Fantasy Football "Who Should I Start" Thread, 2013

I'd def keep Morris (I elected to keep him in one of my leagues, only will cost me a 15th round pick). What pick will Seattle's D cost you? Normally I wouldn't advocate taking a Defense as a keeper, but if it only costs you like 9th round pick or later that is not too bad considering Seattle is looking to be top tier defense (fantasy wise at least).
So its a 10 man league, PPR. I think I give up the previous round's pick if I keep them. Yards count way more than TDs

Here's some of the guys on the team

Seattle was picked in the 13th round and Morris was a free agent, both of those won't hurt me and Im planning to keep them. Seattle would force me to give up the 12 round pick

Last year here's what the guy picked (If you have suggestions on what to keep let me know). I think he gave up picks in some rounds

Gates Round 1 (not keepable)

Fred Jackson Round 3 (Im not keeping him, Spiller will get more carries this year)

Shonn Greene Round 4 (not planning on keeping him since hes now on the Titans)

Finley Round 5 (big disappointment last year)

Steve Smith Round 6

Romo round 7 (I could consider keeping him

Rivers Round 7

Santonio Holmes round 8

Daruis Heyward-Bey Round 9

Crosby round 10

Sidney Rice round 10 (he could do well this year)

Seattle Rounds 13

LaMichael James Round 14

Free agents, Moreno, Morris, Reece, and Sanders. I can keep one free agent

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished my 14 team PPR draft and ended up with:
QB - Robert Griffin III
WR - Victor Cruz
WR - Wes Welker
RB - Adrian Peterson
RB - Reggie Bush
TE - Fred Davis
Flex - Lance Moore
K - Empty
DEF - Pittsburgh Steelers

Bench:
RB Daryl Richardson
WR Chris Givens
QB Ben Roethlisberger
WR Kenbrell Thompkins
RB Marcel Reece
WR Santonio Holmes

I was tempted to take Jimmy Graham with one of my 2nd/3rd round picks, but took Bush instead. I'm glad I did because there was a big run on RBs early. A lot hinges on RG3 being healthy. I'll probably drop Holmes before week 1 to pick up a kicker.
Sick draft. And yeah, drop Holmes for a kicker.

So its a 10 man league, PPR. I think I give up the previous round's pick if I keep them. Yards count way more than TDs

Here's some of the guys on the team

Seattle was picked in the 13th round and Morris was a free agent, both of those won't hurt me and Im planning to keep them. Seattle would force me to give up the 12 round pick

Last year here's what the guy picked (If you have suggestions on what to keep let me know). I think he gave up picks in some rounds

Gates Round 1 (not keepable)

Fred Jackson Round 3 (Im not keeping him, Spiller will get more carries this year)

Shonn Greene Round 4 (not planning on keeping him since hes now on the Titans)

Finley Round 5 (big disappointment last year)

Steve Smith Round 6

Romo round 7 (I could consider keeping him

Rivers Round 7

Santonio Holmes round 8

Daruis Heyward-Bey Round 9

Crosby round 10

Sidney Rice round 10 (he could do well this year)

Seattle Rounds 13

LaMichael James Round 14

Free agents, Moreno, Morris, Reece, and Sanders. I can keep one free agent
Seattle D for a 13th rounder and you can keep Morris without losing a draft pick? Stay that course, I'd absolutely retain those 2 and kick everyone else on that team to the curb. By keeping Morris and hopefully landing a good draft spot you could secure another top tier RB in round 1 then that is an amazing base to build a team from.

I wouldn't worry at all about keeping Romo or Rice, or anyone else. Nothing is there that you porbably could not draft in those positions anyhow and truth be told if it were me I'd take the gamble to try get some more talented guys.

In my keeper league, I think I am going to keep these players:

Andrew Luck QB 

Doug Martin RB

Sean Lee LB

In this league you have to keep on defensive player if you want to keep two offense. I'm wondering if I should sub in Patrick Peterson (barely had more points than Lee did in 3/4 of a season) or just drop Martin and Lee and only keep Luck. 

