Fighting Game Thread 8 went so deep, so deep, put that ass to sleep

[quote name='KingBroly']While it might be the go-to models, it's still getting a bit stale. It's sort of the reason that turned people off fighting games (aside from them being way too complex).[/QUOTE]
I've never, ever heard anyone say the reason they flat-out refused to play Street Fighter was because it wasn't pretty enough.

[quote name='distgfx']I think the fact we have online play now will save the genre. There's always competition thanks to online play. Not to mention, each fighter is unique and actually good. :cool:[/QUOTE]
I agree. HDR is what brought me back because the netcode was so good and there was an abundance of competition. I got out of fighters for a while since I didn't have any friends that were interested in playing and online wasn't quite there. I'd certainly play some here and there, but didn't follow it as closely. The lack of arcades also kind of diminished my interest since there wasn't anywhere to go and play.

What's different about this "boom" compared to the 90s is you don't have every developer working on their own fighting game with a few good ones and a lot of really bad ones. I mean when you look at it that way, that's basically what FPS games are right now.

I'm I the only one that feels like I'm getting older and unpolished while fighters are getting younger and harder to master? I wish I was 18 again.

Happy B-day Asian!!!

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm I the only one that feels like I'm getting older and unpolished while fighters are getting younger and harder to master? I wish I was 18 again.

Happy B-day Asian!!![/QUOTE]

Seems like there's more youngins in the scene, too. That's what makes me feel old.

[quote name='Chacrana']I just wish Tekken 6's online wasn't literally unplayable. It's fine when I play against hank, since he lives like an hour away, but it's pretty awful against anyone else :([/QUOTE]

I've never really had any issues playing online. Anything from 3-5 runs and synchs smoothly. Even the 2 games are usually OK.

[quote name='will530']I've never really had any issues playing online. Anything from 3-5 runs and synchs smoothly. Even the 2 games are usually OK.[/QUOTE]

For real? Anything below 5 for me is unplayable, because you are unable to juggle at all, break throws, low parry and the lag favors those who just constantly attack because your commands don't register as quickly as you are coming out of guard.

I've had 5 bar matches where it felt like the game was dropping frames or something... I was having horrible flashbacks to DOA4.

i thought the tekken vs sf thing was a joke but doesnt look like it lol

but really it jsut seems like 2 games

3d tekken with maybe fire balls
and
got the 2nd game thats i bet will be like with new tekken chrs and i bet little focus on juggling :)

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']For real? Anything below 5 for me is unplayable, because you are unable to juggle at all, break throws, low parry and the lag favors those who just constantly attack because your commands don't register as quickly as you are coming out of guard.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I can't do bound combos or juggle for shit below 5

I am the only who's looking at MvC3 right now and saying the Marvel characters look really overpowered while the Capcom characters look bad? There are a couple of exceptions (Dante and to some extent Chun-Li) but overall it seems like the Capcom characters really suck (especially Chris Redfield).

[quote name='KingBroly']I am the only who's looking at MvC3 right now and saying the Marvel characters look really overpowered while the Capcom characters look bad? There are a couple of exceptions (Dante and to some extent Chun-Li) but overall it seems like the Capcom characters really suck (especially Chris Redfield).[/QUOTE]

Too early to tell. Right now Super Skrull, Iron Man, Captain America, Dante and Amaterasu all seem really good, but the game is going to be balanced and tweaked so much by the time it comes out that it will all change (they were already talking about reducing Iron Man's speed).

[quote name='Dandeschain']Did anybody get NGBC? If so, would you like to play sometime? Also, what system is everybody getting BBCS for?[/QUOTE]

I have NGBC. At first there was several games. Then it got a little slow and now I'm lucky to find a ranked match. I'm getting BBCS for PS3.

BB on PS3 I'm guessing. Not sure. Can't even say I'm too hyped ether, games been out for about a year and while having a home version will be nice, just can't find myself caring all to much.. :( Even more so seeing how Starcraft comes out the same day.

