Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

Two roster questions for a non-PPR league (matchups in parentheses):

For WR2, do you start Ochocinco (Miami) or Plaxico Burress (Dallas)? I am leaning toward Ochocinco if only because of Brady, although Burress is tempting since it isn't clear that Dallas has fixed their problems in the secondary and he could be a good red zone target. Other options at WR are Rice (SF), Sims-Walker (Philly), and Evans (Pittsburgh), although I don't think I would start any of them at this point.

For my flex slot, I am back and forth between Ryan Grant (NO) and Knowshon Moreno (Oakland). I have no idea what to do here.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']What's your scoring system? Is it required to roster two defenses and two TE?[/QUOTE]No, it's not, and most years I only draft one of each. The backups I took at those 2 spots this year were among my last 3 picks (along with Bironas) I like to take RBs or WRs with upside with those final picks, but the guys in my league have gotten smarter over the years, and the pickings were very slim by the end. I only took San Fran to cover Green Bay's bye week (SF hosts the Brownies that week), and a backup TE because I don't feel great about Lewis for some reason.

Standard scoring, 6 for a rushing or receiving TD, 4 for a TD pass, 1 per 10 rushing/receiving, and 1 per 20 passing. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, and no flex.

[quote name='Danimal']No, it's not, and most years I only draft one of each. The backups I took at those 2 spots this year were among my last 3 picks (along with Bironas) I like to take RBs or WRs with upside with those final picks, but the guys in my league have gotten smarter over the years, and the pickings were very slim by the end. I only took San Fran to cover Green Bay's bye week (SF hosts the Brownies that week), and a backup TE because I don't feel great about Lewis for some reason.

Standard scoring, 6 for a rushing or receiving TD, 4 for a TD pass, 1 per 10 rushing/receiving, and 1 per 20 passing. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, and no flex.[/QUOTE]

How many teams in the league? I'd consider moving Bradford and maybe Bradshaw to an owner with a stud RB and a weak QB. It'd give you a roster spot to play with when an injury replacement/breakout player pops up.

[quote name='IvanHood']Two roster questions for a non-PPR league (matchups in parentheses):

For WR2, do you start Ochocinco (Miami) or Plaxico Burress (Dallas)? I am leaning toward Ochocinco if only because of Brady, although Burress is tempting since it isn't clear that Dallas has fixed their problems in the secondary and he could be a good red zone target. Other options at WR are Rice (SF), Sims-Walker (Philly), and Evans (Pittsburgh), although I don't think I would start any of them at this point.

For my flex slot, I am back and forth between Ryan Grant (NO) and Knowshon Moreno (Oakland). I have no idea what to do here.[/QUOTE]

One thing about Ochocinco, or any Pats WR/TE really, is that Brady is so good at spreading the ball around. I had Welker and Aaron Hernandez last year, and there were games where they just disappeared. The games where Brady targeted them were great, but there were other weeks when all the passes where going to someone else(Branch, Gronkowski, etc.)

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']How many teams in the league? I'd consider moving Bradford and maybe Bradshaw to an owner with a stud RB and a weak QB. It'd give you a roster spot to play with when an injury replacement/breakout player pops up.[/QUOTE]I doubt I could make a trade like that. The owners in my league have always been notoriously hesitant to trade. 12 teams, by the way. The three teams that I'd consider to have the weakest starting QBs (Stafford, Freeman, Kolb) all took those guys with Bradford still on the board, so they prefer the guys they have at that spot.

[quote name='IvanHood']Two roster questions for a non-PPR league (matchups in parentheses):

For my flex slot, I am back and forth between Ryan Grant (NO) and Knowshon Moreno (Oakland). I have no idea what to do here.[/QUOTE]I agree with Gravel about Ocho; plus with the preseason he's had, I'd wait until he's shown a little more when it counts. My gut tells me Plax and Knowshon for Week 1.

So, my draft is tomorrow, and it's a keeper league. So far I have Roethlisberger, Chris Johnson and Justin Tuck (have to take at least one defensive player to get 2 offensive). The person I took over for had turds for defensive players so I had to take Justin Tuck.

