Fallout: New Vegas - Gen. Discussion & Info

After further research online the corrupt save issue I am having is a relatively wide spread problem with the game. I've got a few saves I can load that around level 7 and bellow, but after I complete several quests and shut off the game and come back latter to load my save I continue to either get a frozen loading screen or the more common corrupt game with the DLC error.

It sucks because I have sank more hours into repeating quests than I have actually making any real progress. If this isn't fixed by Monday I will be returning this for sure, which is a shame because when it works I love the game.

Well I was waiting until after the first patch to get the game because I know I'll be playing it as soon as I get it and don't want to have problems, but at this point it sounds like I'll be waiting until the 2nd patch.

Corrupt saves? Ouch, that's inexcusable on every level.

[quote name='whizzups']Thankfully I finished my 1st playthrough 20 minutes before the patch dropped this morning. All of these horror stories have me nervous to start my second playthrough until the next patch is released.[/QUOTE]
You finished it already? Cheese and crackers, dude! What'd you do, just go straight for the main quest? How many hours?

I'm around level 11, 20 hours, doing side quests around the wasteland, exploring, and haven't even gone near the Vegas strip yet.

[quote name='Sigma']After further research online the corrupt save issue I am having is a relatively wide spread problem with the game. I've got a few saves I can load that around level 7 and bellow, but after I complete several quests and shut off the game and come back latter to load my save I continue to either get a frozen loading screen or the more common corrupt game with the DLC error.

It sucks because I have sank more hours into repeating quests than I have actually making any real progress. If this isn't fixed by Monday I will be returning this for sure, which is a shame because when it works I love the game.[/QUOTE]

Did you try doing what I suggested? Go to settings > memory, click clear the cache, start up the game and when it asks you to redownload the content, select no. Continue playing.

Oh this is pissing me off something fierce. It's fucking Oasis ALL. OVER. AGAIN. I had to YouTube ITS location on three separate occasions to no avail. Eventually I gave up for a week then stumbled onto it a few days later.

Does ANYONE know how the HELL I get to the compound to
find the Sexbot for the Wang Dang Atomic Tango quest?
This is ridiculous. How the hell can following a direction arrow on a map NOT eventually get you to where you need to go!?

Before patch my companions would wait at my suite at the Lucky 38 after I fire them, after patch they no longer have that option. Not Cool!!!

[quote name='Scorch']Did you try doing what I suggested? Go to settings > memory, click clear the cache, start up the game and when it asks you to redownload the content, select no. Continue playing.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I did try that and nothing changed. Still get the same errors.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Oh this is pissing me off something fierce. It's fucking Oasis ALL. OVER. AGAIN. I had to YouTube ITS location on three separate occasions to no avail. Eventually I gave up for a week then stumbled onto it a few days later.

Does ANYONE know how the HELL I get to the compound to
find the Sexbot for the Wang Dang Atomic Tango quest?
This is ridiculous. How the hell can following a direction arrow on a map NOT eventually get you to where you need to go!?[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA...thanks for reminding me about trying to find Oasis the first time. Oh God, what torture. It can definitely be a bitch sometimes trying to find stuff in these games.

game[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']HAHAHA...thanks for reminding me about trying to find Oasis the first time. Oh God, what torture. It can definitely be a bitch sometimes trying to find stuff in these games.[/QUOTE]

You'd think Obsidian would have at least made an attempt to tweak both the arrow and the map themselves instead of going the copy-paste route but whatever. I guess if it is broke you shouldn't fix it either as noted by the annoying amount of glitches I'm STILL running into here. Thankfully I managed to find it twenty minutes later on my own only to have the game glitch ED-D out with a metric f*ckton of quest related components for a NCR side quest along with a stack of good loot and repair stock for expensive high end shit.

Funniest thing about it is the game is convinced the damn thing is still following me around the wastes so who is willing to bet I WON'T be able to recruit something else in its absence until this is fixed? Hell... I still have its follower specific perk proving this piece of shit game is loony f*ckin' toony.

I've decided to clean out my cache and wait another in game week for the game to right itself otherwise I'm just going to keep moving. If I run into anything else that isn't worth ignoring or waiting to be patched then I'm selling this garbage asap. How some studios get away without properly testing their games is beyond me. Thanks for ruining what honestly could have been an all around good game.

