whedon or anyone about whether that ep was considered canon?

[quote name='spoo']Are all the unaired episodes on the 3rd disc or do I need to add all three discs to my netflix queue?[/QUOTE]

According to Netflix, "Epitaph One" and the unaired pilot are on disc 4.

[quote name='neocisco']According to Netflix, "Epitaph One" and the unaired pilot are on disc 4.[/QUOTE]

BluRay only has three discs. After looking for the info I found the info they are both are on the 3rd disc for bluray and 4th disc for DVD.

[quote name='bvharris']I agree that Epitaph One was fantastic. I hope they get the chance to explore that side of things more next season. Did anyone read any quotes from Whedon or anyone about whether that ep was considered canon?[/QUOTE]

It's most certainly canon, considering it was originally supposed to air on TV along with the rest of the episodes. I wouldn't expect them to immediately move into that stage of the story next season, but instead I figure they'll gradually build up to that point. Dollhouse would get even poorer ratings without Dushku on screeen, after all.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's most certainly canon, considering it was originally supposed to air on TV along with the rest of the episodes. I wouldn't expect them to immediately move into that stage of the story next season, but instead I figure they'll gradually build up to that point. Dollhouse would get even poorer ratings without Dushku on screeen, after all.[/QUOTE]

Which is ironic, since the show got exponentially better as it went on and Dushku was less the primary focus and it focused on the other characters more.

Anyone else excited? I was a pretty big fan of the first season despite all of its flaws. The premise is really good, and of course, Joss Whedon is the man.

dollhouse-s2-640x370.jpg

Yeah, I'm pumped, but also really worried because they left it on Friday nights. It just feels like...what was the point of bringing it back if they're not even going to give it a chance to succeed? Fox is just dumb. They moved Fringe to an already VERY crowded Thursday night, and left Dollhouse on Fridays. Got a bad feeling they won't be as patient with the show this year either.

Expectations are much lower on Friday so it won't have to put up the numbers it would on Tuesday, for example. I hope they don't do a full 22 ep season, this show would benefit from a more streamlined 13 ep season.

[quote name='neocisco']Expectations are much lower on Friday so it won't have to put up the numbers it would on Tuesday, for example. I hope they don't do a full 22 ep season, this show would benefit from a more streamlined 13 ep season.[/QUOTE]

It has only been renewed for 13 episodes, so consider your wish granted.

[quote name='neocisco']Expectations are much lower on Friday so it won't have to put up the numbers it would on Tuesday, for example. I hope they don't do a full 22 ep season, this show would benefit from a more streamlined 13 ep season.[/QUOTE]

But it was also on Friday last year and almost got canned several times. Why would this year really be any better? My thinking is that the people who tuned in initially, who were bored with the first few episodes, won't be coming back, regardless of how good their friends tell them it is. Where are the new viewers going to come from?

It will probably pull the same numbers it pulled last year, which Fox wasn't happy with, and I doubt will be enough to be granted a third season. It just feels like they're setting it up for failure to me. I really hope I'm wrong because I love the show. I just would have moved it to the same night as Fringe, and used the Fringe fanbase to build up its following.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But it was also on Friday last year and almost got canned several times. Why would this year really be any better? My thinking is that the people who tuned in initially, who were bored with the first few episodes, won't be coming back, regardless of how good their friends tell them it is. Where are the new viewers going to come from?

It will probably pull the same numbers it pulled last year, which Fox wasn't happy with, and I doubt will be enough to be granted a third season. It just feels like they're setting it up for failure to me. I really hope I'm wrong because I love the show. I just would have moved it to the same night as Fringe, and used the Fringe fanbase to build up its following.[/QUOTE]Fringe + Dollhouse would have been a great pairing, though the only day they could do it would be Friday night, due to Bones being in the schedule. Fringe + Bones is more of a good pairing for Thursday night, since you have to put Bones somewhere in the schedule.

[quote name='shrike4242']I guess I need to watch the "missing" episode from my BR set before I watch Friday's episode.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to watch the unaired pilot too, it's still fairly interesting to watch. The extras in general are very good.