I'm going to take a Wide Receiver, but most of the big names (Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Andre Johnson, etc) are already kept by another team. I'm wondering should I take a gamble on someone like Julio Jones, DeSean Jackson or Dez Bryant for my first receiver? Or just go after someone established?

My fourth Draft, 8-team PPR, Scoring system is crazy, lots of bonuses for 40+ yard TDs, 300+ yard passing games, etc.

QB: Brees

RB: Peterson, McCoy, Javid Best, Ryan Matthews, Ben Tate

WR: Holmes, Manningham, Boldin, Burleson, Lloyd

TE: Daniels, Kendricks

K: Josh Brown

DEF: Steelers

Also insane bonuses for Defense keeping teams under 200 yards is like 15 points, shutout is like 30...

[quote name='GhostShark']So, my draft is tomorrow, and it's a keeper league. So far I have Roethlisberger, Chris Johnson and Justin Tuck (have to take at least one defensive player to get 2 offensive). The person I took over for had turds for defensive players so I had to take Justin Tuck.

I'm going to take a Wide Receiver, but most of the big names (Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Andre Johnson, etc) are already kept by another team. I'm wondering should I take a gamble on someone like Julio Jones, DeSean Jackson or Dez Bryant for my first receiver? Or just go after someone established?[/QUOTE]

Jackson is established at this point, get him if you can.. you gotta wait on Julio Jones.

So had my first (and possibly only) draft this morning and I think I did pretty decent. A few things I'd do differently, but I can't complain.

10 teams, had the 10th spot:

QB - Phillip Rivers
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew
RB - Peyton Hillis
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Jeremy Maclin
TE - Owen Daniels
K - Neil Rackers
DEF - New England

B - Shonn Greene
B - Jonathan Stewart
B - James Starks

B - Jordy Nelson
B - Steve Smith (CAR)
B - Danny Amendola

A couple notes. Reached on Jordy Nelson in the 8th round, but I love his upside. Amendola I spent a flier on in the last round if only because he was 9th in the league last year in receptions.

My bench has question marks and some may not pan out, but I tried going for guys with upside this year. I'm most likely going to suck in the kitty league since I only have one QB and questionable guys, but I'm hoping that drafting for the future helps me win the championship itself. I do think my RBs are risky with MJD coming off injury and having a bad preseason and Hillis is an injury waiting to happen (Madden Curse). I couldn't pass on Hillis in the middle of the 4th round though.

As far as no backup QB / TE goes, QB I didn't think I needed since Rivers is generally pretty healthy and how often am I going to start somebody over him? Kind of a wasted pick unless I'd go for trade bait. As for no TE, I'm buying into the belief that Daniels could have a good year this year. Plus, I don't recall many teams drafting a backup, so there are names still there. Cook, Keller, Cooley are some of the more noticeable ones, plus QB has plenty of options too at backup.

Here are the results of my 8 man draft league, we get to start two qbs in this league:

qbs-Vick, Brady, Stafford
rbs-Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Shonn Greene, Beanie Wells, Jahvid Best
wr-Brandon Marshall, Brandon Lloyd, Dez Bryant, Marques Colston, Plaxico Burress
te-Dallas Clark
k-Henery
Def-San Diego

I feel pretty good about this team.

[quote name='Danimal']
QB
Peyton Manning
Sam Bradford

RB
Ray Rice
Ahmad Bradshaw
Fred Jackson
Willis McGahee
Montario Hardesty

WR
Hakeem Nicks
Vincent Jackson
Percy Harvin
Santana Moss

TE
Marcedes Lewis
Zach Miller

K
Rob Bironas

DST
Green Bay
San Fransisco

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You did well to take Manning in the 5th round, Sam Bradford can start until Manning is up to speed. I like Fred Jackson this year, and I drafted him and Ahmad Bradshaw in a league of mine as well. I'm still on the fence with Bradshaw but he was a good value where I got him.

Nicks/Jackson is a great duo, Harvin has a nice upside and Moss is solid. Moss in a PPR league would be great, in standard scoring you'll hope to not have to play him but he won't screw you if you do.

I could take or leave your TEs and I love GB D this year. Good luck this season!