As someone mentioned earlier, and I agreed with then, it's really, really annoying that certain quests are not available to you due to actions you take. The best is, I went and killed a bunch of the Powder Gangers in the NCR Correctional Facility, and then a message popped up that I failed some quest that I never even started...ugh...stupid. All quests should be available to you, and how you complete them is up to you.

And I was just reading and realized that, in order to get all of the achievements in one playthrough, you have to have separate saves, so you can do the quests for all of the main factions. Not a massive deal, because I plan on going through this again down the road, anyway, but still, I hate stuff like that.

So I shouldnt get the latest patch from the sound of things here...

scorch, I have seen the problem occur multiple times where enemies run from you. It's hilarious but annoying when I'm trying to hunt someone down.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As someone mentioned earlier, and I agreed with then, it's really, really annoying that certain quests are not available to you due to actions you take. The best is, I went and killed a bunch of the Powder Gangers in the NCR Correctional Facility, and then a message popped up that I failed some quest that I never even started...ugh...stupid. All quests should be available to you, and how you complete them is up to you.

And I was just reading and realized that, in order to get all of the achievements in one playthrough, you have to have separate saves, so you can do the quests for all of the main factions. Not a massive deal, because I plan on going through this again down the road, anyway, but still, I hate stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually okay with that. Fallout 3 required multiple playthroughs to get everything done (including cheevos), so I'm totally okay with having to play MORE fallout NV. It's not like I'm going to play through the game once and be done with it.

I just noticed how sad yet awesome it is how arguably the best song in the game (Dean Martin - Ain't That A Kick In The Head) is one they stole from FO3. Glad they did though because it puts me in a genuinely good mood every time I hear it. Not to say I don't appreciate "Blue Moon" because that song is a classic in its own right but the selection from the NV stations are just making me miss FO3 that much more. ;(

Seriously wish I hadn't ran into that companion glitch I mentioned earlier. I'm unleashing hell on a Fiend base so I could use the extra storage space. I think it is tied to the phasing through the environment glitch the patch supposedly fixed (specifically when traversing uphill because there is a high tendency for characters to get stuck in crevices or hit a transparent wall INCLUDING the damn robot) so beware.

I've lost count of how many battles my NCR summoned temp. companions weren't a part of because they got stuck on a wall, corner, set of steps or a hill only to teleport after the battle. Always take the most straight forward routes if you can afford to so you won't get screwed.

I still can't find the Brocflower or whatever it's called. One marker is by the cemetary (sp?) and one is by the school house. I killed all the bugs at and inside the school house and cant find the damn flower.

[quote name='drktrpr1']I'm actually okay with that. Fallout 3 required multiple playthroughs to get everything done (including cheevos).[/QUOTE]

Not really. All of the achievements were pretty easy to get through one playthrough. None of the quests are ever shut off to you. The only achievements that require multiple playthroughs are the "reach level x with y karma," but those were pretty easy to do. If you were good, for example, just do a bunch of dumb crap, level up, and reload.

It's not really the achievements that annoy me, though. I played through Fallout 3 multiple times. I just don't like quests being shut off to you.

[quote name='hustletron']I still can't find the Brocflower or whatever it's called. One marker is by the cemetary (sp?) and one is by the school house. I killed all the bugs at and inside the school house and cant find the damn flower.[/QUOTE]

The flower is outside the school. I think it's by the fallen tree. Don't feel bad. I was running around the whole place for ten minutes before I finally looked up online.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not really. All of the achievements were pretty easy to get through one playthrough. None of the quests are ever shut off to you. The only achievements that require multiple playthroughs are the "reach level x with y karma," but those were pretty easy to do. If you were good, for example, just do a bunch of dumb crap, level up, and reload.

It's not really the achievements that annoy me, though. I played through Fallout 3 multiple times. I just don't like quests being shut off to you.[/QUOTE]

I like having the feeling that your consequences do have actions though. I usually hate having quest close off h=as well since I'm a completionist, but since it's a game that I'll no doubt have multiple playthroughs with, I don't mind as much.

So, about 25 hours in, and I still haven't met up with anything game-breaking. So, I know that the game will probably take a massive shit whenever I get close to the end...

Yeah.. for that early mission with Sunny, she asked me to find the flowers.. I wandered around for a while, came back and talked to her, and she acted like I had picked them up.. I hadn't.

http://twitpic.com/30cazk

I don't know why I find it so funny, but I've been picking up empty bottles when I have extra inventory slots before heading back to my place and tossing them in the bathtub.

