Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

Anyone else having problems connecting to the EA server (no dice now and like 6 hours ago)? Since I can't I don't want to progress since it's not going to be saved, gah.

I'm utterly surprised by how robust Journeys is - I was expecting some kind of simple hack and slash flash game, but it being almost like a full fledged RPG is amazing. Hell, I'd love to see them make a distributed, more fleshed out version of this game.

FYI the 360 CE is still available on the EA Store. If you have one of the EA.com birthday emails they send out to registered users (they work until your next birthday don't believe the 30 days only line in the email) you can get it for $56+tax with free shipping.

The regular edition is also going to be $40 on Black Friday @ Sears.

Pre orders from the EA Store shipped yesterday. Too bad I'm going to have the game before I get the LE guide from Amazon though.

I would order this from ea as I would like the CE for the 360 but I ordered the normal one from amazon and used some of a gift card for it. I could cancle it but I have been having issues with amazon refunding me money used from a gift card when the price of an item has changed. So if I cancle it I'm guessing I wont get that money back also. The steelbook and extra items would be nice but for that much more and chances are tax it really isn't worth it. I should have ordered from amazon when the CE was still on the site sold by amazon.

How reliable are the Best Buy in store preorders? i was able to pick up the dvd case and pay the 5 dollars for the CE. I have election day off and I just don't want to be burned on release day.

[quote name='BigPoppa99']How reliable are the Best Buy in store preorders? i was able to pick up the dvd case and pay the 5 dollars for the CE. I have election day off and I just don't want to be burned on release day.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I could of swore Bestbuy stoped taking preorders for the CE back in Early September

[quote name='BigPoppa99']How reliable are the Best Buy in store preorders? i was able to pick up the dvd case and pay the 5 dollars for the CE. I have election day off and I just don't want to be burned on release day.[/QUOTE]

If they don't have the CE for you you have every right to raise holy hell about it. They should have it, but I've never pre-ordered from Best Buy.

If I go to BB early in the morning will they have any CE's available , or is it only for pre-orders. I recall seeing some CEs for other games.

My copy of CE shipped from Amazon today. I was afraid that it won't get here after I leave for vacation next week, although it's not like I have time to play it before that anyway.

So where is the best place to get this game? It seems each store has different content you get for pre ordering? Also is the CE worth it? Might try and hunt one down on release day since I missed out on pre ordering.

That's old news. maybe it wasn't mentioned in this thread though. It's mostly anti-piracy attempt like Gears2 did (a good idea).

Stone Prisoner is free with the game (code included) and I believe Wardens Keep is free with the deluxe version of the game (another code).

I think there is a third DLC (also free with each copy) that is Blood Armor, which can also be transfered to use in Mass Effect 2.

[quote name='Coraanu']DLC already out for the game?

"Stone Prisoner runs 1200 MS Points (197 MB) and brings a new recruitable party member, new plot and questing areas and new items. Warden's Keep runs 560 MS Points (126 MB) and offers up a dungeon adventure, ancient armor, chances at gaining new abilities and a base complete with merchants and a party chest to store loot."

http://www.examiner.com/x-3707-LA-Gaming-News-Examiner~y2009m11d2-Dragon-Age-Origins-launch-day-DLC-hits-Xbox-Live[/QUOTE]

This has been discussed before, but every new copy of DA:O comes with a code to download Stone Prisoner and the Blood Dragon armor for DA:O/ME 2 for free. Warden's Keep is day 1 DLC.

Bioware has said the game was ready for release in the summer, but since ME 2 was not going to be ready for Christmas, EA wanted a Bioware game at Christmas, so the DLC was originally intended to be released now, months after the game was originally scheduled to come out.

Now instead of just sitting on the DLC for months (especially since it might compete with ME 2) they putting it out on day 1.

This is the content exclusive to the CE:

A making of documentary
Digital soundtrack
Wallpapers
Concept art video
Strategy video
And more!

dragonAge_12_2.gif

Bergen's Honor: A massive helmet made out of dragonbone (+2 to armor, +25 physical resistance, +6 to attack)

Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes: A special book that adds
+3 to all attributes when read

Final Reason: A magical staff of immense power (adds to damage, spell power, and fire damage)

[quote name='Gamehead']If I go to BB early in the morning will they have any CE's available , or is it only for pre-orders. I recall seeing some CEs for other games.[/QUOTE]

Totally depends on the store. They took preorders on it but who knows how many they will have.

The EA Store and getting lucky at Best Buy are the only ways to get a CE right now (Gamestop and Amazon stopped taking orders for it months ago.)

I'm still bummed Best Buy is not giving out any pre-order bonuses, but at least I may have been able to secure the LE, since I pre-ordered it a couple weeks ago.

If you want the CE, go to the EA store. I ordered one last night. You get all the regular CE goodies + exclusive EA store fire ring + free shipping. $79.95 shipped after tax.

[quote name='thrustbucket'] I believe Wardens Keep is free with the deluxe version of the game (another code).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSUHitman']Warden's Keep is day 1 DLC.[/QUOTE]

Wait. I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. Warden's Keep is strictly DLC you have to purchase over Live because it doesn't come with either of the version of the game; right?

question. if i preordered the game in store, when i pick it up will it still be wrapped in plastic? cause i know they are known for putting games on shelves without the plastic wrap on and sealed shut

[quote name='Ma12kez']Wait. I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. Warden's Keep is strictly DLC you have to purchase over Live because it doesn't come with either of the version of the game; right?[/QUOTE]

Seems like it:

* Every new retail box of DA:O contains a promotional code on a promotional code card which when redeemed provides a free download of The Stone Prisoner. Digital purchases of DA:O will have the code emailed.

