E3 2011: MS edition. Halo 4 and others on the way.

[quote name='joe2187']after watching more footage of MW3 I will not be picking it up, it looks so underwhelming and boring.

BF3 on the other hand is now my FPS of choice![/QUOTE]

Agreed! The engine looks about the same as COD4 which came out in 2007! I've heard it said, "Same game, different skin". :roll:

An interesting show that was kind of all over the place. Kinect is in pretty much everything by just using the most basic of its features, but none of it interests me enough to pay $150. I'd be more interested in that stuff if I was suckered into buying it before, but nothing at this show made me feel like I would be missing out on anything major.

I'm surprised that no new Xbox Live features were shown (apps aren't features), as it was all focused on the new New Xbox Experience for Kinect. The most exciting announcement that they had was for Summer of Arcade before the show even began.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You started it?[/QUOTE]

I commented on the user that made a ridiculous claim that they were thinking of selling their 360 console over this conference. That is the reactionary nature I was referencing.

[quote name='ZForce915']I won't bother continuing to talk to you since you've clearly taken a stance that you don't intend to budge from.[/QUOTE]
Pot meet kettle.

Oh, my fault.

It is a shame Kinect has edged into to some core games now though. It's just an option for some, so it's no big deal -- but Fable. Oh, Fable...

[quote name='Trakan']No Multiplayer, 7 maps as Halo Reach DLC[/QUOTE]

wha..? they announced co-op support and 7 multiplayer maps

Microsoft announced cloud storage for game saves as well as "Beacons", which alerts your friends to what you're about to play or want to play.

You think that they'd announce this stuff during the conference.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Which games exactly would you call hardcore?[/QUOTE]

well atleast some compatablity with core games like Ghost Recon and Mass Effect. I consider those hardcore and not "created for kinect" games like we've seen up to now.

I dont think the harry potter and tennis game from this year did the kinect any favors

[quote name='panzerfaust']Oh, my fault.

It is a shame Kinect has edged into to some core games now though. It's just an option for some, so it's no big deal -- but Fable. Oh, Fable...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Fable does not look good. And you're right that a key point is that a lot of Kinect integration looks like it is all optional so that is good.

[quote name='Scorch']Microsoft announced cloud storage for game saves as well as "Beacons", which alerts your friends to what you're about to play or want to play.

You think that they'd announce this stuff during the conference.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?

[quote name='ZForce915']Wait, what?[/QUOTE]

Yeah

http://kotaku.com/5809076/cloud-storage-for-game-saves-beacons-coming-to-xbox-live

Beacons. We want to make it easy for you to connect with friends over your favorite games on Xbox LIVE, so we are introducing Beacons to the service. Beacons are a way to tell your Xbox LIVE and Facebook friends that you want to play a game on Xbox LIVE. By setting a Beacon, you tell Xbox LIVE what you want to play. Then, Xbox LIVE lets you know when friends are playing or want to play the same game. With Beacons, no matter what you're currently doing on Xbox LIVE your friends know that it's ok to ask you to play your Beaconed games. Imagine sending out a Beacon to let your friends know you're interested in playing "Halo," while watching a movie on Netflix. It's about making it easier for you to share and discover games and multiplayer opportunities with friends on Xbox LIVE.

· Cloud Storage for Game Saves and LIVE Profile. Here at Xbox LIVE we listen to your feedback. We are making it easier for you to sign into your Xbox LIVE account from any console at any time to access your game saves and full profile, including items such as Microsoft Points to make purchases, Achievements and friends. Cloud storage will allow you to enjoy the same great Xbox LIVE gaming experience even when you're not in your own living room by giving you the option to store your "game saves" securely in the Xbox LIVE cloud instead of on a portable memory unit or your console's hard drive. Gone are the days of "gamertag recovery." Now all you need to do is sign in, no matter where you are!

There are two things that saddened me about this conference.

1.) Nothing about PC gaming.
2.) Nothing about Kinect support for PC. Like it or not, Kinect will be a fucking amazing tool for people wanting to mod and hack stuff. Too bad Microsoft would rather have us go through a virtual disneyland then to help support modders/hackers (hackers in the sense of making robots and stuff in that area).

EA Press Conference: Dont Worry guys...we got this.

ME3!!!

NEED FOR SPEED!!!...

"Action outside the car.."

Goddammit

futuramas02e08001kinecweyi.gif

Someone got Mirror's Edge in my Need for Speed and it makes me so happy.

I was a little hesitant, but absolute day 1.

THIS ...this Is exactly what I want in a racing game...

because when Im driving down a street at 190mph I think to myself....this game needs more QTEs.

I know E3 just started, and I know M$ conferences generally suck, but this one takes the cake. Games we already new existed, a bunch of useless Kinect "fluff", a handful of games that are new but I don't know many people that will give a fuck about, and a new Halo that we no nothing about other than it is being made. Sigh. Hopefully more big announcements later in the week.

I was pretty disappointed with this conference. Why no new IP from Lionhead? No talk about RARE at all? No deals with third parties for exclusives? Square-Enix is struggling pretty bad now and I'm pretty sure they would jump at the chance at making an exclusive 360 game if Microsoft handled the publishing. Was a demo of Kinect Sports 2 and Dance Central 2 really necessary? I never played the originals so Im not sure but were those games that different from their predecessors to warrant showing a demo?

