Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='seanr1221']X, you can avoid friendly fire on normal too.[/QUOTE]

I'm not playing it on the xbox, so it means little to me. :p

I don't mind friendly fire though, it leaves me more reminiscent of the original Baldur's Gate.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Are the CE a SteelBook™ (Authentic) or MetalPak™ (Chinese made)?[/QUOTE]

Back, bottom says: "Disc made in the U.S.A. Tin made in China. Map made in Canada. Other printed materials..." I haven't opened mine though. that's all I know.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Are the CE a SteelBook™ (Authentic) or MetalPak™ (Chinese made)?[/QUOTE]

Star MetalPak, is that the same thing you mentioned?

Bah, it seems there is a glitch when trying to romance leliana. It's possible to a dialog option that would lead to her quest.... there is a way to fix but it's still annoying.

I am at 20 hours now and have played so far on Hard (so there is 50% friendly fire). I am playing a mage. I have never felt the game was too hard.

For anyone that hasn't started yet, I highly recommend you play on Hard. The game is too easy otherwise. At least, in the first 20 hours so far it is.

Not everyone who has this game is experienced with RPG's though. A friend of mine is having some hardships with the game and is alternating between liking it and hating it.

He's playing on either normal or casual, not exactly sure which

[quote name='thrustbucket']I realize that. I am just saying that the game, on consoles, by default, is easy. I suggest all new players start out on hard setting.[/QUOTE]

I'd also go as far as to say you should set it to Nightmare on consoles if you're familiar with Bioware games.

As you change the difficulty, does the XP and drops change at all? Or is this purely a game play change?

I think it's just all gameplay related. You do less damage and friendly fire is turned on, more tactics needed, etc.

FYI I got the CE guide in today from Amazon. Anyone who is remotely interested in it needs to get it from Amazon for $20. Very nice cover, covers everything including Stone Prisoner/Warden's Keep, and has a huge art/world backstory section with stuff not even in the game codex.

great, im stuck in the last room of the elven ruins quest. seems to be a bug. wtf do i do? wait for a patch?

OK, I'm an old-school Black Isle Studios/Bioware fan. I still play the old BGs. I've got a PC that could handle DA:O but I'd rather kick back on my couch and get achievements. I'm a big fan of pausing every other second to assign my characters' actions.

Anyone care to comment on the quality of the Xbox version? (I've got a collector's edition here and wondering whether I should take it back to the store. But I'm not too worried.)

Unfortunaltely I'm getting mine for the Xbox version, no way in hell my PC can handle it >_< Still the controls/handling worry me.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']OK, I'm an old-school Black Isle Studios/Bioware fan. I still play the old BGs. I've got a PC that could handle DA:O but I'd rather kick back on my couch and get achievements. I'm a big fan of pausing every other second to assign my characters' actions.

Anyone care to comment on the quality of the Xbox version? (I've got a collector's edition here and wondering whether I should take it back to the store. But I'm not too worried.)[/QUOTE]

I am pretty much in the same boat. I think you'll be fine. I went with the xbox version and it works fine. You can pause and queue up commands just fine. The only real downside is it's uglier.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I am pretty much in the same boat. I think you'll be fine. I went with the xbox version and it works fine. You can pause and queue up commands just fine. The only real downside is it's uglier.[/QUOTE]

How much uglier we talking about?

Anyone order from EA and still not get the game? My order still says 'in process' and the order was placed on 11/1. Plus, they don't respond to inquiries sent via email.

I ended up buying the regular ed. at Toys R Us yesterday....but still, where is my CE? I'm very annoyed at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick question. I've got enough credit at GS to get a new game and I'm leaning pretty heavily towards this one, but I've never actually played this kind of game. I was also thinking of Borderlands, but from what I hear that game's plot is rather thin, and I rarely play online, if at all.

So just how easy would it be for a rookie like me to get the hang of it? Does it ease you in like most games these days, or does it throw you in the deep end right away? Would this game be the one to get me into this style of game?

[quote name='n11n12']Just a quick question. I've got enough credit at GS to get a new game and I'm leaning pretty heavily towards this one, but I've never actually played this kind of game. I was also thinking of Borderlands, but from what I hear that game's plot is rather thin, and I rarely play online, if at all.

So just how easy would it be for a rookie like me to get the hang of it? Does it ease you in like most games these days, or does it throw you in the deep end right away? Would this game be the one to get me into this style of game?[/QUOTE]

Borderlands' greatest appeal for me has been the multiplayer. An FPS Diablo 2 (albeit, inferior to Diablo but you get the idea) solo just won't keep me entertained. With friends though.... :bouncy:

Dragon Age, on the other hand, has redeemed Bioware in my eyes. Baldur's gate was a game I enjoyed, KoToR I struggled to enjoy.... Jade Empire was fun, and Mass Effect blew nasty chunks (my opinion, obviously). Dragon Age is fantastic. It's single player only, which I found mildly disappointing, but the world is very well developed, the game is easy to get into and fun to play, and the story is paced better than the two Bioware games I had problems with.

