Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread

I'd start Housh and Jennings. Williams has been pretty freaking useless.
Housh should put up good numbers and Jennings might be able to break a couple big ones.

I love the fact that my starting WR's this week are Miles Austin, Sidney Rice and Nate Burleson. Let's hope they can keep it up this week. I need my QB (Rodgers) and my WRs to come up big because my RB's kinda suck (B. Jacobs, B. Wells, M. Bush, J. Charles). My TE (J. Carlson) has been pretty weak in terms of points since week 1 because he has to block so much now. At least my Defense (New Orleans) should come up big.

In my other league, I have a bit of a QB dilemma.
Who should I start:
Matt Schaub vs. Bills (the Bills have magically done well against the pass)
Kyle Orton vs. Ravens (no idea how he'll play or how much the Broncos will pass)
Kurt Warner vs. Panthers (he's been off and on this season)

Housh and Jennings.

Azu, I'd go with Warner. The Panthers stink, epically, and they've got a ton of weapons in ARZ. Plus, Delhomme is a turnover machine. You'll run into good field position pretty often.

Jennings has been KILLING me this year. I lost last week by 5 points and he barely did anything again. I could be 6-1 if he had a few more TDs but instead I'm 4-3. I'm thinking about benching him this week but I know the one time I do it he will go off.

[quote name='javeryh']Jennings has been KILLING me this year. I lost last week by 5 points and he barely did anything again. I could be 6-1 if he had a few more TDs but instead I'm 4-3. I'm thinking about benching him this week but I know the one time I do it he will go off.[/QUOTE] Keep Jennings in. The Pack is still a pass first team and Minnesota's best corner is out.

It seems like this is one of those weeks where I'll lose due to playing the wrong player (damn you, Shockey/McNabb).

Who should I go with?

Kevin Smith vs St. Louis
LaDainian Tomlinson vs Oakland

Also, I might have to go to the WW for a bye-week receiver. Who should I consider picking up?

Kenny Britt vs Jacksonville
Dennis Northcutt vs St. Louis (assuming C. Johnson sits)
Steve Breaston vs Carolina

BTW, my league doesn't give points for receptions.

I like Smith versus STL, personally. Yet, LT has the ability to go the fuck off on Oakland.

Breaston first, Northcutt second, and keep an eye on Britt - reports are saying Young starts Sunday. Britt is extremely talented, but playing with a QB that can't throw well far. If Young earns/keeps the starting job and clicks with Britt, you've got a possible sleeper for the second half of the season.

Alright, I've got to brag a bit here. I've been playing in a former company league for the past few years, and we have a small handful of players that aren't FF savy - sometimes borderline dumbasses. This year has been the best year of pulling boneheaded moves.

One gentleman decided to drop Pierre Thomas, the day he started after being off 2 weeks, and picked up Mewelde Moore. I happened to be on adjusting my lineup and seen the transaction, picked up the PT Cruiser, and he blew up for nearly 30 points. Two weeks later I made a trade offer for VJax from another player. VJax for Tashard Choice, Caddy, and Kenny Britt (he needed two backs he could start, and Britt was actually doing great at the time). This week he has officially dumped all three (having started none of them, even when he should have) of them, and witnessed Choice and Caddy get scarfed up immediately upon dropping. Now, today, at 4:30 he dropped Calvin Johnson (instead of, say, one of his freaking kickers!!!) because he's tired of him being injured. Yes, I promptly picked him up. Luckily for me, I was called for a possible trade and logged on to check out the offer a few minutes after it happened.

[quote name='Kilraven']I like Smith versus STL, personally. Yet, LT has the ability to go the fuck off on Oakland.

Breaston first, Northcutt second, and keep an eye on Britt - reports are saying Young starts Sunday. Britt is extremely talented, but playing with a QB that can't throw well far. If Young earns/keeps the starting job and clicks with Britt, you've got a possible sleeper for the second half of the season.[/QUOTE]Agree with this.

My choices for the week:

Brett Favre (at GB) or Kurt Warner (vs CAR)

Steve Smith (At AZ) or Torry Holt (at TEN)

Minnesota DST (at GB) or Arizona DST (vs CAR)

I also need to keep an eye on whether Westbrook is going to play. I'm guessing not. I've got MJD starting, but with C. Benson on his bye, if Westbrook sits, my only other option is Jonathan Stewart. I put in for Shonn Greene with a backup request for Jamaal Charles. The way the WW works in our league is all moves are done at once on Saturday morning, so everyone gets a chance to put in for whoever they want during the week, and moves go worst record to first. I'm 6-1, so I'm 12th in line for moves. Anyway, if Westbrook sits and I get one of those guys, would they be worth starting ahead of Stewart?

