Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Ma12kez']Wait. I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. Warden's Keep is strictly DLC you have to purchase over Live because it doesn't come with either of the version of the game; right?[/QUOTE]

Correct. See my previous post for Bioware's explanation.

[quote name='coolsteel']Steelbook thank God, i'm tired of bloated tin cases. Think Halo 2 or Lost planet style[/QUOTE]

Excellent, that's what I was hoping for.

[quote name='coolsteel']Steelbook thank God, i'm tired of bloated tin cases. Think Halo 2 or Lost planet style[/QUOTE]

Depending on your proximity to UPS hubs, EA Store buyers may be getting their games today. My LE is scheduled to arrive today, but the LE guide from Amazon just shipped today. :(

Pre-ordered the CE from Amazon ways back and it shipped out yesterday. It should be here tomorrow so I'm not worried about anything. Good news is that I also bought the CE guide today and I am pretty stoked to see what this game has to offer.

Just got the ps3 steel book from my local best buy. U don't need a coupon if u are a gamers club member. It wasn't working for me though even though I am a member so the manager just took off $10. $70 including tax. Normally I wouldn't spend this much but it looks good to me, plan to start by watching the blu-Ray tonight (I'm weird like that haha).

To anyone with the CE guide, how is it? I'm debating if it is worth the $20 amazon wants for it.

Sorry for double post but hard to edit on my phone.

I purchased the game this morning but now I'm at work for another 6 hours. Oh the wait.

I'm really excite to mess around with the classes. Very few RPG's these days seem to have Bards, Templars, or Champions.

[quote name='cdrober']To anyone with the CE guide, how is it? I'm debating if it is worth the $20 amazon wants for it.

Sorry for double post but hard to edit on my phone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah anyone that has the guide let us know. I'm expecting something on par with the Fallout 3 CE guide.

So I don't know how you're going to get the soundtrack/wallpapers off the PS3 CE, but on the 360 you just put the bonus disc in your PC DVD drive. Bioware learned their lesson from the Mass Effect 1 CE and decided not to Ubisoft us and let us take the songs/wallpapers off the DVD and put them onto our PC.

Soundtrack is 18 songs and there are 10 different wallpapers, each at 4 different resolutions. I'm rocking the Morrigan one on my PC right now.

I am so glad I went and got the CE from BB. I'm going to save it and make someone give it to me for my birthday (thanksgiving) or for Christmas. Not dying to play it but it's great to know i have a solid game down the line. I was a huge Baldur's Gate 1&2 fan. I still follow the mods for those games from time to time. From what I understand this game is a true "pause & assign combat tasks to your party members" sort of game and that is exactly what I loved about BG. You'd get slaughtered and think! Jesus this is impossible...but then you'd go back...rethink your strategy...remember you had that wand of web, that oil of speed, scroll of haste. Remember that your druid could shapeshift, etc. And you'd utilize everything to win.

According to the Giant Bomb review, the difficulty is "steep". They recommend your average RPG-er to play on Easy. After the harmless KOTOR games and the tame-as-a-kitten Jade Empire...I am ready to get my ass kicked.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So I don't know how you're going to get the soundtrack/wallpapers off the PS3 CE, but on the 360 you just put the bonus disc in your PC DVD drive. Bioware learned their lesson from the Mass Effect 1 CE and decided not to Ubisoft us and let us take the songs/wallpapers off the DVD and put them onto our PC.

Soundtrack is 18 songs and there are 10 different wallpapers, each at 4 different resolutions. I'm rocking the Morrigan one on my PC right now.[/QUOTE]

This just made me chuckle, you're right for the ps3 it just says put it in a PC to access the soundtrack. Which of course does me no good without a blu ray drive.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Please tell me they offer widescreen resolutions?[/QUOTE]

1280x1024 full
1600x1200 full
1920x1200 wide
1920x1080 HD

Beware those in the preview program may have an issue getting to the title screen on this game. Both myself and joe2187 had to reboot the game multiple times to get the EA Terms of Service to appear so we could get to the title screen. Every time it failed we were stuck looking at a blank title screen.

My other XBL friends that have the game had no issues which makes me believe it's an issue with the preview program. Already tweeted it to @thevowel.

Damn it! That's something to look forward to.

---------

Got my CE copy and I almost got screwed. They didn't have the copy at the CS desk, I was about to shit a brick, but luckily they called a dude in the VG dept, and he brought one over. Got my $10 GC too.

I am so glad to hear you can DL the songs off the disc to the PC (360 version). That was one of the reasons I sprung for the CE, I love game music.

I ordered the CE from the EA store on Sunday, still no shipping confirmation. Don't they know I've got ants in my freaking pants!!

Hmm, anyone else order a CE from the EA Store? If so, was yours sealed in shrinkwrap? I just got mine but it was only sealed with clear stickers on the top and bottom. I don't see a code anywhere for the EA store exclusive items, any idea how those work? :\ hrm..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just clear stickers on the top and bottom as well. The EA Store item codes should have been emailed to you today, everything else is in the case.

I'm in the preview program, and I had no problems accessing the game btw.

------

No idea how limited, but it was limited to pre-orders. Best Buy or EA store is your best bet.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just clear stickers on the top and bottom as well. The EA Store item codes should have been emailed to you today, everything else is in the case.[/QUOTE]

Didn't get my copy from EA store yet, but I got an email this A.M. with the codes for the rings.

[quote name='PseudoFinrod']Does anyone know just how limited the Collector's Edition run is?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing like the Mass Effect LE, needlessly limited. I had look around all morning for the CE.

No retailers list it online, only in store GS preorders were handled. Best Buy should get a trickle in over the months but again, I think this will actually be a limited LE.