Some thoughts on a trade.

Hillman & Steve Smith for Nicks.
Seems like a pretty even trade, though there's major concerns to be had on both sides. Nicks has obvious injury concerns and even if healthy Cruz is likely there to steal some of his touches.

On the other hand, Steve Smith is the only decent WR on Carolina, but he is also ancient by NFL standards. When that is the case there is always a younger guy lokking to take over (Plus Smith doesn't see the end zone that much unless he breaks for a long play). Hillman is becoming less and less a factor though. Denver has RB problems all the way around really. I know Manning likes Hillman because he pass protects better than Ball, but he also fumbles alot more (in preseason thus far) which Manning may hate even more. So with Manning being a bit of a ball hog and no RB really shining, I doubt you will see any real production from Hillman or even Ball, especially early on.

In conclusion, it basically comes down to who has less downside. If it were me, I'd probably pull the trigger assuming you are the one receiving Nicks. If you are the one receiving Hillman & Smith I'd say no deal or counter.

It is also Nicks' contract year, so unless he can't physically walk on the field, expect him to give everything he can to get a big season under his belt.

Andrew Luck QB

Doug Martin RB

Sean Lee LB

In this league you have to keep on defensive player if you want to keep two offense. I'm wondering if I should sub in Patrick Peterson (barely had more points than Lee did in 3/4 of a season) or just drop Martin and Lee and only keep Luck.
Keep Martin

Andrew Luck QB

Doug Martin RB

Sean Lee LB

I've never done IDP, and I'm not familiar with scoring systems for them, so I don't feel like I can give you valid advice on whether to keep Peterson or Lee, but I do like the idea of keeping both Luck and Martin, however you work it.

I think I'm going to stick with Lee. He'll get more tackles and most likely sacks. And I'll pray he doesn't get some fluke injury like he did last year. 

Just did my draft, 10 person PPR league, standard scoring. I drafted 10th....

QB: Andrew Luck

WR: Calvin Johnson

WR: Pierre Garcon

WR: Steve Smith

RB: Jamaal Charles

RB: Chris Johnson

TE: Jared Cook

W/R: Lamar Miller

K:Sebastian Janikowski

DEF: Packers

BN: Michael Vick

BN: T.Y. Hilton

BN: Tavon Austin

BN: Josh Gordon

BN: Chris Ivory

BN: Ben Tate

Looks good.  Charles and Megatron are obviously slam dunks, but I also personally really like CJ2K, Luck, Hilton and Austin this year.  I'll be targeting a number of those guys myself in my draft later today.  Ivory and Tate give you nice depth at RB, too.  If Foster misses any games, you're golden.

Wait, I just noticed you said it was a PPR league.  How the hell did Charles and Megatron both fall to you at 10 in a PPR league?  Unreal.

Just got back from my draft.  12 teams, half-point per reception.  We start 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, no flex.  I had the 5th pick.

QB- Andrew Luck

RB- Marshawn Lynch

RB- Chris Johnson

WR- Brandon Marshall

WR- Victor Cruz

TE- Jermichael Finley

K- Matt Bryant

DST- Cincinnati

Bench

QB- Carson Palmer

RB- Rashard Mendenhall

RB- DuJuan Harris

RB- Bryce Brown

RB- Shonn Greene

WR- Steve Johnson

WR- Santonio Holmes

DST- Baltimore

I like my team, but I'm not sure I love it.  A few guys I was targeting went one pick ahead of when I was hoping to grab them, I guess that happens to everyone in every draft.  Randall Cobb went one pick before I took Victor Cruz, Larry Fitzgerald went one pick before I took Brandon Marshall, that sort of thing.  My bench is full of less than thrilling backup RB's, but RB's went early and often, much more so than is usual for the group of guys I draft with.  On the plus side, I like CJ2K to have a bounce-back year this year, and I had hoped I could get him in Round 2, and I like Luck this year as well.  We'll see.