I take it LeSean McCoy's not available?

Consensus seems to be that Jamaal Charles is a safer play - you know he'll get touches, while Shonn Greene is kind of a wildcard.

[quote name='Danimal']Agree with this.

My choices for the week:

[/QUOTE] These are pretty easy. Warner, Holt, & Arizona.

[quote name='Josef']Thanks for listing the schedules. To me it would seem Schaub has a slightly better schedule (BUF, TEN, JAC, SEA, and STL all have very porous defenses). I'm going to see what kind of RB value I could get for either player.[/QUOTE]

No problem it's a tough call but, Brady seems to be getting back to how he was a few years ago.

My league I'm 5-2 in lineup:

Drew Brees, NO QB
Ronnie Brown, Mia RB
Marion Barber, Dal RB P
Steve Smith, NYG WR
Mike Sims-Walker, Jac WR
Miles Austin, Dal WR
Dallas Clark, Ind TE
Cardinals D/ST, Ari D/ST
Rian Lindell, Buf K

League I'm 1-6 note: I got Brady only 2 weeks ago.

Peyton Manning, Ind QB
Kevin Smith, Det RB
LeSean McCoy, Phi RB
Correll Buckhalter, Den RB
Devery Henderson, NO WR
Bryant Johnson, Det WR
Antonio Gates, SD TE
Chargers D/ST, SD D/ST
Josh Scobee, J

My main issue in this league is Smith has been all over the place. I have Larry Johnson on my bench and he has been a mess along with Cadillac Williams. Drafted TO and we know how horrible he has been also. Moss has had some great games though. I just can't seem to find consistant WR's I'm considering shopping Cutler who is on my bench also.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Danimal']Agree with this.

My choices for the week:

I also need to keep an eye on whether Westbrook is going to play. I'm guessing not. I've got MJD starting, but with C. Benson on his bye, if Westbrook sits, my only other option is Jonathan Stewart. I put in for Shonn Greene with a backup request for Jamaal Charles. The way the WW works in our league is all moves are done at once on Saturday morning, so everyone gets a chance to put in for whoever they want during the week, and moves go worst record to first. I'm 6-1, so I'm 12th in line for moves. Anyway, if Westbrook sits and I get one of those guys, would they be worth starting ahead of Stewart?[/QUOTE]

I think it's even between Warner and Favre; however, I do feel Green Bay will do everything in their power to make sure it's not Favre who beats them.

Got to go with any receiver facing Tennesee.

I just don't think Green Bay's O-line can protect Rodgers, so go with Minn.

Jamaal is on bye this week. I like Shonn Greene (so much that I drafted him), but I'm not sure how Miami is going to do against the Jets. These are two teams that essentially run, but also have good run defenses. I'd just proceed with caution, and play Stewart who should get the second most yards for Carolina.

[quote name='Kilraven']I think it's even between Warner and Favre; however, I do feel Green Bay will do everything in their power to make sure it's not Favre who beats them.

Got to go with any receiver facing Tennesee.

I just don't think Green Bay's O-line can protect Rodgers, so go with Minn.

Jamaal is on bye this week. I like Shonn Greene (so much that I drafted him), but I'm not sure how Miami is going to do against the Jets. These are two teams that essentially run, but also have good run defenses. I'd just proceed with caution, and play Stewart who should get the second most yards for Carolina.[/QUOTE]I'm leaning toward Favre, just because he always seems to come up big in games where the attention is all on him.

My concern with Holt is that when Jacksonville killed Tennessee in week 4, and Garrard threw for over 300 yards, Holt accounted for only 3 catches and 42 yards.

I'm torn about Minnesota because, while they recorded 8 sacks in their first game against Green Bay this year, they also gave up 424 yards and 23 points. Also, Arizona goes against Jake Delhomme, so there's the potential for several INTs there.

Yeah, I know Jamaal wouldn't help me this week, he was more of a depth choice. My starters are MJD and Benson, who will both be done with their byes after this week, so hopefully I won't need to start anyone else besides them again this year. But if one of them goes down, all I've got now is Westbrook and Stewart, so another option would be nice.

I would be very concerned with Benson finishing out the year. The Bengals have relied heavily on his running, so much so that he's also leading the league in carries and yards. Backs break, and when they're worked like this they break sooner. I'm not saying he's going down with an injury (he could finish the season without missing a game), but I will say I expect one soon.