[quote name='neocisco']I got just the 4th disc from Netflix for those 2 eps. Epitaph One isn't essential to the canon but it's a great story.[/QUOTE]

But, um... that episode *is* canon, and a glimpse of things to come.

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm boycotting Dollhouse.

Dollhouse killed Sarah Connor.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I celebrate it. Really, though, TSCC didn't need any help in it's demise. It took care of that on it's own with horrible storylines.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']But, um... that episode *is* canon, and a glimpse of things to come.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least a possibility of what may happen.

I'm unbelievably excited. Whedon has at the very least embraced the "Friday Night TV" crowd. The casting of Summer Glau as well as Battlestar alums Jamie Bamber and Michael Hogan (to go along with Tahmoh Penikett) is basically like saying "eat your heart out, nerds." That, along with the fact that the show just kept getting better and better as the first season went long has me quite thrilled. I just hope it gets more than two seasons, though I'm not optomistic.

I'm excited for the new season, but I won't be able to watch the episodes until they put them up on the website. Since Smallville has moved to Fridays, I'll be recording that (they don't upload it to the CW site) and Smackdown.

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm boycotting Dollhouse.

Dollhouse killed Sarah Connor.[/QUOTE]

Baloney. I haven't watched all of TSCC, but it wasn't because of Dollhouse it lost out.

Oh yeah, time to bump this and the other thread to bring back discussion of the show, sing its praise, and advertise it.

from the last tv show thread:

[quote name='"me"']Dollhouse - "Vows" S2 premiere/opener - WOW! That was an awesome opener!!! It really just straight up took off after the show got us reacclimated with the characters/plot etc. You guys really should start tuning into the show. Some of the best sci-fi on television and would suck for another Joss Whedon project to be canceled. Tonight really felt like a real episode, rather than some of the early episodes of the series. You can also see influences from past Whedon projects taking shape, such as from Firefly as in making sacrifices, etc. If you at all enjoyed Firefly, than I bequeath and urge you to watch this show. It really is good. [/quote]

So what were you guys's thoughts of the premiere? I briefly gave mine up top (sort of). I also forgot to mention that I was really digging the new chemistry/relationship/tension/conflict they're building between Topher and Whiskey. I kind of get the feeling that they were lovers/boyfriend-girlfriend prior to their involvement in the Dollhouse. I'm going to have to go to the dvds to see what happened between the two, as I only have a vague recollection as to what happened. Anyone care to post it?

[quote name='"Hiccup"']Dollhouse - "Vows" S2 premiere/opener - WOW! That was an awesome opener!!! It really just straight up took off after the show got us reacclimated with the characters/plot etc. You guys really should start tuning into the show. Some of the best sci-fi on television and would suck for another Joss Whedon project to be canceled. Tonight really felt like a real episode, rather than some of the early episodes of the series. You can also see influences from past Whedon projects taking shape, such as from Firefly as in making sacrifices, etc. If you at all enjoyed Firefly, than I bequeath and urge you to watch this show. It really is good.[/quote]

[quote name='"Hiccup"']So what were you guys's thoughts of the premiere? I briefly gave mine up top (sort of). I also forgot to mention that I was really digging the new chemistry/relationship/tension/conflict they're building between Topher and Whiskey. I kind of get the feeling that they were lovers/boyfriend-girlfriend prior to their involvement in the Dollhouse. I'm going to have to go to the dvds to see what happened between the two, as I only have a vague recollection as to what happened. Anyone care to post it?[/quote]

Gonna post this here as well since I think this is still the main Dollhouse discussion thread, while the other is just for the premiere, but I'm not really sure.

Oh yeah, be sure to get the DVDs. They're cheap at Walmart right now.

I just finished watching the Season Two premiere, and I have to say I enjoyed it. The show had a different "feel" from last season, but it was worth watching. If it came down to choosing between TSCC and Dollhouse, I think Fox made the correct decision.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I just finished watching the Season Two premiere, and I have to say I enjoyed it. The show had a different "feel" from last season, but it was worth watching. If it came down to choosing between TSCC and Dollhouse, I think Fox made the correct decision.[/QUOTE]

Let's hope ratings come around because last night's premiere didn't do well at all. Actually, pretty harsh. Hopefully DVR and Hulu numbers help out and the dvds sell well enough. I know the show is supposed to cost less to produce now, but you could hardly tell so hopefully that's also going in favor of the show.