It's a pretty solid LE too, despite my inability to get the damn soundtrack off my PS3 BluRay. At least all the video is in a well transferred HD.

Mass Effect had 10 times the marketing support and Bioware still did a very limited run of it. I suspect the inevitable GH version may have the extras disc though like ME had.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm in the preview program, and I had no problems accessing the game btw.[/QUOTE]

Yeah E from XBox Live said it must be a network issue on my end, but I'm in St. Louis and Joe2187 is in CA, we have different routers, and we're on different internet connections and we both had the same problem at the exact same time. It was just weird.

Just a reminder to those who have a Fry's Electronics in their area, Wal-Mart has a holiday policy where you don't need the ad to price match (they have the commercial running on their own television displays in the electronics section). I was able to get it for $47.99 without any hassle.

::EDIT::
Are these "one-time use codes" treated in the same manner as purchasing content on Xbox Live? Will I be able to download it again if I switch out the HDD? I switch between two different 20 GB HDDs on occasion and just want to make sure I can download it again if something happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering for the people that pre ordered with amazon does the pre order items come with the game or do they get emailed to you? I still have yet to get the ones for Tekken and amazon said I woudl get them 10 days after the game comes out so I'm wondering if that is the case with this game also.

[quote name='sendme']Just wondering for the people that pre ordered with amazon does the pre order items come with the game or do they get emailed to you? I still have yet to get the ones for Tekken and amazon said I woudl get them 10 days after the game comes out so I'm wondering if that is the case with this game also.[/QUOTE]

Anything outside The Stone Prisoner and the Blood Armor (or also the 3 items exclusive to the CE) will be emailed to you if you ordered online through any authorized retailer (Gamestop, Amazon, EA Store, etc.) EA Store customers were sent an email this morning with the codes.

Got in on the Amazon CE. Hadn't opened my regular ed from gamestop so it goes back... minus the rave card since I've already redeemed the code.

Im digging this game very much, I am only on the Noble Origins (Story kicks off nice) I cant wait to get deeper into the story telling.

To those of you playing as a Human Noble, I was wondering if I missed anything in the beginning:
I only did the Dog side mission then went straight to Fergus hoping I could look around the castle afterward. However, once I finished talking to him it sends me straight to bed and then chaos ensues during the night. Did I miss anything important like any other side quests that were available before talking to Fergus?
Debating whether or not to just restart, but would like to see if anyone knows.

In my opinion, the game doesn't look as bad as everyone says, but that's just me. Can't wait to get home from work and progress the story!:bouncy:

How is the interface on the 360? A bunch of the reviews I read seemed kind of down on the console versions because the PC interface for the game was significantly different/better. Trying to decide if I want the PC or 360 version and that is kind of a deal breaker.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']How is the interface on the 360? A bunch of the reviews I read seemed kind of down on the console versions because the PC interface for the game was significantly different/better. Trying to decide if I want the PC or 360 version and that is kind of a deal breaker.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm trying to decide too. Does the comfort of the couch outweigh the lack of hotkeys? Hmmm...

[quote name='seanr1221']Is the game super deep, or is it on par with ME and KOTOR?[/QUOTE]
I'd say it's deeper than those games. That probably means it will have an overall narrower appeal. It's got LOTS of story stuff and LOTS of talking. If you aren't really into the lore and read the codex in the game a lot to learn about a lot of the backstory and talk to a lot of NPC's you'd prob find it boring.

[quote name='keithp']Yeah, I'm trying to decide too. Does the comfort of the couch outweigh the lack of hotkeys? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

I finally decided the couch was more important to me. From all I have read, it's almost a different game on the PC though, harder and more micro managing.

Maybe it was the 10.00 giftcard, or maybe it was the birthday money in my pocket, but I ended up putting out the 75.00 and got the CE (something I haven't done since BioShock). Hopefully I don't regret it.

Picked it up for $19.99 on the GS trade in deal last night. Got the 360 version. Not to far into it and wondering if I should change the choices I made.

First I played on Normal but now I am thinking I should have take it up a notch. Then I chose Elf Rogue with the whole botched wedding thing. Now I am thinking Warier might have been more to my liking.

Edit: Anyone buy the add on stuff yet? Worth it?

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']How is the interface on the 360? A bunch of the reviews I read seemed kind of down on the console versions because the PC interface for the game was significantly different/better. Trying to decide if I want the PC or 360 version and that is kind of a deal breaker.[/QUOTE]

I refused to buy the game when all I could find were gameplay vids of the PC version because I loathe PC interfaces for RPG's (starts flame war, inadvertently).

I haven't played the game yet, as it hasn't shipped from EA, but I'm thinking that those who haven't been indoctrinated by PC interfaces should be just fine. If you grew up on PC, then you might prefer it.

Anyone know what skill helps you open chests in the game? I can't open any chests at all as of right now, but was thinking the "thief" skill had something to do with it. I'm still in the first few hours of the game.

[quote name='BREVITY']Picked it up for $19.99 on the GS trade in deal last night. Got the 360 version. Not to far into it and wondering if I should change the choices I made.

First I played on Normal but now I am thinking I should have take it up a notch. Then I chose Elf Rogue with the whole botched wedding thing. Now I am thinking Warier might have been more to my liking.

Edit: Anyone buy the add on stuff yet? Worth it?[/QUOTE]

You should have a code for the Stone Prison DLC or whatever it's called in the box. As for difficulty, from what I hear it ratchets up pretty quickly and by about 15-20 hours in, it can be pretty hard at times even on normal.

The Stone Prisoner comes with the normal edition? #-o now I REALLY regret my CE purchase.

---

The game is really good so far, but I'm only 2.5 hours into it as an Elf Mage.

bread's done
Back