I don't care about the kinect stuff(even though I have a kinect) all I wanted was something to get me excited for the rest of the year and Microsoft couldn't deliver. I love Gears of War but showing 5 mins of the single player campaign does nothing for me and Im not sure what Ice-T was talking about when he said he was writing a song for Horde mode. What does that even mean? The Halo 4 announcement was pretty weak as well since we all knew Microsoft would keep making Halo games ever since halo 2 made 128million dollars in one day so no surprise there. Also Halo 4 made by a development studio that has no track record has me more worried than excited.

Oh and nice job Microsoft with getting Mass Effect 3 delayed until next year so Bioware can add some useless kinect features. Your slipping Microsoft, your slipping.

"....such games as Baldurs Gate, Jade Empire, Dragon Age..."
"woo!?"
"Good to see someone liked it"

:lol:

Re: Overstrike, I don't know how we're supposed to get excited over a trailer that doesn't show any gameplay or really even much indication of what kind of game it is. Like, do they think that we're going to get really hyped over the fact that we know the main characters' names?

Also, I'm as interested in Battlefield as the next guy but could they have possibly picked a more boring aspect of the game to demo than a long-range tank battle?

[quote name='panzerfaust']I see Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and XIII-2 as all huge money makers for Square. Should see more though, hopefully.[/QUOTE]

It's because all 3 of those are going to be amazing.

Especially the 3rd one you named.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Re: Overstrike, I don't know how we're supposed to get excited over a trailer that doesn't show any gameplay or really even much indication of what kind of game it is. Like, do they think that we're going to get really hyped over the fact that we know the main characters' names?

Also, I'm as interested in Battlefield as the next guy but could they have possibly picked a more boring aspect of the game to demo than a long-range tank battle?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the most exciting thing of the show so far. Yes I really wish they would have shown some gameplay, but at least its a hardcore game coming from a big proven developer and it looks like a real game...not a kinect game, not another generic FPSer or racing game(yes those are still real games, but they are 90% of the market nowdays...) and not a game with a 3 behind its name. So far its the only thing shown that is at all exciting.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
Also, I'm as interested in Battlefield as the next guy but could they have possibly picked a more boring aspect of the game to demo than a long-range tank battle?[/QUOTE]
Vehicle segments are the highlight of any game

[quote name='whoknows']It's because all 3 of those are going to be amazing.

Especially the 3rd one you named.[/QUOTE]

Contain yourself

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Kinect Sports 2 and Dance Central 2 really necessary? I never played the originals so Im not sure but were those games that different from their predecessors to warrant showing a demo?[/QUOTE]

They are both big deals, so they showed them. I would have been stunned had they not showed them. Dance Central was/is a big success for Kinect and for Harmonix (unlike, say, Rock Band 3), and similarly unlike RB3, DC is exclusive to the Xbox and Kinect. Kinect Sports was also a success and a well reviewed and liked game. The reality is that Kinect is a big deal, whether much of CAG appreciates it or not. At the same time the biggest complaint about Kinect is that there aren't enough games, so yes, it's pretty obvious that they had to showcase Kinect extensively. Actually, I don't think they showed enough. They needed to show that a lot more games are in the pipeline. Mind you, I didn't see the conference, so maybe there was more in there then I've read about.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
It is a shame Kinect has edged into to some core games now though. It's just an option for some, so it's no big deal -- but Fable. Oh, Fable...[/QUOTE]

Why is that a shame though? I don't own a kinect, but the integration for ME3 looked pretty good, and possibly quite useful.

If they use Kinect to aid games in totally logical ways, while making it optional, how is that bad for anyone?

Battlefield definitely had a strong showing and this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of the franchise. I doubt I'll ever play it but if I were a fan I'd probably restrain myself from humping the television afterward.

[quote name='cthomer5000']Why is that a shame though? I don't own a kinect, but the integration for ME3 looked pretty good, and possibly quite useful.

If they use Kinect to aid games in totally logical ways, while making it optional, how is that bad for anyone?[/QUOTE]

Come on man, read what I'm typing.

I said it's "no big deal" unless you're like Fable.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Vehicle segments are the highlight of any game[/QUOTE]

A ten minute tank drive followed by some long range tank fighting and dust clouds is not my idea of fun. It was a shitty demo. I guess it showed off how good the game looks, but that's on a maxed PC, not the 360 which is where I'll be playing it.

[quote name='Trakan']A ten minute tank drive followed by some long range tank fighting and dust clouds is not my idea of fun. It was a shitty demo.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I bet it's going to be cool to actually play. But to watch someone else play it... no.

Three no shows I thought were going to happen. $50 system/$50 Kinect drop. Alan Wake "sequel". Skype integration. Obviously, I thought wrong.

[quote name='willc23']Three no shows I thought were going to happen. $50 system/$50 Kinect drop. Alan Wake "sequel". Skype integration. Obviously, I thought wrong.[/QUOTE]

E3 is not over.

bread's done
Back