It was not Dollhouse that killed T:SCC. I do think that at times T:SCC was a better show but it seemed like at times they also didn't know what to do with it. I bought season 2 on BD and I'm liking it better now than when it was on TV. However I'm also only into disc 3 and I'm sure I'm going to get to the episodes where it went down hill big time soon. As for Dollhouse I got into it but I only watched it because nothing was on for that hour between T:SCC and BSG. I saw that the raitings for this show went down big time. The sad thing is if season 2 is as good as season one started to get this is a good show. Maybe they will keep this at only 13 episodes this season and bring it back for a third.

Also not to get off topic but some did bring up T:SCC so I'm going to say it here. The same bloger that reported the show getting cancled is now saying look for it to come back 2010/2011.

[quote name='sendme']It was not Dollhouse that killed T:SCC. I do think that at times T:SCC was a better show but it seemed like at times they also didn't know what to do with it. I bought season 2 on BD and I'm liking it better now than when it was on TV. However I'm also only into disc 3 and I'm sure I'm going to get to the episodes where it went down hill big time soon. As for Dollhouse I got into it but I only watched it because nothing was on for that hour between T:SCC and BSG. I saw that the raitings for this show went down big time. The sad thing is if season 2 is as good as season one started to get this is a good show. Maybe they will keep this at only 13 episodes this season and bring it back for a third.

Also not to get off topic but some did bring up T:SCC so I'm going to say it here. The same bloger that reported the show getting cancled is now saying look for it to come back 2010/2011.[/QUOTE]

That would be interesting about T:SCC. THe only place I can imagine it going to is Sci-Fi (will never use that awful shit name they came up with). That would be cool, and I'm sure Sci-Fi is in need of some shows after both SG1 and Atlantis being over, even with the new SG Universe coming out. Really, Dollhouse would really work well and be awesome on Sci-Fi. This all comes down to if Sci-Fi would be willing to keep their muddy hands out of it, because we know what happened to Sliders after it went to Sci-Fi, or how Sci-Fi had Tremors (awesome show) and canceled it.

I think I read it on SciFiwire.com. SG Universe seems to be the only show that is going to be on SciFi till Warehouse 13 and Eureka come back. From the looks of things it seems like it will be a mix of the other 2 Stargate shows and BSG.

As for Dollhouse and T:SCC both would be better off on SciFi as long as they didn't change things unless it was for the better. Fox doesn't seem to give some shows a chance and puts them on nights where they wont do well and then cans them. As for what SciFi did to Sliders I don't really remember what they did to it. I do know that early seasons were better then the later ones. Also I didn't even know their was a Tremors TV show.

As much as I hate to give fox more money after what they did to T:SCC if the price is right I will end up picking up season one of Dollhouse on BD.

[quote name='the_punisher']It was a good opener that looks to make the second season much better than the first. Here's to hoping.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why people don't like the first season as much. It started slowly, but once it got going it became one of the consistently best shows on TV. The problem with a serialized Friday night show is that if you start slowly, you're never going to recover. Dollhouse could produce an Emmy-quality episode every week at this point and it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the ratings.

[quote name='sendme']As much as I hate to give fox more money after what they did to T:SCC if the price is right I will end up picking up season one of Dollhouse on BD.[/QUOTE]

Don't blame Fox for TSCC, blame the producers. Their lack of vision and storytelling ability is what killed that show.

Enough with TSCC, that show is dead and gone. Buying the Dollhouse BR is a little stronger influence in helping the show since Fox is actually producing the show and not just buying it to air.

[quote name='bvharris']I don't see why people don't like the first season as much. It started slowly, but once it got going it became one of the consistently best shows on TV. The problem with a serialized Friday night show is that if you start slowly, you're never going to recover. Dollhouse could produce an Emmy-quality episode every week at this point and it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the ratings.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is why I thought it was dumb of them to keep it on Friday nights. I know there wasn't a whole lot of room on other nights, but unless they're just going to accept that it's pulling "good numbers for a Friday", then it just seems like they were setting it up for failure. If Fox uses improved numbers as a measuring stick for this show's worth, it's going to get screwed, and we're going to lose a great show.

