EA IS THE DEVIL!!!!! NO MORE ESPN FOOTBALL GAMES !!!

As if I need yet another reason not to ever buy a copy of Madden brand new.

Oh well. EA's playing a dangerous game... all of this is going to come to a head sooner or later, be it unionization of the programmers, shrinking sales due to stagnation, or something... they're setting themselves up to be a big dog, and when you do that, you paint a target on yourself.

On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball.

hell no!!! cmon sega dont let them do it

[quote name='guyver2077']On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball.

hell no!!! cmon sega dont let them do it[/quote]

That would officially be the end of sports games improvements as we know them! The more I think about this, the angrier I get. I hate you EA!

[quote name='muncle']cant they sue? isnt this like a monopoly?[/quote]

No. The NFL can do with their license as they see fit. It wouldn't matter if EA, Sega, or Microsoft had the winning bid. Whether people like it or not won't matter either. Even Madden fans know this isn't good for video game football at all.

burn in hell ea....you will never get my money again...

too bad as i never had a problem with some of their franchises like fight night but the hell with them now. i even was considering getting a sports game for my ds but fuck them now

I am pretty sure that there are players that are not in the NFLPA - I think that LaVar Arrington is not part of it. So next year Sega Football Could be LaVar Arrington Football 2K6

Who says we need need real teams and players? Why doesn't the ESPN series turn into a kind of nfl where they justuse fake characters. They don't even have to make them seem like football players! Let a pimp be on the team, along with hookers. Hell put in hillbillies too.
aww... damn it... we're screwed. WHY EA, WHY???????????? DAMN YOU TO HELL EA!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry:

Sega (or another company) could maybe pull this off if they allow the ability to swap rosters online. They could assign the correct numbers to players on teams, and maybe add a create a logo and create a uniform option. Then someone, who doesn't work for the company, could edit the names to the real players and they would be available to download. Wow, this really sucks if its true, and I agree it could be the downfall of sports games if this were to spread to other games.

Screw EA. All their sports games are rehashes from previous years. There were afraid of Sega putting out superior products, so they just had them wiped out.

Expect EA's quality control to go completely in the toilet now.

[quote name='screwkick']Screw EA. All their sports games are rehashes from previous years. There were afraid of Sega putting out superior products, so they just had them wiped out.

Expect EA's quality control to go completely in the toilet now.[/quote]

Now!?!?!

Anyway, the only positive to come out of this (the *only* positive) was that someone brought up the idea of ESPN XFL 2K6.

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='screwkick']Screw EA. All their sports games are rehashes from previous years. There were afraid of Sega putting out superior products, so they just had them wiped out.

Expect EA's quality control to go completely in the toilet now.[/quote]

Now!?!?!

Anyway, the only positive to come out of this (the *only* positive) was that someone brought up the idea of ESPN XFL 2K6.

myke.[/quote]

xfl? as in wwe xfl????

awesome!!

I didnt buy madden this year and I wont be buying it for the next 5 yrs at least, personally i liked espn's football game better.

i have a couple feelings about this...

first of all, i dont care...sega make far superior games and ill continue to support them, license or not, it dosent effect me, because i dont follow football, i just play the games.

second...it sucks donkey balls for sega...they work fucking hard to out due ea in gameplay and presentation, and then ea pulls this, this will definetly dis-credit the validity of the 2k series in casual gamers eyes...

fuck you ea, i wont be buying your games until they are $5...you cant beat sega on the virtual gridiron, so you lowblow them with contracts?

fuckYOUEAfuckYOU

I don't blame EA for this, I blame the NFL. They make more money than God, yet are willing to screw their fans for even more money. The NFL could have said no, given gamers a choice and still made millions.

It's a little sad how EA is getting so much hate in this thread for making a good business decision. I agree that competition is good for the games, and there might be less innovation, but we won't know until next summer. What's frustrating is that EA went out and paid well for these rights and is taking all the criticism. To be honest, the NFL is more at fault than anyone for taking the money.

