FGT XXII harassed Ono via Twitter #SF4Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jimbo Slice'](much better than Rolento, though)[/QUOTE]
you say that like it means something

sickburn.gif

I suck at Tekken Tag 2. I used to be so good at fighting games. What happened? I guess having a kid eats away at your soul or something.

I won a Tekken Tag tourney 12 years ago. Am I really that rusty?

Still, Tekken Tag 2 is fun as hell. Think I'll stick to offline mode for the rest of my days and beat my scrub friends.

[quote name='Rodimus']I suck at Tekken Tag 2. I used to be so good at fighting games. What happened? I guess having a kid eats away at your soul or something.

I won a Tekken Tag tourney 12 years ago. Am I really that rusty?

Still, Tekken Tag 2 is fun as hell. Think I'll stick to offline mode for the rest of my days and beat my scrub friends.[/QUOTE]
the average player is a lot stronger than 5 years ago thanks to technology like youtube and now even livestreams

[quote name='kainzero']the average player is a lot stronger than 5 years ago thanks to technology like youtube and now even livestreams[/QUOTE]

Back in the day, we had to buy VHS tapes of CASUALS to learn new shit.

I still have a VHS tape here of Korean casuals in TTT1, with additional rare bonus footage of Tekken Tag Turbo.

i almost lost to a guy yesterday playing hwoarang who did nothing but medium and high attack strings.

wow i am terrible at this game

i hate people who pick dark costumes and play on dark stages

maaaan
actually i hate this game because i keep losing to shitty players

I haven't touched Ghost Mode in Tekken yet, but I heard you can unlock endings in it. I'm finding Arcade mode too tedious. Is switching to Ghost mode a quicker way?

So... when do you guys think fighting games will become a thing of the past again?

As for what I'm playing now. DoA5 looks great, but that's about it. Tekken has awesome online and lots of features... but learning the game is still daunting. Play a little Persona 4 here and there, but it's become that flavor of the week.

Frankly there are just too many games, and having shifted to the PC Master Race, I'm feeling almost done with consoles. Heck, maybe Windows 8 will be so bad, it'll force me back.

At least you have options!

I am stuck with just PC fighting games and M$ finally just cleared up my GFWL account issue yesterday.

I dont know how much of it will be on stream, but SC5 at Seasons Beatings starts at 9 pm central today. I'll be up in the hotel researching players and doing drills all day before showtime.

[quote name='kainzero']i hate ogre. he's so big and i dunno what he's doing. i don't even know what limbs are attacking me.[/QUOTE]

I hate not knowing the moves in the game yet haha. Him and Jinpachi really mess me up with random ass moves that I've never seen in my life.

[quote name='kainzero']i hate people who pick dark costumes and play on dark stages

maaaan
actually i hate this game because i keep losing to shitty players[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='Rodimus']I haven't touched Ghost Mode in Tekken yet, but I heard you can unlock endings in it. I'm finding Arcade mode too tedious. Is switching to Ghost mode a quicker way?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, keep on doing Ghost Mode, after a few fights you should see that you can pick an opponent who has their name highlighted in gold. Fight them for an ending, customize items or sometimes both.

[quote name='option.iv']So... when do you guys think fighting games will become a thing of the past again?

As for what I'm playing now. DoA5 looks great, but that's about it. Tekken has awesome online and lots of features... but learning the game is still daunting. Play a little Persona 4 here and there, but it's become that flavor of the week.

Frankly there are just too many games, and having shifted to the PC Master Race, I'm feeling almost done with consoles. Heck, maybe Windows 8 will be so bad, it'll force me back.[/QUOTE]

Probably soonish, I think. And then in a few years they'll announce SF5 and they'll be kinda big again.

[quote name='j-cart']At least you have options!

I am stuck with just PC fighting games and M$ finally just cleared up my GFWL account issue yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Get your PS3 fixed!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont know how much of it will be on stream, but SC5 at Seasons Beatings starts at 9 pm central today. I'll be up in the hotel researching players and doing drills all day before showtime.[/QUOTE]

Good luck Dr Mario Man! I'll be checking the stream throughout the night to try and catch your matches.

SF5 has gotta be in the works, but as for fighting games dying it's really the fault of the developers. If you want a scene with longevity you can't leave the job solely to the community anymore. You need to be on top of patching, contributing towards events, having stable netcodes with competitive features, and providing ways of learning the game instead of simply throwing a system out there and saying "here's a rubix cube, go fuck yourself."