And, if you're getting it from Gamestop, it is $49.99 this week (I bought my copy on Tuesday, and between school, L4D, Borderlands, beating Batman Arkham Asylum, and SF4, I've still managed to find 7 hours to invest in Dragon Age this week.)

[quote name='Kreutz'] KoToR I struggled to enjoy....[/QUOTE]

I stopped reading here.....

(Lol. J/k. It's cool, you're allowed to not like games..)

Anyway, he is right, if you don't play online, then boarderlands probably isn't a good pick for you. The online is what makes it great. I'm about 10 hours into it and its getting a bit stale.

Dragon Age is a good bet for you if you are mainly a single player type gamer.

If you can wait until black friday, most stores are going to have it for $39.99

I'm 25 hours in, with a few hours spread across the other origin stories. Amount of the game completed ? 20%! ?!?!

But in all seriousness, game of the year. Even the graphics grow on you, there are tons of beautiful environments and architecture.

Just wondering can you can get achievment on any setting? I have changed it from normal to casual a few times and was wondering if I could still get them.

[quote name='sendme']Just wondering can you can get achievment on any setting? I have changed it from normal to casual a few times and was wondering if I could still get them.[/QUOTE]

I do not think there are any achievements that track what difficulty you play on. But I'm not 100%

[quote name='seanr1221']I really wish I could sell my CE :/[/QUOTE]

??? Where are you trying to sell it? Why wouldn't you be able to sell the CE?

[quote name='kamui34']Is the Warden's Keep DLC code available only for the CE version?[/QUOTE]

The only version of the game that came with Warden's Keep is the Digital Deluxe PC version because there was no tin and map with that being a digital download. It's $7 on all the other versions.

First time viewing this thread.

I put about 10 hours in, everything was going smoothly, then I just started dying on like every battle.
I chose to go to Redcliffe first, and took about 6 tries to take out the room where you find everyone. Then I got owned by the 6 suits of armor afterward. I go into the overworld to grind and I get destroyed by a pack of wolves in random battles. WTF? I can't believe this wall I'm hitting!

The AI tactics probably screwed me as I put one guy as defensive -- only to find out he didn't attack unless I told him to. But it's got to be something else, too. I'm a level 8 elf warrior, by the way.

Any (non-snarky) advice? I'm really close to perma-shelving this. I could deal with the ugly graphics and bad inventory system, but this is ridiculous.

[quote name='ViolentLee']First time viewing this thread.

I put about 10 hours in, everything was going smoothly, then I just started dying on like every battle.
I chose to go to Redcliffe first, and took about 6 tries to take out the room where you find everyone. Then I got owned by the 6 suits of armor afterward. I go into the overworld to grind and I get destroyed by a pack of wolves in random battles. WTF? I can't believe this wall I'm hitting!

The AI tactics probably screwed me as I put one guy as defensive -- only to find out he didn't attack unless I told him to. But it's got to be something else, too. I'm a level 8 elf warrior, by the way.

Any (non-snarky) advice? I'm really close to perma-shelving this. I could deal with the ugly graphics and bad inventory system, but this is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Change the difficulty. There are some good AI Builds on gamefaqs if you do a search that and tactics builds. Another thing is to have different characters master different things. Dont spread everybody around and too thin with the skills.

^^ Thanks for the advice. I already have been playing on Normal. I'd feel like such a weenie on Casual.
I looked on the official Dragon Age forum, and several other people have had similar problems.

It's just so weird to be going along at a good clip and then all of a sudden getting your ass kicked even though you didn't really change anything.

Bioware has had "AI templates" since Baldur's Gate 1. I think if you've followed their track record you'd agree with me in saying that no one who ever loved those games ever used the AI templates. You get the most out of the game by micromanaging your squadmates. Or else they wouldn't put a pause feature in the game.

The GiantBomb quick look said that Normal is pretty damn hard, so I wouldn't be ashamed if you switched over to casual. In the old Baldur's Gate days, your squad would be going through the forest and this giant worm maggot thing would come up and bite your cleric's ass, turn him to stone, then shatter him with the next critical hit. Let's just say that you can't resurrect a dude whose remains are scattered stone. Also, nothing better than talking to some random npc and having him turn into a rhaksasa.

Although ive had more than a few deaths along the way, its been fairly smooth. I did the witherfang quest first (did redcliffe yesterday) Redcliffe has some real good fights so i can easily see how you died, had one that took a good while before i beat it, the one with the revenant.Im making sure to have morrigan in the party, having a healer has made a big difference. Im playing on normal on the 360, totally love the game! Its kept me away from mw2 just fine lol...

I am about 26 hours in and I love this game. Between this and CoD 6 I don't need anything else for a long time.

bread's done
Back