Blood Dragon Armor Included with original purchase and registration of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Did anyone else get an email from gamestop with the preorder codes? I got mine but the codes are only 20 digits long and the xbox 360 codes are usually supposed to be 25 digits long.

Edit: Nevermind. I checked and you're supposed to register the codes on Bioware's site, not through the xbox.

NP.

Also, looks like you can get the Lucky Stone ring by downloading/using the PC character creator:

luckystone.png

• Adds +1 to all of your stats
  • The Lucky Stone is available from within DragonAge: Origins after you have uploaded a character using the Character Creator.

*Item is available on all platforms by logging into the game with same account used to upload your character

Anyone have any experience with amazon shipping preorders on street dated games?

I bought the collectors edition, one day shipping on the 12th of September. They charged me late last night and it's been on "shipping soon" forever. Says estimated delivery of the 5th, but people have been saying they have already shipped other CE's.

Any chance it could arrive tomorrow and they just didn't update the shipping status?

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Anyone have any experience with amazon shipping preorders on street dated games?

I bought the collectors edition, one day shipping on the 12th of September. They charged me late last night and it's been on "shipping soon" forever. Says estimated delivery of the 5th, but people have been saying they have already shipped other CE's.

Any chance it could arrive tomorrow and they just didn't update the shipping status?[/QUOTE]

I ordered CE last month chose one day shipping, they shipped mine around 6pm tonight, will be delivered tomorrow

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Anyone have any experience with amazon shipping preorders on street dated games?

Any chance it could arrive tomorrow and they just didn't update the shipping status?[/QUOTE]
I got mine today (PC CE)-- ordered Sept 29th with Amazon Prime 2-day shipping. They sent it via OnTrac, which tends to be faster than Fedex/UPS/USPS for the west coast.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']I'm just as confused... if they charge my card, it should ship the same day? I haven't gotten any emails of shipment yet.[/QUOTE]

They tend to charge your card a few hours Before or After they shipped. Amazon tends to be rather slow when sending an email letting you know your item shipped. Example was when I ordered Batman Arkham Asylum with release day shipping, I dident get the email/confirmed shipping till early the morning of release.

[quote name='Poor2More']They tend to charge your card a few hours Before or After they shipped. Amazon tends to be rather slow when sending an email letting you know your item shipped. Example was when I ordered Batman Arkham Asylum with release day shipping, I dident get the email/confirmed shipping till early the morning of release.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. I'll hope for the best.

Thanks for the reminder! I was trying to pre-order the 360 CE online but it is no longer on the site. Looks like I'll be going in-store to try and get a copy and now I can get $10 off even though I'm basically getting it free with my gift card. Good looking out!

I've read about 8 reviews this morning. Unfortunately it sounds like the Xbox 360 version looks the worst. Of course, everyone says get it on PC. I really don't feel like spending 60 hours in my office chair though.... And I hate playing games on my PS3 (bluray only).

Gamespot gave the PC version a 9.5, PS3 version a 9, and the 360 version an 8.5:

The differences between versions aren't limited to the interface. Dragon Age doesn't look amazing on the PC, but it's an attractive game nonetheless. Zooming from an isometric view to a third-person perspective is slick, and while environments don't hold up quite as well when viewed up close, they're consistently lovely when viewed from above. On the flip side, the Xbox 360 version looks positively disappointing. Textures are highly compressed and colors are washed out, though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around. The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times. Minor visual hiccups, like corpses that disappear and reappear, are a bit more common on the PS3, however. The PC version is the superior experience, but if you're choosing between the two console releases, the PlayStation 3 has the upper hand.

Sounds like not a lot of time was spent on optimizing the console engines.

I picked up the CE at Best Buy for 360. They had a handful for each console.

The pre order bonus items from Gamestop and Amazon, are they items you can normally get in game?

[quote name='erectiontown']got my reg. ed. from EA yesterday.... seems cool, but boy this game is not pretty.[/QUOTE]

I noticed this when I was watching some of the preview video's I downloaded off the market place. I thought maybe it was just early screen shots and the game was still in development.

Kind of sucks, but I can usually overlook sub par graphics if the gameplay is solid.

[quote name='DomLando']I picked up the CE at Best Buy for 360. They had a handful for each console.

The pre order bonus items from Gamestop and Amazon, are they items you can normally get in game?[/QUOTE]

All those preorder items are DLC with a one time code and all, not items you can get in-game apparently, but this is a huge RPG, those items don't seem to matter as you might replace them early ala other games.

Also on the graphics, even though my mind tells me it sucks that the graphics aren't on par across the board, I was playing God of War 2 yesterday and one of my initial reactions was "the graphics are kinda outdate, but its a PS2 game so...". 5 minutes into the game, I couldn't tell you it was a PS2 game, I was into the gameplay, not the graphics. Graphics are nice on pics and paper, once the game starts, you kinda forget unless they show glitches or bugs on the game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']For those of you picking up the game at Best Buy tomorrow, don't forget the RZ coupon...[/QUOTE]

Ah, damnit. Well thanks anyways. I went and picked up the collector's editions this morning. Wouldn't have any way to print this coupon out anyways I think. $80 sheesh! :hot:

Coupon worked fine thanks LinkinPrime

2 seemed to be the magic number, BB only had two of each CE for each console but some 20 copies of the regular

Your welcome.

Damn, I'm worried that mine won't be in store. I won't be able to check it out till later this evening when I get off work.

How's the CE look, is it a Steelbook like the DVD's/Blu-Ray's or a tin case?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Your welcome.

Damn, I'm worried that mine won't be in store. I won't be able to check it out till later this evening when I get off work.

How's the CE look, is it a Steelbook like the DVD's/Blu-Ray's or a tin case?[/QUOTE]

Steelbook thank God, i'm tired of bloated tin cases. Think Halo 2 or Lost planet style

bread's done
Back