Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

My biggest complaint with the 360 interface is that it's very difficult to pause the game and queue up orders. You have to hold the left trigger and then use the bumper buttons to cycle through and choose actions. Even then, it doesn't work that well (unless I'm doing something wrong).

[quote name='seanr1221']The Stone Prisoner comes with the normal edition? #-o now I REALLY regret my CE purchase.

---

The game is really good so far, but I'm only 2.5 hours into it as an Elf Mage.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as I understand it, Stone Prisoner DLC is free with any new copy of the game, which makes sense because the 4 secret achievements are related to that DLC. The other DLC is just a bonus mission or something that people that bought the digital CE for PC get for free to make up for the fact that they don't get a cloth map or steelbook.

I can't really make up my mind if I want to stick with the CE which is already here or wait for the regular edition from Amazon. If the difference was only $15 I would just stick with the CE but after the Amazon credit and the fact that EA.com charged me tax for some reason, the difference is more like $35.

[quote name='seanr1221']The Stone Prisoner comes with the normal edition? #-o now I REALLY regret my CE purchase.

---

The game is really good so far, but I'm only 2.5 hours into it as an Elf Mage.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't regret your CE purchase because you got the extra in game items that the regular edition does not come with, depending on where you pre-ordered of course. Plus the CE appears to actually be limited so the game's value will increase in time.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Anyone know what skill helps you open chests in the game? I can't open any chests at all as of right now, but was thinking the "thief" skill had something to do with it. I'm still in the first few hours of the game.[/QUOTE]I actually figured it out. You either have to be a Rogue yourself or have someone in your party who is a Rogue in order to open chests.

[quote name='thrustbucket']My biggest complaint with the 360 interface is that it's very difficult to pause the game and queue up orders. You have to hold the left trigger and then use the bumper buttons to cycle through and choose actions. Even then, it doesn't work that well (unless I'm doing something wrong).[/QUOTE]There's an option where you can just toggle the left trigger instead of holding it down; if that makes it any easier for you.

Loving the game so far though. The story is awesome, voice acting is pretty good, and reading the stuff in the codex adds a lot to the story. They put a tremendous amount of effort into the story and its history, while characters and NPCs have countless things to talk about. I've probably spent half the time I've played already on just talking to various people and reading into the codex.

The only real gripe I have with the game so far is that your character doesn't even speak during conversations; only in battle.

Is there a way to get your party members to disengage combat and follow you?

I have been using the hold position command thus far, and it works pretty well, but playing on hard difficulty, it can get annoying when the only option I have to stop my party from going forward is halting them right in the LoS of enemies' ranged attacks.

level 9 dwarf warrior in the raw fade, guys I can't change into the mouse, how do I get past this part? I've been stuck here for like 40 minutes! IM STUCKS!!

one thing that bothers me: I hate that my character is constantly walking when i'm not pressing anything. i'll go to talk to an NPC and instead of talking he'll just keep walking until i pretty the control stick. annoying as shit.

[quote name='Ma12kez']

There's an option where you can just toggle the left trigger instead of holding it down; if that makes it any easier for you.
[/QUOTE]

I played with that. As soon as you press A it unpauses the game. How do you queue up more than one move on different chars?

[quote name='thrustbucket']I played with that. As soon as you press A it unpauses the game. How do you queue up more than one move on different chars?[/QUOTE]I think you have to individually switch to each character manually to perform specific talents if you like to micromanage like that. Or you could just set up their Combat Tactics slots and behavior ("if-then" statements similar to FFXII's gambit system) to fit your play style.

Speaking of Combat Tactics, does anyone know if the main character's Combat Tactics skill determines the number of tactics slots for all characters, or if each character's individual Combat Tactics skill determines the number of tactics they have individually?

Can someone please explain how to control your party?

I know LB and RB cycles through them, but what does pushing LB and RB at the same time do?

[quote name='graf1k']You should have a code for the Stone Prison DLC or whatever it's called in the box. As for difficulty, from what I hear it ratchets up pretty quickly and by about 15-20 hours in, it can be pretty hard at times even on normal.[/QUOTE]

Wow thanks guys. Dodged a bullet there. I didnt know it was in the box. It was behind the manual and I didnt take the manual out. Glad I had not bought the new stuff yet. Tnx

Guys, this is an awesome game, but don't EVER go to the circle of the magi. I am stuck there in a quest called "Lost in dreams", which has killed the game for me.