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Ok, CAG advice needed. Who would you start:
Ray Rice vs Pittsburgh or
Steven Jackson vs Philly?[/QUOTE] I'm wondering about whether to start Rice this week as well. Took him as the second overall pick, and I might sit him Week 1. My other option is Fred Jackson against KC. In two games against the Steelers last year, Rice did NOTHING. (52 yards rushing, 3 catches for 27 yards combined for both games, and no TDs) The thing that could make it a double whammy for me is that my Week 1 opponent starts the Steelers as his DST. Triple whammy for me is I'm a diehard Steelers fan and want them to crush the Ravens. Man, I hate when you have to split your loyalty in fantasy.

Who else do you have at RB and how many do you start?

Bad news Danimal:
"1070 The Fan in Indianapolis reports Sunday that Colts QB Peyton Manning needs another surgery on his injured neck. The report says he is out indefinitely, though the team would not officially comment on the matter. Manning has undergone two procedures in the last year-and-a-half, and the latest one caused him to miss the majority of the preseason practices along with all the games."

[quote name='gravel']Bad news Danimal:
"1070 The Fan in Indianapolis reports Sunday that Colts QB Peyton Manning needs another surgery on his injured neck. The report says he is out indefinitely, though the team would not officially comment on the matter. Manning has undergone two procedures in the last year-and-a-half, and the latest one caused him to miss the majority of the preseason practices along with all the games."[/QUOTE]Yeah, I just read that on my league site. I'm screwed. I loved Bradford as my backup; as my starter, I don't know.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']We start 2 rbs. LeSean McCoy is my other starter. So i have him, Rice, Jackson, and Reggie Bush.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I think I'd go McCoy and SJax this week.

Should I trade CJ2k for Frank Gore and Dez Bryant?
Team:
1QB: Peyton Manning, Matt Cassel
2RB: Ray Rice, MOJO, CJ, Fred Jackson, Jonathan Stewart
3WR: Jordy Nelson, Reggie Wayne, Julio Jones, Mike Thomas, Danny Amendola
1TE: Kellen Winslow
1K: Stephen Gostkowski
1DEF: Chicago

Number in front of position is how many player starts, there is no flex.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Should I trade CJ2k for Frank Gore and Dez Bryant?
Team:

[/QUOTE]

I probably would, WR needs some more strength

I'm so mad. I had to work the night of my draft so I set up my first 20 picks and then the rest was auto drafted. In a 2QB league I got Stafford, Kolb and McCoy. Unbelievable. I have literally no chance and I can guarantee that unless I hit a home run with an Arian Foster type player from the waiver wire I am going to come in last place. One team in my league has Brady and Manning and another has Brees and Vick. The rest of my team is solid but I really need at least one top 10 QB to compete (they get 1 point per 10 yards rushing and 6 points for a TD pass).

Look at this hot mess:

QB K. Kolb
QB M. Stafford
WR M. Wallace
WR M. Austin
RB C. Johnson
RB R. Mendenhall
TE J. Finley
W/R D. McFadden
BN W. Welker
BN R. Bush
BN S. Moss
BN J. Graham
BN C. McCoy

[quote name='Javery']I'm so mad. I had to work the night of my draft so I set up my first 20 picks and then the rest was auto drafted. In a 2QB league I got Stafford, Kolb and McCoy. Unbelievable. I have literally no chance and I can guarantee that unless I hit a home run with an Arian Foster type player from the waiver wire I am going to come in last place. One team in my league has Brady and Manning and another has Brees and Vick. The rest of my team is solid but I really need at least one top 10 QB to compete (they get 1 point per 10 yards rushing and 6 points for a TD pass).

Look at this hot mess:

QB K. Kolb
QB M. Stafford
WR M. Wallace
WR M. Austin
RB C. Johnson
RB R. Mendenhall
TE J. Finley
W/R D. McFadden
BN W. Welker
BN R. Bush
BN S. Moss
BN J. Graham
BN C. McCoy[/QUOTE]
Trade Mendenhall and Wallace for a QB.

Really? I was thinking of offering Mendenhall or McFadden and maybe Welker for a QB but I think Wallace is going to be a beast and it doesn't make sense to trade 2 starters away for one... does it? Maybe it does since I'm desperate?