Yeah, it's always a possibility when a guy carries that much of the load, but all I can do is cross my fingers and hope he doesn't break down. I had Michael Turner last year when he had 376 carries, and it was a concern, but that worked out all right.

On a side note, I didn't get either of the RBs that I put in for, so it will be Westbrook if he's playing, Stewart if he's not.

im very glad i went with pierre thomas over marshawn lynch this week. hopefully the saints start using mike bell less. its not that hes bad, but thomas should have reminded them that he is that good. if i had started lynch i would have lost.

this week, im leaning towards starting jamaal charles over LT, its my only question mark on my lineup this week. LT hasnt done great all year, granted he was injured for a chunk, but im still waiting for him to show up. charles has a good matchup and has a lot to play for this week.

I'd like to thank the Atlanta D/Saints O for the turnover during run-out-the-clock-mode that enabled Gonzalez to catch another pass & turn my 1 point loss into a 1 point win.

I knew it. I started K. Smith, who ended up with 8 pts after getting hurt, over LDT (15 pts). I lost by 4 pts. It was hard watching Minnesota go from having 24 pts in the 3rd quarter to ending up with 8 pts after Green Bay's offense started going off. Also, I started Phillip Rivers (13 pts) over McNabb (26 pts).

This is my first year playing FF and am currently 4-4. Three of my losses were due to starting the wrong players.

Week 2 - Shockey (4 pts) over Clarke (24 pts) 2 point loss :oops:
Week 6 - McNabb (10 pts) over Rivers (14 pts) 2 point loss
Week 8 - Smith (8 pts) over LDT (15 pts) & Rivers (13 pts) over McNabb (26 pts) 4 point loss

I almost wish I didn't have backup players so I could just start the same players each week. :lol: Anyways, who should I start this week?

McNabb (vs Dallas) or Rivers (vs NY Giants)

Tomlinson vs (NY Giants) or K. Smith vs (Seattle)

S. Moss vs (Atlanta) or S. Smith vs (New Orleans)

BTW, I'm leaning towards McNabb, K. Smith and Moss.

[quote name='emg28']This is my first year playing FF and am currently 4-4. Three of my losses were due to starting the wrong players. [/QUOTE]

Welcome to Fantasy Football.

I'd start Rivers (as much as it pains me but the Giants D is horrid right now), K. Smith (the Giants can contain the run for the most part and LDT hasn't been great - 56 yards on 18(!) carries last week are you fucking kidding me you worthless sack of shit best running back in the league my ass) and S. Smith (because I have a feeling the Saints will be involved in another high scoring game and Delhomme will be throwing it all over the place).

[quote name='2Fast']Steve Slaton literally assassinated my week. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

I'm not fully convinced that Kubiak is going to truly split/bench an explosive back for one that's failed to win a starting roll in four years time. Unless I see and even or Moats favored split this week and after the week after the bye, Slaton is still the starter and still going to get the majority of carries. In fact, the only thing I see right now, is Brown lost his goal line/3rd down roll to Moats.

[quote name='emg28'] I almost wish I didn't have backup players so I could just start the same players each week. :lol: Anyways, who should I start this week?

McNabb (vs Dallas) or Rivers (vs NY Giants)

Tomlinson vs (NY Giants) or K. Smith vs (Seattle)

S. Moss vs (Atlanta) or S. Smith vs (New Orleans)

BTW, I'm leaning towards McNabb, K. Smith and Moss.[/QUOTE]I would go with McNabb, K. Smith, and S. Smith. I have a feeling that Steve Smith is about to start picking it up after finally getting his first TD of the year last week. That might just be wishful thinking, though; I have him on my team as well. :)

I'm trying to decide between Cedric Benson and Brian Westbrook this week. I've got Benson in now, and will most likely leave it that way. I'm a bit concerned since Baltimore seemed to rediscover how to play defense last week, and they'll want to make a point with Benson, who ran for 120 yards and a score against them a few weeks ago. Any opinions?

Also, which 2 WRs?: Miles Austin, Chad Ochocinco, and Steve Smith (CAR)

[quote name='Danimal']I'm trying to decide between Cedric Benson and Brian Westbrook this week. I've got Benson in now, and will most likely leave it that way. I'm a bit concerned since Baltimore seemed to rediscover how to play defense last week, and they'll want to make a point with Benson, who ran for 120 yards and a score against them a few weeks ago. Any opinions?