So, is anyone else having the issue with achievements not working in the DLC? I unlocked them, but my gamerscore hasn't updated at all, nor has the actual count for achievements unlocked. From what I'm hearing it seems to be a fairly common problem, but I haven't heard any real good solutions yet. Anyone have any ideas? It's annoying, I'm missing 75+ points due to this. Granted, I don't care too much, as I'm absolutely loving the game so far anyway, but I'd like my points.

So how many of you playing this on the 360 played Bioware's classic RPGs on PC? I'm still debating whether to get this on console or PC--the graphics downgrade on the 360 doesn't bother me at all, the lack of hotkeys and not being able to zoom out might though. Has anyone that played the Baldur's Gates and NWN's switched to the console for this game and found it to be a problem?

Still haven't received mine from EA store yet, haven't even received the 'item shipped' email. Anyone else having this problem?

I can't freaking wait to play this game any longer!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Still haven't received mine from EA store yet, haven't even received the 'item shipped' email. Anyone else having this problem?

I can't freaking wait to play this game any longer![/QUOTE]

I ordered one about a week before it came out and I got it on release date actually. I ordered another one the day the game came out and I got the Shipping Notification email yesterday, so it should be arriving tomorrow since the shipping center is pretty close to me.

Cant wait to get home and hop back onto the game this morning, been fun so far! Im playing the 360 version...

[quote name='AshesofWake']anybody recommend getting the CE of the startegy guide? its only 20 or so bucks on amazon.[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you one thing... It looks cool as hell. I think I might buy it just to have it.

[quote name='keithp']So how many of you playing this on the 360 played Bioware's classic RPGs on PC? I'm still debating whether to get this on console or PC--the graphics downgrade on the 360 doesn't bother me at all, the lack of hotkeys and not being able to zoom out might though. Has anyone that played the Baldur's Gates and NWN's switched to the console for this game and found it to be a problem?[/QUOTE]

If you have a PC that can run it, get it on PC. I played Baldur's Gate on PC but my current PC was built in 2003. It can barely handle Press Your Luck, let alone Dragon Age.

Has anyone else found a glitch in naming a certain new party member pretty early on? I put in the name I wanted, the game froze up for a second, when it unfroze, it had assigned something like "d2zdaega3igal5lasdgzz" as my new party member! I thought it was pretty funny, but it's a little distracting.

Oh, great game, btw.

[quote name='Kurt_Rambis']Has anyone else found a glitch in naming a certain new party member pretty early on? I put in the name I wanted, the game froze up for a second, when it unfroze, it had assigned something like "d2zdaega3igal5lasdgzz" as my new party member! I thought it was pretty funny, but it's a little distracting.

Oh, great game, btw.[/QUOTE]
I had the same issue. I tried to name him Bitey, and instead he's called fgf5x5adfasdfetc etc. I just call him Fug for short.

Got the collector's edition. I love the cloth map. Very Nice. I preorder this from the EA Store and was supposed to get a "Band of Fire" exclusive. But I do not see a code or anything for it. Was it supposed to be in the case? Does anyone have any information on this?

Did anyone else's CE come with no shrink-wrap, mine had sticker seals at the top and bottom. but my slip cover looks like its a year old with all tiny scratches it has.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Got the collector's edition. I love the cloth map. Very Nice. I preorder this from the EA Store and was supposed to get a "Band of Fire" exclusive. But I do not see a code or anything for it. Was it supposed to be in the case? Does anyone have any information on this?[/QUOTE]

You should have gotten an email from the EA Store with your in-game codes for the two rings.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Did anyone else's CE come with no shrink-wrap, mine had sticker seals at the top and bottom. but my slip cover looks like its a year old with all tiny scratches it has.[/QUOTE]

Myself and another poster who got it from the EA Store both said earlier that's how our games came as well. Well the stickers part, my slip cover looked fine. Can't complain since I paid $60 including tax and free shipping for it.

Anyone else's cloth map very unraveled on the sides? It was in very poor shape out of the box.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Anyone else's cloth map very unraveled on the sides? It was in very poor shape out of the box.[/QUOTE]

Mine is...I figured it was on purpose to give it that old look.