[quote name='Javery']Really? I was thinking of offering Mendenhall or McFadden and maybe Welker for a QB but I think Wallace is going to be a beast and it doesn't make sense to trade 2 starters away for one... does it? Maybe it does since I'm desperate?[/QUOTE]

Didn't see McFadden. I would say trade one of the RBs for a QB like Eli, Matty Ice, Freeman, or Schaub.

Team:

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to disagree with the other two guys and say no. Frank Gore is coming back from a decent injury, and Dez is an unknown at this point. I'm not hating on Dez since I actually have him in two of my leagues, but you're trading a sure thing for two question marks essentially.

I know it's pretty last minute, but does anyone have a league that hasn't drafted yet and is looking for one more? I'm just getting into FF and I'd love to play with some CAGers.

Thanks in advance! :)

Team:

[/QUOTE]

If it's a PPR and/or return yards league, yes.

javery:

Both Kolb and Stafford have bonafide stud #1 WRs... they might not struggle all that much this season. I'd keep Mendenhall, he's an every down back. Move McFadden and Welker for a QB, if you have to. Unless it's a PPR league.

Don't think I did too well in the draft...don't really have any form of backup at RB.

QB
Matt Cassel
Kyle Orton
Cam Newton (last round...just in case :D)

RB
Rashard Mendenhall
LeGarrette Blount
Danny Woodhead

WR
Hines Ward
Desean Jackson
Anquan Boldin
Derrick Mason
Jabar Gaffney
Lance Moore
Devin Hester

TE
Jermichael Finley

K
David Akers

DEF
Steelers

The lineup we use is...
QB
WR
WR
WR
RB
RB
TE
WR/RB/TE
K
Team Defense

Just finished my 10 team money league, 7th pick...not too excited. Gonna check out other teams to see if I can trade for some depth at RB.

QB - Schaub, Bradford
RB - Mendenhall, Bradshaw, Tolbert, P. Thomas, Michael Bush
WR - Fitz, Wallace, Stevie Johnson, Julio Jones, S. Smith (Car), Jordy Nelson
TE - Tony Gonzalez
DEF - Jets

Was really bummed that Vincent Jackson went one pick before me in the 3rd...he's going to have a monster year and a real shot at top 3 wr.

[quote name='diddy310']Don't think I did too well in the draft...don't really have any form of backup at RB.

QB
Matt Cassel
Kyle Orton
Cam Newton (last round...just in case :D)

RB
Rashard Mendenhall
LeGarrette Blount
Danny Woodhead

WR
Hines Ward
Desean Jackson
Anquan Boldin
Derrick Mason
Jabar Gaffney
Lance Moore
Devin Hester

TE
Jermichael Finley

K
David Akers

DEF
Steelers

The lineup we use is...
QB
WR
WR
WR
RB
RB
TE
WR/RB/TE
K
Team Defense[/QUOTE]

How many teams? Looks like a deep league.

Aside from your RB depth and having decide on a WR3, it's not that bad. Playing the matchups with Orton/Cassel should get you by fine. I'm more of a 10 team person though.

--

So I guess I'll kick this off then...who should I start between Julio Jones, Pierre Thomas, and Tolbert? Julio has been looking solid in preseason, but a rookie; PT is in a headache scenario, splitting carries with Ingram and Sproles; and Tolbert will be seeing only GL carries it appears, and is going against Minnesota, who is still solid against the run. And gotta decide by Thursday, before the Saints/Packers game. HALP!

I'd personally take Pierre Thomas out of the mix. With both Sproles and Ingram, as well as a pretty pass heavy offense, I don't see him netting you much.

Tolbert was really good to me last year, but with Matthews healthy he is definitely going to get a smaller work-load. Still look for him to gremlin a bunch of TDs from Matthews though.

Julio Jones is going up against Chicago who has a decent D and it's in Chicago. He has a chance to do some things but I like Tolbert to get you the most bang for your buck.

So guys, I need some help. My big money league was the other day, and I really don't like my team as much today as I did the night I drafted it (stupid Peyton Manning and his back/neck). Anyone I should target on the waiver wire? What do you guys see as my big areas of need? Am I crazy for thinking of picking up Kyle Orton?

pI0Pv.jpg

Oh yeah I should mention, the league is .5 PPR

Also... other money league - Malcolm Floyd or Dez Bryant for my last WR spot?