Also, which 2 WRs?: Miles Austin, Chad Ochocinco, and Steve Smith (CAR)[/QUOTE]

Benson. Regardless what the Ravens might do, the Bungles will still hand the ball off to him nearly 20 times. As for your receivers, Smith-South shouldn't even be brought up. ;)

I'm a fantasy football genius so usually I don't have much trouble deciding what to do but I have a tough decision for who to start in my RB #2 slot this week. My not-so-great choices are Steve Slaton (lost his starting job for now), Knowshon Moreno (faces a tough Steelers defense this week) or Darren Sproles (I have Tomlinson as my other starter so this would lock up the Chargers running game this week).

What do you guys think?

I think I'd lean toward Slaton. He won't start, but I'd guess he'll still get more touches than Moats. Sproles would be my second choice. I don't expect Moreno to do much against Pittsburgh at all.

I'll go against the grain and say Moreno. He's the guy who probably has the most touches in him, and Josh McDaniels probably worked 85 hours last week to figure out why Baltimore stopped their offense.

So... I come you you, men of CAG, in search of answers.

McNabb (vs SD) or Hasselbeck (vs the K.Warners)?
Ricky Williams (vs Tampa), Frank Gore (vs the Bears), or Steven Jackson (vs the OMGBreesThrewAnotherTD)?

It's sorta funny, since I picked up Ricky as a last ditch bench guy when Gore got hurt, but he's been pretty beast recently.

[quote name='Chronis']So... I come you you, men of CAG, in search of answers.

Ricky Williams (vs Tampa), Frank Gore (vs the Bears), or Steven Jackson (vs the OMGBreesThrewAnotherTD)?

It's sorta funny, since I picked up Ricky as a last ditch bench guy when Gore got hurt, but he's been pretty beast recently.[/QUOTE]

Hasselbeck has been so up and down I would not trust him no matter the opponent. I would go McNabb & Frank Gore. The Bears D is in shambles right now.

Every week it's a disaster for me trying to figure out what RB's to start I have concussion boy Michael Westbrook, Slaton who has fumbled his way onto the bench, Cedric Benson (who would've thought HE would be my most consistent performer?), Joseph Addai, & a real reach of a waiver wire pickup Jamal Charles for KC.

McNabb. Hasellbeck has a shoulder issue & he stunk it up last time against AZ.

Gore just edges out Ricky. Both are playing bad Ds but I'd go with the guy who's the primary option. Both could have big weeks, Jackson is a non-factor.

Jackson may be a non factor as far as TD's go but he still averages over a 100 yards per game (or close to it). The TD's will come eventually.

Frank Gore is definitely the best of those 3 right now though. And start McNabb over Hasselback.

[quote name='Chronis']So... I come you you, men of CAG, in search of answers.

It's sorta funny, since I picked up Ricky as a last ditch bench guy when Gore got hurt, but he's been pretty beast recently.[/QUOTE]
McNabb over Hasselbeck.
Honestly, I'd imagine all 3 of those RBs will have great days. Considering how well DeAngelo Williams and Michael Turner played against the Saints, Jackson should do just fine.

im concerned this week about my starting qb. its either jay cutler or matt ryan. neither have been that impressive the last few weeks, but i gotta decide soon because of the short week. cutler plays tonight. i have cutler in the line up right now.

I need advice. I'm tied for the last playoff spot in my league and I'm feeling the pressure. We do not get points per catch. Yards and TDs are what matter.

Antonio Gates vs. Philly or Shiancoe vs. Detroit? Shiancoe keeps getting the 1 catch for 12 yards and a TD line while Gates can't find the end zone, but Gates is clearly the superior TE... but Shiancoe is playing Det.

I have to pick 3 of the 5 WR below. I can't decide who to go with.

Steve Smith (CAR) vs. ATL
Roddy White vs. CAR
Marshall vs. WAS
Austin vs. GB
Desean Jackson vs. SD

Right now I've got White, Marshall, and Austin going. I like Jackson vs. SD but hate his huge up and down swings. I've also got a feeling that CAR Smith is finally going to overcome Delhomme's perpetual suck. Any thoughts?

Ram, I would probably go with Ryan. SF's defense makes me nervous about Cutler, who I'm starting because of a bye. SF isn't going to be beating anyone by 21 in the 2nd half, so I would expect the Bears to be trying to push Forte, though he's been awful. CAR's defense probably can't handle ATL, but Turner's strong performance along with the good chance that ATL will be grinding in the 2nd half is a problem. I'd call that one a toss up and go with the better overall offense, which is certainly ATL.

But yea, that's a tough one.

given the match up you gotta go with shiancoe.

49ers have a great run defense, but their pass defense is mediocre, which is why im contemplating cutler. but youre right, they (likely) arent going to be playing catch up, like they were last week.