[quote name='KingBroly']I am the only who's looking at MvC3 right now and saying the Marvel characters look really overpowered while the Capcom characters look bad? There are a couple of exceptions (Dante and to some extent Chun-Li) but overall it seems like the Capcom characters really suck (especially Chris Redfield).[/QUOTE]

It's still too soon to say anything about how much the characters dish out. By the time us commonfolk get our hands on it, everything will be balanced, damage-wise.

Like everyone is saying, I think it's too early to tell. Plus there's still a lot of characters to be introduced so who knows?

Might I remind you though of MVC2's tier list...

God Tier:
Sentinel
Storm
Magneto
Cable

Top Tier:
Cyclops
Iron Man
War Machine
Doctor Doom
Strider
Spiral

Upper Tier:
Blackheart
Psylocke
Captain Commando
Tron Bonne
Dhalsim
Anakaris

Not that it'll be the same, but that game was pretty heavily skewed to the Marvel side. I'm sure it'll be a lot closer in this game.
-----

Oh and BBCS for Xbox here. Can't wait!

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Oh yeah! Happy Birthday AsianxCore! \o/[/QUOTE]

Also thanks to Rodimus, Rolento and Uraizen for the B-Day Wishes.

Had the best Birthday celebration today. Already feeling younger than most of the people I meet in the SF scene now at 27.

[quote name='asianxcore']Also thanks to Rodimus, Rolento and Uraizen for the B-Day Wishes.

Had the best Birthday celebration today. Already feeling younger than most of the people I meet in the SF scene now at 27.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, late to the party, but happy birthday! :bouncy:
[quote name='Mr. Beef']Damn, a year and a half older than I am. Everytime I feel like I'm older than everyone, I always get surprised.[/QUOTE]
Just because your dick is all wrinkled up doesn't mean you're old, silly Beef.

[quote name='MtlTom']
Might I remind you though of MVC2's tier list...
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kainzero']lolwut tierlist already

remember when zangief was top in vanilla
yeah he wasn't top after a while[/QUOTE]

Tierlist was for MVC2, but I'd think tier lists pop up earlier and earlier based on impressions.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Tierlist was for MVC2, but I'd think tier lists pop up earlier and earlier based on impressions.[/QUOTE]
yeah i saw that but i mean people are trying to tier mvc3 already, putting dante up top and stuff. they haven't even played the game!

as for mvc2, you can't tier by character, you need to tier by team. strider/magneto/sentinel is not a top tier team. nor is tron/storm/capcom. there's synergy in DHCs and assists. capcom sucks on point but his assist really helps out a lot of characters so you see him on a couple top tier teams.

Would it be completely retarded to make a version with these characters at their comic-based power levels?

Maybe Hulk as the final fight, just smashing shit to bits.

It'd royally screw up the balance, but I'd think it would be pretty fun. Then again, a lot of pros don't like fun.

[quote name='kainzero']lolwut tierlist already

remember when zangief was top in vanilla
yeah he wasn't top after a while[/QUOTE]
He's climbin' his way back up. All runnin' wild on Justin Wong.

Happy b-day, asianxcore!

Does anyone here have the ASUS VH236H?

Do you like it? What settings (Resolution, Game Mode On/Off, etc) do you have it at to keep input lag at a minimal?

Additional thanks to B:L and Hank for the B-Day Wishes.

There are only color settings, no game mode, as it isn't even a TV. It's basically an LCD monitor. No input delay from the year or two I've been playing on it. Be warned, the sound sucks on it, so either get headphones or an external speaker system. I think dist also has the same monitor? And maybe someone else?

[quote name='Bloodbooger']It'd royally screw up the balance, but I'd think it would be pretty fun. Then again, a lot of pros don't like fun.[/QUOTE]
competitive players play a single game for years. they travel to other states and countries to play a game, meeting people within the community and get hype for tournaments.

on the other hand, people who mash buttons for a week and lol before quitting forever are the ones who say they "play for fun."