Got suckered in to taking a spot in a league at work and it will be my first year doing Fantasy Football. Is there any free resources on the web that I can use?

(i.e. order of best ranked players overall, top player rankings by position, & whats the best order by position to draft)

There are lots of places you can find rankings cheat sheets you can print off and take with you to the draft.  ESPN, NFL.com, Yahoo for example.  As far as what's the best order to take certain positions, there's no definitive answer.  A lot of it depends on your league's scoring system (for example, getting a stud QB like Brees or Rodgers early is a lot more important in leagues that award 6 points for a passing TD than one that only gives 4, or targeting WR's early may depend on if your league only starts 2 WR's, or 3 WR's plus a flex, or whatever)  Also, if it's a PPR (point per reception) league, RB's who catch a lot of passes, like Reggie Bush or Matt Forte, become much more valuable than they are in standard, yardage only leagues.

I always recommend trying to take 2 RB's within your first 3 picks, because there are so few good ones, and if you wait too long to get them (because you can't resist guys like Brees or Jimmy Graham in the early rounds), your RB corps is going to look ugly when it's all said and done.

Do you know how many teams are in the league, and what spot you'll be picking from?

Just got back from my draft. 12 teams, half-point per reception. We start 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, no flex. I had the 5th pick.

QB- Andrew Luck

RB- Marshawn Lynch

RB- Chris Johnson

WR- Brandon Marshall

WR- Victor Cruz

TE- Jermichael Finley

K- Matt Bryant

DST- Cincinnati

Bench

QB- Carson Palmer

RB- Rashard Mendenhall

RB- DuJuan Harris

RB- Bryce Brown

RB- Shonn Greene

WR- Steve Johnson

WR- Santonio Holmes

DST- Baltimore

I like my team, but I'm not sure I love it. A few guys I was targeting went one pick ahead of when I was hoping to grab them, I guess that happens to everyone in every draft. Randall Cobb went one pick before I took Victor Cruz, Larry Fitzgerald went one pick before I took Brandon Marshall, that sort of thing. My bench is full of less than thrilling backup RB's, but RB's went early and often, much more so than is usual for the group of guys I draft with. On the plus side, I like CJ2K to have a bounce-back year this year, and I had hoped I could get him in Round 2, and I like Luck this year as well. We'll see.
I like the team, I'd rather have Marshall than Fitz anyway. But overall if Chris Johnson has a great year you'll be looking good since the rest are pretty consistent sans Luck but I see him having a great 2nd year.

My 2nd draft was earlier today. It is a very high scoring league so it's tough to go by traditional rankings but here is the scoring...

Pass yards: 10 yards per point; 10 points at 400 yards passing

TD: 6 points

Completion: 1 point

Incompletion: -1 point

Int: -3

Rush yards: 5 yards per point; 15 points at 100 rushing yards

Rush Attempt: 1 point

Receiving yards: 5 yards per point; 15 at 100

PPR

Return yards: 10 yards per point

QB: Peyton Manning

WR: A.J. Green

WR: Reggie Wayne

WR: Hakeem Nicks

RB: LeSean McCoy

RB: Frank Gore

TE: Jared Cook

W/R/T: Daryl Richardson

K: Justin Tucker

DEF: Arizona

BN: Steve Smith

BN: Mike Wallace

BN: Miles Austin

BN: Denarius Moore

BN: Darius-Heyward-Bey

BN: Pierre Thomas

Probably way too heaby on the WR's, wish I had a better #3 RB. League also had 3 IDP's but not going to bother to post them.

Just got done with my draft too. It's a standard league with 12 teams. I took running backs with my first three picks, so they better not fail me. I was drafting 9th overall in snake order.