[quote name='damack'][quote name='dafoomie']Yeah, that great Madden, where you can make perfect throws while running backwards. Yeah, that great Madden, where the AI cheats and DB's glide when they're out of position. Yeah, that great Madden, with the formation shift bug that can drain all of a defense's energy before the ball is snapped. They both have their flaws.[/quote]

Owned.[/quote]

Actually the only people getting owned in this are Sega and the people who like their games.

EA gets almost a monopoly and the NFL gets cash.

Why are people spouting fanboy nonsense here. This is about whether you get a hard-on for Madden or not. We gamers are the ones who lose here. Even if we like ea (which i do) we can't let them do this. I'm officially swearing off Tiger Woods, NFL Street, SSX, Sims, and other games I buy that I can't remember.

[quote name='cyberlian']sega didn't auctualy produce the espn games this year, it was take-two interactive, the parent company of rockstar games.[/quote]

Sega did make the ESPN games, they just made a deal with Take-Two to co-publish and market the games.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='muncle']cant they sue? isnt this like a monopoly?[/quote]

No, it's not a monopoly to own a license.[/quote]

Think of it kinda like EA owning the LOTR, Bond or (snicker) catwoman liscense. They paid money, they can use the name....and than again, so can half-a-dozen other companies putting out different product.

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='muncle']cant they sue? isnt this like a monopoly?[/quote]

No, it's not a monopoly to own a license.[/quote]

Think of it kinda like EA owning the LOTR, Bond or (snicker) catwoman liscense. They paid money, they can use the name....and than again, so can half-a-dozen other companies putting out different product.[/quote]

Yeah, EA has the movie license so they can't do anything concerning the books or the Hobbit. What it was before was that Sega and EA and whoever else just paid the NFL to use the names and teams and such.

Madden=complete crap. I hate Madden with a passion, it's one of the worst A.I.'s ever, and they games cheat to beat you, plain and simple.

I am so fucking sick of listening to all this fanboy shit. As a gamer, I want to play something fun. I'll never stop playing my Fight Night game, or Freedom Fighters. Even if Madden does fall apart in quality, I'll always love Madden 2005. Some of you people seriously need a life.

Sports, another thing that is broken in American society.

People don't realize this, but the outrageous player salaries are subsidized by tax dollars in the form of "special deals" on the building and taxation of stadiums given by cities to the major sports franchises.

This EA debacle is just another example of capitalism gone awry in sports (given that the NFL has a virtual monopoly in football). Sad thing is, people will pay more for these games and the shady tactics will be rewarded.

Bah! I'm off to see some MLS.

[quote name='bil4l']Madden=complete crap. I hate Madden with a passion, it's one of the worst A.I.'s ever, and they games cheat to beat you, plain and simple.[/quote]

That's pretty much true with most AI, at certain difficulties, they just become more powerful than you. There's not really many games where the AI truthfully gives you a challenge.

[quote name='manofpeace20']I am so shaq-fuing sick of listening to all this fanboy shit. As a gamer, I want to play something fun. I'll never stop playing my Fight Night game, or Freedom Fighters. Even if Madden does fall apart in quality, I'll always love Madden 2005. Some of you people seriously need a life.[/quote]

I'm surprised that I agree with you, but I agree.

EA has offically become the New York Yankees of video games... if anyone starts to nip at their heels, they kick the legs out from under them by buying up whatever they can.

I think I may have a great idea!

Okay, while I was waiting for my wife to get done shopping at Target, I think I had an epiphany.

Sega has a license with the NFL for the 2004 season, right? Well, what if Sega just continued to update ESPN NFL 2k5 for the next five years?

I doubt the NFL can make Sega close down its servers for a game they've already sold and are now supporting.

Sega could then make some easy roster moves that would not necessarily name a new player on a team, but they'd let you easily change his name yourself, and they would make their attributes consistent to what they are in real life.

Sega could also update and improve the gameplay, add in new features and other content. The catch here is that with every new update which could happen every three or four months, they could charge $10 or whatever they feel is reasonable.

Basically, Sega would just continue to update NFL 2k5 and make it so where you can easily have an updated roster and it would compete with Madden in every way.

Because they would just be updating an older game, I wouldn't think they'd be infringing on any license deal with the NFL because they wouldn't be updating it with any NFL-owned content.

Anyway, that is basically my idea. What do you guys think?