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']javery:

Both Kolb and Stafford have bonafide stud #1 WRs... they might not struggle all that much this season. I'd keep Mendenhall, he's an every down back. Move McFadden and Welker for a QB, if you have to. Unless it's a PPR league.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - that's what I'm thinking. It is NOT a PPR league so that makes sense. Kolb and Stafford definitely have good receivers and I think if Stafford can stay healthy he might go for 4,000 yards but that's a big if. I just don't like Kolb for some reason... eh, I guess I'll know more after the first few weeks.

So I'm looking for a 2nd opinion on my WR situation this week.

The WR in question is Mike Wallace (@BAL). I know I'm not starting Amendola (PHI) and am leaning against Jordy Nelson (NO - but is more unproven then because of his matchup). So it's really Wallace or CAR Steve Smith (@ARI).

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']So guys, I need some help. My big money league was the other day, and I really don't like my team as much today as I did the night I drafted it (stupid Peyton Manning and his back/neck). Anyone I should target on the waiver wire? What do you guys see as my big areas of need? Am I crazy for thinking of picking up Kyle Orton?

pI0Pv.jpg

Oh yeah I should mention, the league is .5 PPR

Also... other money league - Malcolm Floyd or Dez Bryant for my last WR spot?[/QUOTE]

Dez.

And don't sleep on Freeman. The Bucs are starting to come around, and last year his stats were roughly comparable to Rodgers--less passing yds, but right there with Pass TDs and rushing yds (if only he could get some rushing TDs to match up with the yards). If nothing else he should be a decent QB for you until Manning comes back, and a better option than Orton in a John Fox offense.

The draft for my main league was 3 weeks ago. I ended up with Peyton Manning as my #1 qb and David Garrard as my #2. What a difference 3 weeks make. LOL.

So who should I start week 1?

Kerry Collins @ Houston
Luke McCown vs Tennesse
Rex Grossman vs Giants

All of those options are pretty gross, emg28. Is there nothing else?

Out of those 3 I guess I'd go Grossman, but I really don't like any of those 3. Could you pick up someone like Orton, Hasselbeck or Jason Campbell?

I like McCown this week - not a lot of yards, but should get you some TDs. Collins is a close 2nd, only because of the weapons on hand. I'm not a sexy Rexy fan, was hoping it would be Beck, so leave him out until we see what he does in a Shanahan offense.

If he's out there, I do love McCoy against the Bengals this week.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']All of those options are pretty gross, emg28. Is there nothing else?

Out of those 3 I guess I'd go Grossman, but I really don't like any of those 3. Could you pick up someone like Orton, Hasselbeck or Jason Campbell?[/QUOTE]

I'm in a 16 team (1 QB) league and the only QB on waivers is Tarvaris Jackson.

[quote name='Kilraven']I like McCown this week - not a lot of yards, but should get you some TDs. Collins is a close 2nd, only because of the weapons on hand. I'm not a sexy Rexy fan, was hoping it would be Beck, so leave him out until we see what he does in a Shanahan offense.

If he's out there, I do love McCoy against the Bengals this week.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently in trade talks for McCoy but the guy knows I'm hurting and is asking for too much.

[quote name='emg28']The draft for my main league was 3 weeks ago. I ended up with Peyton Manning as my #1 qb and David Garrard as my #2. What a difference 3 weeks make. LOL.

So who should I start week 1?

Kerry Collins @ Houston
Luke McCown vs Tennesse
Rex Grossman vs Giants[/QUOTE]

Sexy Rexy! I think he has the most upside, and the Giants DBs are hurting.

I'd go Collins because not much has changed in Houston, excellent offense with terrible pass D.

Grossman would be my 2nd choice. I wouldn't touch McCown.

2QB league. Do I start Kolb or McCoy? I'm definitely starting Stafford as one of them. I'll probably go with Kolb. Ugh. I hate my team.

[quote name='Javery']2QB league. Do I start Kolb or McCoy? I'm definitely starting Stafford as one of them. I'll probably go with Kolb. Ugh. I hate my team.[/QUOTE] Kolb. Both those teams could just run over their opponents but at least Kolb has Fitz.

bread's done
Back