ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gepet0']Awesome totally awesome. Quick question. I bought demon souls today and I preordered modern warfare prestege edition. Is there a way to apply the discount? TIA[/QUOTE]

My post may have been deleted, but I emailed amazon told them I am an eca member and they applied the 10% my order.

What's interesting is everyone is complaining about the lack of codes and you really don't even need one to reap the same benefits. YMMV of course.

[quote name='guinaevere']This thread is about getting a FREE one year subscription to ECA. There are benefits to being a member, and those benefits may change at any time.

If there are further complaints in here about the ECA and what you do or do not get with your FREE membership, or you feel the need to reply (instead of reporting the derailing posts) to anyone who complains and yours were one or more of the massive amount of posts I just deleted, I'm going to silence or ban you.

Also, this thread is NOT about Amazon. If you wish to discuss Amazon, create a thread in the Shopping Discussion/ Bragging rights Forum.[/QUOTE]

how do you know who paid and who didn't?

[quote name='asthmatic']how do you know who paid and who didn't?[/QUOTE]

exactly, noone knows now. I paid. But I could be lying. Or course I bought things before it became free. But noone is going to demand we show an order with a purchase date before the free madness. Who cares anymore. I've resorted to not buying off of amazon. Search around, amazon is not always the best deal. I bought demons souls off half.com for $40 a few days ago.

[quote name='theloserboy']Just thought I'd point that out. Sorry, but there really wasn't a way to show that without looking like a total dick.[/QUOTE]

You're missing my point. I did see those, but they're not what I'm looking for. I don't want a newsletter or a website filled with gaming industry news -- there are plenty of those out there already, for which I don't have to pay a yearly membership fee. I don't want reports on rival Chinese agencies, Chilean universities, or impulse buying in Canada (to take a few stories from the tops of those sites). I certainly don't need a game job (I know people in the gaming industry -- it's not that glamorous or well-paying). What I want is to know what the ECA has done and what it is doing. Maybe that's scattered in there somewhere, but if it is, it's lost in the signal-to-noise ratio.

Or, let me put it another way -- the ECA is the only organization like this that I've ever had any involvement with (from being a member, to donating money, to filling out a web petition) that just goes radio silent on its membership as soon as it has collected its fees unless those members actively seek it out further. That forces the member to be proactive and do "research" in order to be involved or, indeed, to even find out anything. Every single other organization that I've ever done anything for, whether it has been to donate money and be an active member or to have simply filled out one petition once for an issue that struck me as being particularly important at the time, sends me regular email updates without me having to ask (and only stops if I ask them to) regarding their specific work. I don't have to dig through their sites to find where I can sign up for a newsletter that seems in most cases to be only tangentially related to the organization itself.

The ECA seems to have this weird relationship with its membership -- it seems to really only want those members who are passionate enough about the issues to be active on the forums, yet it tries to get people who aren't to join anyway. While it makes the benefits the most compelling reason for most people to join (and sells itself on those benefits), it seems to take a derogatory view toward the members who are only there for the benefits. And yet it does nothing to attempt to draw those members in further and make them interested. It just collects their money (or not, in the case of the free members) and adds their names to its roster, and then seemingly forgets about them. To what end?

Really, the ECA would do well to study other effective organizations -- again, I'll give MoveOn or the NRDC as examples, though there are plenty of others -- and see how they go about organizing, motivating, and keeping the interest of their membership. It should learn from them how to engage its members, and draw them into its cause. Then more people would stop treating it as a one-stop Amazon discount and start treating it as an actual organization. As it is, they're getting as much out of those members as they put into them, and nothing more. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

I'd say that the gaming population as a majority is not one to care too much about games other than playing them, and maybe giving Jack Thompson the middle finger once in awhile. Whether someone gets your point or not it's moot here, get active on their forums.

[quote name='sabanoo']Isn't this thread about a bit more than just getting a free membership? [/QUOTE]No. This is in the Video Game Deals thread. This thread should be about getting in on the Free ECA membership. Normally, we don't mind some off-topic discussion about the pros/cons of a game, console or store when it's on or having a sale. That helps the community to make an informed decision.