[quote name='Bloodbooger']It'd royally screw up the balance, but I'd think it would be pretty fun. Then again, a lot of pros don't like fun.[/QUOTE]
ekj6uv.jpg

[quote name='Bloodbooger']
It'd royally screw up the balance, but I'd think it would be pretty fun. Then again, a lot of pros don't like fun.[/QUOTE]

casuals can appreciate game balance. My friends who play SSFIV for fun like the idea that they can pick whoever they want without being at an obvious disadvantage, aside from a couple of obvious outliers.

[quote name='asianxcore']Does anyone here have the ASUS VH236H?

Do you like it? What settings (Resolution, Game Mode On/Off, etc) do you have it at to keep input lag at a minimal?

Additional thanks to B:L and Hank for the B-Day Wishes.[/QUOTE]

I do, no special settings needed, but it'd be good to keep it at its native resolution of 1920x1080 if possible.

[quote name='kainzero']competitive players play a single game for years. they travel to other states and countries to play a game, meeting people within the community and get hype for tournaments.

on the other hand, people who mash buttons for a week and lol before quitting forever are the ones who say they "play for fun."[/QUOTE]

Pssh, that's not fun, that's work! Haha I get it though, you don't walk into a fighting game thread and poop all over the hardcore fans. I still think that attitude is the reason you only fight the same damn characters over and over though, people follow tier-list like it's an instant win.

I don't even buy RPG's anymore, because I know I'll never finish them. Sometimes you just want to drop in and play for a few minutes and that's where I pick up a fighter.

[quote name='ninja dog']casuals can appreciate game balance. My friends who play SSFIV for fun like the idea that they can pick whoever they want without being at an obvious disadvantage, aside from a couple of obvious outliers.[/QUOTE]

In Street Fighter, I want balance; but you take Marvel characters and they're never remotely close to their original power levels. I wouldn't want that as the main version of a fighter, but an exhibition mode would be cool.

I guess that goes with the territory of cut-scenes in most games though; not to mention bullets and fireballs should probably put an adversary down in one hit.

[quote name='asianxcore']Does anyone here have the ASUS VH236H?

Additional thanks to B:L and Hank for the B-Day Wishes.[/QUOTE]

AZN, I thought I told you that shit was hot. That shit is the hottest shit. You don't gotta do shit and it's hot.

You don't have to fuck with any settings at all to get it working right. Right out of the box, it was fine for playing Beatmania like a champ. And that means it's pretty damn great. Just buy it -- you'll like it.

[quote name='distgfx']I do, no special settings needed, but it'd be good to keep it at its native resolution of 1920x1080 if possible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='Chacrana']AZN, I thought I told you that shit was hot. That shit is the hottest shit. You don't gotta do shit and it's hot.

You don't have to fuck with any settings at all to get it working right. Right out of the box, it was fine for playing Beatmania like a champ. And that means it's pretty damn great. Just buy it -- you'll like it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. I know a couple of my friends own the monitor but I never asked what settings they had it on or if any at all.

Ordered one yesterday for my Birthday, so it should be here by early next week.

Only reason why I asked about Game Mode, is because Cicada mentioned it on his lag tests on YouTube, that he turned it on to test the monitor to remove as much image processing as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fe8GWgxPwA

[quote name='Chacrana']Cool. You'll love it. And happy belated birthday. I'm a bad internet-friend :([/QUOTE]

Haha don't worry about it. I have friends I see all the time as well as relatives that didn't wish me a Happy Birthday :)

Shini, my B-Day was the 25th.

[quote name='MarkMan']What'd I miss? So busy as of late :(

Going to London/Japan soon.

Hypeothermia[/QUOTE]

They announced Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken X Street Fighter. If you haven't heard about it, I can send you a link. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

bread's done
Back