It keeps going and going and going. :cry:

From a business standpoint it makes sense, but it's a monopoly plain and simple. EA is in it for the money and they know games can be milked for all it's worth (Sims anyone). In the end the gamers lose. The creativity and the competition is taken away from the games. I can see Madden improving more over the years, but will it be the same amount of effort if they had someone pushing them there?

EA is taking games out of the gamers hands. It's all about money. Look at Westwood and other companies that EA took over. The games are starting to be the same over and over again.

EA does not have the balls to put out a truely original game. Or one that might find a niche in the market, but does not make the amount of money they want. Motor City Online died for that reason. Did not make alot of money, but had the potential to be something pretty good. Another is Earth & Beyond. This was a very niche title, but it had a very loyal following. It just did not make the money because EA would not back it when they bought Westwood.

Ok, I'll stop ranting. It's just every time something good comes along, EA takes it and destroys it. Yes they may score here and there with titles, but is it enough for our passion of games? You just hate to see big business kill it for us gamers.

wow grave thats great. How bout madden and espn team up. Now that would be cool. Like take both teams make one good team out of them combine ideads and then we wouldn't need to games cause the one would rule. Gameplay of madden with the presentation of espn??? But Ilike your idea too.

I do have ESPN 2k5. I like it very much, but I mostly play NCAA 2005. Just did not have the urge to pay $50 for another football game. Both of the pro games are very solid and comes down to which you like best.

Well you might as well throw that out the door now. I could be wrong, but this deal is not a good sign.

Remember when the gaming industry generated less revenue? When it was less of an entertainment industry, and considered more in the "toy" industry?

Damn those were good times... good times indeed...

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']wow grave thats great. How bout madden and espn team up. Now that would be cool. Like take both teams make one good team out of them combine ideads and then we wouldn't need to games cause the one would rule. Gameplay of madden with the presentation of espn??? But Ilike your idea too.[/quote]

EA is buying up everyone else. Sega could be next! :roll:

Seriously, Grave's idea is not to bad. Would be the same game, but with the roster updates.

Your idea would be cool to Mr hockey. I just do not see that ever happening.

[quote name='Dogpatch'][quote name='Mr_hockey66']wow grave thats great. How bout madden and espn team up. Now that would be cool. Like take both teams make one good team out of them combine ideads and then we wouldn't need to games cause the one would rule. Gameplay of madden with the presentation of espn??? But Ilike your idea too.[/quote]

EA is buying up everyone else. Sega could be next! :roll:

Seriously, Grave's idea is not to bad. Would be the same game, but with the roster updates.

Your idea would be cool to Mr hockey. I just do not see that ever happening.[/quote]

Though Sega was already bought up, by Sammy.

I know. but hey it would solve a lot of problems. And it would be a kick ass game. See I really need to be making games! Its called espn madden style 2k5!

[quote name='guyver2077']i dont think sega would make any money with that roster idea.....

i think they just gotta come in and woop ea's ass with ncaa[/quote]

:lol: Sega gave up on NCAA because they couldn't make a good game.

i'm pretty sure someone has posted this. but EA plans to sell madden 2006 at 69.99 and charge online for gaming. they also plan maybe charging 1.99 for dowloading roster updates. i'm pretty sure some of you guys on here recieved a questioner from ea recently. and YES, one of the question was "IF EA HAD THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO THE NFL GAMES...ETC" WOULD you STILL BUY THE PRODUCT AT 69.99. SUCKS MAJOR ASS BUT THEY PUT OUT THAT SURVEY

[quote name='guyver2077']i dont think sega would make any money with that roster idea.....

i think they just gotta come in and woop ea's ass with ncaa[/quote]

The thing is is that it wouldn't just be just a roster update. They could make new features, make the gameplay better and all kinds of other stuff. When they'd have a new download ready, you would log into the download section via Xbox Live and download a rather large update.

When you did this, you would pay Sega $5 to $10 depending on the size and quality of the update.

They could have four updates a year and charge $5 a piece for them and you'd still be paying $20 for next year's updated copy of ESPN NFL 2k5.

Microsoft would just step in and say well now to use this years x-box live espn has shell out this much money and ms would put them down too. DAMN IT!

bread's done
Back