I'm sure I'm going to break the game at some point with this. :lol: I did notice one time I came back and a half dozen of the whiskey bottles were standing on the floor, some and other stuff in my room wasn't where I left it.

Oh, and I just got my second "safe-house" by doing a mission for the NCR...going to have to FIND it first though; no map marker, nothing, just the key.

I hate running into Legion Assassins. They took out a heavily guarded caravan, and my two companions
dog and girl from area with the two statues
I guess that's what I get for going into Legion territory and being vilified with them.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
I'm sure I'm going to break the game at some point with this. :lol: I did notice one time I came back and a half dozen of the whiskey bottles were standing on the floor, some and other stuff in my room wasn't where I left it.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you got yourself an intruder.

[quote name='keithp']Sounds like you got yourself an intruder.[/QUOTE]
Maybe I should arm some frag mines before I leave the house...
[quote name='craven_fiend']I hate running into Legion Assassins. They took out a heavily guarded caravan, and my two companions
dog and girl from area with the two statues
I guess that's what I get for going into Legion territory and being vilified with them.[/QUOTE]
That's kind of neat...I've got two different companions -
Boone and ED-E. Boone's snipering
has been saving my ass, but it scares the ever-loving mess out of me when I'm just moseying along and all of a sudden a massive gunshot rings out and the game jumps into cinematic kill mode. Free XP tho.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not really. All of the achievements were pretty easy to get through one playthrough. None of the quests are ever shut off to you. The only achievements that require multiple playthroughs are the "reach level x with y karma," but those were pretty easy to do. If you were good, for example, just do a bunch of dumb crap, level up, and reload.

It's not really the achievements that annoy me, though. I played through Fallout 3 multiple times. I just don't like quests being shut off to you.

The flower is outside the school. I think it's by the fallen tree. Don't feel bad. I was running around the whole place for ten minutes before I finally looked up online.[/QUOTE]

Yaaaa I finally found that shit, they are so hard to spot if you don't already know what to look for. I was running around for like 15 minutes in that little cemetary area looking for the last flower.

When you get to the area with the Mojave Express, I think it's called Primm, is there supposed to be a dead guy sitting right next to the door on the front of the building? I can't remember his name but he has a satchel type bag on his shoulder, looks like a courier himself, and the quest to follow up with the administrator of the Mojave Express shows the marker right there.

I hope he didn't get killed by convicts other wise I have to start over.

Well I'm on my second play through and put in about 30+ hours into the game now. The achievements are really annoying and I see myself putting in 70+ hours just to get a 1000/1000 in this game, maybe more. But hey thats why they call it achievements right?

Anyways, the same glitchs I experienced before are still in post patch though the loading times have been VASTLY improved

1) A golden gecko still got under the ground, my team mate was firing at him but it ended up killing both of us because we couldn't see it.

2) My team mates occasionaly become MIA if I leave them behind fighting enemies, so I have to make sure I don't run too far ahead of them. One of my team mates outright went MIA so I had to reload an older save.

3) Instead of having long load times leading up to a complete system lock the game just locks up on me now during transition of loading areas.

I'm also reading on Gamefaqs/XBox360achivements that a few amount of people aren't able to load their games at all.

So yeah, hopefully another patch is still in the works. I have yet to buy an Obsdian game that didn't have It's fair share of glitches. Though if they could fix all this I would feel It's up to par with Fallout 3 in terms of enjoyment.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Maybe I should arm some frag mines before I leave the house...

That's kind of neat...I've got two different companions -
has been saving my ass, but it scares the ever-loving mess out of me when I'm just moseying along and all of a sudden a massive gunshot rings out and the game jumps into cinematic kill mode. Free XP tho.[/QUOTE]

QFT on the last bit!!!!!!

Also, I've having an incredible amount of trouble with the Oh My Papa quest.
I need to convince Melissa to speak out, but I just can't make it through the deathclaws and cazadores. What the fuck do I do????? Every time i even get near the place, there's like fifteen cazadores and 5 deathclaws. It's impossible. I've tried to use a stealthboy, but I always get found out. Should I just kill Papa? I don't have mister sandman, so how do I kill him in his sleep??? I am so terrible at this quest!!!!