QB: A. Luck, A. Dalton

RB: C.J. Spiller, A. Morris, D. Sproles, A. Brown, B. Powell

WR: R. Wayne, W. Welker, J. Gordon, L. Moore, K. Thompkins

TE: O. Daniels

K: G. Zuerlein

D: Giants

what do you think of my team drafted 11th

anything i should work on

starters

cj spiller

trent richardson

reggie bush

andrew luck

jimmy graham

desean jackson

dwayne bowe

cecil shorts

bench

kembrell thompkins

brandon myers

alex smith

michael floyd

mark ingram

All drafts pretty much look good to start the season unless you really mess it up. Also hard to judge without seeing the whole draft.

Did my second of two drafts yesterday. In both I picked up Gronk in the early-mid rounds with the expectations of having him available for the later part of the season. Hopefully it works out.

I generally do little prep, which works for me I'm usually in the playoffs, but this time I actually did some mocks drafts to help me get an idea of what will be available later in the draft. But mocks take forever so I'm glad I found this simulation draft site. It's quick and the computer changes it up. Sometimes it goes WR heavy, RB heavy, early run of QBs, etc. http://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/

There are lots of places you can find rankings cheat sheets you can print off and take with you to the draft. ESPN, NFL.com, Yahoo for example. As far as what's the best order to take certain positions, there's no definitive answer. A lot of it depends on your league's scoring system (for example, getting a stud QB like Brees or Rodgers early is a lot more important in leagues that award 6 points for a passing TD than one that only gives 4, or targeting WR's early may depend on if your league only starts 2 WR's, or 3 WR's plus a flex, or whatever) Also, if it's a PPR (point per reception) league, RB's who catch a lot of passes, like Reggie Bush or Matt Forte, become much more valuable than they are in standard, yardage only leagues.

I always recommend trying to take 2 RB's within your first 3 picks, because there are so few good ones, and if you wait too long to get them (because you can't resist guys like Brees or Jimmy Graham in the early rounds), your RB corps is going to look ugly when it's all said and done.

Do you know how many teams are in the league, and what spot you'll be picking from?
Draft order is not known yet till Saturday right before we draft.

It is a standard scoring league were the QB's get 4 point per TD.

We draft 4 RB's, 4 WR's 2 QB's, 2 TE's 2 Def's, 2 Kickers.

We start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 QB, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 Def, 1 Kicker.

I generally do little prep, which works for me I'm usually in the playoffs, but this time I actually did some mocks drafts to help me get an idea of what will be available later in the draft. But mocks take forever so I'm glad I found this simulation draft site. It's quick and the computer changes it up. Sometimes it goes WR heavy, RB heavy, early run of QBs, etc. http://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/
Nice. Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. I'm going to check it out later; it sounds cool. I did a few mocks on my league's site, and they all come out nearly identical, and none really resembled my league's real draft. Mocks that change it up could be helpful.

Draft order is not known yet till Saturday right before we draft.

It is a standard scoring league were the QB's get 4 point per TD.

We draft 4 RB's, 4 WR's 2 QB's, 2 TE's 2 Def's, 2 Kickers.

We start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 QB, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 Def, 1 Kicker.
Chances are, if you can hold off until round 5 or so to get a QB, you still should have guys like Luck, Stafford, possibly even RGIII to choose from (they were all still available when I took Luck in round 5 in my draft) If you want to go QB a little earlier than that, just to give you an idea, Ryan, Kaepernick, Romo, and Newton all went within the last 4 picks of round 3 and the first 4 picks of round 4 in my draft.

Either way, good luck!

God I got such an urge to put in kembrell thompkins in week one but Its a gamble that hell outproduce bowe shorts or desean jackson

20 team PPR, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 flex, team was autodrafted:

QB - Russell Wilson (I had Romo ahead of him in my rankings, and the system still gave me Wilson when Romo was available. Not happy about that.)