That said, I thought the premiere was great! Compared to many other premieres from other shows, it seemed to be less about setting up the new season, and more about jumping right back into the story. I found it somewhat odd that the dolls seem to be much more aware of their existence now, but I guess we can thank Alpha for that? I can only imagine what a huge role Amy Acker will have this year. I really get the feeling she'll snap at some point, maybe go rogue or something.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, this is why I thought it was dumb of them to keep it on Friday nights. I know there wasn't a whole lot of room on other nights, but unless they're just going to accept that it's pulling "good numbers for a Friday", then it just seems like they were setting it up for failure. If Fox uses improved numbers as a measuring stick for this show's worth, it's going to get screwed, and we're going to lose a great show.

That said, I thought the premiere was great! Compared to many other premieres from other shows, it seemed to be less about setting up the new season, and more about jumping right back into the story. I found it somewhat odd that the dolls seem to be much more aware of their existence now, but I guess we can thank Alpha for that? I can only imagine what a huge role Amy Acker will have this year. I really get the feeling she'll snap at some point, maybe go rogue or something.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's Joss Whedon's own fault for trusting Fox again after they did the same thing to Firefly. Everyone said at the time that the show should have been on Sci-Fi, where they wouldn't have had the same budget but the show would have doubtless lasted longer. Whedon simply wanted Dushku that badly, and she had a contract with Fox.

That said, given the dismal ratings last year it was a shock it got renewed at all, so I guess Fox should be given the benefit of the doubt until they do cancel it. I don't think it makes sense for them to bring it back and stick it on the same night knowing full well it will tank again only to cancel it a year later. But then again, most things Fox does don't make sense to me.

As for Amy Acker, the bigger a role for her the better, since she is quite hot. I was upset that Jamie Bamber was only around for one episode, although the BSG nerd in me enjoyed it just the same.

[quote name='bvharris']Honestly, it's Joss Whedon's own fault for trusting Fox again after they did the same thing to Firefly. Everyone said at the time that the show should have been on Sci-Fi, where they wouldn't have had the same budget but the show would have doubtless lasted longer. Whedon simply wanted Dushku that badly, and she had a contract with Fox.

That said, given the dismal ratings last year it was a shock it got renewed at all, so I guess Fox should be given the benefit of the doubt until they do cancel it. I don't think it makes sense for them to bring it back and stick it on the same night knowing full well it will tank again only to cancel it a year later. But then again, most things Fox does don't make sense to me.

As for Amy Acker, the bigger a role for her the better, since she is quite hot. I was upset that Jamie Bamber was only around for one episode, although the BSG nerd in me enjoyed it just the same.[/QUOTE]

Something is definitely not right at Fox. For all the terrible and plain stupid decisions they make for when they decide on which show stays or which one goes, it just doesn't make sense. Whedon or no Whedon. Fox has such a laundry list of great shows they've canceled before their time, that the reputation truly fits the adage of preceding one's self. I think everyone at this point has one or two shows that Fox has canceled prematurely, if not more. Two of my favorites were canceled: Titus and Futurama, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I know we know of the numbers Dollhouse was doing for live viewings, and that DVR viewership was quite large, but I would love to know the Hulu numbers in addition to the others to see if Hulu could have factored any. I know lots of my friends on my floor were forced into watching it on Hulu as it was their only method to.

I'm with you on the Amy Acker is hot sentiments. She's mega hot, and could carry whole plotlines for the show. I wish she was on more, because while Echo is great, Whiskey has stolen episodes in the past.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
I'm with you on the Amy Acker is hot sentiments. She's mega hot, and could carry whole plotlines for the show. I wish she was on more, because while Echo is great, Whiskey has stolen episodes in the past.[/QUOTE]

She's definitely the hottest chick on the show until this happens:

600full-summer-glau.jpg

/nerd

[quote name='bvharris']I was upset that Jamie Bamber was only around for one episode, although the BSG nerd in me enjoyed it just the same.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was fun to watch Helo vs. Apollo. Bring in Boomer and Starbuck for a mixed tag match! :lol:

bread's done
Back