But this is the SECOND thread about the Free ECA membership, the first of which was closed down because of code begging, whining and rantings.

I'm not talking about the amazon codes, benefits up/down, etc. but there IS more to the ECA than just getting a free membership...
Absolutely, but again, this is the SECOND thread and a small number of you are unable to get past your own petty grievances against this PAC, and these select few continue to drag this thread so far into the mire it's pathetic. If any of you have true problems with the ECA and wish to discuss it, create a thread about them in the proper location, and discuss it there (General Gaming Forum or Shopping Discussion).

[quote name='backseatdog']yikes i wonder how many people he/she banned because of this. Oh well i guess something has to be done with the redundancy of complaints.[/QUOTE]
How many? None. One is very close to going though, if he continues to derail this thread.

My objective was to get the attention of the posters who have continually dragged this topic to a discussion that suited their personal little vendettas. This is the Video Games Deals Forum and it is not and will not be used for such purposes.

[quote name='JCDenton']What's the matter? Are you too big of a pussy to handle an honest debate so you need to ban people who disagree with you?
[/QUOTE]Honest debate? About what? I don't know the first thing about the ECA, and frankly I don't care.

[quote name='unclenebber']I'm all for banning people, just not threatening people in a very immature condescending way. Most who are reading these threads aren't causing problems.[/QUOTE]
I threatened only those who were causing continual problems and who insist upon using CAGs Deals forum as their soapbox for their spiteful little rampage.

[quote name='52club']That being said, isn't it forum activity a good thing?[/QUOTE]Not when it is the SECOND thread (because the first one was too much of a disaster) and it turns into page after page after page of garbage back and forth bickering which had nothing to do with the free membership. This is one screenshot of what this thread looks like to me now. There are over fifty posts which I had to delete last night, this is only a handful.
11376029.gif
[quote name='asthmatic']how do you know who paid and who didn't?[/QUOTE]Who paid and who didn't has nothing to do with this thread. Read the title and the name of the forum it is in.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT GETTING A FREE ECA MEMBERSHIP; IT IS IN THE VIDEO GAME DEALS FORUM.

If you want to discuss the ECA, by all means, let loose, but NOT in the video game deals forum. Take it to General Gaming or Shopping Discussions. How is that so hard a concept to grasp?

[quote name='sabanoo']So um...how's that on topic discussion? I actually thought it was nice to see a reply from Gypsyfly in here about the ECA stuff... Didn't it contain something about the PAX discount disappearing? I was kind of interested in that but since EVERYTHING was deleted in one fell swoop...:cry:[/QUOTE]
Her post is still here. I only edited out the personal bickering, anything she posted which was informative, remained.

It's funny how a bit of words typed on teh interwebs can make mods go insane lol.
I'm still trying to get this ECA thing down. I dont know if I want it or not because there are alot of upset people. Guess I'll just run with the other deals then.

Quick question, I got a $5 game credit for preordering Uncharted 2 and now I want to apply that to another game preorder that already has the ECA discount applied. If I canceled this order and reordered so I got my $5 will my ECA discount still stay or will I lose it? I'm concerned since the Amazon codes still aren't back up on ECA and I'd risk losing out completely on games that are coming out not too far out.

Edit: Actually, my Gran Turismo preorder got delayed so I just tried it out on that and... you do lose the ECA discount. I lost a $5.70 coupon to try and apply a $5 one. =(

I've gotten so much value out of the ECA that I feel like my $20 was well spent.

As for what they do for the gaming community, I am willing to give it time.

However, they absolutely messed up on the GIMAG code and they've just been ducking the issue. At first, this gypsyfly woman said that it was only 3 months. She had no idea there was a one year membership code out there. (evidence that they might be a rinky dink operation... good companies/orgs don't have a marketing program that someone on the frontlines (sales/pr) don't know about. Since gypsyfly seems to be the voice of the eca on the message boards, I'll consider her PR.) Then when she found out, it was just dodging and evading.