If you have any answers to the above questions, please post!!!!! Thanks!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']That's kind of neat...I've got two different companions -
has been saving my ass, but it scares the ever-loving mess out of me when I'm just moseying along and all of a sudden a massive gunshot rings out and the game jumps into cinematic kill mode. Free XP tho.[/QUOTE]

It would've been alright if any of them died, so I had a shot at surviving. No luck there. I just need to stomp the Legion and get myself a place, so I can get rid of excess weapons that I use sparingly. Incinerator, a laser weapon, and a rifle are all I need. Thankfully, the ammo doesn't count against the weight.

I too enjoy the jumps, I just wish there was an indication on my map as to where it happens, so I can check to bodies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seems I can be added to the pile of people who are getting the DLC/Save System Glitches. While trying to complete the "Come Fly With Me" quest when you head back into Novac, I saved there. Minutes later when I died to a Nightkin and tried to reload I have now gotten a "Can't load this save because you don't have the required DLC. The storage device is no longer available." I get this error whether I load my manual save or my auto save some time before that before I even came into town. I am now stuck waiting for a patch that will fix this. Wasn't a giant amount of playtime gone(6 hours) but this is frustrating. Game breaking bug for me and now I just have to sit and wait.

[quote name='WTPolaris']Well, it seems I can be added to the pile of people who are getting the DLC/Save System Glitches. While trying to complete the "Come Fly With Me" quest when you head back into Novac, I saved there. Minutes later when I died to a Nightkin and tried to reload I have now gotten a "Can't load this save because you don't have the required DLC. The storage device is no longer available." I get this error whether I load my manual save or my auto save some time before that before I even came into town. I am now stuck waiting for a patch that will fix this. Wasn't a giant amount of playtime gone(6 hours) but this is frustrating. Game breaking bug for me and now I just have to sit and wait.[/QUOTE]
As soon as you complete the "Come Fly With Me" quest is when that save glitch occurs. I've done this quest at least 6 times now and once I found out that the quest was causing the save glitch I have just decided to roam around the wasteland and pick up some odd jobs and explore until they patch the game again and I can actually complete that quest. I am still considering taking this one back for a copy of Fable 3 and just picking it up later when all the bugs are worked out for the most part.

[quote name='Sigma']As soon as you complete the "Come Fly With Me" quest is when that save glitch occurs. I've done this quest at least 6 times now and once I found out that the quest was causing the save glitch I have just decided to roam around the wasteland and pick up some odd jobs and explore until they patch the game again and I can actually complete that quest. I am still considering taking this one back for a copy of Fable 3 and just picking it up later when all the bugs are worked out for the most part.[/QUOTE]
I finished that quest fine, took the space suit, and I'm about 20+ hours beyond that with no problematic save files...it has to be something in addition to that.

Otherwise, I hope I just didn't stumble into the endgame quests. I'd finally done enough where I felt comfortable heading to
the strip and confronting Benny
. He ducked me because my speech score wasn't high enough, and was going to
ambush me but I managed to succeed on the speech check in the suite. I got a bunch of "Wild Card" quests from Yes Man, and it all looks like "road to the end" type stuff...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As someone mentioned earlier, and I agreed with then, it's really, really annoying that certain quests are not available to you due to actions you take. The best is, I went and killed a bunch of the Powder Gangers in the NCR Correctional Facility, and then a message popped up that I failed some quest that I never even started...ugh...stupid. All quests should be available to you, and how you complete them is up to you.

And I was just reading and realized that, in order to get all of the achievements in one playthrough, you have to have separate saves, so you can do the quests for all of the main factions. Not a massive deal, because I plan on going through this again down the road, anyway, but still, I hate stuff like that.[/QUOTE]I know legion and NCR probably effect each other but are there other factions that get depend on each other?

[quote name='DT778']I know legion and NCR probably effect each other but are there other factions that get depend on each other?[/QUOTE]

There are three main factions (NCR, Legion, and Mr. House). From what I read, doing the main quests (the ones that have achievements attached to them) for any one faction will close off the quests from the others. There are also minor quests that can be closed off due to your relationship with a particular group.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']http://twitpic.com/30cazk

I don't know why I find it so funny, but I've been picking up empty bottles when I have extra inventory slots before heading back to my place and tossing them in the bathtub.

Oh, and I just got my second "safe-house" by doing a mission for the NCR...going to have to FIND it first though; no map marker, nothing, just the key.[/QUOTE]

Just walk south of the town where the dude gave you the key for about 2 or 3 minutes and you should run into it no prob.

