Final Fantasy Boxed SET ( FFVII, FFVIII,FFIX) Strategy guides

Shadowmoses12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I didn't see a topic on this
http://www.amazon.com/FINAL-FANTASY-FFVII-FFVIII-FFIX/dp/1101898046/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407382752&sr=1-1&keywords=final+fantasy+box+set
$123.49

http://www.gamestop.com/strategy-guides/final-fantasy-box-set-ffvii-ffviii-ffix/116349
$129.99

i'll probably pick this up if the price is right, since i heard the guide for FFIX sucked.

Includes:
• The Final Fantasy Box Set is a must have for fans of this beloved series.

• The set includes hardcover versions of Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX,each comes with a ribbon bookmark and deluxe cover treatment.

• Each guide has been redesigned from scratch and updated with new high resolution screen shots. In
addition, the set comes with three iconic game images printed for first time as holographic lithographs.
• The three holographic prints are secured in a beautiful slipcase with magnetic closure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, moved up again eh? Guess that works for me since March was filling up pretty quick with preorders. I got these locked in at the $77 mark I think and then I added that $10 holiday promotion code (was hoping for the full 30% off or whatever it was, but it maxed out at $10), so $67 for these aren't bad.  They looked pretty plain in that picture we had of these from last years con, but there wasn't any pictures of the inside, just the 3 books and box IIRC.

I agree with the page 1... If the FF 9 guide, covers that which used to be exclusive to Playonline.com... Then might be worth talking about. Anyone have any details on that aspect?

I agree with the page 1... If the FF 9 guide, covers that which used to be exclusive to Playonline.com... Then might be worth talking about. Anyone have any details on that aspect?
Each guide has been redesigned from scratch and updated with new high resolution screen shots. In addition, the set comes with three iconic game images printed for first time as holographic lithographs.

It looks like this is now set for 07/0715.  Gamestop had is listed for 12/31/15 at one point, but the pushed all the way up to 07/07, so i'm hopeful that this is the actual date, and won't get moved again.

It looks like this is now set for 07/0715. Gamestop had is listed for 12/31/15 at one point, but the pushed all the way up to 07/07, so i'm hopeful that this is the actual date, and won't get moved again.
I'm curious to know if Square-Enix plans on saying something about this (or at least the PS4 version of FFVII, which hasn't been mentioned since its reveal) at E3, which takes place only two weeks prior to that release date. :whistle2:k

Just received an email that my amazon set will be delivered on release day so looks like no more delays in this set.

Are there any previews of the set?  I'd really like to see one before deciding whether or not it's worth it.

I'm still on the fence if I should keep my Amazon preorder. I reserved the set when it was seventy-eight dollars too (not sure if it dipped lower at any point).

I could put the money towards a badass Wonder Woman statue instead...

I've been on the fence, but I think I'm going to cancel. That's still $26 a guide for old games. I don't think hardcover + a box + three lithographs are enough for me to consider it a major collector's item. I haven't even paid $20 a guide for new release games on release date let alone old ones.

I've been on the fence, but I think I'm going to cancel. That's still $26 a guide for old games. I don't think hardcover + a box + three lithographs are enough for me to consider it a major collector's item. I haven't even paid $20 a guide for new release games on release date let alone old ones.
I consider it worthwhile for both the hardcovers and a completely rewritten FFIX guide.

Yeah, was contemplating canceling as it may end up dropping in price a la the FF Sky books, but I'm okay with ~$22 guide (used the 30% off $10 max promo coupon back in january on my preorder).

Hoping it gets delayed another week though as I've got a bunch of things going through next week :)

I'm still having trouble rationalizing why they'd release these now--FFVII makes some sense with the PS4 port coming in October, but FFVIII and FFIX don't, really. :whistle2:k

Yeah, but even the FF7 doesn't make a lot of sense since they've announced that its not going to be a straight remake, so the guide won't be of any use.  I believe they said something along the lines of "why would people want to play the same game over again"?  Ummm.... cuz its been 15 years?!

Yeah, but even the FF7 doesn't make a lot of sense since they've announced that its not going to be a straight remake, so the guide won't be of any use. I believe they said something along the lines of "why would people want to play the same game over again"? Ummm.... cuz its been 15 years?!
He is talking about the one coming out in Winter on PSN, not the remake. The one coming soon is a PC port.

He is talking about the one coming out in Winter on PSN, not the remake. The one coming soon is a PC port.
ANOTHER PC Port? I've still got my old-school PC version of FF7 around somewhere. Its got a weird triangular-shape box. Didn't even realize they were making another one.

ANOTHER PC Port? I've still got my old-school PC version of FF7 around somewhere. Its got a weird triangular-shape box. Didn't even realize they were making another one.
They already made it....It's been on PC for...like 1-2 years? I know it was sold directly on the SE site and then on Steam, and now coming to PC.

The issue with the PC version you have is it has a lot of issues running on newer hardware. I believe it had to do with DirectX, don't recall exactly.