Their marketing dept completely f'ed up with the GIMAG code and instead of shutting it down, they spun some weak sauce about how more members help the association. This is a crock because the new members accomplished only one thing: getting amazon discounts removed because of stacking, whether directly or indirectly.

Oh well, life goes on.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Quick question, I got a $5 game credit for preordering Uncharted 2 and now I want to apply that to another game preorder that already has the ECA discount applied. If I canceled this order and reordered so I got my $5 will my ECA discount still stay or will I lose it? I'm concerned since the Amazon codes still aren't back up on ECA and I'd risk losing out completely on games that are coming out not too far out.

Edit: Actually, my Gran Turismo preorder got delayed so I just tried it out on that and... you do lose the ECA discount. I lost a $5.70 coupon to try and apply a $5 one. =([/QUOTE]

If anything, Grand Turismo doesn't come out for a while (next year sometime I believe). So as long as the ECA codes come back up by then, you'll be able to apply that $5 off code as well as the ECA code to the same order when the time comes.

[quote name='confoosious']I've gotten so much value out of the ECA that I feel like my $20 was well spent.

However, they absolutely messed up on the GIMAG code and they've just been ducking the issue. At first, this gypsyfly woman said that it was only 3 months. She had no idea there was a one year membership code out there. (evidence that they might be a rinky dink operation... good companies/orgs don't have a marketing program that someone on the frontlines (sales/pr) don't know about. Since gypsyfly seems to be the voice of the eca on the message boards, I'll consider her PR.) Then when she found out, it was just dodging and evading.

Their marketing dept completely f'ed up with the GIMAG code and instead of shutting it down, they spun some weak sauce about how more members help the association. This is a crock because the new members accomplished only one thing: getting amazon discounts removed because of stacking, whether directly or indirectly.

But like you, I've more than made up my $15 (.edu discount) but I'll definitely miss the 10% discount when it's gone.

Oh well, life goes on.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it was a very bad move to just give out a full 1 year membership without any sort of restrictions. I understand that they try to promote games in a good way but most ECA members join simply for the discounts.

Amazon is probably getting sick of having to deal with all the ECA related issues as people are likely complaining to Amazon about the issue (as that's who ECA keeps blaming). I wouldn't be surprised if this is completely over.

I've more than made up my $15 (.edu price) but I'll definitely miss this service when it's gone.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']If anything, Grand Turismo doesn't come out for a while (next year sometime I believe). So as long as the ECA codes come back up by then, you'll be able to apply that $5 off code as well as the ECA code to the same order when the time comes.[/QUOTE]
I was just using GT5 to test since it was so far out and for that reason, I really wanted to to use it on Forza 3, MW2, Assasin's Creed II or L4D2. All of which come out much sooner. I guess I'll just email customer service and see if they'll apply it. FYI the Amazon preorder credits all expire on Dec 31st I believe.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']I was just using GT5 to test since it was so far out and for that reason, I really wanted to to use it on Forza 3, MW2, Assasin's Creed II or L4D2. All of which come out much sooner. I guess I'll just email customer service and see if they'll apply it. FYI the Amazon preorder credits all expire on Dec 31st I believe.[/QUOTE]

actually whether or not the code stays is dependant on which batch of codes it was from... and in all honesty I can't remember which one is still working but I'm thinking it's the L batch...

I'm trying to register but there's no sign of the validation e-mail. I clicked on the re-send link a couple of times but still nothing... It's been several hours now. Is this normal?

[quote name='Vortextk']Whether someone gets your point or not it's moot here, get active on their forums.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep this short and sweet because I have no idea whether guinaevere's comments about "derailing" the thread were directed at me or not (the fact that my posts are still here and i haven't gotten a PM says "no", the fact that we were told to take ECA discussion to another forum says "maybe yes"? I mean this with all due respect, mods, but being vague isn't doing anyone any favors). Regardless, I've said what I have to say and I'll drop it after this, if anyone really wants to discuss it further feel free to PM me.