WR - Vincent Brown

WR - Kenny Britt

WR - Kendall Wright

RB - Matt Forte

RB - Pierre Thomas

TE - Jimmy Graham

Flex - Vernon Davis

BN - Lance Dunbar

BN - Michael Bush

BN - Austin Pettis

BN - Jon Baldwin

K/DEF - who cares

IDP - 4 MLB, 1 LOLB, 2 SS, and 2 DE

Thoughts? My first reaction is to move Davis for a WR. Yahoo's auto-draft system is clearly broken if it took Wilson instead of Romo, as well.

10 team, non-PPR, 2 WR, 2 RB, 2 flex, also autodrafted:

QB - Vick

WR - Cruz

WR - Nelson

RB - Spiller

RB - Jones-Drew

TE - Graham

Flex - Bush

Flex - Ivory

BN - DeAngelo Williams

BN - Fred Davis

BN - Josh Gordon

BN - Chris Givens

K/DEF/IDP - who cares, 2 MLB

Dropping Davis for Thompkins, Michael Floyd, or Jacoby Jones (league gives points for return yards). Verdict?

Yeah, I think those are both probably good moves if you can do them.  That sucks about the autodraft ignoring your rankings. 

I did this draft a couple nights ago.  10 team league with standard scoring, I had 10th pick:

QB:  Tom Brady

RB:  Alfred Morris

RB:  Lamar Miller

WR: Dez Bryant

WR:  Roddy White

WR:  Steve Smith

TE:  Tony Gonzalez

DEF:  Seattle

K:  Josh Brown

Bench:  Tavon Austin,Montee Bell, Benjarvus Green Ellis, Lance Moore, Matt Schaub, Ben Tate

Very weird draft, seemed like some people didnt have any real football sense.  Kickers started flying off the board in the 8th round...

Yeah, I think those are both probably good moves if you can do them. That sucks about the autodraft ignoring your rankings.
I got Jones in the 10 team league, and someone dropped Christine Michael in the 20 team, so I put a claim in there.

I went over the draft again in the 10 team league, and McCoy was available when Spiller was drafted for me. I'm not disappointed with getting Spiller, but I had McCoy over him. I'll have to go over my rankings and the drafts to see if this happened more frequently.

What's a good defense this year? I've got the Giant's D but I'm not too sure if they're still good. I was thinking sacks while picking them. Defense like the Cardinals, Bucs, Chiefs, and Cowboys are on waivers.

I wanted to pick D base on matchup every week but my league put in a 30 season max on waiver claims. So, I'm trying not to burn half of it on D.

What's a good defense this year? I've got the Giant's D but I'm not too sure if they're still good. I was thinking sacks while picking them. Defense like the Cardinals, Bucs, Chiefs, and Cowboys are on waivers.

I wanted to pick D base on matchup every week but my league put in a 30 season max on waiver claims. So, I'm trying not to burn half of it on D.
Week one your best bet is the Bucs vs the Jets, but I wouldn't hang onto them for a full season considering the NFC South offenses. The Cowboys have some favorable matchups weeks 2 - 4 - Chiefs, Rams, Chargers.

I know this is a who should I start thread, but would anyone like to join a CAG fantasy league that is drafting tonight at 7 pm ET. We have 1 spot available. Just need an email address to send invite.

I have to drop DuJuan Harris, and I'm trying to decide who to put in for.  My league's add/drops for the week go through at midnight tonight.   Any suggestions?

I have to drop DuJuan Harris, and I'm trying to decide who to put in for. My league's add/drops for the week go through at midnight tonight. Any suggestions?
Who's available

I'm holding Knile Davis right now as my last roster spot but I might pick-up Patton if DeAndre Hopkins stays out with concussion issues.

Andre Brown should be back by mid October. "Broken leg" is a little misleading. He limped off the field with a bit of help. In deep enough leagues, he is still a viable option, especially if your league employees an injury reserve spot. The bigger concern is that it is the same leg he broke last year, so who knows what will happen when he does come back.

bread's done
Back