It's the year 2012, I want constant connectivity, especially for games that require a community to enjoy. The fact that there's a casual audience that drops $60 on SF games to play through story mode and mash out fire balls for a week before trading them back in is beyond me, but that's who the industry is still geared towards. There are actually reviewers who still dock fighters with shallow story modes, like "end boss is so cheap 6/10."

$60 games still feel like bare bones ports of arcade games from the late 90s. Even when a game like DoA5 adds something awesome like frame data in training mode, who the hell even knows what frame data is aside from deeply competitive players? There's so much that games like these need in order to thrive, and yet they are always the most primitive when compared to other genres.

imo cut all this cheesy story shit and CGI and give us features that matter. i mean, why the hell am i still unlocking characters? for fuck's sake

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont know how much of it will be on stream, but SC5 at Seasons Beatings starts at 9 pm central today. I'll be up in the hotel researching players and doing drills all day before showtime.[/QUOTE]
You got the Touch.

You got the POWER.

of JGs

Kick some ass and take some names

[quote name='j-cart']CGI? All we got in SFxT were picture still endings.

Fighting games will still always be a niche market.[/QUOTE]

Wut? SFxT had CGI endings for official teams.

[quote name='distgfx']Wut? SFxT had CGI endings for official teams.[/QUOTE]

Official teams?

So I have to like play story mode with a determined set of characters?

What is this shit?

[quote name='j-cart']Official teams?

So I have to like play story mode with a determined set of characters?

What is this shit?[/QUOTE]

If you really wanna see them, just go to the game's folder. They're all just fucking WMV files anyway.

i don't think fighting games will die because we have good netcode that's only getting better.
the competitive scene will continue to be messy, though.

[quote name='distgfx']If you really wanna see them, just go to the game's folder. They're all just fucking WMV files anyway.[/QUOTE]

No shit? That's cool, means I don't have to play that game.

[quote name='kainzero']i don't think fighting games will die because we have good netcode that's only getting better.
the competitive scene will continue to be messy, though.[/QUOTE]

Good netcode didn't save Skullgirls. Unless you guys are secretly playing that game behind my back.

Fighting games certainly have made a return, by how the next editions will fair would be purely based on the competitive aspect of the game. See SFxT.

i'm not talking about each specific game having netcode. just... netcode in general right now makes playing fighters online fun, which is i why i think they'll be around for a while.

SFxT was a victim of bad press all around.

I know what you meant :) I was just trying to see if people even tried Skullgirls in the first place :D

In other news, I actually have my GWFL account live, so I can some SSF4AE online again with other PC players!

[quote name='kainzero']i don't think fighting games will die because we have good netcode that's only getting better.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I think this is a major part of what helped the "boom" in 2009 and after.

[quote name='j-cart']I was just trying to see if people even tried Skullgirls in the first place :D[/QUOTE]

I did, but I didn't like it. I ended up going back to SFxT.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']AE? Nasty.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='kainzero']i'm not talking about each specific game having netcode. just... netcode in general right now makes playing fighters online fun, which is i why i think they'll be around for a while.

SFxT was a victim of bad press all around.[/QUOTE]
Bad press? Well you can say a lot of how the game was received by the community led to bad press. It's a bad game. Mechanics wise and how it's structured (DLC gems, which no one cared for). I haven't been keeping up, but I keep seeing articles in my feed talking about how they're still patching and updating the game. Last I heard, no one gives a shit about the game. What demographic are they trying to salvage and win back?

Also with jcart, Skullgirls had awesome netcode. Game was flavor of the week. Soul Calibur 5 when it came out had the best netcode of any 3d fighter, but that too became flavor of the week. Tekken has arguably some of the best netcode this generation, but I have a pretty good feeling it'll follow suit.

My stance on netcode and "fun-ness" is that it doesn't add to the fun, it just alleviates frustration and reduces complaints the better the connection. Even though Tekken netcode is out of this world good, it's still not that arcade experience. I doubt that'll ever be possible, but remember when SF4 came out people were trying to be hip and would place quarters on their TV (when there was no reason to do so since they were most likely the only person in the house). It was the nostalgia factor. Now that well has run dry and people are for sure more critical on fighting game releases. No doubt that nostalgia played a big part in the 2009 revival.

Too many games, not enough time. People are moving on. Doesn't help everyone and their mother is playing Borderlands 2 right now.