Anyway, Vortextk, I did try to take it to their forums. I posted my concerns in what I felt was a very polite and constructive manner, and got an extremely derisive response -- calling me a "frontpage tard who can never hope to assimilate into our community" (this despite the fact that I had specifically noted that I had looked through the entire site and hadn't found satisfactory answers to my questions). Honestly, if that's the attitude, I don't want to be a part of their "community" -- I'll take my Amazon discount and go, thanks. But then they shouldn't expect me to ever look at their organization as anything more than that discount.

[quote name='confoosious']As for what they do for the gaming community, I am willing to give it time.[/QUOTE]

According to their site, they've been around since 2006. How much time do they need?

[quote name='guinaevere']
Not when it is the SECOND thread (because the first one was too much of a disaster) and it turns into page after page after page of garbage back and forth bickering which had nothing to do with the free membership. This is one screenshot of what this thread looks like to me now. There are over fifty posts which I had to delete last night, this is only a handful. [[/QUOTE]

No, you did not HAVE to delete any posts. You chose to delete posts because you take pleasure in the fleeting sense of power being a forum moderator provides. This may surprise you, but the world will not end if people bicker in this thread. Nobody forces you to read it, so if differing opinions make you so emotional then perhaps you should kindly leave. Everything anyone would need to read is in the first post of this thread, so the only reason to look any further is because you want to. You could leave this thread right now if you wanted to and nobody would care. Your presence here is neither useful nor necessary.

This is the only thread I've seen where a scammy merchant has been propped up by moderators. Normally when a deal is offered, discussion of the merchant's merits is fair game. The ECA could silence all criticism if it would just tell us what it does. I certainly hope its funds aren't being used in a way that violate the 501(c)(4) requirements and would cause it to lose its tax exempt status. Given the lack of transparency, there's no way for us to know what is going on. Hopefully the ECA will open its books to us so we can see that the funds go to legitimate purposes. I would be disappointed if most of the funds are used for "administrative expenses." If they don't open the books, perhaps a certain someone here who is a tax lawyer could contact the IRS and have them look into it. The IRS does not take kindly to abuse of non-profit entity status.

[quote name='arcane93']But then they shouldn't expect me to ever look at their organization as anything more than that discount.[/QUOTE]
It's because they aren't.

[quote name='confoosious']I've gotten so much value out of the ECA that I feel like my $20 was well spent.

Oh well, life goes on.[/QUOTE]

Careful saying something like this. I said something very similar, not getting involved in the bickering and name calling, but calmly and respectfully stating why giving out free memberships was a mistake. And my post got deleted. I guess I understand it within the "context" of why this thread exists (for only the purpose of informing people that "you can get a free membership to the ECA"), but I still think it's disrespectful to the people who gave their money and actually supported the organization.

I know guin needed to clean the thread up because a few people were definitely out of line. But I do think some of the opinions were still valid. HOWEVER, this is the deal thread. So, if it's not within the context of the deal, you shouldn't talk about it.

[quote name='JCDenton']No, you did not HAVE to delete any posts. You chose to delete posts because you take pleasure in the fleeting sense of power being a forum moderator provides. This may surprise you, but the world will not end if people bicker in this thread. Nobody forces you to read it, so if differing opinions make you so emotional then perhaps you should kindly leave. Everything anyone would need to read is in the first post of this thread, so the only reason to look any further is because you want to. You could leave this thread right now if you wanted to and nobody would care. Your presence here is neither useful nor necessary.