[quote name='ncjason77']Just walk south of the town where the dude gave you the key for about 2 or 3 minutes and you should run into it no prob.[/QUOTE]
Oh! Thanks!

Now I have a third "home" on the Vegas strip...crazy. I only had one (Megaton) for the entire duration of Fallout 3. :lol:

Fallout is at its best when it's about nutty sci-fi and mutant stomping...some of this Vegas faction political dogmess is really starting to bog the game down for me now.

Still havent opened this game yet, everyone has me scared to play it. FO3 for me was one of the best games I ever played so the bar was set pretty high. Seems like this game does come close to reaching it from a tech and a storyline stand put.

Sigh....debating on if its worth the full price (only the 2nd game I have paid full for) I paid for it or to return it and wait for a better deal.

Finally got to start playing earlier and played for two hours with no problems. So far so good, but I'm still nervous about what's going to happen as I get in deeper

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Oh! Thanks!

Now I have a third "home" on the Vegas strip...crazy. I only had one (Megaton) for the entire duration of Fallout 3. :lol:

Fallout is at its best when it's about nutty sci-fi and mutant stomping...some of this Vegas faction political dogmess is really starting to bog the game down for me now.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I liked the missions in FO3 a lot more.

BRB, found caps glitch, filling bathtub with gold coins.
-Scrooge McDuck
goodtobeking.gif

Crapola...I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to pick a side and stick to it. Only people I've pissed off are the Powder Gangers. I definitely don't want to side with Caesar...I'm kind of leaning toward Mr. House or the NCR.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Still havent opened this game yet, everyone has me scared to play it. FO3 for me was one of the best games I ever played so the bar was set pretty high. Seems like this game does come close to reaching it from a tech and a storyline stand put.

Sigh....debating on if its worth the full price (only the 2nd game I have paid full for) I paid for it or to return it and wait for a better deal.[/QUOTE]

Don't open it! Buy it from Glyde for $43 if they still have some copies.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Crapola...I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to pick a side and stick to it. Only people I've pissed off are the Powder Gangers. I definitely don't want to side with Caesar...I'm kind of leaning toward Mr. House or the NCR.[/QUOTE]

So, I'm guessing this comes pretty late in the game. How is it presented? Like, do you have to choose on the spot or head to the "camp" for whatever faction you wanna side with? What happens if you've already pissed off a group? Can you still choose to side with them?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']So, I'm guessing this comes pretty late in the game. How is it presented? Like, do you have to choose on the spot or head to the "camp" for whatever faction you wanna side with? What happens if you've already pissed off a group? Can you still choose to side with them?[/QUOTE]

It's all depends on when you decide to head up to New Vegas. Basically everything bad you have ever done to to either the NCR or Caesars Legion goes back to regular. They both randomly send guys to tell you that you've been forgiven this once and ooffer you to join them. This decision isn't made on the spot. You have to go to their camps to ally with them.

[quote name='Captain Bumout']It's all depends on when you decide to head up to New Vegas. Basically everything bad you have ever done to to either the NCR or Caesars Legion goes back to regular. They both randomly send guys to tell you that you've been forgiven this once and ooffer you to join them. This decision isn't made on the spot. You have to go to their camps to ally with them.[/QUOTE]

So even if the Legion loathe me, due to things in
Nipon
, I can get that cleared up by getting to New Vegas, thankfully I snuck in there from the camp near it. If that's the case, off to New Vegas I go, so I can actually travel without being jumped by their assassins.

Don't know why everyone keeps saying they are scared to start because of glitches/freezes... I'm 13 hours in and exactly 2 freezes. The 2nd happened just now and it's a good excuse to quit and go to bed, night shifter... Literally happened 2 minutes after a autosave. :D

My game of the year hands down. I love just exploring everything this game is crack on crack. :D

[quote name='Soodmeg']Still havent opened this game yet, everyone has me scared to play it. FO3 for me was one of the best games I ever played so the bar was set pretty high. Seems like this game does come close to reaching it from a tech and a storyline stand put.

Sigh....debating on if its worth the full price (only the 2nd game I have paid full for) I paid for it or to return it and wait for a better deal.[/QUOTE]

ROFLOL. We are in the same boat. I never buy games at launch and I have a sealed copy of this game at the house. I am debating whether I should take this back and pick it up a few weeks (or months) from now when they have all the problems fixed. I do not play for that many hours per week and I will be pissed if hours of hard work go up in smoke.

bread's done
Back