@jcart: Tried skullgirls, liked it at first (even got decent with Painwheel). Until I kept bumping into the brokenness that was Double's ass assist which was far from ass. Last I heard they fixed that, but something about the anti-infinite system irked me. Not that I want infinites, but when the combos simply became a simple formula of doing the same loop but starting with different attacks... ughh.

5th place. I think I had a good shot to do a lot better or win it, but I blew it. I got beat by someone's pocket Voldo mostly because I dont have a lot of experience with the matchup. I gave the guys who placed 1st and 2nd a lot more trouble in casuals afterwards than the people who placed 3rd and 4th did. Bah. That wont happen again though.

I did put a drunk Bibulus in losers in the 2nd round though.

[quote name='option.iv']Bad press? Well you can say a lot of how the game was received by the community led to bad press. It's a bad game. Mechanics wise and how it's structured (DLC gems, which no one cared for). I haven't been keeping up, but I keep seeing articles in my feed talking about how they're still patching and updating the game. Last I heard, no one gives a shit about the game. What demographic are they trying to salvage and win back?[/QUOTE]
The bad press started with the On-Disc DLC, which led to outrage beyond the community.

After MrWizard pre-emptively announced SFxT wouldn't be at next year's Evo, a lot of top players came out in defense of the game and the announcement was withdrawn.

I feel like it's a decent game. The gem system wasn't implemented well but I think it's fun. However the community loves to bandwagon and once a game is shunned it pretty much has no hope of coming back. The majority of players are terrible at games so a lot of times they complain about shit that doesn't concern their level of play. I've seen many complain about Jab Fighter x Tekken, but they can't even do combos or basic anti-airing.

[quote name='option.iv']
@jcart: Tried skullgirls, liked it at first (even got decent with Painwheel). Until I kept bumping into the brokenness that was Double's ass assist which was far from ass. Last I heard they fixed that, but something about the anti-infinite system irked me. Not that I want infinites, but when the combos simply became a simple formula of doing the same loop but starting with different attacks... ughh.[/QUOTE]

The ass assist being godlike and the lack of the patch update is inadvertently my fault :D

@jimbo slizzice: when you sent me that message i was getting my car smog checked! we need to play sometime so i can feel less bad about losing to button mashers.

[quote name='kainzero']The bad press started with the On-Disc DLC, which led to outrage beyond the community.

After MrWizard pre-emptively announced SFxT wouldn't be at next year's Evo, a lot of top players came out in defense of the game and the announcement was withdrawn.

I feel like it's a decent game. The gem system wasn't implemented well but I think it's fun. However the community loves to bandwagon and once a game is shunned it pretty much has no hope of coming back. The majority of players are terrible at games so a lot of times they complain about shit that doesn't concern their level of play. I've seen many complain about Jab Fighter x Tekken, but they can't even do combos or basic anti-airing.[/QUOTE]
Haha, jab fighter x tekken... Just watched the EVO finals (decided to not watch most of it) and most of the damage came off Rolento jab confirm into auto combo. And fitting that the very last hit to clench the championship was a jab. Jabs are/were powerful in the game because of +frames, hitting crouched chars (why this is, I don't know), and being the fastest moves in the game. Though I'm not sure about the status of the game now since they have done several balance patches since the beginning.

afaik rolento's jabs were nerfed as was ryu's safe joudan.

i think yellow life doesn't come back as fast anymore either.

i totally forgot about time over. yeah that was a problem but mostly because you'd see top players exchanging fireballs when there's 30 seconds left and one of them has a big life lead. yeah you're not gonna win like that.

[quote name='distgfx']Evo finals were ass and an embarrassment to that game.[/QUOTE]
Well at the time, that's how the game was supposed to be played. Laugh and Infil stuck to the plan and it payed off. You wanted high level? That was high level...

Jabbenum jabbenum jabbenum...

i feel like tekken is a good game, but it hasn't taken off because new blood isn't injected in the scene so it won't grow...

yes i made someone ragequit in ttt2 yesterday

i also threw this one guy like 9 times and then he threw me 15 times in the rematch. i kept hitting the wrong throw escape. i mean man, i only needed 1 or 2 break, and i kept hitting the wrong one =\

From the scrubs I've played in TT2 people pick 5 or 6 bread n' butter combos with a character and just stick to those. And you can be sure if I play a Kazuya there's a uf,4,4,4,4 in there at least a dozen times.

Is it me or is high level Tekken play annoying to watch?

[quote name='Rodimus']
Is it me or is high level Tekken play annoying to watch?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back