I can only start two of these three:

- Jennings (vs. DAL)
- LDT (vs. PHI)
- Sims-Walker (@ NYJ)

Also, which TE should I go with?

- Witten (@ GB)
- Shockey (@ STL)

[quote name='javeryh']I can only start two of these three:

- Jennings (vs. DAL)
- LDT (vs. PHI)
- Sims-Walker (@ NYJ)

- Witten (@ GB)
- Shockey (@ STL)[/QUOTE]

In a PPR (point per reception) league its easily Jennings and Sims-Walker. Jennings has been emerging lately and Sims-Walker has been a beast (when hes active). Tomlinson is done. Stick a fork in him.

Even in a non-PPR, I'd still lean towards the 2 WR's.

I'd go with Witten for the TE. Hes more consistent than Shockey because there are so many mouths to feed in New Orleans. Shockey has a better chance at putting up a monster game but I'd still lean towards Witten, although hes been a dissapointment.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Forte vs SF or Mendenhall vs DEN?[/QUOTE]

given their past performances you gotta go with mendenhall.

[quote name='javeryh']I can only start two of these three:

- Jennings (vs. DAL)
- LDT (vs. PHI)
- Sims-Walker (@ NYJ)

- Witten (@ GB)
- Shockey (@ STL)[/QUOTE]

shockey. the rams will get beat up this game and he has a much better upside. for someone reason witten just hasnt been a huge player in dallas this year and i wouldnt expect that to change this week. that being said, he has the potential for sure, this could be his breakout week. but shockey is the safer play.

[quote name='Dahk']
Even in a non-PPR, I'd still lean towards the 2 WR's.

[/QUOTE]

agreed. LT is riding my bench this week. he hasnt performed well all year and philly has a good D.

I'm currently 1 game out of the Wild card spot in my league. This week I face a guy who is 3-6 but has some favorable matchups:

Brees vs St. Louis
R. Rice vs Cleveland
R. Brown vs Tampa Bay

So here are my choices:

Rivers vs Philadelphia
McNabb vs San Diego

I would go with Rivers but he has really been up and down this year (literally).

week 1 - 14 pts
week 2 - 26 pts
week 3 - 16 pts
week 4 - 26 pts
week 5 - bye
week 6 - 14 pts
week 7 - 29 pts
week 8 - 13 pts
week 9 - 23 pts

Not even the bye week changed the pattern he's been on this year. McNabb on the other hand is either hit or miss. I would trade him but my league has seveal a-holes who always convince their "friends" to object to every trade. I gave up on trading McNabb and Shockey (had several deals set up for both).

The question that I have is at RB.

Tomlinson vs Philadelphia
K. Smith vs Minnesota

I'm only comtemplating Smith because LDT sucks ass. I really need a solid 2nd RB but the WW is pretty thin at RB and trading is not an option. It's funny but it seems like I have the same questions every week. BTW, Justin Fargas (vs KC) is available on the WW (desperate much? :lol:).

[quote name='Kilraven']I'd go with Charles, he's atleast got a legit roll with LJ gone. Betts is a nice pick-up, but for what? a week maybe?[/QUOTE]

I picked up Charles last week and put him in against Jacksonville. I thought it was a favorable matchup but the Chiefs just can't decide which back to go with. They divided the carries between Charles, Smith, and Savage.

Who should I start this week at WR?
Vincent Jackson & Roddy White are pretty much no-brainers but my 3rd spot is up in the air. Should I play Austin Collie, Michael Crabtree, or Santana Moss?

I keep going back & forth on this one.

Flex spot ?: Mendenhall vs CIN or Megatron vs MIN

PPR league, standard scoring otherwise.

Tough call. Cincinnati actually has a real D but Pittsburgh is really good. You never know what you are going to get with Megatron since he is dependent on Stafford but you have to feel like the Lions are going to be behind the entire game and throwing it all over the place. The only problem is that the Vikings can double-team him since there is no one else who is any kind of threat. I'd probably go with Mendenhall.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']jamaal charles or ladell betts on the waiver wire? darren mcfadden maybe?

smith and LT both have bad match ups this week.[/QUOTE]

Charles and Betts are gone but Darren McFadden is available. Here are some of the players who are available:

McFadden
Buckhalter
Donald Brown
Michael Bush
Justin Fargas
Beanie Wells
Derrick Ward

All are backups, RB by committee or coming off injury.

Dang, slim pickings.

Fargas might not be a bad option though it remains to be seen if mcfadden will take too many of his chances.

Buckhalter likewise against washington could be good.

Idk, i'd prob go with either of those.

bread's done
Back