This is the only thread I've seen where a scammy merchant has been propped up by moderators. Normally when a deal is offered, discussion of the merchant's merits is fair game. The ECA could silence all criticism if it would just tell us what it does. I certainly hope its funds aren't being used in a way that violate the 501(c)(4) requirements and would cause it to lose its tax exempt status. Given the lack of transparency, there's no way for us to know what is going on. Hopefully the ECA will open its books to us so we can see that the funds go to legitimate purposes. I would be disappointed if most of the funds are used for "administrative expenses." If they don't open the books, perhaps a certain someone here who is a tax lawyer could contact the IRS and have them look into it. The IRS does not take kindly to abuse of non-profit entity status.[/QUOTE]

Please, shut up. If you're the "certain someone" who is a tax lawyer, you should be completely ashamed of yourself. You're arguing on a message board and calling people names, which is generally the last resort of a 9 year-old. Then again, hopefully, if you keep this up, you'll get the boot you deserve.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Careful saying something like this.[/QUOTE]
Just don't badmouth Halo. Apparently having to use your brain to formulate an opinion gets you a temp ban!

[quote name='guinaevere']No. This is in the Video Game Deals thread. This thread should be about getting in on the Free ECA membership. Normally, we don't mind some off-topic discussion about the pros/cons of a game, console or store when it's on or having a sale. That helps the community to make an informed decision.

But this is the SECOND thread about the Free ECA membership, the first of which was closed down because of code begging, whining and rantings.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I guess I understand it within the "context" of why this thread exists (for only the purpose of informing people that "you can get a free membership to the ECA"), but I still think it's disrespectful to the people who gave their money and actually supported the organization.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that there are multiple mods here, and the left hand doesn't entirely know what the right hand is doing. I think that the big disconnect here is that there were two (long-running) threads, one about the free ECA membership and one about the Amazon discount, which were combined into a single thread when the free membership one devolved into mostly Amazon discussion. And then that thread was shut down, and this one created . . . and now suddenly, this thread is only about the free ECA membership?

I can completely understand wanting to have a thread that's only about the free membership (although really, once you've announced that it exists, what else is there to say?), but if that's what you want, don't combine in other threads and shut down the discussion elsewhere. Personally, I couldn't care less about the free membership (I already paid for my membership, so it's too late for that now for me), I came in on the Amazon discount discussion thread. We were told previously that discussion of the Amazon discount was on topic for this thread. If it's suddenly not anymore, then a separate thread needs to be created again.

[quote name='arcane93']I can completely understand wanting to have a thread that's only about the free membership, but if that's what you want, don't combine in other threads and shut down the discussion elsewhere. Personally, I couldn't care less about the free membership (I already paid for my membership, so it's too late for that now for me), I came in on the Amazon discount discussion thread. We were told previously that discussion of the Amazon discount was on topic for this thread. If it's suddenly not anymore, then a separate thread needs to be created again.[/QUOTE]
Okay, that definitely is something I need to look further into. Thanks.

edit: Discussing the Amazon codes/discounts is fine so long as it doesn't degenerate into rants and whines hating ECA or Amazon for giving or not giving a discount code. I'll go through and undelete any and all Amazon code related posts which did not derail this thread.

Thanks again for the insight, arcane!

AGAIN, if you wish to air a grievance about a website or store, that belongs either in Shopping Discussion or rarely in General Gaming, depending on the specifics.

[quote name='guinaevere']No. This is in the Video Game Deals thread. This thread should be about getting in on the Free ECA membership. Normally, we don't mind some off-topic discussion about the pros/cons of a game, console or store when it's on or having a sale. That helps the community to make an informed decision.

But this is the SECOND thread about the Free ECA membership, the first of which was closed down because of code begging, whining and rantings.[/QUOTE]

I do believe you're quite wrong. This thread is a not JUST about getting in on the free membership. This thread is a combination of two previous threads and ONE of those previous threads was about the free membership. If you wanted to have a thread just about the free membership they shouldn't have been combined.

If this thread is going to be hijacked by crazy mods who want to change it into a thread for only talking about getting a free membership then the title and OP need to be changed to reflect that.

The OP clearly contains more information that just how to get the free membership...It seems like you're missing the point of this thread and just using a blanket policy to quell all discussion about anything other than the free memberships.

This is a thread about the ECA, the free AND paid membership opportunities, AND the deals provided by those memberships. If you wanted to cut back on bitching and whining that's what I'd say a mod is for and I'd agree wholeheartedly but what you're trying to do is arbitrarily change the thread for no apparent reason.