Also, my Steelbook was pretty scratched up. :/

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Anyone else's cloth map very unraveled on the sides? It was in very poor shape out of the box.[/QUOTE]

Mines unraveled a little bit. I thought maybe that was the look they were going for.

[quote name='MSUHitman']You should have gotten an email from the EA Store with your in-game codes for the two rings.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Checked my email and junkmail. Haven't gotten an email yet. I got my shipment confirmation email yesterday and the game today. Has anyone here who preordered from the EAstore got their exclusive code email yet?

At least you guys got the game itself! I did get an email from EA on Tuesday w/ the code for the rings, but no shipping confirmation. I'm getting really annoyed. Even worse, there isn't even a method to contact EA to inquire because the 'contact email' links are all dead links. Very messed up. I'm ready to just go buy the regular edition at the store and sell the CE (if it ever comes).

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']At least you guys got the game itself! I did get an email from EA on Tuesday w/ the code for the rings, but no shipping confirmation. I'm getting really annoyed. Even worse, there isn't even a method to contact EA to inquire because the 'contact email' links are all dead links. Very messed up. I'm ready to just go buy the regular edition at the store and sell the CE (if it ever comes).[/QUOTE]

I was able to use that link. My browser said it was missing a security certificate and asked me if I wanted to continue. After I sent an email it told me to add [email protected] and [email protected] to my address book. Try those emails.

[quote name='nateeasy29']I was able to use that link. My browser said it was missing a security certificate and asked me if I wanted to continue. After I sent an email it told me to add [email protected] and [email protected] to my address book. Try those emails.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for that info! I'm going to try it.

[quote name='beerme']Do I need to make an EA account in order to download the free armor/stone dlc?[/QUOTE]
I don't think so. It's treated like any other DLC on the marketplace. The only reason I can see why you would need to make an EA account is if you played the flash game Dragon Age: Journeys and want the items you've unlocked transferred into your game.

I did the quest to get Shale last night, didn't take long.

Will party members use healing items on themselves?

also

I want my Rogue to mostly use the crossbow, but she keeps switching to the dagger...how can I make it so she primarily uses the crossbow? I can't unequip the dagger incase she runs out of bolts.

[quote name='MemphisChill901']Guys, this is an awesome game, but don't EVER go to the circle of the magi. I am stuck there in a quest called "Lost in dreams", which has killed the game for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm on that quest now. What are you stuck at?

[quote name='seanr1221']I did the quest to get Shale last night, didn't take long.

Will party members use healing items on themselves?

also

I want my Rogue to mostly use the crossbow, but she keeps switching to the dagger...how can I make it so she primarily uses the crossbow? I can't unequip the dagger incase she runs out of bolts.[/QUOTE]

Is the rogue your main character or one of your companions? if its the companion go into the tactics and make adjustmenst there.

[quote name='seanr1221']Also, sleeping at Camp is basically just entering the camp, then leaving, correct?[/QUOTE]
Correct.

I had no idea that you could buy backpacks from various vendors and increase the size of your inventory. I learn new shit in this game pretty much every time I boot it up. I started off with an Elf Rogue, but got bored with it after a while. The Human Warrior class is much more fun. I can't wait to try Mage, though I may need to switch it to Easy to ensure no friendly fire :cool:

[quote name='MemphisChill901']Guys, this is an awesome game, but don't EVER go to the circle of the magi. I am stuck there in a quest called "Lost in dreams", which has killed the game for me.[/QUOTE]
You don't have much of a choice in the matter. Sooner or later you will need visit the tower. But I will agree this is probably the worst quests so far.

[quote name='AshesofWake']anybody recommend getting the CE of the startegy guide? its only 20 or so bucks on amazon.[/QUOTE]
I didn't even see that. Maybe I'll pick it up after my first playthrough of the game.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I can't wait to try Mage, though I may need to switch it to Easy to ensure no friendly fire :cool:[/QUOTE]

Killing your allies as a mage isn't really an issue. They make great meat shields. Just make sure to keep a few injury kits handy to use before any boss fights on the poor meat shield(s).

X, you can avoid friendly fire on normal too.

I love my elf mage. I set things up by stunning all the enemies. Then I throw an electrical storm over them. Lastly, I infect them with poison; when the enemy dies, they explode and damage people around them. :cool:

I wonder if I buy this now from Best Buy if they would let me keep the gift card when I return a copy from Kmart after Black Friday.

bread's done
Back