Been waiting almost a year for these.  Totally
shaq-fu%2196.gif
ing stoked for them to arrive.

Definitely interested, the design is perfect to match on my bookshelf. I need a preview. I'm very particular about strategy guides.

Decided to cancel my order with Amazon. I just don't see the value for the price that they're charging, even at the $79 I had locked in.

I'm still buying them. Hell, I'm getting them for technically free now since I had enough Coinstar credit saved up, just putting my loose coins away while waiting for these got me enough money.

These books could have cost $50 more and I would have bought them on release.  Hardcover strategy guides for a couple of the best games of all time aren't for everyone.

I actually saw these in a game store today. It was shrink wrapped and behind glass. It looked "meh".

The full MSRP sticker of $130 didn't help change my mind either.

Hoping to see this in the $50~ range in the future.  That list price is absurd. $15-20/guide should be the max, which the lithographs being a "bonus".

Otherwise I wish they would just list the FF9 guide for $20~ since it is really the only one I'm interested in.... since the alternative has no information in it (stupid playonline)

Got shipping notice FINALLY on these.  Seems like there's a lot of dis-like for these, so I image we'll see a lower price on Amazon in the coming weeks/months, but I'm content with what I paid for them. If prices drop like crazy I can always contact Amazon and ask for a credit for the difference in place of a return/rebuy since I'll probably keep these sealed for a bit)

Whoa, where have you been hearing that? I've been scouring all kinds of sites for info on these and no one's been saying anything.
Maybe the "I'm canceling this" posts in this thread?
Yeah, the abundance of "i"m cancelling this" or "no way I'm paying that much for a decade+ old game" or "nope, wait til it drops" posts that have been all over this thread (and the "guide book" thread) and twitter, and two other forums I'm a part of.

For $78 this is probably the most exciting thing I'm buying this year.  Yeah I can't believe all the bitching over $26 hardcover collector's books.  All the people whining about prices obviously don't buy any books nor collect hardcover guides.  Yeah, you don't buy books. Or you aren't FF fans.  So who cares? 

Sure maybe it drops a few bucks to $20/book at the most.  Now imagine the prices on these if they sellout quickly.

Yeah, the abundance of "i"m cancelling this" or "no way I'm paying that much for a decade+ old game" or "nope, wait til it drops" posts that have been all over this thread (and the "guide book" thread) and twitter, and two other forums I'm a part of.
I'm talking about people who have actually READ the books. I thought some stores had broken street on them and people had negative opinions of the actual content of the books.

I'm talking about people who have actually READ the books. I thought some stores had broken street on them and people had negative opinions of the actual content of the books.
Oh no, sorry, can't say anything about that. Though I did see that some places already have this, just haven't seen/read anyone opening theirs yet (though there was an unboxing vid I think on ce.org or elsewhere). Mine is due in today or tomorrow I think and I might just have to open them and compare them to the original guides to see the difference.

I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. The last time I read about these guides being publicly visible was at some conference behind glass so you could only see the hardcover exteriors.

Totally fine with the minimal white presentation.  It matches the other guides as well.  Only the spines show anyways.  A couple of my guides like Super Mario 3D world look goofy as shit on the shelves with their cartoony spines.

Oh yeah, here's what it was, Prima had tweeted this out the other day:

http://www.primagames.com/feature/look-inside-final-fantasy-vii-viii-ix-box-set

Edit: meant to add that I was a little disappointed by the lack of art/color on anything -- it was just TOO white IMO.
I'm laughing way too hard at those " high quality lithographs." Someone just google imaged and printed the first result. When I look at those I feel like I should have scissors to cut the white edges off. Putting that aside I'm actually a big fan of the look. They all have the same theme going and there does seem to be substantial information on the pages that were previewed.

The downside is the length, the width, and the height of the guides look a bit too small for my liking. I won't be satisfied if its just a run-of-the-mill walkthrough. There better be character bios, list of equipment/bestiary/entire section(s) for mini games, a 2-3 page interview from Square about why these guides were made, etc. Just give me a ton of additional information like you see on most Piggyback guides. While the look does tempt me to buy, I'm going to need more info on the length.

If the FFIX guide is drastically improved I might be interested. Waiting for a lower price for now, though. Bought the Amano art collection right away, and we all saw how cheap that got.

If the FFIX guide is drastically improved I might be interested. Waiting for a lower price for now, though. Bought the Amano art collection right away, and we all saw how cheap that got.
People keep saying this. But I bought this as a new pre-release for $52.93 from amazon.com on Jan 31, 2013. and it's currently being sold new for $50. What am I missing?

I'm not ordering til I see what it looks like on the inside. I honestly liked the old guides everyone used to make with all the pictures because I like to draw and loved looking at the bios and stuff like that, now everything is so wordy. I know that's why we have art books for, but I still like the old school guides like the one for DW7 :)

bread's done
Back