I suppose that since this thread is for only talking about getting a free membership we should see a bunch of other threads pop up about how you can get a deal at buy.com by signing up at the ECA and then grabbing the coupon or something similar? I was under the impression that this thread was to condense the ECA deal related stuff into one thread and not just take away all discussion pertaining to ECA deals.

EDIT: Also guinaevere that is not the response by Gypsyfly that I was talking about. I believe she made another reply after that but someone else already answered my question regarding that reply.

[quote name='sabanoo']I do believe you're quite wrong. This thread is a not JUST about getting in on the free membership. This thread is a combination of two previous threads and ONE of those previous threads was about the free membership. If you wanted to have a thread just about the free membership they shouldn't have been combined.[/QUOTE]Arcane just pointed that out and I've been busy just now undeleting posts because of that point. I was not aware of the two threads having been combined into one; that was definitely my oversight and that's what I was just correcting.

If this thread is going to be hijacked by crazy mods who want to change it into a thread for only talking about getting a free membership then the title and OP need to be changed to reflect that.
"ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Down, read OP" That's the title, and it's a very good synopsis of what belongs in here. Discussion on how to get the free ECA membership. It also alludes to the benefits which can be discussed in here.

I never said benefits couldn't be discussed. But the never-ending posts about if it was the ECA or Amazon who screwed up, and why people hated the ECA or Amazon for the Amazon discount being down had to stop. That was doing nothing but derail the threads.

But I did reword the notice to clarify that the benefits may be discussed.
This is a thread about the ECA, the free AND paid membership opportunities, AND the deals provided by those memberships. If you wanted to cut back on bitching and whining that's what I'd say a mod is for and I'd agree wholeheartedly but what you're trying to do is arbitrarily change the thread for no apparent reason.
I wasn't attempting to change it arbitrarily, I was under a misunderstanding, coupled with a frustration at the continued trolling and derailing by a small number of CAGs. The discussion of the ECA benefits is fine; trolling and whining over the changing benefits is not.

EDIT: Also guinaevere that is not the response by Gypsyfly that I was talking about. I believe she made another reply after that but someone else already answered my question regarding that reply.
I noticed that as I was going though and undeleting the appropriate posts. I undeleted the one you're referring to.

[quote name='guinaevere']Arcane just pointed that out and I've been busy just now undeleting posts because of that point. I was not aware of the two threads having been combined into one; that was definitely my oversight and that's what I was just correcting.

"ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Down, read OP" That's the title, and it's a very good synopsis of what belongs in here. Discussion on how to get the free ECA membership. It also alludes to the benefits which can be discussed in here.

I never said benefits couldn't be discussed. But the never-ending posts about if it was the ECA or Amazon who screwed up, and why people hated the ECA or Amazon for the Amazon discount being down had to stop. That was doing nothing but derail the threads.

But I did reword the notice to clarify that the benefits may be discussed.
I wasn't attempting to change it arbitrarily, I was under a misunderstanding, coupled with a frustration at the continued trolling and derailing by a small number of CAGs. The discussion of the ECA benefits is fine; trolling and whining over the changing benefits is not.

I noticed that as I was going though and undeleting the appropriate posts. I undeleted the one you're referring to.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. I'm glad we're all on the same page now (more or less).

[quote name='jumbo11']I'm trying to register but there's no sign of the validation e-mail. I clicked on the re-send link a couple of times but still nothing... It's been several hours now. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]
No. I registered this morning and got the validation e-mail immediately.

[quote name='jumbo11']I'm trying to register but there's no sign of the validation e-mail. I clicked on the re-send link a couple of times but still nothing... It's been several hours now. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]
Yes their emails are not coded correctly and you will not be able to get the email depending on your provider. Try another email address you may have. I could not get my email until I did that. You need to change your email on their site and also click to resend confirmation email to you.

I know a couple of people said they had success convincing amazon to give them a 10% discount or something to that effect, was wondering if anybody else had that success,and if so, did they do it by phone or what?

I just emailed amazon about the ECA code and if it could be applied to my by 2 get 1 free order. I will report back with success or failure. I don't think there's any harm in trying. Everything I've read seems to indicate that email may give more success then a phone call (to India).

Well, I for one am all for the ECA. If they give gamer's a voice I'm all for it. May death come swiftly to their enemies...

I also like freebies :)

[quote name='VashandWolfwood']I know a couple of people said they had success convincing amazon to give them a 10% discount or something to that effect, was wondering if anybody else had that success,and if so, did they do it by phone or what?[/QUOTE]

I did it via email.

went to their help page, click Contact Us. In express tab. find the order, click Email. Wrote something that mention being a member of ECA and that the code can't be generated currently and would like to have my discount appy to this order.

It showed up as refund towards the bottom of the page since my order is in shipping process. I guess other whose order hasn't move to that point just had their price adjusted.

[quote name='Vortextk']....It's free and you're not going to get it?[/QUOTE]well whats the 14.99 deal for then? and when do they come available "for free" be more specific instead of dot dot dot-ing :roll:

[quote name='e Skrilla']It's funny how a bit of words typed on teh interwebs can make mods go insane lol.
I'm still trying to get this ECA thing down. I dont know if I want it or not because there are alot of upset people. Guess I'll just run with the other deals then.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vortextk']....It's free and you're not going to get it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='e Skrilla']well whats the 14.99 deal for then? and when do they come available "for free" be more specific instead of dot dot dot-ing :roll:[/QUOTE]

Check the OP. Membership to the ECA is currently free by using promo code "GIMAG."

I emailed Amazon about the ECA discount and got this:

I'm sorry to hear that the promotional code you wanted to apply to your order isn't working properly. Unfortunately, without knowing the exact details of the promotion, we are unable to investigate the problem further.

Therefore, please use the link at the end of this message to write back with specific details of the problems you encountered and any specific details of the promotion you were attempting to use. Some details we would like to have are:
- The promotional claim code for the offer provided by ECA
Once we've received this information, we will investigate the situation and contact you back with further information.

I'm guessing this person just doesn't know about the ECA? Wonder if I should just try again.

[quote name='e Skrilla']well whats the 14.99 deal for then? and when do they come available "for free" be more specific instead of dot dot dot-ing :roll:[/QUOTE]

Really? REALLY? Read.The.Original.Post.

if we signed up with our credit card? can we change the credit card details?

on the other hand, how do we cancel the free subscription? or will they auto-charge the credit card after the 'free' year is out?

[quote name='basis']if we signed up with our credit card? can we change the credit card details?

on the other hand, how do we cancel the free subscription? or will they auto-charge the credit card after the 'free' year is out?[/QUOTE]

Don't know the exact answer to this, but I do know what I did when I signed up. Many credit card companies allow you to create a virtual CC number to use online. You can choose how long it is good for, so I just put a month. Thus, the number won't be any good to them if they try to charge it down the road.

[quote name='basis']if we signed up with our credit card? can we change the credit card details?

on the other hand, how do we cancel the free subscription? or will they auto-charge the credit card after the 'free' year is out?[/QUOTE]
I used a amex giftcard you can buy at stores, but you can also check to not auto-renew once you sign up.

I figured that when you click a thread that says "ECA Membership - Currently Free" with details in the op highlighted and bolded, I wouldn't have to spell it out. Didn't mean to be sarcastic, at first, I kinda figured you already knew it was free and that's why I didn't understand your hesitance.

[quote name='Vortextk']I figured that when you click a thread that says "ECA Membership - Currently Free" with details in the op highlighted and bolded, I wouldn't have to spell it out. Didn't mean to be sarcastic, at first, I kinda figured you already knew it was free and that's why I didn't understand your hesitance.[/QUOTE]
Kinda stupid when You see "Currently Free" for a title of a thread and when you go into it you see "students & military 14.99 others 19.99" Kinda left me confused even if a big ass code was sitting in my face.....now can we move on and get off me. My question was answered by other non sarcastic users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back